homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paintings release redemption: official (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Paintings release redemption: official
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bethel mob are at it again.

Head of Creative Arts at Bethel's Creative Supernatural School of Ministry Theresa Dedmon has produced a painting.

It's quite nice, and some of the other creative stuff looks not entirely horrible. I'm even keen to see more Christian art in general.

But... she affirms the following about that piece:
quote:
This painting releases God's redemption of France. Remembering the incredible legacy of creativity. Once you see it you will see the seeds of renaissance begin again.
Since when did protestants of any stripe believe a few daubs of paint "release redemption"? And of an entire nation? Do any Catholics or Orthodox affirm anything like that?? And just how arrogant is it to assert that about your own piece of art? How can people believe this crap? To the Law and to the testimony!

[Mad]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poppies? They would look fine in my kitchen, but jeez, "God's redemption of France"? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just paintings you know (and do make time to read the comments below the article - yuck!)

Didn't you know that prophetic drumming (other websites are available!) also has the power to "release captives" and break down "strongholds"?

Allegedly ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that painting will indeed achieve its purpose - it will reinforce Theresa's conviction that she is a world-class mover and shaker in the kingdom of God. This is just yet another manifestation of the hyper-charismatic obsession with self. Life is all about them...and how God uses them. That's why there are so many fake interactions with the Holy Spirit, so many made-up manifestations - so many 'spiritual gifts' which are unverifiable. Changing the world through art is just another way that people can maintain the illusion that God is using them....without ever becoming people he could actually use.
Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you're that mediocre an artist you've got to have some hook - most sensible people get told not to give up the day job.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make some religious art, and I hope the Spirit is using my skills for her good purposes. But really, I trust the Godhead to have the Redemption stuff under control without any overweening help from myself.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed it was about the economic renaissance of rural Afghanistan

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. That's where it's tipping into witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I assumed it was about the economic renaissance of rural Afghanistan

Or of North Norfolk.

PS I think Eutychus's post refers back to LydaRose's and not Zappa's!

[ 22. June 2014, 08:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Just to clarify: I have nothing against Afghanistan (although one does wonder just what poppies evoke for most people these days). My reply was directed at Lyda Rose's comment.

[ETA as BT has pointed out. Off to church now, will have to try hard not to mention this when preaching...]

[ 22. June 2014, 08:05: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the way the first link unashamedly states that she majors in psychology and minors in Biblical Studies [Two face]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm planning an interpretative dance for Slovenia, but it's annoying how much that gets in the way of my Piano Concerto for Ecuador.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(a pedant writes:)

Opium poppies are mauvey-purple. Unlike those ones in the picture which are the same colour as bollocks.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think there is a logical reason why the more conservative evangelical world has to apply these spiritual meanings to their art.

It comes from the (misunderstood) puritan idea that art is bad (not least because some artists might live alternative lifestyles).

As they started to be forced to accept the artistic, they needed to find "spiritual" reasons for it - so they made it a spiritual power exercise. Suddenly is was like other acceptable stuff, so they could accept it.

This is, of course, crap. Artists should be able to create because they are expressing the creative in them. End of. Hopefully, if they know about their faith, they know God, then this faith will be expressed in their art. It may serve to inspire others, to help them to engage with God.

Of course, it may also cause them to be vomit. Reaction is important.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'm planning an interpretative dance for Slovenia, but it's annoying how much that gets in the way of my Piano Concerto for Ecuador.

Me, I'm knitting for Uzbekistan.

I've heard some fluff-brained tarradiddle in my time, but the idea that mucking up a bit of paper or canvas affects the religious outlook of a nation is off the wacko-meter.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schroedinger's Cat

That's an interesting point, as modern art became pretty non-religious, although it may be very spiritual. So, possibly some Christians feel uneasy with modern art, and can't connect it with their faith. Everybody quotes Rothko here, for example, the Rothko room at the Tate, quite a reflective space.

[ 22. June 2014, 10:11: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Actually, I think there is a logical reason why the more conservative evangelical world has to apply these spiritual meanings to their art.

It comes from the (misunderstood) puritan idea that art is bad (not least because some artists might live alternative lifestyles).

As they started to be forced to accept the artistic, they needed to find "spiritual" reasons for it - so they made it a spiritual power exercise. Suddenly is was like other acceptable stuff, so they could accept it.

The spiritual reasoning is precisely what the Puritans did not like about art. This would simply be classed by them as idolatry. The reason for avoiding art is precisely because people get these dangerous ideas.

Art is dangerous/potent, not bad, in Puritan thought because it can lead to such superstitious ideas.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Schroedinger's Cat

That's an interesting point, as modern art became pretty non-religious, although it may be very spiritual. So, possibly some Christians feel uneasy with modern art, and can't connect it with their faith. Everybody quotes Rothko here, for example, the Rothko room at the Tate, quite a reflective space.

Is modern art more non-religious than - say - Victorian art? I don't know, but it seems to me that by then the concept or "religious art" had become a thing in itself, a separate genre. I guess unless something is now "religious art" (whatever that now means), it's just art, whether the artist was inspired by any religious concerns or not.

Does the concept of religious art exist at all in eastern European countries? Icon painters don't call themselves artists do they? Maybe "art" has its original meaning there, as in "the best thing I can produce".

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once asked an Orthodox online friend (rather than a real-life one) how the Bethel practice of going to the graves of revivalist luminaries such as Evan Roberts to somehow 'absorb the anointing' and such like hoo-ey differed from the Orthodox and RC practice of venerating relics and sites associated with Saints.

He suggested that it was an issue of attitude and response that was the biggest difference - rather than intention. So, for instance, he sent me a link to You Tube footage of something-or-other (I forget what it was, whether an icon or a relic) arriving in Constantinople and being taken to the Phanar. The Orthodox faithful lined the streets and venerated the object in a dignified way.

They weren't flinging themselves onto it and acting in an 'enthusiastic' way.

Of course, from a Puritan perspective their actions would be just as dangerous as those of the Bethel-ites ... but then the Puritans could be kill-joys couldn't they? [Big Grin]

And yes, yes ... I know that they didn't have hang-ups about sex and Cromwell allowed dancing at his daughter's wedding yadda yadda ...

But I'm still more comfortable with George Herbert's approach in allowing old customs such as Rogationtide processions and so on rather than the Puritan one of tearing these things in a root-and-branch type way.

There are some examples of Puritan art around, of course - in Manchester Art Gallery and plenty of examples in the Metropolitan Museum in New York - some of it has a genuinely moving, home-spun quality about it. It ain't all bad art.

As for this Bethel instance ... it's bad art and it's even worse theology.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:
Schroedinger's Cat

Is modern art more non-religious than - say - Victorian art? I don't know, but it seems to me that by then the concept or "religious art" had become a thing in itself, a separate genre. I guess unless something is now "religious art" (whatever that now means), it's just art, whether the artist was inspired by any religious concerns or not.

Does the concept of religious art exist at all in eastern European countries? Icon painters don't call themselves artists do they? Maybe "art" has its original meaning there, as in "the best thing I can produce".

I suppose traditionally you would say that painting became more secularized in the 18th century. I remember John Berger saying that the bourgeoisie didn't want paintings of God or Christ, but themselves, their wives, kids and dogs! A good example is 'Mr and Mrs Andrews' (Gainsborough), and here you also get a nice shot of their property.

But religious paintings continue to be painted - for example, the Dutch masters, such as Vermeer and de Hoogh, who are famous for their interiors and courtyards, also still did religious subjects.

Also, obviously, the pre-Raphaelites did.

I just meant that 20th century painting became very secular, with obvious exceptions, e.g. Stanley Spencer. I suppose you could argue that it became secular but also numinous? Thus someone like Picasso is very secular, but arguably monumental, numinous and pantheistic.

[ 22. June 2014, 14:10: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite being someone who has thoroughly drunk the spiritual gifts kool-aid, my reaction to this painting is pretty similar to y'all upthread.

However, if only she'd said something like 'I painted this as a prayer for redemption of France and a release of spiritual renaissance', I think I'd have smiled, shrugged and moved on. That approach of praying for whole nations is a bit too grandiose for my taste but hey, each to their own.

But 'This painting releases God's redemption of France' is just so outrageously... presumptuous. It sits very uncomfortably with me.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

In my previous post, it should say that painting became more secularized in the 17th and 18th centuries.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

South Coast Kevin:
quote:
'I painted this as a prayer for redemption of France and a release of spiritual renaissance'
I could get behind this, definitely. Prayer for positive goals is a Good Thing. Hubris, not so much.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
South Coast Kevin:
quote:
'I painted this as a prayer for redemption of France and a release of spiritual renaissance'
I could get behind this, definitely. Prayer for positive goals is a Good Thing. Hubris, not so much.
Absolutely - art as a focus for prayer and spiritual engagement I am all for. Not worship of art, but worship inspired by art.

In response to comments above - I think the problem is with non-religious art, art that challenges and inspires us as people, and the incipient danger in that. The stuff I prefer, in general.

I suspect that many of those who struggle with "art" have much less problem with the sappy, puke-inducing drivel of Thomas Kincade and the like. Personally, I prefer art that impacts my heart, not my stomach.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man. I looked at those so-called prophetic pictures and I am having a really, really hard time holding in the snark.

And prophetic drumming. What scares me is that I can just see these people ten years down the line, when real life has hit them hard, right in the face, and I'm afraid their faith is going to completely vanish. It looks like a delusion to me. They need a strong dose of reality if they're going to develop a Christian faith that will last long term. (wish I could take them round the metro area for a week or two, shadowing a pastor)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prophetic balloon modelling anybody?

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, I agree with that too, South Coast Kevin. I'll get criticised for using this phrase, but it's a paradigmatic case of over-egging the pudding.

As with all these things, the claim could contain a smidgeon of something wholesome - that art is potent and can have something of broadly 'redemptive' effect (not in soteriology terms of course but in terms of transformation of some kind - even if it is only to make us feel better about the world ...).

In this instance, neither the art itself nor the rhetoric lives up to the claims being made.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Schroedinger's Cat

The Rothko Chapel in Houston is a deeply spiritual place but there is nothing exclusively Christian about it.

[ 22. June 2014, 20:34: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Twangist:

You tell me. Is Bethel and prophetic balloon-modelling strictly spiritually incorrect in Newfrontiers these days? Inquiring minds want to know...

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The Bethel mob are at it again.

Head of Creative Arts at Bethel's Creative Supernatural School of Ministry Theresa Dedmon has produced a painting.

It's quite nice, and some of the other creative stuff looks not entirely horrible. I'm even keen to see more Christian art in general.

But... she affirms the following about that piece:
quote:
This painting releases God's redemption of France. Remembering the incredible legacy of creativity. Once you see it you will see the seeds of renaissance begin again.
Since when did protestants of any stripe believe a few daubs of paint "release redemption"? And of an entire nation? Do any Catholics or Orthodox affirm anything like that?? And just how arrogant is it to assert that about your own piece of art? How can people believe this crap? To the Law and to the testimony!

[Mad]

I'm an artist, and I'm struggling to find words to express my seething fury at this "releasing redemption" crap.

Perhaps an absinthe or two might help.

[ 22. June 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Now that Eutychus mentions it, just how influential is Bethel these days?

I've not heard anything about them for a while and that only on these boards.

Are they still a big influence on the wider charismatic evangelical scene?

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm planning an interpretative dance for Slovenia, ...

Just don't do as a priest of another diocese did at their 150th anniversary and do the dance clad in lycra. He was rather overweight and the sight was...odd. And though you, as I recall, are not overweight, and a reasonably fine figure of a man (so my wife says)...no lycra.

But dance on...Slovenia can use all the help it can get.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prophetic art, prophetic dance, prophetic drumming - I think what they are calling "prophetic music" is what anyone else calls "improvised" music played in a religious context (but I might be wrong) --
Looking back on my somewhat mis-spent youth, I do remember the desire to *do something big* and *make a difference* and *change the world*, you know, back before career and mortgage and diapers and retirement savings (and the church needing repairs again).

That's how I see claims to "release the prophetic on France" or claims to "take San Francisco for Jesus" - exuberant youthful desire to affect huge parts of the world for good.

Learning to see and value the effectiveness for good in bringing a meal to a shut-in or teaching a child how to ride a bicycle, takes time to grow some maturity. Nothing wrong with being youthful with world-sized dreams. It's a valid phase, probably healthier to go through a phase of world sized dreams than never learn how to dream at all but just slog dully through life.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The poppies would go nicely on a greeting card for a funeral. A good choice for a deceased 90 year who served in France in WW2. Otherwise the art itself is cliché. We all did pictures like this in grade 5 near Remembrance Day.

The real problem with the response and the context of the art is the sense of elation the artist derives. Where her feelings are more important than the qualities of the painting. It is pure sap and sentiment. I am reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's picture of an asshole, which is actually art, even though Vonnegut probably was expressing emotion when he drew it.

While I'm at it, too full of tea and too full up with the same stories about pigeons told to me for the 4th time, here's a Vonnegut quote to prove I am actually semi-mature:

quote:
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne."
<edit: pecker head suck crap bracket shite>

[ 23. June 2014, 02:57: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this painting proves is that when you think things can't get any worse, someone will come along and show you that there are still greater depths of banality and stupidity to which Christians can go.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
The Rothko Chapel in Houston is a deeply spiritual place but there is nothing exclusively Christian about it.

Not a big Rothko fan, but this I like.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Now that Eutychus mentions it, just how influential is Bethel these days?

I've not heard anything about them for a while and that only on these boards.

Are they still a big influence on the wider charismatic evangelical scene?

Pending an answer from Twangist, New Life Church Tunbridge Wells which is a newfrontiers church, is running a Bethel Sozo course. When people aren't releasing redemption through painting, chances are the most widespread emanation of Bethel in the UK is via these Sozo courses. Not to be confused with Sozo Ministries International [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:

I think I will propose a course of prophetic wanking.

TBH, a lot of this is not that different. Self pleasuring artists.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

I think I will propose a course of prophetic wanking.

TBH, a lot of this is not that different. Self pleasuring artists.

Isn't most art primarily just that?
And is that bad in itself?
You have to be motivated by something. And if others than the (would be) artist her/himself are enjoying it, being inspired by it, being pleasured by it, it's sort of useful, isn't it?

[ 23. June 2014, 08:25: Message edited by: opaWim ]

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

A Sethel Bozo course?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think the difference, Schroedinger's Cat is that most artists, musicians, poets, novelists, playwrights, sculptors, and origami practitioners don't consider their work to have the kind of cosmic significance that is being claimed in this instance.

It's the over-spiritualisation of things again.

I can't remember which thread it was on now but someone provided a helpful link to an account of one of the 19th/early 20th century (?) Anglo-Catholic slum priests who'd installed proper plumbing and sewage systems in the schools he worked with ...

He said something like, 'I'm interested in sewerage because of the Incarnation.'

If this Bethelite really wants to do something positive and of benefit to France then she'd do better getting involved with something that really does make a difference instead of producing sub-standard paintings and making extravagant claims for their spiritual significance.

I don't have any issue with religious art or iconography and so on - but I have plenty of issues with the kind of over-the-top claims made by people like her. They need to come down to earth and stop taking themselves so seriously.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I am reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's picture of an asshole, which is actually art, even though Vonnegut probably was expressing emotion when he drew it.

This turned out to be a lot safer for work than I imagined. I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed.

orfeo
Hellhost (aka Clicker of Links, by Royal Appointment)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I am reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's picture of an asshole, which is actually art, even though Vonnegut probably was expressing emotion when he drew it.

This turned out to be a lot safer for work than I imagined. I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed.

orfeo
Hellhost (aka Clicker of Links, by Royal Appointment)

It was better than the damn poppies, by a couple of orders of magnitude...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just hope she doesn't turn to poetry: "the seeds of renaissance begin again." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Creative Supernatural School of Ministry sounds like a department of Unseen University?)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

That was a typo. She is merely in charge of all things Creative at Hogwarts. I mean the Supernatural School of Ministry (they have at least one in the UK too, you know).

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There can be only ONE!

Pyx_e (adding mad shit to a mad thread)

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:

Not a big Rothko fan, but this I like.
Ooer. First impressions reminded me irresistibly of this ultra-creepy album cover from Led Zep.

[ 23. June 2014, 11:01: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus:
quote:
Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Creative Supernatural School of Ministry sounds like a department of Unseen University?
Sounds like a department of the University of Bums on Seats to me.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son just had a birthday so we had all his new music, movies, and art spread out on the table and noticed how the literature for all of it was interchangeable and a bit more impressive if mixed-up; the music was full of bright colors and the art had intense rhythms, etc.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016