homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Palinland: Disneyland with real bears

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Palinland: Disneyland with real bears
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh for fuck's sake. Let's get a few things clear. One nutter does not represent an entire people. I know it's fun to make fun of Sarah Palin - no one enjoys it more than we do - but can we move on? The entire country of Germany is not represented by Hitler. Thatcherism does not define everything the UK does and is today. So whenever anything is said about Alaska, ever, can we get past the need to write it all off because of one little idiot who ceased to have any need to be in the headlines 5 year ago?

over here I inserted a point of information just to clarify how education standards work in the States, and mine in particular. (because, you know, it's the state I'm most familiar with)
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Another pond difference. The US doesn't have public exams for school pupils - the qualification you get at the end of your school years is a "high school diploma", and is certified by the school itself.

based on required standards set by the state, not the individual school. districts can add further requirements on top of the state standards, but not change or decrease the state requirement.

to get a diploma, a home schooled student still needs to meet those state requirements. And in my state, they also need to pass the graduation qualifying exam. a diploma isn't issued willy-nilly by the parents or church group or crazy cat lady down the street.

Gee D responded thusly
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Given Palin's comments about the disappearance of the MH 370, the crazy cat lady is not down the street, but in the State Governor's residence as well. Don't worry, we have plenty of nutters in our politics as well.

[brick wall]

I originally was going to reply on the thread, but it's a birdwalk from the topic at hand. I'm not calling Gee D to Hell, per se, I know there are a lot of people who think all of Alaska is pretty much Palin clones and glaciers. so....

just for the record, and despite my better judgement, I feel the need to say the following:

• Sarah Palin was our governor for exactly half of a full term.
  • She had exactly zero influence on Alaskan education policy.
  • our graduation standards were in place long before anyone outside of Wazilla had even heard of her.
  • she has been out of political office of any kind for 5 years.
  • she has not even lived in Alaska for a number of years. If I remember correctly, she's Arizona's problem.
  • one freak does not even come close to representing an entire people. Any more than Steve Erwin can tell us all about Australian wildlife policy.

Sarah was fun. She's an easy target. and by all means continue to make fun of her if that's how you get your jollies. But how about you all reserve judgement on an entire state that is larger than any western European country in land mass (though smaller than most medium sized cities in population) based on one woman.

If you're going to judge us on one celebrity, how about Jewel?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Steve Erwin can tell us much of anything at the moment. [Razz]
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aawwwww, comet! why must you steal our fun?
Can we at least pretend that the perps featured on Alaska State Troopers are representative? Or the collective idiots on the various mining moron programmes?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or Thatcher or Hitler, for that matter. My point is how one person's public life is not representative of a place. not their actual words.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon Mayor Stubbs is way more typical.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Aawwwww, comet! why must you steal our fun?
Can we at least pretend that the perps featured on Alaska State Troopers are representative? Or the collective idiots on the various mining moron programmes?

well, at least they're representative of a slightly larger percentage of the population. [Biased]

while we're here - Gold Rush Alaska (is that what it's called?) is complete shit. the producers have even gotten in trouble with the law at least three times. I now live near the mine.

and further - the reality TV hard on for AK is not us, generally. (though, somewhat closer than crazyass Palinland) What is it with everyone wanting to film the fuck out of our quirkiest characters? And really, they don't even get the best ones. just the ones who are desperate for attention.

[ 21. May 2014, 18:53: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I reckon Mayor Stubbs is way more typical.

Actually, yes. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to say it, but I've only heard of two people on this list, and one was Palin. It's not like you've got any Shakespeares or Churchills to represent you and your fellow people, is it?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked Alaska State Troopers [Hot and Hormonal] for the cops, not the perps. And I enjoyed Coast Guard Alaska very much: nice, normal people being rescued and brave, extraordinary people rescuing.

And the scenery, always the scenery! [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

(cross posted)

alas, the Peratroviches, Hammonds, Iveys, the Kantners, or even the crazy Gravels just don't draw the headlines like the idiots do.

[ 21. May 2014, 19:05: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I liked Alaska State Troopers [Hot and Hormonal] for the cops, not the perps. And I enjoyed Coast Guard Alaska very much: nice, normal people being rescued and brave, extraordinary people rescuing.

did you see the AST with the crazy guy who lit himself on fire in a public park? he's the son of a regular. I was nearby for the filming.

and yes, I know this undercuts my argument somewhat. *sigh*

I didn't even know there was a Coastie show. there's so many AK shows. WTF? the TV world is weird.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I hate to say it, but I've only heard of two people on this list, and one was Palin. It's not like you've got any Shakespeares or Churchills to represent you and your fellow people, is it?

You've never heard of 'The Birdman of Alcatraz'? [Roll Eyes]

Given that the current population of Alaska is less than that of Birmingham (England, but probably Alabama as well), that large-scale population has been there barely a century and that most of the skills shown are in fields that barely register on a Western European radar, I'm not surprised that they're mostly unknown to you and me.

Should have stayed with the Russians, though [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite honestly, any place that lists the Birdman of Alcatraz amongst its most notables sounds great to me. People suck mongoose balls, as someone once said, and I think obscurity due to low celebrity density must be a pretty damn good thing.

But sure, it must irk Alaskans if their state's most famous daughter is Sarah Palin.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:

yeah, 'cause Putin would be so much better.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

did you see the AST with the crazy guy who lit himself on fire in a public park? he's the son of a regular. I was nearby for the filming.

and yes, I know this undercuts my argument somewhat. *sigh*

Because you're fine with quirky/weird/whatever AK stuff when it involves you, if only tangentially. You trade on that shit all the time on these boards. You love telling the crazy AK stories when it suits your persona-building.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Well, Duh.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a strong, fabulous, fiesty, famous person from Alaska.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it is Michele Bachmann. Never any mention of Keith Ellison, Al Franken, Paul Wellstone, or even freaking Hubert Humphrey. Nope. Shelly = Minnesota, all of it. Idiots. I feel your pain Comet.

[ 21. May 2014, 19:52: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Boogie: fabulous, feisty; but not famous. (I checked the list Yorick linked to. I'm not there. alas. toiling in obscurity. [Biased] )

unless you meant someone like Callan Chythlook-Sifsof. then, yeah, totally!

and yes, sorry Minnesota. I know we're fighting the same battle. but at least you have Dylan and Prince.

[ 21. May 2014, 19:53: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I reckon anyone who chooses to live in that much snow that close to the arctic is a sandwich short of a picnic anyway.

Are they really filming the oddballs because you're all fucking lunatics.

Are you sure they didn't just throw a dead grizzly bear carcass off a roof and call whomsoever it fell on Govenor? They might have done, 'cause it's dark much of the time there I believe.

[ 21. May 2014, 20:01: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Personally I reckon anyone who chooses to live in that much snow that close to the arctic is a sandwich short of a picnic anyway.

Are they really filming the oddballs because you're all fucking lunatics.

Are you sure they didn't just throw a dead grizzly bear carcass off a roof and call whomsoever it fell on Govenor? They might have done, 'cause it's dark much of the time there I believe.

keep thinking that. keeps the losers away.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...and yes, sorry Minnesota. I know we're fighting the same battle. but at least you have Dylan and Prince.

And The Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Low, Marcy Playground, Eddie Cochran, Trampled by Turtles, and Lipps, Inc (Won't you take me to funkytown?)
[Biased]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh I didn't realise Darby Stanchfield was a 'laskan. Sassy gal.

TBH, when I hear about Alaska, Comet is the person I normally think of. When I think of dipsy mercan politicians, Palin is one person who comes to mind. But I never consider that all Alsakans are as batty as her. I tend to see you more as Eskimos, huddling in your frozen state, wondering what that stupid ex-govner is doing NOW.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would have been a shithouse hell call Comet as it's as clear as daylight that my comment was not of Alaskan politicians in general but only of Ms Palin - and I acknowledged the loopies and loonies (is that being loopiephobic and looniephobic?) amongst ours.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the difference between Palin and many other politicians is that she, like Dan Quayle before her, likes to live her stupidity in public. Politics being the most expensive form of entertainment invented.

Other countries look to the USA for a lot our entertainment, it is America's most visible export. So that's probably why vacuous ignoramuses like them get press around the world. How they get elected is another story, which I don't understand well.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would have been a shithouse hell call Comet as it's as clear as daylight that my comment was not of Alaskan politicians in general but only of Ms Palin - and I acknowledged the loopies and loonies (is that being loopiephobic and looniephobic?) amongst ours.

Really? I would have called you to Hell because you refer to the Governor's residence while talking about something that's got nothing to do with her being Governor. And that's despite the fact that you're my fellow convict in the land of kangaroos.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Duh.

My point was that you regularly encourage everyone to think you're all nuts up there in AK, so you don't have much grounds for complaining about it when people think you're all nuts up there. Not everyone has figured out that when it's about you, being nuts is cool and exotic, but when it's not about you, it's not fair for us to think you're all nuts.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Comet beat you to the thread didn't she Orfeo, and now you're all snaky, trying very hard to think of a different line - and failing.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Well, Duh.

My point was that you regularly encourage everyone to think you're all nuts up there in AK, so you don't have much grounds for complaining about it when people think you're all nuts up there. Not everyone has figured out that when it's about you, being nuts is cool and exotic, but when it's not about you, it's not fair for us to think you're all nuts.
I think she got that. Comet is nothing if not quick on the uptake. You made your point, and she accepted some truth in it. End of.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Well, Duh.

I do love how quirky some of us can be, though the idiot who set himself on fire wouldn't exactly be my favorite example of that. Nor do I think the quirky is all "cool and exotic" it's a two edged sword - entertaining when it's not ugly or tragic. Nor is the quirky representative of the whole state. but why would I tell the stories of boring people?

however, what that has to do with my distaste for people translating an entire state's public policy through one bad politician is beyond me. crazy people who light themselves on fire in public parks are also not setting educational policy any more than Sarah ever did.

I like telling the stories of the interesting people around me when it is pertinent to the conversation. I don't see how that makes things all about me. Nor have I been given to understand that my stories of my various odd neighbors is somehow bothering anyone. besides you, of course.

I do not claim to represent Alaska any more than you claim to represent California. there are plenty of people here who would strongly differ with my representation - the majority of voters, for starters. And if I were to pack up and move to, say, Fiji, I'd observe and enjoy the stories of the people there. And probably share them. you are welcome to not read anything I say.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sad fact is that Thatcherism does define far too much of what the UK is about today. Zombie Thatcher still stalks the halls of every major think tank and party HQ in London.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The sad fact is that Thatcherism does define far too much of what the UK is about today. Zombie Thatcher still stalks the halls of every major think tank and party HQ in London.

Yeah, well, that's something you and Comet have in common. You're both out of step with what the electorate vote in where you live.

Thank fuck!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But Comet beat you to the thread didn't she Orfeo, and now you're all snaky, trying very hard to think of a different line - and failing.

Your attempt to get inside my head is endearing. And also unsuccessful. The reason for not calling you to hell is, incredibly obviously, because I'm not Alaskan. IF I WERE I would have reacted. I spotted your comment in Purgatory and thought it might get you into trouble many hours before I knew THIS thread existed.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Heaven forbid that I would want to get into your head Orfeo, but this later post of yours drips, positively drips, with the angst that Comet beat you to it.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

It's odd, I can't find any reference in the news to a toxic gas leak in Sydney, yet something is clearly affecting your mental faculties at the moment.

I'M NOT ALASKAN. Why the blazes do you think I would try to beat an Alaskan to the punch when it comes to telling people off for having digs at Alaskans?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

As you acknowledge, I can't read your mind, so I'm unable to answer this.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I think the difference between Palin and many other politicians is that she, like Dan Quayle before her, likes to live her stupidity in public. Politics being the most expensive form of entertainment invented.

Other countries look to the USA for a lot our entertainment, it is America's most visible export. So that's probably why vacuous ignoramuses like them get press around the world. How they get elected is another story, which I don't understand well.

Judging by their politicians I would be tempted to include that Americans are ignorant, xenophobic, greedy bastards. Then I come here on the Ship, and realise there are an awful lot of intelligent, compassionate, friendly and caring individuals out there.

I'm not sure that politicians are ever a good advert for their countries. Regarding British politics (and American, French, German etc) how DO these idiots get elected?

[ 22. May 2014, 12:17: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

I'm not sure that politicians are ever a good advert for their countries. Regarding British politics (and American, French, German etc) how DO these idiots get elected?

Because idiots, just like greedy bastards, deserve representation, and usually get it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Because idiots, just like greedy bastards, deserve representation, and usually get it.
Yes, it's called democracy. It's quite popular.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my! I haven't seen that avatar since the early days of Jeremiah Skunky Goat Cheese of Happy Memory.

I miss that old twit. Do enjoy. It has good antecedents.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"No one ever went broke underestimating public taste" - P T Barnum

and/or money.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Northern Exposure as my Alaskan yard stick.
And I still wanna see the northern lights.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen the southern lights, but they are rarely visible this far north.

I loved Northern Exposure, but it was probably no more reflective of Alaska than Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo or The Magic Boomerang were of Australia.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:

yeah, 'cause Putin would be so much better.
Didn't the US pay Russia something like the cost of a 3-bed semi in South London for Alaska?
[Biased]

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I heard London was expensive!

but we were not - $.02/acre - $7.2 million.

I like to think we've appreciated in value just a bit. [Biased]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that is half the price of a flat in one London development. However, average house prices are under half a million in Greater London.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016