homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Just Fuck Yourself, Karl. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Just Fuck Yourself, Karl.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
*shrug* Dumb and jerkish rhetoric is still rhetoric.

You're welcome to keep pursuing him until he utters the correct adjectives, but I expect you will continue to receive commentary from various Shipmates who are NOT members of the Duopoly of Evil suggesting that you haven't chosen the wisest course.

I suppose this is a lot better than what you were pitching earlier. I might as well quit when I'm as ahead as I'm going to be.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
It was four minutes,

Oops, you are right. 4 minutes. Point remains, I reread and clarified

quote:

which was enough time for me to cross post you saying only exactly what you did.

Not even close.
This
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Ooops, I read that wrong. Carry on.

=/=

this.
quote:
clearly didn't even fucking read Karl's post.

What institution allowed you to make it to graduate student? Hamburger University?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. At Hamburger University we learned that reading a passage so that you don't understand even the basic gist of what's written is functionally the same as not reading it at all. In that philosophy, I indeed only stated the facts of the matter.
quote:
What institution allowed you to make it to graduate student? Hamburger University?
Your contempt of people who work for a living is duly noted.

[ 19. June 2014, 04:46: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
reading a passage so that you don't understand even the basic gist of what's written is functionally the same as not reading it at all.

No, no it isn't. But whatever.
quote:

quote:
Your contempt of people who work for a living is duly noted.
I have no contempt for people who work for a living. I have no contempt for the the graduates of Hamburger University. I think, in calling their training programme a University, they are denigrating its students. In the same way calling a janitor a facilities engineer does. It implies the actual job is unworthy so a title must obscure it. I've made this point more than once on this website.
In insulting you, I have inadvertently insulted people who do not deserve it. To them, and all working-class people, I apologise.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I might as well quit when I'm as ahead as I'm going to be.

Yes, please do! You will never get any aheader than you are now, and you're getting less and less ahead with every word you post. Time to cut and run.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
No, no it isn't. But whatever.
What is the difference then? You are really stupid enough to think "Hey, I read it, I just didn't bother to read it closely enough to actually understand what was happening before posting!" paints you in such a better light?

You really are giving me an ever more intimate understanding of your judgments.

[ 19. June 2014, 05:11: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

You really are giving me an ever more intimate understanding of your judgments.

You've yet to display an intimate understanding of much of anything. Especially not on this thread. You'd rather pick nits and whine about persecution.
Had I misread and left it at that, you might have a point.
But your inability to see things in context and in other than an extremely narrow, self-centered manner is kinda why there is no one defending you here. Even those who agree you had a point in bringing the OP.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I am feeling more and more gratitude to you, orfeo, for just coming to the point "Karl was a jerk, you'll have to get over it if you don't believe his apology." I really mean that.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You're welcome to keep pursuing him until he utters the correct adjectives, but I expect you will continue to receive commentary from various Shipmates who are NOT members of the Duopoly of Evil suggesting that you haven't chosen the wisest course.

I suppose this is a lot better than what you were pitching earlier. I might as well quit when I'm as ahead as I'm going to be.
What I was pitching earlier was that it was legitimate for you to be outraged by what Karl had said.

You actually started this thread with people on your side. Big, mean people.

This was apparently such an awful state of affairs that you then proceeded to do your utmost to rectify it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I actually have. Have you not really been reading what's going on too?

I freely confess to not reading every post word for word, and I certainly don't memorise them.

If you're trying to say that "openly wishing for murder" can't possibly fall within the definition of "rhetoric", I simply don't agree with you. A statement can fall into both of those categories at once quite comfortably. It might be extreme rhetoric, but extreme rhetoric is still rhetoric. Ill-advised rhetoric is still rhetoric.

It's speech. In the absence of any evidence that Karl devised a plan for your actual advise, it's exaggerated speech, which is, as I've just mentioned, one of the definitions of 'rhetoric'.

Just to get you up to speed, what I am accusing Karl of is lashing out against me for no good reason, and then going on to make up a ridiculous, profoundly vicious scenario of me following grieving parents around and pushing on them the malice of God.

That is what I call "being a huge jerk," and which I classify as more than rhetoric. Especially since it's come out that it's all been predicated on Karl's personal theological issues and not on what I actually said.

No, it's predicated on a statement of yours, which was, "I'm not sure God killing babies for no reason at all (which he quite demonstrably does all the time[) is much better than God killing a baby for a reason."

My bold, but your words.

And I do not believe that you are really so thick as to imagine that I think you follow bereaved parents around spouting your theology. I invited you to do a thought experiment where you did do that, to consider what the end result would be, and what that might tell you about your theology.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
quote:
quote:

What I was pitching earlier was that it was legitimate for you to be outraged by what Karl had said.

This was apparently such an awful state of affairs that you then proceeded to do your utmost to rectify it.

All I did to get you, at least, to turn instantly was to doubt the sincerity of Karl's apology, a thing he himself hasn't been bothered to defend since.

Which, even if there wasn't now plenty of reason to doubt, is such a small thing, I can't really conceive of how it brought down all this. Which, I know, is the entire problem, and why the situation really is beyond fixing.

[ 19. June 2014, 11:16: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I didn't say anything.

Surely one should wait for the really big and really mean before coming to premature conclusions?

Or alternatively, the really saintly and the really unbiased?

I haven't seen evidence for much of either thus far.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So which team are you fielding for today, Evensong?

I notice there hasn't been much of this forgiveness shit Christianity's supposed to go in for.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

What people were "on my side" really? MT said I was right but couldn't say so without a passive aggressive insult about how horrible it is to defend me, and orfeo is pretending that "being a huge jerk for no reason" constitutes "rhetoric," which I flatter myself to think is something personal considering it's for something against me.

[ 19. June 2014, 11:25: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Surely one should wait for the really big and really mean before coming to premature conclusions?

...said the mouse, turning up late to the tiger convention.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
So which team are you fielding for today, Evensong?

Well at the moment Zach is looking like the underdog. So it's my Christian Duty in this context to field for him.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I notice there hasn't been much of this forgiveness shit Christianity's supposed to go in for.

From whose side? Both Zach and Karl are Christians.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

...said the mouse, turning up late to the tiger convention.
The mouse? Never been called that before.

Besides. I'm a Wood Tiger. 1974. You?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All I did to get you, at least, to turn instantly was to doubt the sincerity of Karl's apology, a thing he himself hasn't been bothered to defend since.

All you did was doubt?

No. What you did was outright reject it as loudly and emphatically as you could conceive. You think "Go to hell" is you expressing doubt? In what universe?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
and orfeo is pretending that "being a huge jerk for no reason" constitutes "rhetoric,"

Oh fuck off. You snivelling pathetic weasel. You can barely go a SINGLE POST without twisting someone's words in the most negative light. It is your mission in life to be the put upon, the downtrodden, the wronged party. You fucking love wallowing in misery. I bet you spent your university years writing deep, meaningful poetry about the agony of existence and how oppressed you were by the system.

Go play in traffic and stay there until you really have something to cry about. Whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeee!

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
quote:

All you did was doubt?

No. What you did was outright reject it as loudly and emphatically as you could conceive. You think "Go to hell" is you expressing doubt? In what universe?

Is this some sort of psychological argument? "In what universe does this constitute rhetoric?" vs. "In what universe does telling a person to go to hell express doubt about an apology's sincerity?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot Adam'n'Eve it that this thread has run to three pages....

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
quote:
and orfeo is pretending that "being a huge jerk for no reason" constitutes "rhetoric,"

Oh fuck off. You snivelling pathetic weasel. You can barely go a SINGLE POST without twisting someone's words in the most negative light. It is your mission in life to be the put upon, the downtrodden, the wronged party. You fucking love wallowing in misery. I bet you spent your university years writing deep, meaningful poetry about the agony of existence and how oppressed you were by the system.

Go play in traffic and stay there until you really have something to cry about. Whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhine whinewhiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeee!

Said the guy that almost banned a long time poster for making a joke about his sex life.

[ 19. June 2014, 11:59: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/Hosting

Let's all remember that not posting =/= not hosting.

Hosting/

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Duly noted. As a mere poster, orfeo once threw a multi-page temper tantrum when I called him a heretic, and when I finally did apologize he threw the apology right back in my face. And that comment wasn't even predicated on malice.

As a poster and has a host, orfeo is a gigantic fucking hypocrite. He's the king of outraged offense compared to me.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which, even if there wasn't now plenty of reason to doubt, is such a small thing, I can't really conceive of how it brought down all this. Which, I know, is the entire problem, and why the situation really is beyond fixing.

Why would you doubt Karl's sincerity? He said (to paraphrase) that he hadn't meant the thing you took offence at (namely, wishing you dead), but apologised for giving that impression. And not in a fake "sorry that you took offence" manner, but in a way that acknowledged that the fault for causing the offence was his, because of how his post was worded.

Add to that the fact that Karl is (to put it mildly) not exactly known for being an arsehole, is not generally either aggressive or dishonest, and set out quite plausibly what he did intend his post to convey, and I can't see any fair reason for thinking him insincere.

I can't be the only person who's reading this feeling no hostility to you at all, but who is wishing that you'd step back, take a deep breath, and accept Karl's apology with the same grace with which it was offered.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:

I can't be the only person who's reading this feeling no hostility to you at all, but who is wishing that you'd step back, take a deep breath, and accept Karl's apology with the same grace with which it was offered.

Exactly right.

I am beginning to think you enjoy feeling aggrieved, Zach82.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a poster and has a host, orfeo is a gigantic fucking hypocrite. He's the king of outraged offense compared to me.

(emphasis mine)

Be very careful when making comments about Hosts in their capacity as Hosts, Zach. Attacking them as posters is fine, but when you go out of your way to specify that you're attacking them as Hosts as well then I can't help but glance meaningfully at Commandment 6...

Marvin
Admin

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Duly noted. As a mere poster, orfeo once threw a multi-page temper tantrum when I called him a heretic, and when I finally did apologize he threw the apology right back in my face. And that comment wasn't even predicated on malice.

Hostly bowler on

Zach82:

If you have anything resembling a question about hostly action you take it to the Styx. Your remark about orfeo as a poster is OK but coupling it with his hosting contravenes C6 (look it up).

The Admins have been informed.

Hostly bowler off

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Ninja'd

[Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I am sorry for questioning orfeo's hosting.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Apology accepted.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

orfeo

# 13878

I've got no idea how you think I almost banned someone. I certainly remember the incident. I remember being very angry. But I have absolutely no power to ban anyone.

EDIT: And please note, I'm only talking about it because the thing had precisely nothing to do with me being a Host. I wasn't even being a Host at the time, as I was travelling across North America at the time.

But Hosts never, ever have the power to implement bans.

[ 19. June 2014, 13:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zach,

As someone who doesn't (as far as I recall) have any issues with you or Karl could you just post something to the effect of "Dear Karl, I accept your apology. We are clearly not going to see eye to eye on this whole providence business, so shall we move on?"

Alternatively, you could hang on and hope that someone ends up going to Canossa. But as, has been pointed out, thus far you have hitherto managed to wind up people who, ordinarily, might have supported you and ticked off the hosts and admins. For the love of Mike, bank the apology and move on.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Now see this is more interesting.

Eliab and Gildas are slightly weighted toward the really saintly and really unbiased side.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Zach,

As someone who doesn't (as far as I recall) have any issues with you or Karl could you just post something to the effect of "Dear Karl, I accept your apology. We are clearly not going to see eye to eye on this whole providence business, so shall we move on?"

Alternatively, you could hang on and hope that someone ends up going to Canossa. But as, has been pointed out, thus far you have hitherto managed to wind up people who, ordinarily, might have supported you and ticked off the hosts and admins. For the love of Mike, bank the apology and move on.

[Overused]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had Russ, Oscar the Grouch, Lyda Rose, Eliab, and Gildas suggesting I might be over-reacting I hope I would have to humility to consider the possibility that they might be right. The fact that others whose fairness I trusted less might agree with them would, I hope, not keep me from considering that I might not be acting gracefully.

If I were posting in such a manner that I could get deano and leo to agree on something, I know I would have to lie down.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now see this is more interesting.

Eliab and Gildas are slightly weighted toward the really saintly and really unbiased side.

Unlike Eliab I am probably not unbiased and certainly not saintly. I have, however, made a tit of myself on these boards often enough to recognise when someone else is making the same mistake.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poe's Law.

Fuck me gently with a chainsaw.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I've seen people moved to incandescent anger (and I don't blame them) by suggestions that it's "God's will". I've seen people destroyed by grief, so utterly destroyed that any suggestion that it's "God's will" similarly moves me to incandescent anger.

A close relation to this sort of thought is
quote:
Everything happens for a reason.
which somehow seems give more comfort than the more honest and direct "it's all God's will; all y'all need to just suck it up."

I try to be gentle when I suggest to those transfixed by grief that God is, in fact, outraged by a small child's excruciating pain from, say, leukemia. How could it be otherwise for the all-loving god who desires the restoration of all things.

This God, to whom fully faithful witness is given in the entire Bible, OT & NT, desires with great desire that we participate the divine life. But, when we don't then some seriously bad shit happens. And, that's on us, not on God.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can't say I blame him. If you didn't accept the sincerity of his apology, what could possibly make him believe you'd accept the sincerity of his defense of the sincerity of his apology? Certainly no behavior you've demonstrated on this thread.

quote:
What people were "on my side" really? MT said I was right but couldn't say so without a passive aggressive insult about how horrible it is to defend me,

Jesus you really are a fucking pansy. That was a light-hearted aside about how we usually don't get along so well, to show that I wasn't taking your side in the conflict out of cameraderie but because I really, objectively, thought you had a good case. HAD being the operative word here. My God, man, go see your therapist and leave the ship alone for a while.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly, we have wasted enough time gnawing on the thin amusement to be derived from what Zach pretends to be thinking about the actual words he posted. The time has come to start speculating on what this is all really about.

I suspect that he's had an accident trimming hairs in a sensitive area, and is suffering from a testicular laceration. Which, as it turns out, he is too embarrassed to seek treatment for. And is now subsequently hosting a largish colony of bacterial squatters in his nethers, of an ilk that poisons his testosterone feed. Driving him mad. And more than usually stupid.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ow.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Gammy gonads? That might explain quite a bit...

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Yeah, who can know it.

Murder isn't far from ANY of our hearts.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:

Murder isn't far from ANY of our hearts.

[Eek!] Speak for yourself!

I can't even use mousetraps!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:

Exactly right.

I am beginning to think you enjoy feeling aggrieved, Zach82.

Indeed. He must be positively orgasmic right now. And we keep feeding him with all this attention.
Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

After taking a long drive yesterday I reached the conclusion that I really have been being very silly. Whatever the rhetorical point Karl was trying to make by saying the board would be better off being rid of me, it seems to be a generally shared sentiment, and this has seemed to be the case for a while now. It seemed to be the case long before this thread even happened.

I'm not expecting any sympathy, and even less am I expecting anyone to beg me to stay. I'm honestly not. I just wanted to take my leave on a positive note because this community really has been important to me over the years.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zach82 - from my reading of the situation:

Karl overstated something, and you complained. Nobody had any problems at this point.

Karl apologised - still no problem. Normal Hell thread, thread gets closed. Instead you refused to accept the apology. That's when you got attacked - for not accepting an apology.

I don't see anyone saying you should leave the Ship, just accept an apology.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Geez! ANOTHER flounce! The line taking bets forms to the right.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
After taking a long drive yesterday I reached the conclusion that I really have been being very silly. Whatever the rhetorical point Karl was trying to make by saying the board would be better off being rid of me, it seems to be a generally shared sentiment, and this has seemed to be the case for a while now. It seemed to be the case long before this thread even happened.

I'm not expecting any sympathy, and even less am I expecting anyone to beg me to stay. I'm honestly not. I just wanted to take my leave on a positive note because this community really has been important to me over the years.

If you think that strikes a positive note then you must have a tin ear.

Byeee!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016