homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let's Bitch About the Weather! (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let's Bitch About the Weather!
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Storm force 11 or 12 in the Irish Sea today. Batten down the hatches.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Don't forget though, there's an election looming. Man of the people, and so on, never hurts. But I think they are all out in their wellies at the moment. Vote for me, I got really really wet in Somerset/Thames Valley.

You know it's serious when the politicians turn up. There's a page in today's Metro with four pictures of Cameron, Miliband, Boris and Nigel Farage all out in their wellies in Floodland, so you can compare their different approaches. Enjoy.
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Don't forget though, there's an election looming. Man of the people, and so on, never hurts. But I think they are all out in their wellies at the moment. Vote for me, I got really really wet in Somerset/Thames Valley.

You know it's serious when the politicians turn up. There's a page in today's Metro with four pictures of Cameron, Miliband, Boris and Nigel Farage all out in their wellies in Floodland, so you can compare their different approaches. Enjoy.
Can't help thinking that if my house/village/town got flooded and I was trying to deal with it, the last thing I'd want is some politician plus assorted camera crews, reporters, photographers, hangers-on etc. walking around sticking their noses in - they'd just get in the way (some might say as per usual - I couldn't possibly comment about that... [Two face] )

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading the experiences of people from the Somerset Levels on FLAG (Flooding on the Levels Action Group), it's practical and financial aid they need from these politicians rather than talk (and photo opportunities).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to local news, South Carolina, north Georgia, and north Alabama are closed. I was supposed to go to a conference in Atlanta this weekend, but it was postponed to the end of April. So I'm home, waiting for the cold rain to turn to ice and then snow. None of that particularly bothers me, except that ice usually means loss of power.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
(missed the edit window) We had floods after snow, but then we usually do get floods in winter here. You could be right about the effect of the snow melting gradually - we had a foot of snow in 2009-10 too and I don't remember the floods being as bad as expected when it eventually melted.

We've got off fairly lightly this winter - so far.

Same here, although we've just been living through a Red Warning windy evening which hasn't been at all pleasant. North Wales got it worst by the sounds of it with 108mph gusts recorded on a few occasions within a four hour spell. I think our highest gusts were around the 70mph mark but I thought the roof was coming off. The room shuddered, which was a bit concerning. Still, we have retained power unlike some houses in my town and indeed around 8000 other people in the region. Rain wasn't the issue and so there have been no floods inland and thankfully for the coastal towns the tide was out. Had it been a high tide then there would have been coastal flooding with the wind speeds recorded. Absolute chaos on the motorway and rail networks though.

I think the next storm is due in on Friday/Saturday.

Deep joy.

[ 12. February 2014, 20:43: Message edited by: Sleepwalker ]

Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual gales/rain here today, but a quiet, mild, and moonlit night at the moment.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for all those affected by the floods in other parts of the UK.

A new (and stout) wooden gate recently installed across a path along the south side of the church has now been blown down three times (back to the drawing-board, I think!). The (almost) incessant south-westerly wind and driving rain has, at last, penetrated the church building, and the interior wall of the south aisle will need re-whitewashing when (if?) the weather ever improves for more than a day or so. So what? you may ask - but it's taken 105 years for this to happen.....

Oh, and a massive hole (50' deep or 15' deep, depending on which newspaper you read) has appeared in the middle of our local motorway. According to one report, it might be a dene-hole, ostensibly caused in times past by those bloody Danes digging in our English chalk - but what can you expect from People Not Like Us? Maybe the bad weather is down to those awful Bulgarians or even the egregious Romanians? Stealing our fine old English winter weather from under our noses.....

.......I'll get me coat.

However -

CallmeDave is here to save!
Never fear! Dave is here!

Has your house been washed away?
Fret ye not! Our Dave will pay!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the reports that it is a sinkhole rather than a denehole are likely to be more correct. Looking at the pictures, it seems that that stretch of the road is in a slight cutting, which would mean that any denehole would have shown up during the building process and been dealt with (and they weren't dug by Danes - most are in areas where the Danes weren't active, and some were being dug as recently as the 19th century). Looking down the hole, it looks like sand above the chalk, though if the map is right, the BGS geology map shows Clay-with-Flints. Sinkholes can form under either, where water gets through to dissolve the chalk, and the road formation could have directed water from the surface into one spot - Iain Stewart, last week on the TV showed how a clay capping to a void can give way suddenly. (I've been taking an interest in this subject because of a curious depression near my back door - I think it's OK, but the water does drain away after filling it rather quicker than I would expect through clay.)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks, from yesterday's local news, that the hole has been positively identified as a denehole. This is good, because it has a defined structure with a known depth and lobes opening out from the bottom. On the other hand - how the dickens did the road builders miss it? The road is in a slight cutting there, so the machinery should have cut across the shaft (the top usually widens out, presumably because after it is left, the overburden drops in). All I can think is that they decided to leave it because it was in the centre reservation.

Meanwhile, another hole has opened up in a garden nearer London, and the householder is frantic because the insurance doesn't cover it as it doesn't threaten the house. Two holes have appeared in school grounds in the Medway towns, and another in a rugby ground. That one is odd - the TV showed a groundsman pouring sand into a hole about a metre across from a wheelbarrow. He had already filled it to within a turf's depth of the top, and it was bordered by a fringe of lifted turfs. Can't have been very big.

[ 15. February 2014, 07:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* More snow here. Someone please make itgo away.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's not very Hellish but I'm sitting here in shorts with two open windows in our office, feeling the cool breeze waft in, the cool, coolness of 45 degrees Fahrenheit in Atlanta, GA. Today it got up to 62. Last week we were under a "catastrophic" weather "event" with snow/ice/more snow. Now I just have to brace myself for the upcoming tornado season... sigh...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And in Hemel Hempstead. Watford (actually a place called Dugdales, which might mean something) and Ripon, other holes have opened. In Hemel it is huge, under homes recently built on a brownfield site. (I suspect inadequate preparation of the site to remove voids.) Some people have been allowed in for a half hour to grab what they can, others not at all. Some homes are expected to be demolished. Heartbreaking.
Ripon is over deposits of gypsum which regularly dissolves and forms sinkholes. One is believed to be the source of Lewis Carroll's idea of the shaft Alice falls down, since he lived there for a while.
It makes me start thinking about what I might grab if I had only half an hour. There's a lot of family stuff which I feel responsible for.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016