homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let's Bitch About the Weather! (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let's Bitch About the Weather!
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK Bingo, you're right. Savor that, because you'll never hear me say it again

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Sandemaniac:
On the bright side, the Scottish parliament has passed the Gay Marriage bill up there, so they should get the shitty weather for a bit instead of us. [Devil]

You'll like this then, which came up on the twitter feed of one of our clerical equal marriage activists....
Cue me laughing and Sandemaniac grinning like an eedjit as he looks over my shoulder.

I'm just wondering how much of our area will be above water by the end of the weekend - it's not so much the rain all day around Oxford, it's the rain for several days upstream of us that's worrying me. Especially as most of the flood plain has already flooded... At least we live on the first floor rather than the ground floor [Razz]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had landslides locally, and trees down across the roads.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
I'm just wondering how much of our area will be above water by the end of the weekend - it's not so much the rain all day around Oxford, it's the rain for several days upstream of us that's worrying me. Especially as most of the flood plain has already flooded... At least we live on the first floor rather than the ground floor [Razz]

If it's any consolation, in my part of the world, the waters are higher than usual but they'd need to rise quite a bit to be a menace. But who knows what this weekend holds.
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Slush and sleet and slop and slogging through it in boots that weren't waterproof enough. I spent the whole day at work with wet feet. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Boy, oh, boy. You never forget the first time you step into a freezing cold puddle in what are supposed to be waterproof boots/shoes, do you? I had that happen the other day and just kept having to step in icy puddles until my feet were so numb... sigh. And, somehow, I STILL want to move back to the Pacific Northwest! Hell, I should be thinking about Florida!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heart-felt thanks to all who shipped their excess rain and snow to California.
[Overused]

Please keep it coming! (Though in moderate amounts at a time, spread around the state. The ground is so parched that it can't soak up the water very well, and some places have floods.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome, but don't get too picky mind! [Razz]

[ 08. February 2014, 19:03: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had to shovel my car out of the snow - that is quite rare for this part of Oregon. (But at least we no longer have 150' of driveway that also has to be cleared.) Later this afternoon we're supposed to get ice and freezing rain instead - right about the time I have to head across town to pick up my wife at the airport. This may be an adventure...
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bring chains, pack the shovel, throw a sandbag or cat litter in the back just in case. you got this!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And don't forget K-rations, chocolate biscuits and drink,together with blankets, fleeces, sleeping bags and GIN (tho in fact I would prefer whisky) just in case it turns into an all night delay.

I used to have the fantasy of spending Christmas with my best beloved in a tent in Glencoe, together with afore mentioned supplies and a lot of roast chicken. It never happened, but on the plus side I'm still living and have never suffered frostbite. You have to take the rough with the smooth in this life... [Biased]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Heart-felt thanks to all who shipped their excess rain and snow to California.
[Overused]

Please keep it coming! (Though in moderate amounts at a time, spread around the state. The ground is so parched that it can't soak up the water very well, and some places have floods.)

-Well l think that was overflow rather than excess, there is plenty more here that we could do without. l think the problem is shipping. We have not found a shipping company who can handle the volume we want to ship especially from the Somerset Levels.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Friday, I left my house and had to jump a gutter stream that had widened to about a foot and a half to get to the passenger side of my car. My wheel was damming the gutter.

I then went to a doctor's appointment at 1, getting there early of course--but the office was closed for lunch till one, so I stood shivering in the rain for 15 minutes. I then returned to my street parked car to find that the blockage in the sewer grate had created a four foot wide pond around my car. I waded to get to my car door and a good half pint of water wound up seeping in through the zipper of my boots.

I squished through my daily routine, fought off crappy drivers and fogged out windows on the way home, and just to put the cherry on the double scoop cone of my day, the second I stepped out of the car, lightning flashed right over the hood if my car as I climbed out. Twice. I have never hauled ass so fast to get inside in my life.
Least it's not a drought.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously Demeter decided to show her power.

The creeks down here on the peninsula seem to be nicely filling.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Today I cultivated an attitude of gratitude and went up and down the coast filming swollen creeks and angry surf.

Hail Demeter!

[ 10. February 2014, 04:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
don't know about anywhere else, but here in the UK, the policitians, Environment Agency etc are fare more interested in arguing about who caused what to flood etc (apparently it's the last Labour government's fault - didn't know Gordon Brown is a rain god, but anyway...) than actually doing anything to help.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Least it's not a drought.

No, but we'll still have a hosepipe ban come the summer.

[ 10. February 2014, 10:20: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Today I cultivated an attitude of gratitude and went up and down the coast filming swollen creeks and angry surf.

Hail Demeter!

What was wrong with it?? It looked like it was trying to avoid stepping on the opposite bank, despite really wanting to go there.
Reminded me of the carnivorous island on life of Pi...

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all OK now, the Prime Minister has announced that all resources will be employed to prevent and relieve flooding.

But it's got a lot closer to London, so we shouldn't be surprised. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
bring chains, pack the shovel, throw a sandbag or cat litter in the back just in case. you got this!

I had chains, two shovels (a trenching shovel with a narrow blade on a long handle is handy when you get high centered on a pile of snow), blankets, etc.

But a simpler solution was to leave the driving to someone else - the MAX train BLUE line runs nearby, then a transfer to the RED line which pulls right into the airport.

So I got to the local BLUE line station and bought a ticket. There was a train there heading the opposite direction which wasn't going anywhere. Turns out that the snow plow was stuck on the tracks, blocking the line.

Back in the car, headed up the freeway (driving wasn't too bad, with little traffic) to the transit center where I could catch the RED line directly. Sure, the elevators down to the station were out of order due to ice and snow, but we'd manage the luggage up the stairs on the return trip. Got on the train, settled in with a good book, and the train couldn't make it up the first hill due to ice on the electrical contacts to the power wire overhead. The train finally backed back into the station, dropped us off, and tried it again empty with the same result - stuck just were we could see the tail lights down the track.

So I offered rides to a couple folks trying to get home, put on the tire chains, and chugged up and over the hills and through downtown Portland on surface streets. At the airport I found that I had lost one of my tire chains along the way.

So heading home I removed the remaining chain and took the freeway at about 30 MPH through light freezing rain. Home safe but exhausted.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It's all OK now, the Prime Minister has announced that all resources will be employed to prevent and relieve flooding.

But it's got a lot closer to London, so we shouldn't be surprised. [Disappointed]

Yes, when I saw that some of the millionaires' houses were being flooded in the Thames valley, I thought, hello, action stations. It's one thing for a few scrubby villages to be flooded in Bogfordshire, but Caroline and Hugh have their place in Berkshire, we can't allow that!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To give him his due, Cameron has actually been to visit the flooded areas in his constituency (Witney, West Oxon) during the earlier floods in January and to talk to some locals. Also, he put on boots and waded in which is more than some other politicians have done.

[ 10. February 2014, 19:12: Message edited by: Ariel ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I know, but I was just watching the news, and there is an extra degree of hysteria, as the Thames starts to bulge, and the floods get nearer to - gasp, London itself, fount of all pleasures and secret license!

A very impressive map actually then appeared, showing in an angry red colour the swollen Thames monstering all before it. As Eliot said, 'the river is a strong brown god, sullen, untamed, untractable'.

Well, I live about 400 metres from it, so here's hoping. My wife wears wellies to work now.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we sit at the front window, my dog and I, waiting for the orange, feral cat to walk by on the white, frozen wasteland, because we think he's kind of cool looking.

We're that bored.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for allowing the rest of us to share the boredom.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slipped and fell on the ice for a second time. My leg hurts now.

I hate ice.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That's so...Kyoto.

(Oops, that was toTwilight, I hadn't refreshed.)

[ 10. February 2014, 23:49: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
quote:

Hail Demeter!

What was wrong with it?? It looked like it was trying to avoid stepping on the opposite bank, despite really wanting to go there.
Reminded me of the carnivorous island on life of Pi...

. Someone cut the audio in this version, but in the original it was pretty clear the little elk was going out of its way to make loud splashy sounds. It's playing.

[ 11. February 2014, 00:38: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So wait, you're basically admitting that you brought playful little animals into a Hell thread?

[Disappointed] To think I looked up to you.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The elk is helping me say fuck you, drought. Listen close.

Sorry, I forgot, the audio is cut, but watch its lips.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am officially done with temps below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. For the winter. Thank you. Also I am officially done with shelling out vast quantities of moolah for the dubious privilege of keeping the thermostat at a point where the pipes don't freeze, but I do. I only own four sets of long johns, and at some point they're going to have to get washed, so WARM UP A LITTLE, DAMMIT.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

...elk have lips?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phoned a friend in UK last night for a chat, another good solid Party member, and we were fantasising about The Thames washing away the Palace of Westminster with all MPs of all parties still in it.

Sadly dreams rarely come true.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
...elk have lips?

How else to they give such fantastic head?

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Portland is now defrosting, after a long weekend of snow. It wasn't so bad, it mostly meant that for three days nobody had to do anything, because we were told not to go anywhere. The city said they weren't going to send the snowplows (I'm not sure if the plural is justified in Portland's case) out because more snow was expected, which is every slacker's excuse. Apropos of which, you can walk down the street and tell where the transplanted Midwesterners live, because they shoveled their goddamn sidewalk. Unlike the native Oregonians, who probably don't even own a snow shovel ("Hey, it's going to melt in three or four days anyway...")

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Phoned a friend in UK last night for a chat, another good solid Party member, and we were fantasising about The Thames washing away the Palace of Westminster with all MPs of all parties still in it.

Sadly dreams rarely come true.

Eric Pickles is the flood supremo and if he could lie down in the way most of London would be protected from flooding.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel:
quote:
Also, he put on boots and waded in which is more than some other politicians have done.
And this miraculously made the waters recede, did it?

Plus he's not the only politician who's been photographed in wellies recently - they're all at it. There was a picture of Nick Clegg in boots on the BBC website today.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see a whole new fetish: politicians in wellies and fig leaves.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shudder. No - Eric Pickles in a fig leaf is the stuff of nightmares.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
And this miraculously made the waters recede, did it?

I never claimed it did. It was Owen Patterson, currently the Environment Secretary, who was criticized recently for turning up at the flooded Somerset Levels, looking at it from a safe distance, making a speech to the TV cameras, not speaking to any of the flood victims, and going away again. Cameron at least got his boots on and spoke to people directly affected by the water.

Incidentally, Eric Pickles has a fan club of two students who take a life-size cardboard cut-out of him on their travels.

[ 11. February 2014, 11:37: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel:
quote:
Incidentally, Eric Pickles has a fan club of two students who take a life-size cardboard cut-out of him on their travels.
[Eek!]
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think he must have been reading this thread. He's just turned up to inspect the floods (and speak to people) locally this afternoon.
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard (on TV) and seen on a few forums a fair bit of bitching about the government and the ever increasing flooding crisis here in the UK but I'd like to know exactly what any government of whatever political shade can do to stop water bubbling up through your kitchen floor, especially when you aren't actually living on a riverbank?

I think Cameron did the right thing today and cut through all the political infighting and point scoring by making the simple statement that there is no limit on the resources available to the flood stricken areas, and he has backed that up by taking control of the situation as well as getting into his waders in the worst hit areas and communicating with the people whose properties and livelihoods are under water.

I watched the BBC news tonight when a worker took the top off a bore hole. To see the gallons of water pouring over the top was scary. If there is that much water in the acquifers with many more storms yet to come then this situation is going to get very much worse before it has a chance to start improving. And there is bound to be a public health risk at some point with all the raw sewage that is bound to be mixed in with the flood waters.

I do wish we'd had another snowy winter. They may have been risky on the bones and probably not so good for the national economy but at least with the misery of rutted ice came the fun of lobbing snowballs and making snowmen, and a deep fresh snowfall has a truly transforming affect even on this former industrial northern town.

Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Sleepwalker:
quote:
I think Cameron did the right thing today and cut through all the political infighting and point scoring by making the simple statement that there is no limit on the resources available to the flood stricken areas...
Yes, I saw he'd said that as well. I don't believe him. This government has spent the last four years telling us they don't have any money and suddenly they've found a bottomless purse to dip into? Puhleeze.

I applaud the sentiments (especially the bit about no more political infighting) but if he really is planning to throw unlimited amounts of money at the problem, what else are they going to have to cut to pay for it?

Snow may look pretty, but when all is said and done it is still frozen water and someday it will melt, so you might get your flood a month later than the precipitation but you will get it eventually.

[ 11. February 2014, 19:48: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sleepwalker:
quote:
I think Cameron did the right thing today and cut through all the political infighting and point scoring by making the simple statement that there is no limit on the resources available to the flood stricken areas...
Yes, I saw he'd said that as well. I don't believe him. This government has spent the last four years telling us they don't have any money and suddenly they've found a bottomless purse to dip into? Puhleeze.
Either that or the savings they have made over the last three years or so means they have a bit of flexibility? Or they are planning to make savings elsewhere once the flood damage has been sorted? I'm sure just dropping that dumb idea for a railway line to save 15 minutes off a trip to Manchester would do. I don't really care just now because what is important is that practical help is provided. Surely that is the priority?

quote:
Snow may look pretty, but when all is said and done it is still frozen water and someday it will melt, so you might get your flood a month later than the precipitation but you will get it eventually.
I don't remember that being the experience after the last three winters. What I do remember was endless refreezing of snow until it had been worn away. That was the experience in my neck of the woods anyway. Our greatest fall was a foot deep in 2009/2010.
Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
I do wish we'd had another snowy winter. They may have been risky on the bones and probably not so good for the national economy but at least with the misery of rutted ice came the fun of lobbing snowballs and making snowmen, and a deep fresh snowfall has a truly transforming affect even on this former industrial northern town.

We're expecting 12+ inches Thursday (on top of the 12" we had last Wednesday, and the 4" we had Sunday), with high winds. You're welcome to stop by and collect as much as you wish.

It's going to 7 below zero Fahrenheit again tonight. I am swilling down so much tea I might as well sleep in the lavatory tonight. Tea's the only thing that keeps my hands warm any more.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Sleepwalker:
quote:
Either that or the savings they have made over the last three years or so means they have a bit of flexibility? Or they are planning to make savings elsewhere once the flood damage has been sorted? I'm sure just dropping that dumb idea for a railway line to save 15 minutes off a trip to Manchester would do. I don't really care just now because what is important is that practical help is provided. Surely that is the priority?
Well, they claimed they were making savings to reduce the national deficit. Mind you they also got us involved in Libya and have just announced they're going to spend £2.5 billion on some F-35s. Personally I'd cut that before HS-2, but I suppose it depends how much the "special relationship" is valued - backing out of the F-35 project would certainly piss off the Americans.

Totally agree that providing practical help to flood victims should be the priority. It is refreshing to have something that the Prime Minister and I agree about; the last occasion was the gay marriage bill.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

(missed the edit window) We had floods after snow, but then we usually do get floods in winter here. You could be right about the effect of the snow melting gradually - we had a foot of snow in 2009-10 too and I don't remember the floods being as bad as expected when it eventually melted.

We've got off fairly lightly this winter - so far.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

... actually, now I come to think of it the Big Snow was in 2010-11... (and I missed the edit window again)
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... actually, now I come to think of it the Big Snow was in 2010-11... (and I missed the edit window again)

I think it was both. I remember 2010 as being snowy at both ends. But the period from late November through Christmas was when I would go to the window each morning and see the car buried that bit deeper, until eventually even the aerial disappeared...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't at all hellish, but I actually thought I was seeing an intelligent sapient being in Cameron viewing the floods and talking with victims yesterday, which is not my usual impression of the man.
He needs to get out more.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
It isn't at all hellish, but I actually thought I was seeing an intelligent sapient being in Cameron viewing the floods and talking with victims yesterday, which is not my usual impression of the man.
He needs to get out more.

Don't forget though, there's an election looming. Man of the people, and so on, never hurts. But I think they are all out in their wellies at the moment. Vote for me, I got really really wet in Somerset/Thames Valley.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016