homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » In Praise of IngoB! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: In Praise of IngoB!
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friends, Romanists, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to not to bury IngoB, but to praise him.

I praise IngoB for his wonderful religious machismo, in the face of which I feel like a six-year-old girl! IngoB drips with spiritual testosterone! His manly Catholicism is a true inspiration. Mad Mel Gibson could take lessons from IngoB!

I praise him for his celebration of how a real, old fashioned Lenten fast should make you so ill from malnutrition that your sex-drive will nearly die! Let's hear it for his recipe for getting right to heart of sin!

I praise him for his affirmation that real Catholicism teaches that this mortal life is a high-stakes test, which most people flunk -- going directly to Hell; not passing GO; not collecting $200!

I praise him for his noting how "uncouth" an opponent I am, for having pointed out the fact that the God he describes looks remarkably like a violent child abuser! He's right -- I resorted to "cheep shots and personal insults," which IngoB never, ever, ever does! He always sticks to the highest of high grounds in dealing with others on the Ship, this paragon of respectful debate! I bow my head in shame before his virtue!

In my childhood, we used to say, "It takes one to know one." I can often be an arrogant, full of myself, self-righteous bully. Thus, I can spot such a creature very easily. And I am here to testify that IngoB is anything but!

Praise him! In his great humility, of course, he will refuse such accolades. But let's not bow to his modesty. Let's praise him!

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cumulative rant or specific incident?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, somebody's butthurt.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Just an attack of the DT's.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno about all this praise. He really seems like an asshole sometimes.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Oh we all do that sometimes. Especially if we post here.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Litotes.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
quote:

Litotes.
You don't say?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gesundheit.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Translation!
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo B translates as a convert who has learnt the letter of his new faith, but not the substance of it.

Litotes is a standard word of English grammar and requires no translation.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking that's one of the best OP's I've seen in Hell. [Big Grin]

Such liturgical flourish and panache! Hallelujah!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Dubious Thomas - good one!

IngoB argues very well - but what he argues makes God small, cruel and mean.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Litotes is a standard word of English grammar and requires no translation.

I never said it did. I was getting at Gesundheit.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caught GeeD feeling guilty, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So where's the double negative mousethief?

And, idiomatically, bless you too Lamb Chopped.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let him live. The ship is filled to the gunwales with a crew of crackpots, but they are mostly of a fairly homogeneous sort of crankiness, to such an extent that they frame their shared crankiness as "normal" and relish turning against any other sort of crankiness in the most self-righteous style. IngoB is just another crackpot, but a crackpot of a somewhat different sort. If you don't like his posts or don't agree with his brand of Catholicism, at least give him high marks for entertainment value.

[ 12. April 2014, 09:41: Message edited by: Desert Daughter ]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
If you don't like his posts or don't agree with his brand of Catholicism, at least give him high marks for entertainment value.

I don't find him entertaining at all.

I do give him high marks for being able to construct an excellent argument. I would also thank him for making me think through what I believe as I work through his posts.

It's just a shame that he believes in a callous and unloving God.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, at least it makes a change from all that fuzzie-luvvie stuff that goes on elsewhere on the ship.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Just an attack of the DT's.
Oy, leave me out o it !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is basically just a spill-over from me calling DT on his ad hominem here.

quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
I praise IngoB for his wonderful religious machismo, in the face of which I feel like a six-year-old girl! IngoB drips with spiritual testosterone! His manly Catholicism is a true inspiration. Mad Mel Gibson could take lessons from IngoB!

Six year old girls are typically sweet and innocent, and manly men rejoice in their presence and feel protective about them. Clearly, that's not a particularly appropriate analogy. May I hence suggest that my manly Catholicism is rather reducing you to a used-up old slut, whose frustration about her ruined and wasted life have turned her all nasty and poisonous?

quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
Praise him! In his great humility, of course, he will refuse such accolades. But let's not bow to his modesty. Let's praise him!

quote:
Summa Theologiae IIa IIae q161 a3
Now humility, as stated above (1, ad 5; 2, ad 3), properly regards the reverence whereby man is subject to God. Wherefore every man, in respect of that which is his own, ought to subject himself to every neighbor, in respect of that which the latter has of God's: but humility does not require a man to subject what he has of God's to that which may seem to be God's in another. For those who have a share of God's gifts know that they have them, according to 1 Corinthians 2:12: "That we may know the things that are given us from God." Wherefore without prejudice to humility they may set the gifts they have received from God above those that others appear to have received from Him; thus the Apostle says (Ephesians 3:5): "(The mystery of Christ) was not known to the sons of men as it is now revealed to His holy apostles." On like manner. humility does not require a man to subject that which he has of his own to that which his neighbor has of man's: otherwise each one would have to esteem himself a greater sinner than anyone else: whereas the Apostle says without prejudice to humility (Galatians 2:15): "We by nature are Jews, and not of the Gentiles, sinners." Nevertheless a man may esteem his neighbor to have some good which he lacks himself, or himself to have some evil which another has not: by reason of which, he may subject himself to him with humility.

Sorry, I know that this is a bit much for your attention span. The executive summary: by all means, do carry on. If you are looking to mix things up a bit, try using gotai-tochi to express yourself.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stand upright and bow slightly in gassho from the waist.
Is this a polite way of saying "I fart in your general direction"?

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to praise Dubious Thomas for one of the best passive agressive OP rants in a long time.

I was hoping against hope that IngoB would follow suit and praise DT. Alas I was disappointed. Ingo, your great intellect has let you down. I praise you for your great knowledge and ability to quote dogma. But one thing is missing - look around you, there are clues around. Lots of people have clues, yours seems to have gone on holiday, isn't it time to get a new one.

Otherwise have a good day.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[Killing me] Dubious Thomas - good one!

IngoB argues very well - but what he argues makes God small, cruel and mean.

No, God is small, cruel and mean.
IngoB understands this and is spreading the message like a good evangelical.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, God is small, cruel and mean.

You think so?

No wonder you crossed the Ganges. Good on you.

quote:

IngoB understands this and is spreading the message like a good evangelical.

You know. It wasn't until I became a shippie that I realised there was very little difference between conservative evangelicals and conservative RC's. The latter just dress up prettier.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's probably the most literate hellcall I've been required to read since I started hosting.

Well done that man.

And in return all we get is literal quoting and calling your opponent a slut. Ingo, I'm disappointed. We know you can do better than that. See me after class.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I don't think I've seen Bingo do passive-aggressive. Could be most amusing.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First in praise of Dubious Thomas:

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
probably the most literate hellcall I've been required to read since I started hosting.

Couldn't be put better!

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
You know. It wasn't until I became a shippie that I realised there was very little difference between conservative evangelicals and conservative RC's. The latter just dress up prettier.

I've been thinking the same all the way through the Purgatory thread on universalism.

Now in praise of IngoB, genuinely. I someone wants to join a religion in which they weren't brought up, it makes sense to learn as much as possible of what it believes and teaches. IngoB's knowledge of the history, doctrine and canon law of the Catholic Church is unsurpassed on the Ship, and we can be sure that he tells it as it is. My problem with it is that this is just the arguement Jesus had with the Pharisees. He didn't criticise their knowledge, in fact He said, "The scribes and Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, so practice and observe whatever they tell you..(Matt 23:2-3).

His chief moan with them is that rules and regulations mean nothing if they aren't undergirded by love, that self-giving love for God and neighbour. Jesus' near contemporary Rabbi Hillel said something similar. When asked to explain the essence of Torah to a potential convert, while standing on one leg, he said, "Whatever is hurtful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole Torah, the rest in commentry." I will never accept that religion is about rules, it's about love. In the end, we will be judged on our love, not on our knowledge of canon law.

IngoB preaches a stern, loveless God, ready to fry the majority of humanity, to whom the rules of the Church are of paramount importance, and who would be willing to write us of for eternity when we fail to keep those rules. Jesus knew well the Jewish law of the sabbath, but pointed out that the sabbath is for our benefit, not for God's, and to break it in order to help someone in need is right. I see IngoB's Catholicism as pharasaical rigid adherance to the dead letter of the law, and completely devoid of the love God requires of us. But I don't believe he'll burn eternally, we will all learn eventually.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB just accurately describes the faith to which you converted. [Confused]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
IngoB just accurately describes the faith to which you converted.

True, but very few Catholics I know, especially cradle Catholics who are entirely comfortable within their Catholic skin feel as he does. He's much more akin to Mel Gibson and the SSPX!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
So where's the double negative mousethief?

That is one form of litotes. Your thinking is too narrow. There are others.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Sorry, I know that this is a bit much for your attention span.

Oh please. The Summa is a bit much for anybody's attention span. Aquinas was right when he said it was all straw. Pity the Church didn't listen.

quote:

Germans don't do passive-aggressive. Doing it right requires a bit of empathy.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

oi!

We are slating IngoB here, not Germans.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

quote:

that's f*cking racist, condescending (oh yes, the discourse of the Anglo-Saxon Master Race as the only one capable of sophisticated humour is never far beneath the surface, is it?), and, besides, quite untrue. Shame on you. I had always taken you for one of the more reasonable deckhands. But I suppose Hell brings out the very worst in anyone... or is it just as with alcohol: it is under "the influence" that people show their true colours?

In any case, what you said there is a load of anglo-supremacist b#lls. [Mad]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are only two things mousethief can't stand in this world. Strongly-stated conservative theology... and the Germans. / Austin Powers quote

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
IngoB just accurately describes the faith to which you converted.

True, but very few Catholics I know, especially cradle Catholics who are entirely comfortable within their Catholic skin feel as he does. He's much more akin to Mel Gibson and the SSPX!
And what does the RCC care about the opinions of cradle Catholics in the West? I've long said Christians need a major realignment. I know many Roman Catholics wish the RCC was more like the Church of England or The Episcopal Church. Rather than just leave, they pretend the RCC was once something it never was and got hijacked by traditionalists like IngoB. Seems like you've joined to help them perpetuate the myth. IngoB joined with the understanding that the RCC is what she says she is and believes what she says she believes.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering whether this "Praise" of which you speak DT doesn't have the same psychological origins as A.H. worship ?
You know, like you just can't help but do it now and again.

Not that I'm making any comparisons of course [Biased]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
oi!
We are slating IngoB here, not Germans.

OOPs . Lucky no-one mentioned the war .

I nearly did . Think I might have got away with it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
that's f*cking racist,

Since when were Germans a race?

Oh, and the standard definition of racism includes oppression, and since when have the Germans been an oppressed minority?

But you are right, I overshot. Apologies to all empathetic Germans out there. I will lengthen the barrel of my shotgun and say: IngoB doesn't do passive aggression, etc.

[ 12. April 2014, 16:37: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not sure what virtue racism takes. What a pity such a great man should be so ill-bred, as Talleyrand would have it.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hallelujah!

Wash your mouth out - no more use of that word allowed until the middle of the Easter Vigil.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

This putting-down of cradle catholics, belittling their approach, implying that theirs is not the Real McCoy is unkind and arrogant, but really just a sign of insecurity.

It does make life difficult though: The parish I belonged to when I lived in Finland was made up of about 40% converts, and relations between "them" and "us" were not easy. It is never nice to be looked down upon. The fact that the parish was firmly in the hands of Opus Dei did not help. It did, however, confirm my early intuition that I must never let The Church stand between me and my faith.

And it made me wonder about the converts' mentality: Changing faith and adopting a new one does, if undertaken seriously, a tremendous change of one's innermost assumptions and outlook on life. Frequently, there is a need among such people to reassure themselves constantly about the sense which the step they took makes. For IngoB, this reassurance is sought in endless, painstakingly perfected postings on The Ship. I don't think he wants to proselytise. He probably just does it for reassurance.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

If IngoB were a cradle catholic I don't think it would change him much. He might discuss different things or the same things differently, but he would reach the same conclusions, albeit by another route.

From what the cradle catholics in my family say and do, that might well be a shorter route.

[edit: grammer]

[ 12. April 2014, 16:47: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

I suppose every denomination has their little Talibans... they are just not as vocal on the ship as IngoB likes to be.

But really, he does not deserve this round in hell. Admit it, he's got entertainment value. Without types like him, The Ship would be a lot more bland and boring.

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know very few Catholics, cradle or otherwise. I have the joy of a non-sleeping toddler, and as a result spend many wee hours reading Ingo's account of his stark Catholicism. It's been very informative - he's clearly very well read, intelligent, and of a singular vision (as Sir Humphrey Appleby might have remarked.)

I also feel some, I dunno, sympathy for him, perhaps. His account of his faith as "a hard slog"
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

FWIW, my faith is for the most part calculated and workman-like, with all the personal passion of brushing one's teeth regularly. I also have not "encountered Jesus", though I have had some mystic experiences (which I found more scary than comforting, frankly). I consider Christian life mostly a hard slog, and the only thing the Christian community tends to inspire me to is rage-quitting. Yet I have a kind of faith, and it is a pretty resilient one. By Protestant standards, I'm probably nowhere near to "being saved" with that kind of faith, but I couldn't care less about that. By Catholic standards, my soul is also in danger. But for "practical" reasons, that can be fixed with available sacramental tools by priestly mechanics. I like that aspect of the traditional ways. There's room for gushing kitsch sentimentality, as well as for me, because it is in the end about moving your will in a particular direction. I can do that, in my way. Other people have their ways. Good for them, good for me.

is, in a stark sort of way, comforting, compared with the warm fluffy evangelical Anglicanism of my own background. (There will be comfort in your grief - there isn't. God has A Plan for your life - he hasn't.)

I'm sure Ingo would be thoroughly dismissive of such sentimentality on my part, though.

And that's the thing - he can be so sneering and dismissive of those who disagree. I paint a mental lip curl on the avatar so often when I read what he writes.

[Oh, and the dead horse thing. Maximise your chances of salvation through Catholicism > A Catholic understanding of marriage is primarily for child-bearing > maximise my chances of salvation through almost continuous child-rearing with all the attendant consequences. No thanks.]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In case I wasn't clear above, I apologize unreservedly for my thoughtless swipe at Germans. It was wrong of me, and I am sorry.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh please. The Summa is a bit much for anybody's attention span. Aquinas was right when he said it was all straw. Pity the Church didn't listen.

Pity you distort what Aquinas actually said, more like. He had a mystical experience - possibly a glimpse of the Beatific Vision - whilst saying Mass: it was compared with that that he described his writings as "like straw". Compared with a glimpse of the Heavenly Banquet, the excellences of the collective work of all humankind will seem like so much straw. He is also said to have had another vision in which Christ said to him, "You have written well of me, Thomas." Why trust one tradition and not the other?

It's pretty transparent where your sniping at IngoB is coming from: same place as DT's - frustration at being (in your case, repeatedly) outargued by him. You can say this much even for straw: it is at least useful for constructing stuff. Splenetics? Not so much.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
It's pretty transparent where your sniping at IngoB is coming from: same place as DT's - frustration at being (in your case, repeatedly) outargued by him.

If that's how good you are at seeing through things, you need to send your x-ray goggles back to the manufacturer.

It would seem you just don't want to accept (as IngoB is incapable of accepting) the REAL reason people dislike his rhetoric. You think it must be because of his analytical acumen. Probably because you agree with him, although you know better than I what your motives are. But you are wrong. It has already been mentioned multiple times on this thread why he gets up people's noses. Perhaps you missed it? Perhaps you dismissed it and created in your mind other motives for these people, like you did for me? It looks for all the world like you have erected mental barriers against the truth here. And that's sad.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take a look at my perceptions and what's colouring them if you do, mousethief.

I see you getting steamed up and tantrummy when being trounced in an argument with IngoB too often not to suspect your motives when lashing out at him here. Maybe that's just my bad. Maybe there's something in that. Why don't we both have a think about that?

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
I'll take a look at my perceptions and what's colouring them if you do, mousethief.

I see you getting steamed up and tantrummy when being trounced in an argument with IngoB too often not to suspect your motives when lashing out at him here. Maybe that's just my bad. Maybe there's something in that. Why don't we both have a think about that?

Actually when I get "trounced" in an argument by IngoB, as you call it, I tend to walk away and not respond. Usually because it's a hopeless task, as he is arguing from deep within a set of premises we do not share.

ETA: And vice versa of course.

EATA: I will take your word on Aquinas' deathbed utterances. But will stand by my conviction that the Summa is a slog for the best of modern readers, and twitting people for not finding it easy is stupid, or at the very least short-sighted bordering on blind.

[ 12. April 2014, 17:47: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

quote:
[ he is arguing from deep within a set of premises we do not share.

Indeed. And that's the whole problem, isn't it? That, plus maybe the occasional arrogance/sneering mentioned by Jemina.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016