homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Suffer all the little children unto me (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Suffer all the little children unto me
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
I can just picture little pydsey writing this!

I found a version of that with subtitles.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the latest updates:

EE, you make Young Earth Creationists seem knowledgeable, well read, and flexible. Indeed you go further into the land of denial of reality than any creationist I have ever dealt with, and are creeping up on anti-vaxers. No creationist I have ever heard would claim that "that there is no evidence whatsoever to doubt the literal interpretation of the events described in..." And they certainly wouldn't spin like Karl Rove in a washing machine in an attempt to defend their stupid and counter-factual assertions by shifting the goalposts first from no evidence to no evidence within the source document, and then to the idea that the evidence was not strong enough.

So you are demonstrably disingenuous and dishonest. Plumbing depths few creationists do. You claim you have a 2:1 in Theology. I know theology is known as an easy subject - but given the way you torture logic and deny facts, the only conclusions I can draw are that either everyone passed or you got your degree from a diploma mill. Or you have somehow lobotomised yourself since getting your degree - it is very obvious to everyone else in the Dead Horses thread that not only are you lacking in compassion and moral sensibilities but your logic is about third grade level. And your honesty and integrity when it comes to debate is utterly non-existent.

And all this for what? Your fetishisation of a God who punishes people, guilty and innocent alike. The only reasoning I can understand you are so wedded to the idea despite scripture, tradition, ethics, and common decency, is that you get off on the idea of God inflicting suffering.

That this annoys me is a reflection on me rather than you. For someone to be as badly broken as you are that you argue (or fail to) the way you do, there is only one appropriate response.

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

You need it. And I shall endeavour to treat you less harshly in the future. After all it's perfectly obvious that you can't help yourself or that broken part of you that makes you operate the way you do.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve just had some porridge and golden syrup for breakfast. It’s my second favourite breakfast after a full English.

Sometimes I like brown sauce with a full English, but only after all the fried egg yolks have gone.

I have a specific way of eating a full English. First I cut off the streaky “tails” from the bacon and dip in the runny yolk. That’s the best bit. Then I will eat some bacon with yolky-dip and a bit of bread. Then I just go in and eat, but I will always leave a bit of bacon and some of the now-hard yolk for the very last forkful.

A mug of tea after is always nice as well.

Anyway, we have a “blown” window. There is condensation between the double glazed panes on one of the windows in my daughter’s room. The windows are still under warranty so they are coming back this morning to replace it.

I might cut my toenails tonight.

I just thought I would add to the dullness of this thread. The Three Degrees are ex-spurts in tediousness of course, and normally we would seek to avoid tediousness. We musts strive to attain tediousnessless. The best state to be in is tediousnesslessness. Or Texas.

I think I have bored myse…. Zzzzz zzzzz zzzz

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chill
Shipmate
# 13643

- Posted      Profile for Chill   Email Chill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity who else thinks pydseybare’s reaction was more indicative of latent homophobia than deano's comments?
Posts: 343 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chill:
Just out of curiosity who else thinks pydseybare’s reaction was more indicative of latent homophobia than deano's comments?

Do we have to go there? I mean, that's one possible explanation, but there are certainly other possible explanations.

I'd just as soon not generate another 25 outraged posts that are basically a variation of "not that there's anything wrong with that" from Seinfeld.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The so-called 'German' brat having a melt-down is, in fact, Australian. The YouTube film is staged.

Don't believe everything you find on the web. With YouTube all you have to do is click on the person who uploaded it and you can see the rest of their stuff.

In the case of the 'German' kid the chap who uploaded is Australian - as is the 'German' kid in this latest film.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So as not to besmirch the DH thread, I feel I ought to have a good laugh at pydsey here, who presented evidence to contradict my view, which actually spectacularly backfired on him.

See here

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

What a major league wally!

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So as not to besmirch the DH thread, I feel I ought to have a good laugh at pydsey here, who presented evidence to contradict my view, which actually spectacularly backfired on him.

You told me to use google and find papers that called your - shitty, unsupported, biased bollocks excuse for science - evidence fake.

I did. In 2 seconds.

You really are a tool. And one that obviously knows nothing about evidence. Add that to your CV.

[ 28. February 2014, 14:53: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

See here

I'm sure you do.

You're actually getting your arse handed to you, not that you could find it with either hand, a head-torch, and special arse-locating software: so sure, everyone, come and take a look in DH and see EE dig himself deeper into a hole of his own making. It's like watching a Fail video on loop.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor
You're actually getting your arse handed to you, not that you could find it with either hand, a head-torch, and special arse-locating software: so sure, everyone, come and take a look in DH and see EE dig himself deeper into a hole of his own making. It's like watching a Fail video on loop.

Yes, I invite everyone to the party in zombified Royal Ascot to evaluate the evidence for themselves.

And don't forget to bring a bottle...

(If only to get pydsey sloshed. He needs to drown his sorrows somehow!!)

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(If only to get pydsey sloshed. He needs to drown his sorrows somehow!!)

I don't drink alcohol.

But, come to think of it, if you are actually posting whilst pissed out of your skull, that might actually explain some of the shit you come out with.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

See here

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

What a major league wally!

I'm actually astounded at your lack of awareness.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Anglican_brat - how dare you use my methods to refute the shit that is cascading from my mouth.

Don't you know that quoting from the bible is evidence that can only be used by people on my side of the argument?

EE, when did you last visit your psychiatrist?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this thread isn't all bad. It's given me the phrase "zombified Royal Ascot".

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Pydsey -

So much for all your guff about 'love'.

Funny, but I thought you believed in a God of love and compassion. But your behaviour of late belies your spiritual claim to be led by the Holy Spirit of this God of love.

The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that you are a fake and a fraud.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Pydsey -

So much for all your guff about 'love'.

Funny, but I thought you believed in a God of love and compassion. But your behaviour of late belies your spiritual claim to be led by the Holy Spirit of this God of love.

Ah, the old 'awww he's picking on me, Mummy' argument.

Truth is, EE, you can deal it but you can't take it.

quote:
The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that you are a fake and a fraud.
Yeah. Well, there it is, you got me. When faced with someone who is unkind, unloving, unmoved by human suffering, offers opinion as fact, denegrates others who do not immediately convert to his idea, condemns others to hell, claims he speaks the word of God - and all the other shit that you do, I'm not very kind.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

This is the last post I am writing in response to you pydsey. I have sparred with many people on the Ship and on other sites, but I have not encountered anyone quite as childish and obnoxious as you.

I am not demeaning myself by engaging with you any longer.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
This is the last post I am writing in response to you pydsey. I have sparred with many people on the Ship and on other sites, but I have not encountered anyone quite as childish and obnoxious as you.

I am not demeaning myself by engaging with you any longer.

That's right, you are quite capable of demeaning yourself on your own.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

And I forgot to add to my last post...

I will also not bother to read any of pydsey's posts.

So he can say what he likes. It will not reach me.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
quote:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
EE throwing a hissy fit about someone else being childish and obnoxious. We hate most in others what we hate most in ourselves.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Children, children. You don't have to fight! It's not a competition. There's plenty of room for both of you to be immature know-it-alls with thoroughly unpleasant conceptions of God.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also astounded at EE's complete lack of self-awareness. Gobsmacked.

If they gave degrees in lack of self-awareness he'd Emeritus Professor of Self-Delusion at the University of Up His Own Arse.

'Who can discern his errors ...'

And yes, I know that applies to me too. And to all of us.

Meanwhile, I was just getting interested in deano's account of what he eats for breakfast.

I'd love to know more ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Take one.

From the board guidelines:
quote:
only use colourful language if it's genuinely humorous. Gratuitous posting of offensive language will reveal your intellect for what it is, and you will be treated accordingly.
[Disappointed]

Genuinely humorous? Colourful language?

Utterly and entirely NSFW, NSFA (It's that song from South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut)

Beg pardon M'Lud, but I think the song you wanted was this. (When it was included in the film, I was one of many who stood up in the cinema and cheered.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

I'm sorry, are we soon going to get to the point where EE stops being a know-all nob-end who keeps posting shit and instead is revealed as an unemployed builder who left school at 14?

I thought I'd seen some things, but claiming that what you've seen in a museum is evidence because it is apparently/tangentially similar to something you've seen in a piss-poor online archaeological journal takes some beating.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

*yawn*

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Either you are someone who knows me and are deliberately typing this crap for a laugh, or you've got a serious problem.

Given that the chances of you being able to work out who I am are vanishingly small, I'm thinking either you are amazingly clever or fucking stupid.

Occum's razor suggests the latter.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love it if EE turned out to be a double-bluff merchant ... worthy of Philby, Burgess and Maclean.

Perhaps he was recruited by a fiendish mass wind-up gang while he was at University. I've had him down as a London cabbie all this time ...

It'd be true genius if this were the case.

Sadly, I think a rather more prosaic explanation presents itself from the body of evidence we have viz. EE's posts.

I rest my case M'Lud.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Yeah, I do have a serious problem. I have a serious problem with people, who refuse to look at the evidence.

The evidence I presented from the British Museum is as valid as any empirical evidence. Of course, it is circumstantial evidence (as is most evidence, by the way), but it confirms Dr Wood's findings.

But people like you, who just cannot and will not submit to the authority of the evidence, pull out all the stops to insult and rubbish and demean the one presenting the evidence.

The evidence so far tells us this: the c-14 dating appears to confirm Kenyon's date of the destruction of Jericho, and the pottery excavated by Garstang and analysed by Wood appears to confirm Wood's date. Conclusion: the evidence, as it currently stands, is inconclusive. Therefore we cannot say that, on the basis of archaeological evidence, the biblical account is definitely true or false.

If you can't stomach the reality of the evidence and continue to have childish tantrums, because reality isn't as you would like it, then frankly you need to grow up.

[ 06. March 2014, 19:52: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The evidence I presented from the British Museum is as valid as any empirical evidence.

That you saw some pottery that you, who are not anything like an expert in ancient middle-eastern pottery, looked like what you read about? That's as valid as any empirical evidence? Can you be serious? Would you be willing to write a paper for a peer-reviewed journal presenting this evidence?

And if we refuse to accept your word for it (we have not seen any of this pottery, not read any expert accounts directly comparing the two), then we refuse to look at evidence?

Show us evidence, and we'll look at it. You have yet to show us ANY evidence. We have only your word that something looked to you like something you read about. THAT IS NOT EVIDENCE by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm more than willing to look at evidence. But to do that, I must be presented with,

well,

evidence.

[ 06. March 2014, 19:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I also have a serious problem. I have a serious problem with people who refuse to look at the evidence.

All the evidence, not carefully selected bits which you consider to back up your case.

To be honest, I can't see how it matters one way or another if the pottery supports your favoured date. If it does, then that's great. It's not as if there's some almighty conspiracy theory out there to try and make sure that it doesn't.

If it could be proven that the fall of Jericho occurred at a date supported by the views of conservative Biblical scholars then I'd say, 'Great, bring it on.' It neither undermines nor confirms my faith.

If they dug up the bones of one Jesus of Nazareth and it could be empircally shown that this was the case, then that would be a different issue ...

It's not me who is having a childish strop, my friend.

If I 'insult or demean' then I'm sorry. This is the Magazine of Christian Unrest and this is the Hell thread. That's what happens here.

It's not a board for clapping one another on the back but for challenging and crunching our way through different viewpoints. I find that rather stimulating - even though I fully accept that I can bore some people's butts off at times.

You still haven't examined any of the literary aspects and the nature of ancient historiographies.

I don't have an issue with conservative biblical scholarship, I don't have an issue with guys like FF Bruce and so on. I don't have an issue with people holding conservative evangelical opinions.

What I do have an issue with is people who make far-fetched and obdurate claims then pull out a weeny piece of evidence to back up their position.

None of us are experts in OT-era pottery.

It'd be like going into a museum and seeing a display for 20 minutes and then thinking one was capable of writing a PhD thesis on the subject.

The issue isn't so much the apparent evidence but the way you present it. 'I saw a display in the British Museum that apparently corroborated the views of a conservative biblical scholar ... ta-DAH!'

That's even worse than how some so-called Creation Scientists operate.

Did you go behind the scenes and examine the stores? Did you ask the curators whether there was any other pottery from this period stored in the vaults - or displayed in similar museums elsewhere in the world?

You're going to have to do a lot better than that, my friend. I'm surprised you're surprised at the sniggering emoticons - well, actually, the belly laugh one ...

But then, a high level of self-awareness doesn't seem part of your make-up either.

EE's view of evidence appears to be:

'Anything that correlates with EE's presuppositions.'

It would be wonderful if the world were that simple.

But it ain't.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Yeah, I do have a serious problem. I have a serious problem with people, who refuse to look at the evidence.

You don't know what evidence is. Not a fucking clue.

quote:
The evidence I presented from the British Museum is as valid as any empirical evidence. Of course, it is circumstantial evidence (as is most evidence, by the way), but it confirms Dr Wood's findings.
I am about ready to string myself up.

1. You've read about some pottery in an online journal you haven't actually seen it

2. Until last week, you knew exactly nothing about the archaeology of pottery.

3. The fact that the pottery you've seen in the British Museum vaguely resembles something you've read about is clearly not evidence - because you've not seen the fucking pottery, and even if you had, you wouldn't have the first flaming clue what you were looking at

quote:
But people like you, who just cannot and will not submit to the authority of the evidence, pull out all the stops to insult and rubbish and demean the one presenting the evidence.
You really are a prick, you know that. A low-down lying prick.

quote:
The evidence so far tells us this: the c-14 dating appears to confirm Kenyon's date of the destruction of Jericho, and the pottery excavated by Garstang and analysed by Wood appears to confirm Wood's date. Conclusion: the evidence, as it currently stands, is inconclusive. Therefore we cannot say that, on the basis of archaeological evidence, the biblical account is definitely true or false.
Gibber gibber gibber. You haven't got a clue.

quote:
If you can't stomach the reality of the evidence and continue to have childish tantrums, because reality isn't as you would like it, then frankly you need to grow up.
[Ultra confused]

WTF?!?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I refer you to the following I posted to EE, Pydseybare.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

But then, a high level of self-awareness doesn't seem part of your make-up either.

I don't know what universe EE inhabits but it bears little relation to anyone else's that I know. I've come across folk with similar views, of course, and even people who argue their point in a similar way.

But EE really does take the biscuit. He is unique. We must surely allow him that.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Shit. Just when I thought I'd seen it all, ancient Levantine pottery and the curation of exhibits on it becomes a topic of an EE/PB/G three-way pissfight.

And no, you potheads couldn't at least pick a fight involving late Goryo celedons, or Momoyama era Mino and Seto wares, or even 20th century San Ildefonso blackware. Nothing that involves collections that I have memorized.

Seriously, y'all. If you're going to have a pointless argument over pottery, at least give us pics so the ceramics and museum studies geeks, if nobody else, can get something out of it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Seriously, y'all. If you're going to have a pointless argument over pottery, at least give us pics so the ceramics and museum studies geeks, if nobody else, can get something out of it.

But that's just it. There are no pics. And yet this lack of pics is "evidence."

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Holy Shit. Just when I thought I'd seen it all, ancient Levantine pottery and the curation of exhibits on it becomes a topic of an EE/PB/G three-way pissfight.

And no, you potheads couldn't at least pick a fight involving late Goryo celedons, or Momoyama era Mino and Seto wares, or even 20th century San Ildefonso blackware. Nothing that involves collections that I have memorized.

That is it exactly. None of us knows the first thing about pottery. Not a fucking clue, to the extent that pretending to discuss it is actually a mockery of the phrase.

The tragic thing is that most of us know that we don't know about it, so the only person actually arguing that this proves anything is EE. The rest of us have agreed that even if it was the overwhelming evidence he claims it to be, it wouldn't amount to a plate of beans on the substantive issue - ie whether the claims of 'God said' genocide in the Old Testament (a) really happened and (b) were actually ordered by God.

quote:
Quite so.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bless your heart!
[Axe murder] [Axe murder]

quote:
The evidence so far tells us this: the c-14 dating appears to confirm Kenyon's date of the destruction of Jericho, and the pottery excavated by Garstang and analysed by Wood appears to confirm Wood's date. Conclusion: the evidence, as it currently stands, is inconclusive.
Wood in "Largely subjective evidence analysed by Wood supports Wood's preconceived theories" shocker!

quote:
Therefore we cannot say that, on the basis of archaeological evidence, the biblical account is definitely true or false.
No. But we can't say that Last Thursdayism is definitively false either. We can however say that both are incredibly unlikely.

quote:
Bless!
[Axe murder]

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I saw some pottery once. It was round. The resemblance to other round pottery was uncanny.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I saw some pottery once. It was round. The resemblance to other round pottery was uncanny.

Just for saying that, you deserve to be locked in a room and made to listen to the complete Philip Glass discography.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude, even in Hell there are limts. [Disappointed]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Whatever do you mean? I'd gladly lock myself in a room with the complete discography of Philip Glass!

ETA: eh, okay, maybe not complete. The last four or five years haven't been his best.

[ 08. March 2014, 00:04: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Whatever do you mean? I'd gladly lock myself in a room with the complete discography of Philip Glass!

ETA: eh, okay, maybe not complete. The last four or five years haven't been his best.

The first million years were the worst. So were the second. I didn't enjoy the third at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline. --Marvin, the Paranoid Android.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston

I've just posted something on the thread in DH.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'll give you 10 out of 10 for persistence, EE.

I'll grant you that much.

--------------------

aunt jane
Shipmate
# 10139

- Posted      Profile for aunt jane         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The so-called 'German' brat having a melt-down is, in fact, Australian. The YouTube film is staged.

Don't believe everything you find on the web. With YouTube all you have to do is click on the person who uploaded it and you can see the rest of their stuff.

In the case of the 'German' kid the chap who uploaded is Australian - as is the 'German' kid in this latest film.

I don't think anyone else is quite so bothered about the boy's nationality as you are.
Posts: 97 | From: South East of England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not the nationality - its the con.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016