homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards
 
Ship of Fools


Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Just Fuck Yourself, Karl. (Page 2)

 - Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 
 
Source: (consider it) Thread: Just Fuck Yourself, Karl.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oh, and Zach? Well done on seeing how determined I was not to give you a fair hearing. What gave it away? Was it when I said:

quote:
I'd say your sense of outrage is pretty reasonable
?
It was how quick you were to go back to your usual explorations of my character for not finding Karl's apology to really cover what he said to me. It fits your general pattern with me in the last year or so. You or lilBuddha or Karl will say something nasty to me with little provocation, and when I sling it right back in your face it only serves to confirm the initial nasty comment.

I only win if I stop bothering. Lord knows limiting myself to less passionate subjects like gawddamn grammar isn't going to do it. But after over a decade on the ship, it's kind of a habit to log on.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
So I'm glad you wouldn't go around a mortuary spouting your "God kills babies" theology. But I ask you - what use is this theology if in the moments of crisis, when people might ask "where is God in this", your answer is by your own admission as much use as a cheese screwdriver? My position, such as it is, comes not from avoiding these deep theological questions, but agonising over them for decades. Which I still do.

It actually is a great consolation to me, at any rate, that there is Providence in the pain of this life. It makes me feel better to think that my father dropped dead, entirely out of the blue, because an infinitely good God decreed it would be so.

But even if that is true, sometimes it takes a lot of work and pastoral support to get there. The realization of providence is the goal, and not always the balm, for grief.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

 - Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
So I'm glad you wouldn't go around a mortuary spouting your "God kills babies" theology. But I ask you - what use is this theology if in the moments of crisis, when people might ask "where is God in this", your answer is by your own admission as much use as a cheese screwdriver? My position, such as it is, comes not from avoiding these deep theological questions, but agonising over them for decades. Which I still do.

It actually is a great consolation to me, at any rate, that there is Providence in the pain of this life. It makes me feel better to think that my father dropped dead, entirely out of the blue, because an infinitely good God decreed it would be so.

Well bully for you. Meanwhile, I've seen a man destroyed because his father died weeks before retirement, his dreams of a well earned few years shattered, his widow's marbles severely scattered. I really, really don't want to have much to do with the divine providence that ordained that fuck up. I wonder, perhaps, if the bloke who's just been put away for kicking his daughter across the room, rupturing her spleen and killing her, can get some comfort from the thought that God ordained her to die then?

This theology of yours raises more questions than it answers.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

 - Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
No, grieving people don't need to be told "God did it." But what they don't need even less are simplistic attempts to absolve God of any responsibility for his creation with facile excuses from people whose faith is too timid to cope with difficult theological questions.

I think this is completely off the mark and unfair, sorry. Karl's faith is not too timid, yours is. Too timid to step into the uncertainty beyond the cognitive dissonance of trying to hold 'God is love' and 'God directly wills the suffering, abuse and death of babies' in your head at the same time.

Timidly hiding behind the excuse that 'God's ways are above our ways', which ISTM you think lets us off the hook from even trying to reconcile such obvious contradictions.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
So I'm glad you wouldn't go around a mortuary spouting your "God kills babies" theology. But I ask you - what use is this theology if in the moments of crisis, when people might ask "where is God in this", your answer is by your own admission as much use as a cheese screwdriver? My position, such as it is, comes not from avoiding these deep theological questions, but agonising over them for decades. Which I still do.

It actually is a great consolation to me, at any rate, that there is Providence in the pain of this life. It makes me feel better to think that my father dropped dead, entirely out of the blue, because an infinitely good God decreed it would be so.

Well bully for you. Meanwhile, I've seen a man destroyed because his father died weeks before retirement, his dreams of a well earned few years shattered, his widow's marbles severely scattered. I really, really don't want to have much to do with the divine providence that ordained that fuck up. I wonder, perhaps, if the bloke who's just been put away for kicking his daughter across the room, rupturing her spleen and killing her, can get some comfort from the thought that God ordained her to die then?

This theology of yours raises more questions than it answers.

I don't think tragedy needs to be explained with facile theology, and I know grieving people don't need it.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

 - Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's your problem though - your theology's mature and thought out, mine's facile.

But from where I'm sitting, your theology looks facile. Simplistic. Refusing to acknowledge the issues it generates. It's all a matter of perspective.

Your theology is "God does it". Mine is "Shit happens". Why is mine so much more facile than yours?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
No, grieving people don't need to be told "God did it." But what they don't need even less are simplistic attempts to absolve God of any responsibility for his creation with facile excuses from people whose faith is too timid to cope with difficult theological questions.

I think this is completely off the mark and unfair, sorry. Karl's faith is not too timid, yours is. Too timid to step into the uncertainty beyond the cognitive dissonance of trying to hold 'God is love' and 'God directly wills the suffering, abuse and death of babies' in your head at the same time.

Timidly hiding behind the excuse that 'God's ways are above our ways', which ISTM you think lets us off the hook from even trying to reconcile such obvious contradictions.

How does refusing to accept easy answers about God's Providence in light of tragedy involve timidity? That isn't "a step into uncertainty" in any fashion.

Oh well, you are sure to have plenty of people here to tell you how right you are and who wrong and mean I am.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

 - Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! As if any of my answers are easy. They're not. From where I stand, "God did it, but it'll be all right in the end" looks like a trite easy answer. I've seen too many situations where that's obviously bullshit. No, accepting that shit happens and there's no reason for it, except this is a real world and sometimes you roll a 1 on the cosmic d20 is hard - you've said yourself how divine providence in the crap gives you comfort - so how is saying "don't fool yourself - shit sometimes just happens and there's no good comes of it" an easy answer?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oh, and Zach? Well done on seeing how determined I was not to give you a fair hearing. What gave it away? Was it when I said:

quote:
I'd say your sense of outrage is pretty reasonable
?
It was how quick you were to go back to your usual explorations of my character for not finding Karl's apology to really cover what he said to me. It fits your general pattern with me in the last year or so. You or lilBuddha or Karl will say something nasty to me with little provocation, and when I sling it right back in your face it only serves to confirm the initial nasty comment.

I only win if I stop bothering. Lord knows limiting myself to less passionate subjects like gawddamn grammar isn't going to do it. But after over a decade on the ship, it's kind of a habit to log on.

Excellent. So that explains 3 of us. Now you just have to explain all the other people who've turned up in the thread to express their disbelief that you didn't accept the apology.

EDIT: Would you like a list, or can you back and find them all yourself? You haven't shown any indication that you've noticed. All your energy has been spent on the big meanies.

SECOND EDIT: Meanwhile, other posters were noticing signs of the Apocalypse.

[ 18. June 2014, 22:49: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
There's your problem though - your theology's mature and thought out, mine's facile.

But from where I'm sitting, your theology looks facile. Simplistic. Refusing to acknowledge the issues it generates. It's all a matter of perspective.

Your theology is "God does it". Mine is "Shit happens". Why is mine so much more facile than yours?

Yes, the questions in my theology are still difficult and unanswered, just as tragedy will tend to be.

You have your answers. "It happens, God didn't do it!" And SCK is silly enough to call that "uncertainty!"

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

 - Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
How does refusing to accept easy answers about God's Providence in light of tragedy involve timidity?

You said 'The realization of providence is the goal, and not always the balm, for grief'. Which 'easy answers about God's Providence' are you refusing to accept? It seems to me you are saying that essentially we have to suck it up if God's providence seems unfair or unreasonable.

That's timid, IMO - ignoring the cognitive dissonance by saying that we have to just accept God's providence, never mind how baffling and plain unloving it seems.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
How does refusing to accept easy answers about God's Providence in light of tragedy involve timidity?

You said 'The realization of providence is the goal, and not always the balm, for grief'. Which 'easy answers about God's Providence' are you refusing to accept? It seems to me you are saying that essentially we have to suck it up if God's providence seems unfair or unreasonable.

That's timid, IMO - ignoring the cognitive dissonance by saying that we have to just accept God's providence, never mind how baffling and plain unloving it seems.

Jeeze. First I need to "step into uncertainty" and accept Karl's answers, now my answers paint a "baffling" picture of God. Which is it, am I baffling or facile?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oh, and Zach? Well done on seeing how determined I was not to give you a fair hearing. What gave it away? Was it when I said:

quote:
I'd say your sense of outrage is pretty reasonable
?
It was how quick you were to go back to your usual explorations of my character for not finding Karl's apology to really cover what he said to me. It fits your general pattern with me in the last year or so. You or lilBuddha or Karl will say something nasty to me with little provocation, and when I sling it right back in your face it only serves to confirm the initial nasty comment.

I only win if I stop bothering. Lord knows limiting myself to less passionate subjects like gawddamn grammar isn't going to do it. But after over a decade on the ship, it's kind of a habit to log on.

Excellent. So that explains 3 of us. Now you just have to explain all the other people who've turned up in the thread to express their disbelief that you didn't accept the apology.

EDIT: Would you like a list, or can you back and find them all yourself? You haven't shown any indication that you've noticed. All your energy has been spent on the big meanies.

SECOND EDIT: Meanwhile, other posters were noticing signs of the Apocalypse.

I would imagine that it looks like I am overreacting to people who haven't been coping with your hateful shit for months.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

 - Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hold it!

That's fifteen posts in less than one hour.

How the hell do you guys read and comprehend recent posts before posting? I'll tell you how: you don't. Now calm down or I'll close this thread for speeding.

SS/HH

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

 - Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
There's your problem though - your theology's mature and thought out, mine's facile.

But from where I'm sitting, your theology looks facile. Simplistic. Refusing to acknowledge the issues it generates. It's all a matter of perspective.

Your theology is "God does it". Mine is "Shit happens". Why is mine so much more facile than yours?

Yes, the questions in my theology are still difficult and unanswered, just as tragedy will tend to be.

You have your answers. "It happens, God didn't do it!" And SCK is silly enough to call that "uncertainty!"

Oh if only they were final answers. Of course they're not. They force all sorts of explorations. God, as you yourself have pointed out, nevertheless permits these things to occur. Why? He seems to permit everything really; if I go out with a machine gun and start mowing people down in the street, I can be fairly sure that armies of angels won't appear to stop me, or the bullets. God has clearly created a world where what we do is real and has real consequences; as real as if he weren't there, it seems. Why do that? I don't know.

But that's a philosophical question I can wrestle with. I'm not sure where I can go with the question "why did God kill a man of 64, just before his retirement? Did he really hate this man's son and wife so much as to do what he did to them?"

As I've said, it's possible you're right about all this stuff (although I really, really hope not). And if so, then God, and God alone, can change my mental furniture to enable me to accept that. He seems to prefer not to; he seems to prefer to leave in place a sort of spiritual gag reflex to suggestions that he can be a bit of a bastard. There's another question - why does he do that, if he is? Or I suppose that could be the reason - because he's a bit of a bastard sometimes he's enjoying fucking with my emotions and my faith, such as it is. And you yourself have said how weak that is.

And so I'm back, really, to the theology of my brother in law, which is usually expressed as "who knows, eh?". I suppose one thing that separates us is the degree to which you think the answer to that question is "Zach".

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know you don't owe me any favors, Sioni, but it would be nice if you would just close it. I might as well call it quits, and it's not like there is a general lack of opportunity to examine my faults as a person and theologian.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

 - Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I know you don't owe me any favors, Sioni, but it would be nice if you would just close it. I might as well call it quits, and it's not like there is a general lack of opportunity to examine my faults as a person and theologian.

I'm not closing it for that reason. Hellhosts get busted down to Apprentice for being 'nice' to Shipmates, especially callers and callees.

SS/HH

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zach82:
[qb] Oh if only they were final answers. Of course they're not. They force all sorts of explorations. God, as you yourself have pointed out, nevertheless permits these things to occur. Why? He seems to permit everything really; if I go out with a machine gun and start mowing people down in the street, I can be fairly sure that armies of angels won't appear to stop me, or the bullets. God has clearly created a world where what we do is real and has real consequences; as real as if he weren't there, it seems. Why do that? I don't know.

But that's a philosophical question I can wrestle with. I'm not sure where I can go with the question "why did God kill a man of 64, just before his retirement? Did he really hate this man's son and wife so much as to do what he did to them?"

As I've said, it's possible you're right about all this stuff (although I really, really hope not). And if so, then God, and God alone, can change my mental furniture to enable me to accept that. He seems to prefer not to; he seems to prefer to leave in place a sort of spiritual gag reflex to suggestions that he can be a bit of a bastard. There's another question - why does he do that, if he is? Or I suppose that could be the reason - because he's a bit of a bastard sometimes he's enjoying fucking with my emotions and my faith, such as it is. And you yourself have said how weak that is.

And so I'm back, really, to the theology of my brother in law, which is usually expressed as "who knows, eh?". I suppose one thing that separates us is the degree to which you think the answer to that question is "Zach".

Where have I claimed to know why God wills tragedy? I haven't said it and I don't know why God would.

Half our arguments could be avoided if you would stop projecting all the theology you hate on me.

[ 18. June 2014, 23:06: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

 - Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot could be avoided if you'd grasp nuance and the concept of degree rather than all or nothingness.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I would imagine that it looks like I am overreacting to people who haven't been coping with your hateful shit for months.

I'm not the person whose apology you didn't accept.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
A lot could be avoided if you'd grasp nuance and the concept of degree rather than all or nothingness.

So... are you admitting to a degree to which your crap here is predicated on theology that I haven't said and don't believe?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I would imagine that it looks like I am overreacting to people who haven't been coping with your hateful shit for months.

I'm not the person whose apology you didn't accept.
Which of course didn't prevent you from getting personally offended about the whole affair when I didn't.

[ 18. June 2014, 23:32: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

 - Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I would imagine that it looks like I am overreacting to people who haven't been coping with your hateful shit for months.

I'm not the person whose apology you didn't accept.
Which of course didn't prevent you from getting personally offended about the whole affair when I didn't.
Wait. What? You didn't get offended? Then why did you say:

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
On what planet does "Let's hope the ship is rid of you when you get murdered for your theology" constitute "rhetoric?"

Go to hell.

That sure as heck looks like being offended to me. FFS, Zach. Drop the histrionics. Karl crossed a line. You called him on it. He apologized. Let it go, man. Have some class and some grace.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
...are we still talking about German again? <snip> LET IT GO.

Be fair, orfeo. You brought it up; it doesn't make any sense for you to bring something up and then rail against somebody for responding to your bringing it up.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wait. What? You didn't get offended? Then why did you say:
...personally offended when I didn't accept Karl's apology.

And, God help me, I just can't see him as being sincerely apologetic because it's just another instance of how he's been treating me for a while now. He didn't "get a little over rhetorical" with me. He was a fucking jerk to me.

Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

[ 19. June 2014, 01:29: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

 - Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

Then get help.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

Then get help.
Get help for having my feelings hurt when someone lashes out at me for no gawddamn reason, then makes up an elaborate scenario when I follow grieving parents around announcing God's malice to them just to be a pompous shit?

Do you really believe that "just getting a bit over rhetorical?" Really? My God, if that really is what constitutes "overdoing the rhetoric" around here, I really am on the wrong forum.

[ 19. June 2014, 02:05: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

Wait, I misread Karl's quote, then immediately correct the mistake. Well, not immediately. It did take 4 seconds to reread, process and re-post.
And I even said you were right.
Yet, I'm the baddy. Well, orfeo and I.

Hey orfeo, does that make us a team? We shall have to have a clever name. I draw the line at matching clothing, though.
Oh, wait, I forgot Karl, or is he merely a sidekick?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

Wait, I misread Karl's quote, then immediately correct the mistake. Well, not immediately. It did take 4 seconds to reread, process and re-post.
And I even said you were right.
Yet, I'm the baddy. Well, orfeo and I.

Hey orfeo, does that make us a team? We shall have to have a clever name. I draw the line at matching clothing, though.
Oh, wait, I forgot Karl, or is he merely a sidekick?

You apologized to not reading Karl's post very closely. You frankly admitted, without apology, that you couldn't be bothered to read before judging me. Which is quite a pile of shit thing to do, but it's becoming apparent that no one else thinks so.

Of course, I am obviously just a brat for expecting that sincere apologies get to the point of the actual wrong doing instead of weaseling out on lesser offenses.

Edit: wait, just reread your post. You never apologized for not really reading Karl's post closely.

[ 19. June 2014, 02:15: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

 - Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WhooooEEE! What's that smell?

Why, if it isn't a giant metric fuck-tonne of whiny bullshit.

Hi Zach!

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Edit: wait, just reread your post. You never apologized for not really reading Karl's post closely.

You are correct. My apologies Karl.
Oh, wait, you mean apolgise to you.
I called you a child. An characterisation you have proven correct multiple times on this very thread. Not to mention over many of your other posts on this forum.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why the fuck should I care what your judgments are, lilBuddha? You judge me before even looking at the facts of the matters, as you fully admit.
Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

 - Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I really am on the wrong forum.

Not necessarily, but you may be managing Hell incorrectly. It's really not a good place to be communicating seriously about your ongoing hurt feelings. Some better Hell strategies might be to shoot back ("Thanks, Karl, but you're still a cunt*"); to sidestep to another issue (which almost happened with orfeo and the German thing - could have been a good lateral move); to deflect using humour.

This is an unsympathetic locker room. If you continue to complain about your hurt, especially after another player has apologized, you will find the responses... umm... unsatisfactory, and generally along the lines of "Toughen up or shut up."

I have no idea whether this may be helpful to you or not, but it's one way in which I experience this board.

*(not my actual opinion of Karl)

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most humorous thing, Leaf, is that he claims Hell is is favourite board.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The most humorous thing, Leaf, is that he claims Hell is is favourite board.

It used to be a place where actual debate happened, like a decade ago when I posted that.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I draw the line at matching clothing, though.

Dammit.

*Throws away piece of paper with 'The Evil Twins' scrawled on it.*

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

 - Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Maybe that is petulant of me. I can't help it at this point.

Then get help.
Get help for having my feelings hurt when someone lashes out at me for no gawddamn reason, then makes up an elaborate scenario when I follow grieving parents around announcing God's malice to them just to be a pompous shit?
No, get help to not post about it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The most humorous thing, Leaf, is that he claims Hell is is favourite board.

It used to be a place where actual debate happened, like a decade ago when I posted that.
It does still. In fact, the Hell hosts whinge a bit if that is all that is going on. It is that your asbestos nappies appear to be wearing thin.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus Christ, I am so badly off around here that I can't even get people to admit, when it's happening to the like of me, that Karl's behavior was, simply objectively, rather more than "overdoing the rhetoric."

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell has a variety of purposes.

I get bored with all of them quite easily.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Jesus Christ, I am so badly off around here that I can't even get people to admit, when it's happening to the like of me, that Karl's behavior was, simply objectively, rather more than "overdoing the rhetoric."

What was it, then? You haven't said, as far as I can recall. You've only said what it wasn't.

I have to confess to not knowing what definition of 'rhetoric' you're using that takes Karl's remarks outside of it.

Having just grabbed the nearest dictionary, there were a variety of definitions. One of them was "the use of exaggeration or display in speech or writing". That seemed reasonably apt to me (in my biased, unfair state of mind of course).

[ 19. June 2014, 03:18: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
[qb] Jesus Christ, I am so badly off around here that I can't even get people to admit, when it's happening to the like of me, that Karl's behavior was, simply objectively, rather more than "overdoing the rhetoric."

What was it, then? You haven't said, as far as I can recall. You've only said what it wasn't.[QB]
I actually have. Have you not really been reading what's going on too?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

 - Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Have you not really been reading what's going on too?

Oooh! I have! I have!

Histrionics.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Jesus Christ, I am so badly off around here

Have you considered why?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Jesus Christ, I am so badly off around here

Have you considered why?
I have, though it's become really obvious that there is nothing to be done to fix it. As you have gone out of your way to prove, I don't even have to do anything wrong to get the likes of you on my case.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I actually have. Have you not really been reading what's going on too?

I freely confess to not reading every post word for word, and I certainly don't memorise them.

If you're trying to say that "openly wishing for murder" can't possibly fall within the definition of "rhetoric", I simply don't agree with you. A statement can fall into both of those categories at once quite comfortably. It might be extreme rhetoric, but extreme rhetoric is still rhetoric. Ill-advised rhetoric is still rhetoric.

It's speech. In the absence of any evidence that Karl devised a plan for your actual advise, it's exaggerated speech, which is, as I've just mentioned, one of the definitions of 'rhetoric'.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I actually have. Have you not really been reading what's going on too?

I freely confess to not reading every post word for word, and I certainly don't memorise them.

If you're trying to say that "openly wishing for murder" can't possibly fall within the definition of "rhetoric", I simply don't agree with you. A statement can fall into both of those categories at once quite comfortably. It might be extreme rhetoric, but extreme rhetoric is still rhetoric. Ill-advised rhetoric is still rhetoric.

It's speech. In the absence of any evidence that Karl devised a plan for your actual advise, it's exaggerated speech, which is, as I've just mentioned, one of the definitions of 'rhetoric'.

Just to get you up to speed, what I am accusing Karl of is lashing out against me for no good reason, and then going on to make up a ridiculous, profoundly vicious scenario of me following grieving parents around and pushing on them the malice of God.

That is what I call "being a huge jerk," and which I classify as more than rhetoric. Especially since it's come out that it's all been predicated on Karl's personal theological issues and not on what I actually said.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

 - Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*shrug* Dumb and jerkish rhetoric is still rhetoric.

You're welcome to keep pursuing him until he utters the correct adjectives, but I expect you will continue to receive commentary from various Shipmates who are NOT members of the Duopoly of Evil suggesting that you haven't chosen the wisest course.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
As you have gone out of your way to prove, I don't even have to do anything wrong to get the likes of you on my case.

First, I was not on your case. I thought Karl had called you a child. I fixed that in 4(four, IV, ....) seconds and backed off. Until you began simpering. You. You directly invited most of the comments against you on this thread.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

 - Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo, Duopoly of Evil™ I like it!
OK, I am softening on the clothing, we can get matching capes. But they have to be black and incorporate skulls.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

 - Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
As you have gone out of your way to prove, I don't even have to do anything wrong to get the likes of you on my case.

First, I was not on your case. I thought Karl had called you a child. I fixed that in 4(four, IV, ....) seconds and backed off. Until you began simpering. You. You directly invited most of the comments against you on this thread.
It was four minutes, which was enough time for me to cross post you saying only exactly what you did. Which constitutes "simpering?" For the mere sin of accusing you of doing what you now admit to doing, I brought all your indignation on my self?

Jeeze, are you trying to disprove my assertion that this situation is beyond fixing now?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged



Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 
 
Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.5.0

 
follow ship of fools on twitter
buy your ship of fools postcards
sip of fools mugs from your favourite nautical website
 
 
  ship of fools