homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Purgatory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hell (Page 1)

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A disturbing meme

Eternal punishment, eternal torture, eternal fire has no purpose.

It has no redemptive quality,
it has no transformative power,
it has no Grace,
it has no love.

It has no opportunity for repentance.
It has no kin with the Good News.
It has no kin with the majority of the New Testament.
It's only Bad News.

It's only revenge.
And even then it's revenge not commensurate with crimes perpetrated because it is eternal and life on earth is not. So it's not even retributive justice. The scales are not balanced.

Eternal punishment is not justifiable if God is a God of love which the New Testament tells us is true.

So what in God's name were you Evangelists on about? Was it solely about scaring people?

Fear is a shallow, temporary motivator.

Or did you count on that because of our shallowness? Is Hell just a stopgap for the weak?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a bad Easter, dear? Too much choccie?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sick in bed all day.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Part of the problem is the contrast.

Easter offers us eternal life and the knowledge of ultimate victory of good over evil

But it also offers eternal punishment. And that seems to be an increase in evil.

So it doesn't work.

Eternal punishment/torture/fire must be wrong.

[ 20. April 2014, 12:35: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cute photo for a disturbing idea.

You are right to call the idea of Hell to Hell, where it belongs.

Of course Hell IS just an idea, not a place - there is plenty of Hell here on Earth without us having to invent an other-worldly Hell.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

That's probably what makes it most disturbing.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

That's probably what makes it most disturbing.
The little girl does look ever so slightly evil, of course ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, loveless, faithless, selfish choices are just going to lead us to a fluffy bunny filled wonderland.

Yes, we are called to live Kingdom filled lives. Yes, focusing on fear and the negative will not get us there.

But let's not pretend. We have choices, there are consequences.

[ 20. April 2014, 13:41: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Exactly.

Did God even "invent" Hell? Or did man invent it by turning away from God and finding themselves in a graceless place without love?

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good call. The great deception of hell, as detailed in the op and as lives in the human imagination, is worthy of hell. It's deception which belongs to the devil. Even though this is the Hell board, I won't take the bait and use the language that befits it.

Our self-imposed detachment of God means that we live in hell already, in a parched spiritual desert that we're drawn further into by ever more deception.

The good news of Christ is that God has paved the way for us to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Now, and for ever. That's the truth. Yes, God wants us to love him back, but God always loves us regardless of our wrong decisions, regardless of how much we hurt each other and him. Christ is risen, and so can we be. It's up to us to spread the word and counter the lies, isn't it?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very cute call, Evensong. I have often puzzled over what hell means. I find the idea of 'eternal punishment' too opaque really to understand, unless 'eternal' means something like 'not in time'.

I suppose the idea of being without God is an interesting approach to hell, although I would think that many people who feel without God, do not think they are in hell at all! And being without God does not refer to being without love, clearly. The whole of my family were atheists, and they were not unloving people at all.

There is also the tantalizing idea that God also withdraws in some way, so that creation itself can occur - called 'tzimtzum' in Jewish mysticism.

Then there is the idea of the ego, which presents itself as a kind of mini-god, I suppose, and apparently has no need of God, but maybe this is fool's gold.

Hmm, well, that is all perplexing indeed!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I forgot to say that I have always taken great enjoyment in the Zen quote, 'hell isn't punishment, it's training', although of course this comes from a non-theistic source.

And I've found it to be true in a sort of relative way, in that the hellish times of my life, have paid off for me in various ways, including increased compassion for others, greater insight and patience, being able to love and be loved, and also rejecting a lot of the froth and nonsense in life. Well, that's not bad for a beginner!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone told me years ago that Hell was a state of being rather than an actual place, and I'm in agreement with that.

Hell is that state of despair, restlessness, constant seeking for something and not finding it, with everything proving unsatisfying. Hell is self-loathing, the gritty grey circular paths of the underworld that feature in depression, strewn with sharp pointed stones, and no sunlight anywhere, because sunlight is a lie and there never was any sunlight. Hell is the relentless mocking of anything beautiful, true or useful, until it can be distorted, corrupted or defiled in the name of "reality" or "the real world", or "grown up" or "common sense" and dragged down into the baseline of other things that no longer give any joy or have any real value or meaning. Hell is the inability to rest or find contentment or peace of mind anywhere.

And last but not least Hell is separation, either self-chosen or unintentional, from the love of God and all that makes life worthwhile.

Hell feels like eternal punishment and sometimes an excruciating one, but is more like the fires of Purgatory in that there can be an end to it. I have never believed that God would condemn anyone to eternal torment.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But why condemn to torment at all?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a church in south-east London which has had a series of large boards outside it, probably designed and produced in-house, for the thirty odd years I have been driving past. Initially there was just one, leaning against the church wall. One of the last of these befoe they put up two, facing up and down the road, was split in two halves. One the left "GOD LOVES YOU". On the right. "IF YOU DON'T LOVE HIM, YOU'LL GO TO HELL." Slightly smaller print to fit it in. They haven't done anything so unhelpful since. Hell hasn't had a look in.

I have a friend who has been dancing to and from Christianity all his life, and one of the things which most causes him to resist it is a) the doctrine of Hell, and b) the sort of people who smile sweetly about it, say that the blessed in heaven will forget about relations in the other placee, while cheerfully consigning their granny or whoever down there. Not an attractive doctrine, in any sense.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:

Which would therefore mean a good percentage of the NT must be wrong , which could therefore mean the whole darn thing is wrong .

Hi Ho, back to the theological drawing board [Roll Eyes]

< Get well soon ES >

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think God does condemn anyone to torment at all. I think some of it can be people letting themselves in for things that they either knew/didn't care or didn't realize would have consequences, and the rest is stuff like bereavements, mental illness, natural disasters and the stupid egocentricities that can lead to war, famine, terrorism, etc.

Someone else also once said that if the Bible had been written in Europe instead of the Middle East, Hell would be depicted as a blisteringly cold, icy place instead of the other extreme of fire.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A being which creates the game and the players is responsible for the losing as well as the winning.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
.... people who smile sweetly about it, say that the blessed in heaven will forget about relations in the other place, while cheerfully consigning their granny or whoever down there. Not an attractive doctrine, in any sense.

Certainly not attractive in the normal use of the word .

Yet people are still prepared to sign up to it . Proving that we , the enlightened Homo Sap, are not the all sweetness and light we may think . No matter how much we may wish it so.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
But why condemn to torment at all?

There seems to be a sort of schizophrenia which goes on in relation to this. On the one hand, hell is separation from God, which is willed or created by me, the prison cell is locked on the inside and so on; on the other hand, I am condemned.

Well, no doubt it's a false dichotomy. It's also probably a question of personality, isn't it? I suppose some people actually enjoy the condemnation?

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
There seems to be a sort of schizophrenia which goes on in relation to this. On the one hand, hell is separation from God, which is willed or created by me, the prison cell is locked on the inside and so on; on the other hand, I am condemned.

Well, no doubt it's a false dichotomy. It's also probably a question of personality, isn't it? I suppose some people actually enjoy the condemnation?

There's got to be some mileage in that statement quetzalcoatl.

I may be wide of the mark here as I'm no expert , but having heard a radio interview with young person afflicted with anorexia nervosa I was struck by the lucid way in which they described it .
It was exactly as you say, 'a prison cell locked on the inside' . They described it as having a terrorist pointing a gun at their head 24/7.

ISTM that if we take away institutionalized condemnation , (IE the Biblical Hell), there's a chance we can subconsciously invent our own form of it.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

There's got to be some mileage in that statement quetzalcoatl.

I may be wide of the mark here as I'm no expert , but having heard a radio interview with young person afflicted with anorexia nervosa I was struck by the lucid way in which they described it .
It was exactly as you say, 'a prison cell locked on the inside' . They described it as having a terrorist pointing a gun at their head 24/7.

ISTM that if we take away institutionalized condemnation , (IE the Biblical Hell), there's a chance we can subconsciously invent our own form of it.

Yes, I'm sure that we do. One problem is that people often don't know where the key is, or even if there is a key.

But how does this relate to the Christian view of hell? Wasn't the 'cell locked on the inside' an attempt to get away from condemnation (C. S. Lewis in particular).

I think it's very insightful, but does it square with traditional views of hell?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The Eternal Play

God: Behold! I have created you in the land of pain and confusion, but fear not! You have the chance to join Me in the land of Eternal hugs and puppies! Rejoice!
Humanity: Right, we are coming right over! Directions?
God: You must cross the CHASM of fire and agony and torture and suffering. Ware the chasm, it is full of evil things, like taxes and marmite.
Humanity: Hmmm, sounds a bit nasty, perhaps we'll stay right here.
God: You MUST attempt the crossing! If you do not, you will be thrown in the CHASM!
Fear not! I have created a bridge so that you may cross safely!
Humanity: Joy! We are coming right over!
God: Ware the Wrong Path though.
Humanity: The Wrong Path?
God: There are two paths: one, the Right Path, leads to Me and the land of hugs and puppies! The other, the Wrong Path, leads to the Bottom of the CHASM!
Humanity: How shall we know?
God: The path on the right is the Right Path. Have care! It is exceedingly narrow and there are side paths branching off, leading to the CHASM!
Humanity: So the left path, the broad path lined with sex and candy and money and pleasure, that is the Wrong Path?
God: Yep!
Oh, don't worry, there is sex and candy and money and pleasure on the Right Path, just not too much of it. Or in the wrong way with the wrong people at the wrong time.
Humanity: Erm, joy?
God: Fret not! I've a Rule Book for you. I ran it past the lawyers first, so it is a bit long. And confusing. And seemingly contradictory. But follow it and you will be fine. And I shall inspire Leaders to help you! But make certain to follow the correct leader, or you shall end in the CHASM!
And remember, your choices are your free will so it you end up in the CHASM I made, it is your own fault.
It is all worth it to end up in the land of hugs and puppies! With Me!
Humanity: So why the CHASM?
God: Because, erm, I , um, love you?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

I think they need it. And who can blame them? We have all been hurt one way or another by non-contrite people. To hope for some sort of punishment for them, eventually, is a very human thing imo.

But it's NOT Godly at all!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

I think they need it. And who can blame them? We have all been hurt one way or another by non-contrite people. To hope for some sort of punishment for them, eventually, is a very human thing imo.

But it's NOT Godly at all!

That's a very good point, about needing it. I would say that some people do need the drama of crime and punishment, as it corresponds to some kind of internal imagery, that they possess.

But as you say, what does it have to do with God? Well, some people probably have God in that drama, as a kind of vindictive super-judge, who is propitiated.

As Simone Weil said, the false god changes suffering into violence.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell is separation from God. It is a state of being without your life-giving force. Not unlike being deprived of your daemon in the His Dark Materials series.

Not something imposed by God, something decided by us. A state of less-than-full being. That is my view of it, at least.

Rather like having to discuss with Evensong for very long.

The old concept of hell as a pit of flames, into which the sinful (i.e. those who do not agree with you) are cast by a loving God (i.e. yourself with power), deserves a place in hell - that is not what it is about. It is also something we experience aspects of here on earth primarily, not post-mortem only. If at all.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
A being which creates the game and the players is responsible for the losing as well as the winning.

Not if the players are given free will and autonomy. That's the whole point.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Hell is separation from God. It is a state of being without your life-giving force. Not unlike being deprived of your daemon in the His Dark Materials series.

Not something imposed by God, something decided by us. A state of less-than-full being. That is my view of it, at least.

Rather like having to discuss with Evensong for very long.

The old concept of hell as a pit of flames, into which the sinful (i.e. those who do not agree with you) are cast by a loving God (i.e. yourself with power), deserves a place in hell - that is not what it is about. It is also something we experience aspects of here on earth primarily, not post-mortem only. If at all.

But this is a major shift in Christian thinking, isn't it? From condemnation to a self-locked cell - wow, that is a huge distance to cover, it seems to me. I suppose it takes the sting out of the charge of 'created sick', since now we are self-created sick!

Does it mean that Christians started to feel a bit wobbly about hellfire and brimstone? Or is it a major philosophical shift towards post-modernism?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

I am not trying to be rude, but Free Will changes nothing. Truly free will would be the choice not to play the game at all.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post 
He closed the yawning gates of hell,
the bars from heaven's high portals fell;
let hymns of praise his triumphs tell!
Alleluia! ("The Strife is O'er")

Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν,
θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας,
καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι,
ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death,
and on those in the tombs
bestowing life!

Christ is Risen!

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There seems to be a sort of schizophrenia which goes on in relation to this.

I know it may seen insignificant pedantry, but please don't use the term 'schizophrenia' in this way. Even if being used in a metaphorical way, it doesn't describe what you are saying.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am not trying to be rude, but Free Will changes nothing. Truly free will would be the choice not to play the game at all.
i) Every living thing on Earth other than Man does not get a chance to "play the game".

ii) Whaddya mean game? This is for real.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Games can be real, but it is merely a metaphor, call it what you want.

My point remains: An all-powerful being creates a situation in which it is possible for its creations to suffer.
Stating you do not understand the mechanism is fine.
Stating that there must be choice to justify the suffering kinda negates the whole All-Powerful bit. Kinda shorts the loving as well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But this is a major shift in Christian thinking, isn't it? From condemnation to a self-locked cell - wow, that is a huge distance to cover, it seems to me. I suppose it takes the sting out of the charge of 'created sick', since now we are self-created sick!

Does it mean that Christians started to feel a bit wobbly about hellfire and brimstone? Or is it a major philosophical shift towards post-modernism?

I wonder how much of a shift. As I look at the story of Adam and Eve, istm that they were given every opportunity to carry on with their relationship with God in the garden, but by their own free will they decided to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Post-modernist?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
quote:

I wonder how much of a shift. As I look at the story of Adam and Eve, istm that they were given every opportunity to carry on with their relationship with God in the garden, but by their own free will they decided to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Post-modernist?
OK, fair point. But weren't Adam and Eve (which I take symbolically really), facing a stacked deck? How the hell could they compute the relationship between eating a fruit, and a ton of grief that would ensue? If I was offered that deal, I would call the manager and demand a fresh pack.

By post-modernism I mean that the 'self-locked cell' idea de-centres and deconstructs the whole ambit of crime and punishment. I'm not punished by God, who is also de-centred. This to me is part of the post-modernist move away from the grand narrative towards the fragile I, who is, basically, lost. Yes, that is also in the Bible, but with all the big rhetoric as well, isn't it?

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
I think it's very insightful, but does it square with traditional views of hell?

Was on a bit of a wide sweep with my comparison . But wasn't our old traditional and simplistic view of Hell something like -- *a bad place you end up in if you do bad stuff*.
Admittedly this didn't work terribly well as society has always had it's proportion of individuals prepared to risk condemnation, both the down-to-earth sort and the divine.

Nevertheless some vague concept of Hell has been buried in our thinking for many Centuries . This is no longer the case in the sanitized and sensitized present day.
So these days we tend to hear the phrase --'in a bad place' when someone's feeling like shite . Self imposed condemnation , (or self criticism), may seem lighter and healthier than having a judgmental God breathing down our neck . There could though be a darker side to it.

I mean this stuff must connect somewhere at a deep level , why else would evangelical rants re. Hell and damnation find any favour at all in this day and age.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
OK, fair point. But weren't Adam and Eve (which I take symbolically really), facing a stacked deck? How the hell could they compute the relationship between eating a fruit, and a ton of grief that would ensue? If I was offered that deal, I would call the manager and demand a fresh pack.

It's pretty clear really (and I take it as symbolic too), 'Don't do that or you will die' sounds as if a ton of grief will ensue if you do it. They did it anyway, then hid from God, indicating that they were aware that the relationship had been damaged.

quote:

By post-modernism I mean that the 'self-locked cell' idea de-centres and deconstructs the whole ambit of crime and punishment. I'm not punished by God, who is also de-centred. This to me is part of the post-modernist move away from the grand narrative towards the fragile I, who is, basically, lost. Yes, that is also in the Bible, but with all the big rhetoric as well, isn't it?

As ever, more than one story must interconnect to make reality. We relate with God individually as well as corporately, God is both immanent and transcendent, there are endless possibilities and permutations and we try to work it out with our puny brains, reducing it to our worldly experience, while God nudges and prompts and guides us, knowing what we're like and loving us despite our failings.

God's grand narrative can't be translated into our projection of it, but that won't stop us from continuing to try.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Raptor Eye

Again, fair points, but I don't think we live in a philosophy seminar. Humans are savage and passionate animals, and asking them to judge questions of free will and its consequences is bizarre really.

Well, you could argue that the idea of hell therefore arises naturally as a savage and passionate place. Is this the price of freedom? I don't know, more like the price of desire or attachment.

Well, I am in a different place I guess, hell is a kind of training ground. Here! creep wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And being without God does not refer to being without love, clearly. The whole of my family were atheists, and they were not unloving people at all.

Jesus did not distinguish between the sheep and the goats on the basis of what they professed about God, so I wouldn't expect him to distinguish between atheists and Christians on that basis, either.

quote:
I forgot to say that I have always taken great enjoyment in the Zen quote, 'hell isn't punishment, it's training', although of course this comes from a non-theistic source.
Nice quote - thanks!

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not all games involving losing. If God set up a cooperative game to get everyone working together to achieve a common goal just for the joy of it, "hell" could simply be the label given to the choice not to play at all.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

But let's not pretend. We have choices, there are consequences.

Of course there are consequences. But the consequence of eternal punishment is not commensurate with the crime or of God's nature as described in the OP.

A child rapist deserves hell. But it would be more in keeping with God's healing nature to reform that rapist rather than eternally punish them for no good purpose.

quote:
quote:

Which would therefore mean a good percentage of the NT must be wrong , which could therefore mean the whole darn thing is wrong .

Not so. That's the slippery slope logical fallacy.

quote:
quote:
quote:

It's quite possible we choose to be born. *shrug*.

If you had the choice, would you choose not to be alive?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell really is separation from God and His grace, knowing the gap's there and being unable to bridge it. But then, Sartre says that hell is other people.

[ 21. April 2014, 00:40: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

I mean this stuff must connect somewhere at a deep level , why else would evangelical rants re. Hell and damnation find any favour at all in this day and age.

It appeals to a sense of justice. Significant evil doers should not be able to get away with doing terrible things to other people. It's not right.

Yet eternal punishment is not justice, its just overblown vengeance because there is no redemption. It is God's nature that all her children be called to life.

Annihilation would be more in keeping with God's justice than eternal punishment/torture IMO.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something like the 'self-locked door' presentation of hell is found in the NT, as well as in CS Lewis and I believe Milton; see John 3;19-20

quote:
`And this is the judgment, that the light hath come to the world, and men did love the darkness rather than the light, for their works were evil; 20 for every one who is doing wicked things hateth the light, and doth not come unto the light, that his works may not be detected;
John 3:19-20 (YLT)

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

a) The experimental evidence available to us very strongly suggests that we do not have what I suspect you mean by "free will" and

b) If your god knows the outcome of the game for each of its creations before it creates them then its not a very nice god is it? How would you describe someone who consciously breeds puppies/kittens that will inevitably suffer an early death after a life of constant agony? At least their pain will end.

Don't think about it too much - it's one of the several routes to atheism which are embedded in Christianity.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A disturbing meme

Eternal punishment, eternal torture, eternal fire has no purpose.

It has no redemptive quality,
it has no transformative power,
it has no Grace,
it has no love.

It has no opportunity for repentance.
It has no kin with the Good News.
It has no kin with the majority of the New Testament.
It's only Bad News.

It's only revenge.
And even then it's revenge not commensurate with crimes perpetrated because it is eternal and life on earth is not. So it's not even retributive justice. The scales are not balanced.

Eternal punishment is not justifiable if God is a God of love which the New Testament tells us is true.

So what in God's name were you Evangelists on about? Was it solely about scaring people?

Fear is a shallow, temporary motivator.

Or did you count on that because of our shallowness? Is Hell just a stopgap for the weak?

Fiery, pitchfork-in-the-ass-for-all-eternity Hell is an exercise in wishful thinking for those who want retribution against others but are powerless to do anything themselves.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
Fiery, pitchfork-in-the-ass-for-all-eternity Hell is an exercise in wishful thinking for those who want retribution against others but are powerless to do anything themselves.

If that makes you feel better about it, I'm not going to stop you.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Truly free will would be the choice not to play the game at all.

That gets into the same territory as trying to sue doctors for 'wrongful birth'. Step one of the 'game' is being born. By the time you have awareness to object to step one, it's too late. Sorry.

As far as I'm aware, no religion or belief system gets around that one. None of them are about how to prevent being born. They're about how you handle the mess afterwards.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

All-Powerful, All-Knowing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Essentially, you seem to be saying that it would have been better for God not to have created the world. Since as has been said previously, once something is created, then that enity is part of creation and has to work within that system.

The terms all powerful and all knowing need to be unpacked rather than merely stated as arguments. In classical theism, God's omniscience is usually taken to mean that he knows all that can be known, rather than simply he knows everything without any sort of qualification e.g. he knows what our future holds because he transcends time and sees our entire timeline as now, but wouldn't know anything about a person who hadn't been created, since there wouldn't be anything to know.

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016