homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thank you Desert Daughter (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thank you Desert Daughter
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, I though I was going to get an apprentice to train up.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well Putin has announced his own Eurasian version of the Eurovision contest with wholesome family fare. I hope Desert Daughter gets to watch a lot of it.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A contest controlled by one country. Yeah, that's going to be a perfect replacement...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like the USA's 'World Series', eh?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

It's not the USA's World Series, it's MLB's World Series. Shove your pond-war synecdoche up your nether hyperbole.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

It's not the USA's World Series, it's MLB's World Series. Shove your pond-war synecdoche up your nether hyperbole.
And there's a Canadian team. Sort of.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't it named for a newspaper originally? Wikipedia isn't helpful about that.

It must be admitted that it is odd that a sport championship for a single nation (albeit with one team from that most American of Canadian cities) is labelled "world". Hence the question.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

I thought that also. It was either the World Series or the World Almanac that was originally sponsored by The New York World. I couldn't find more information.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever. I look forward to seeing Russo-vision, where men are real men, women are real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri are real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

It must be admitted that it is odd that a sport championship for a single nation (albeit with one team from that most American of Canadian cities) is labelled "world". Hence the question.

*sigh* I can't believe I'm feeding this tangent, but:
1. There used to be the Montreal Expos. They even won a series once, if memory serves me correctly. Now they've moved to DC, where they may never win a series because no DC sports team can. It's like a law of nature or something.
2. Technically, the only major pro baseball teams are in America's National League and Japan's Central League. I don't know what they play in the American League, or anywhere else that doesn't make pitchers step up to the plate and do their part, but it isn't baseball.
3. Isn't there a baseball thread in the Circus or something? It's not my demesne anymore, so I don't know. Would somebody mind checking for me? Ta muchly.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I don't know what they play in the American League, or anywhere else that doesn't make pitchers step up to the plate and do their part, but it isn't baseball.

[Snore]

Thankfully for National League assholes, this is the only rule that ever changed in the history of baseball.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I don't know what they play in the American League, or anywhere else that doesn't make pitchers step up to the plate and do their part, but it isn't baseball.

[Snore]

Thankfully for National League assholes, this is the only rule that ever changed in the history of baseball.

Yes, there really is a baseball thread. It's in the Circus although any discussion of the place of the DH* will have to be in Hell. Just not on this thread; a Pond War is one thing, another dividing the USA could be a lot nastier, especially over such a crucial issue.

*Designated Hitter, not Dead Horse. Although it probably is a Dead Horse issue.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Razz]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
A Pond War is one thing, another dividing the USA could be a lot nastier, especially over such a crucial issue.

Speaking of which, did you know that my home state has the only barbecue worth the name in the whole entire country, and therefore the world?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are from Jamaica?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, she went of her own accord.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Alaska myself

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Get out. The lot of you.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wanders out, singing “What did Delaware boy, what did Delaware…..”

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Are you lot getting as bored with this thread as your hosts are? Be warned, we're watching.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sigh* I can't believe I'm feeding this tangent, but:
1. There used to be the Montreal Expos. They even won a series once, if memory serves me correctly. Now they've moved to DC, where they may never win a series because no DC sports team can. It's like a law of nature or something.

I think it's a divine law rather than a natural one. [Devil]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016