homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » In Praise of IngoB! (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: In Praise of IngoB!
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Of course, it occasionally happens [in the multi-purpose community hall that is Purgatory] that some origami person walks into a sparring session. Then they get hit, which going by the sign at the door, they should be able to deal with. Sometimes however instead of picking themselves up and either going elsewhere or hitting back, they whine loudly and endlessly how this would be a much better place if I did origami instead.

Extending your analogy, how about when someone carrying a nice paper giraffe and muttering 'One day I'll get the hang of that Eiffel Tower model!' wanders into the area where another person is shadow-boxing, the shadow-boxer asks 'Hi, are you up for a spot of sparring?' before belting the paper giraffe carrier round the face? That would, ISTM, be a rather more responsible way to use a 'multi-purpose community hall'.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the problem with analogies is they often push unnecessary concepts along with them.
Perhaps we can find a better for Purg than boxing. Perhaps we can have a debate as to how to refer to Purg. Or a discussion or a discourse or......

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Extending your analogy, how about when someone carrying a nice paper giraffe and muttering 'One day I'll get the hang of that Eiffel Tower model!' wanders into the area where another person is shadow-boxing, the shadow-boxer asks 'Hi, are you up for a spot of sparring?' before belting the paper giraffe carrier round the face? That would, ISTM, be a rather more responsible way to use a 'multi-purpose community hall'.

Sure. Unfortunately, in reality the differences are not as obvious as someone throwing punches in the air vs. someone carrying a paper giraffe. It's all just people saying stuff about something. So it's more like a "Taiji for health" group mixing with some Thai boxers, or some such. At first glance, it all looks pretty much the same.

I'm also not entirely sure what I am supposed to ask there. Perhaps something like this? "I would like to express my opinion about this matter precisely and bluntly, and if you have a contrary opinion then I plan to refute it with a series of stringent arguments. I might employ rhetoric to increase the impact of my contributions. I should warn you that I actually enjoy the cut and thrust of debate, so this could mean that you will see me being pleased about finding some fault with your posts. You may also find that your efforts of convincing me otherwise lead nowhere, which could lead to some frustration. Do you feel emotionally secure enough to deal with this sort of intense debating, or should I rather talk to someone else?"

That seems a bit longwinded though. Perhaps I can simply put an "A" for "argumentative" in front of any post that I write? So that everybody knows exactly what they are dealing with. I would colour that letter to make it easier to recognise, let's say in scarlet, but unfortunately this BB is too ancient to allow that. So I will make it bold instead. There, how about that?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Extending your analogy...

I'm also not entirely sure what I am supposed to ask there. Perhaps something like this? "I would like to express my opinion about this matter precisely and bluntly...
Heh [Smile] Just... try to be gentler with people. Gentleness is part of the fruit of the Spirit; so practice it! And if you think people are showing they'd be happy to have a robust discussion, then make moves that way.* But don't go straight in with the uppercut to the chin of 'That's patent nonsense' and suchlike.

*Kind of like flirting with someone. Hmm.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The analogy isn't quite right because it doesn't reflect the fact that the dangerously combative activity and the innocuous group activity are on the same subject.

How about this as an alternative: many road races are fiercely contested at club level, while also having a large field of fun runners. In my experience though, the club runners recognise that the fun runners are engaged in the same activity as them, possibly at considerably greater short term cost and they respect the fun-runners, knowing that without their participation, the event wouldn't be a world famous 10k or half-marathon or whatever that attracts elite entries.

If a runner over-estimates his speed and is given a starting position further forward in the field than is appropriate, yes it's good if he keeps out of the way of people who are aiming for a specific finishing time. But it's just as easy for the good runner to run round him as to actually fell him with a kick to the back of the leg. And all the good runners I know are very respectful of anyone who tries to run, appreciating that a personal best is a personal best, however fast or slow it is.

Of course the big difference in the analogies is that in the case of the road race, the runners all recognise that everyone is trying to run in the same direction.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps I can simply put an "A" for "argumentative" in front of any post that I write? So that everybody knows exactly what they are dealing with.

Brilliant Ingo. Because when people object to being hit, the perfect solution is to give them a quick reminder warning before each punch.

You just can't grasp, can you, that we're trying to say in Purgatory you're not operating in a space where people have a standing expectation that they will be hit. FFS, you even think it makes a difference saying it's a community hall with a sign saying 'be prepared to be hit', when that's the very essence of the boxing ring you claim to have discarded.

It's not a lighthouse. It's a community hall with a sign saying 'you must ensure the light at the top is shining and rotating at all times'.

It's not a brothel. It's a community hall with scantily clad women enticing you into the side rooms.

I don't care what you fucking call it. I care that you keep insisting that there's a shared expectation that usual behaviour is to hit and hit back.

The solution isn't for you to remind people they're about to be hit. The solution is for you to get a fucking clue about context, pause, consider context, and only hit if the context justifies it. Instead of using it as a default setting.

And if that requires you writing a long screed asking if someone would like to be hit, and then actually backing off if they say no, I for one would be all for it. If you're somehow incapable of figuring it out and need people to explicitly tell you, then let's go with that.

The sign DOESN'T say 'be prepared to be hit', it says 'be prepared to be challenged'. The fact that you can't understand there are other forms of 'challenge' besides being an in your face jerk is why we're still here after all these pages.

[ 01. May 2014, 23:04: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn shame it isn't a boxing ring.......

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The sign DOESN'T say 'be prepared to be hit', it says 'be prepared to be challenged'. The fact that you can't understand there are other forms of 'challenge' besides being an in your face jerk is why we're still here after all these pages.

POTT

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, orfeo, this is how it goes.

I read SCK's post, and because he actually was amused at the fine sarcasm of my last post, and because he noticed that it actually had a decent point and honestly tried to react to that, I was somewhat inclined to give his recommendations a go. I know that his suggestion is one-sided, still not recognising that this is a rather vicious place if one is not in its mainstream. I know that it is naive, and will only lead to me getting ignored and/or walked over. But sometimes it is good to do something naive and unilateral. For a while.

I read EM's post, and because it was honestly trying to help, I was somewhat inclined to draw some motivational lesson from it. Of course, I read this post a bit like someone who has just ducked into a safe zone from a run of the Zombie apocalypse. The idea that all these people out there are having some kind of competitive run together, and that the slow pokes are fun runners rather than zombies trying to eat your brain, is just wildly inaccurate. But it has a sort of sweet idealism to it, and one could think that perhaps things will be better on the next run if one pretends that all this is true. For a while.

But then you come along. No humour in sight there, no appreciation. Not the slightest recognition that the bit about the scarlet letter "A" was actually a literary reference, rather than a serious suggestion. Well, maybe you just don't know that, fine. But then your "serious analysis" of this suggestion is also just stupid. Indeed, the "A(rgumentative)" label would work perfectly fine. Because ... and be prepared for this amazing insight ... I cannot actually "punch" anybody here. Unless they let me. Nobody has to read a single word I write, nobody has to react to anything I say - I am utterly incapable of doing anything to anyone here unless they allow me to. Now, of course, you can claim that I'm wily and that I can suck people into the vortex of my vicious words. Or whatever. But the "A" label would in fact take care of that. See an "A", scroll past the post, problem solved. No punching possible. So, yeah, not only did you miss completely what this was about, even your sour-faced analysis doesn't hold any water.

And then we get more crap I have a hard time to even get bored at by now. Really, we again have to pretend that all I ever do is "box" and that everybody else is trying to .... well, apparently being a light to the world while having hot free sex in the side rooms, or something like that. I have to admit that that is kind of intriguing. But returning from that acid trip, we come to the conclusion that the one thing that being prepared to be challenged cannot possibly mean is to be prepared to be challenged by me in my way. Because, well, no reason really other than that I called it "punching". And that is a bad, bad word.

I know that it is a favourite rhetorical technique on SoF, to say "your post makes me do/think exactly the opposite of what I guess you want me to do/think." But the above honestly is an elaboration of my "stream of consciousness" as I was reading through the latest round of responses. I have no rhetorical aim there but to let you know how that did in fact play for me. Take it for whatever it may be worth to you.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
POTT

... calling kettle black? My thoughts precisely, mousethief. I'm glad we finally agree on something here.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, I read this post a bit like someone who has just ducked into a safe zone from a run of the Zombie apocalypse. The idea that all these people out there are having some kind of competitive run together, and that the slow pokes are fun runners rather than zombies trying to eat your brain, is just wildly inaccurate. But it has a sort of sweet idealism to it, and one could think that perhaps things will be better on the next run if one pretends that all this is true. For a while.

ALOL. Nothing further from me. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF are POTT and ALOL?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
I read SCK's post, and because he actually was amused at the fine sarcasm of my last post, and because he noticed that it actually had a decent point and honestly tried to react to that, I was somewhat inclined to give his recommendations a go. I know that his suggestion is one-sided, still not recognising that this is a rather vicious place if one is not in its mainstream. I know that it is naive, and will only lead to me getting ignored and/or walked over. But sometimes it is good to do something naive and unilateral. For a while.

Don't give me too much credit, IngoB; I didn't get the literary reference in your letter A thing!

Also, it's not that I don't recognise that the Ship is a rather vicious place if one is not in its mainstream. It's that I don't agree with your characterisation. There is viciousness, sure, but it's not simply directed towards those not in the SoF mainstream, ISTM. I'm way outside the SoF mainstream on some matters, mainly around ecclesiology, but I wouldn't say I get treated viciously because of it.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
WTF are POTT and ALOL?

ALOL is "actually laughing out loud". Sorry [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nobody has to read a single word I write, nobody has to react to anything I say

Ye gods, he's right.

Everybody, I quit as Hellhost.

I'M FREE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

[/sarcasm]

That argument is almost always the most disingenuous piece of shit anyone can come up with. You post because you want people to read it. You post because you want people to react. Otherwise you could just open up Microsoft Word, type your thoughts up, press save, and then bask in the masturbatory glow of how good your writing was.

[ 02. May 2014, 10:55: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
But returning from that acid trip, we come to the conclusion that the one thing that being prepared to be challenged cannot possibly mean is to be prepared to be challenged by me in my way.

You really are good at logical fallacies, aren't you?

This is the exact same logical fallacy as 'you want to stop me from boxing'. It's already been pointed out to you that this is not the case. The point of saying 'not everyone is prepared to box' is almost the complete opposite of saying 'nobody is prepared to box'. The point is to tell you to pick your targets.

That you aren't very good at picking your targets is evidenced by the REACTIONS you get.

I'm bewildered how someone so intelligent can so consistently make logical errors along these lines. Seriously. The only reason I keep pressing these points is because I have this wild belief that you have a brain. A brain that should be able to understand set theory - propositions like the fact that 'Purgatory contains boxing' does not mean 'all Shipmates in Purgatory box'. Propositions like the fact that 'not all Shipmates in Purgatory box' does not mean 'boxing is frowned upon'.

There is not only a place, Ingo, but a time. And your problem is a poor ability to pick a time.

You seem intent on deflecting any comments I make about the Duel board (with some references to Erin that are scarcely comprehensible to me because I exchanged no more than 3 comments with her in our mutual time on the Ship), but I'm going to bring it up again anyway. Because it's clear that you wanted the Duel board to do away with all this irritating complexity and context. You wanted the Duel board because it would be the perfect place for the ritualised combat you want to carry out in Purgatory, and it WOULD have the 'be prepared to be hit' sign hanging over the door. It would be pure, one-on-one intellectual thrust and parry.

In short, it would be your ideal Purgatory.

The fact that you recognised Purgatory wasn't already it is one of the reasons I look at your claims about Purgatory and end up thinking you don't actually believe half of what you're asserting. Why would you need the Duel board if Purgatory already behaved that way? The truth is you know that it doesn't.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
POTT

... calling kettle black? My thoughts precisely, mousethief. I'm glad we finally agree on something here.
Here you are saying that orfeo is being a hypocrite because he, too, is a pugilist who can't seem to take on board that not everybody else in Purgatory is a pugilist.

Which simply isn't true.

Bzzzzt. Game over.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, we still don't know what POTT means. Yes, I did google it.
Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

I checked in the Urban Dictionary (I had no idea either). The only hit I got was "Piss On The Tongue".

I'm still unclear...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm surprised this isn't in the ship's glossary.

Post Of The Thread

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Old Triple Tiara?
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

I checked in the Urban Dictionary (I had no idea either). The only hit I got was "Piss On The Tongue".

I'm still unclear...

I found "Permissive Overreaching Transfer Trip", which I suppose it could be, if anyone could tell me WTF it means. Hello? Is that the West Coast of the USA?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
POTT

Here you are saying that orfeo is being a hypocrite because he, too, is a pugilist who can't seem to take on board that not everybody else in Purgatory is a pugilist.

Which simply isn't true.

Bzzzzt. Game over.

I know where to go to hit people. I'm there right now.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Which simply isn't true.

Bzzzzt. Game over.

I know where to go to hit people. I'm there right now.
There you go, making a liar of me. You bandy-legged, gap-toothed, flea-infested legislation drafter.

(and don't give me no sass or I'll have to use worse language on you)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

How am I making a liar of you, you arrogant jumped-up rodent with none of the dignity of Reepicheep?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I had never heard the term "jumped-up" before. Looked it up at urbandictionary. Thanks for a new addition to my vocabulary! You foul-breathed, knee-walking, hop-toad of a mythical musician.

Oh, and you're right. I misread what you were saying. Fathead.

[ 03. May 2014, 03:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

You're welcome, you disease-carrying bearded weasel.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You just take that back!

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good grief. Get a room.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Good grief. Get a room.

We did. It's not our fault if you walk in.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Good grief. Get a room.

We did. It's not our fault if you walk in.
Honey, while you're up, could you bring me a Scotch?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

[Killing me]

...ice?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No thank you, but water on the side, if you don't mind.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

[Eek!] You're not supposed to be home until Tuesday!!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

What he says. Ice in scotch signifies mediocre whisky or a lack of class. A sip of water between sips of whisky is another thing.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but it's the lack of class that's the turn-on. Put your wellies on tonight, you slag!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

What he says. Ice in scotch signifies mediocre whisky or a lack of class. A sip of water between sips of whisky is another thing.
If one has actual cask strength whisky, rather than the already watered down variety usually sold, then indeed even adding some water to the whisky can improve the taste.

Anyway, I've been busy gearing up (sort of literally) for posting in Circus for once, and as far as I can see what needed to be said here has been said at great length. I think I'll leave it at this.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
[Killing me]

...ice?

AVERT!

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I'll leave it at this.

You are a better man than me.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo and mousethief [Killing me]

Nen - reminded afresh of some of the reasons why she loves the Ship.

[/unhellish tangent] *runs*

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:

True, but the bar is at its lowest setting.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:

True, but the bar is at its lowest setting.
Is that at the "tripping over it", "stubbing your toe on it" or the "secure carpet to the floor" level?

They are all low, but one doesn't even notice the last.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has this achieved the record for the longest hell thread about one Shipmate?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:

I doubt it. And a thread is about so many things. But as far as I know we don't bother keeping such esoteric records and we dump this stuff into Limbo on a regular basis.

I actually do keep some fairly esoteric records for my own personal interest, but not about the Ship. I don't care about you all as much as I do about my music collection or X-Files DVDs.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fregory, probably.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, it will have been one of the annual lent fests

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering about Myrrh -she garnered some really long threads.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, Bingo, this is where your need for razor- edged accuracy would come in handy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:

I was the guest of honor some years back in a hell thread that ran 25 pages. In which I spoke not one word. It wasn't funny, it wasn't pretty, it wasn't pleasant, and a good time was not had by all. Most of it, I thoroughly deserved.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016