homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Damn you all, con artists! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Damn you all, con artists!
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I got a phone call at home. "Hi I'm xxx. We had a chat after the Easter service, if you remember?" (Nope. It was Easter. I met a lot of people.)

Then I got a sob story, which - summarised - amounted to: "My wife was killed in a hit and run accident last year and I'm bringing up two children by myself. I've been taking a cookery course and have just come back from a placement which only the top people on the course get to go on and then I was offered a really amazing job in the other side of Canada. I've just driven with my kids across Canada but the removal company demanded $300 more than I had budgeted for. As a result, I don't have enough money to pay the deposit on the house I am renting. I need money now or the removal guys will just dump my stuff and go and we won't have anywhere to live as the landlord is showing people around the house tonight. I will pay you back in August, honest."

I explained that I couldn't just send money from the discretionary fund at the church and that equally I couldn't send money from my own account. I agreed to talk to the landlord's wife on the phone, to see if anything could be done.

I phoned the number given to me and got no reply. Seconds later, the phone rang again. It was the landlord's wife (who didn't appear to have noticed that I had just tried to call her). We talked for a bit. She told me how sympathetic she was to xxxx's situation and that she had checked out his job and it seemed very good and that he would be earning lots and so would be in a position to pay me back in a couple of months.

I said - again - that I couldn't send money.

She ended the call.

I waited - as I had agreed with xxxx that he would phone me back 15 minutes after we had called, to find out what was happening.

Surprise, surprise - I waited for 45 minutes and no call came. (As I write this - some two hours later - there still hasn't been a call. Not that I am expecting one.)

I hate myself for getting sucked into this scam attempt and wasting time when deep down I knew it just didn't add up. (Why was he calling me when we had only met - supposedly - once, very briefly? Was it really likely that he would be offered an amazing contract (guaranteed for 7 years) to work for an oil company? Was it really likely that the landlord's wife would go to such lengths to check him out and vouch for him, but would be so determined not to let him have the house without the money?)

And I hate myself for being a heartless bastard who is prepared to turn down someone in deep trouble and make two small children (without a mother) go homeless.

And I will probably hate myself for the next week......

To all con artists out there - I hate you, you bastards. Go burn in hell.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm glad you are only hating yourself for wasting your time and not your money. A ring of fucking assholes duped my father out of $500 by pretending that his granddaughter (they got some young woman to hoarsely sniffle into the phone in roughly my niece's voice) had gotten into trouble in another country and needed money for a lawyer. (He couldn't reach her cellular- and she does travel. Unfortunately, she has a tendency not to answer her phone during her busy times.) Luckily his natural cynicism overrode his natural concern for his granddaughter, and when they tried to milk some more out of him, he balked. She turned out to be safe in California.

So as a matter of fact, you can cheat an honest and kindly man (or woman) out of money they mean for a good purpose.

Assholes! [Mad] Assholes! [Mad] Assholes! [Mad]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my parents were drawn into that one. The sobbing granddaughter in a foreign city, desperately in need of $5000 by wire transfer. My parents fell for it hook line and sinker, and were saved only because the Western Union storefront had closed for the day. So they consulted my sister, a banker who has no flies on her, and my sister sensibly contacted the granddaughter herself. Who was in class at her school in entirely the ordinary way and had not been traveling at all.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I curse them for the way they have entirely colonised the telephone system. The few genuine calls to the home landline are swamped by these fuckmuppets telling you they're calling from Microsoft, or have just sent you £500, or are here to help you with insurance claim, or congratulate you on your lucky win - you don't even know who I am, but you have all this money for me?

Damn the whole begging, wheedling, lying, conniving tribe of you.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was one I read about yesterday targeting christians specifically.

It's alsmost as though they think christians are more gullible than the rest of the general population... [Biased]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
There was one I read about yesterday targeting christians specifically.

It's alsmost as though they think christians are more gullible than the rest of the general population... [Biased]

Yeah, I had one of those while I was flat hunting. First sign of a scam was that the flat was way below market value in the area. Second sign was in the emails the guy was answering questions I hadn't asked, and not answering questions I had asked.

The email finally came asking for the money via western union, and I replied with this link from Gumtree.co.uk outlining common scams.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These days I rarely bother to answer the landline. 4 times out of 5 it's a spammer wanting offering a last chance to fix my credit card balance or a fake survey that assumes I'm a fool who believes Fox News. What's worse is I'm getting calls that if picked up just disconnect. I'm wondering if someone is casing the joint to find a time when I'm not home to rob it.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caller ID, answering machines, and Call Blocking are God's gifts.

If Caller ID displays a number I don't recognize or "Caller Unknown", I let the machine answer. Most calls of this type hang up before my answering message finishes playing. If I get repeat calls of this type from the same numbers, I add them to my Call Blocking list.

I think I have more numbers in Call Blocking than I do in my address book!

If the caller begins to record a message and I recognize who is calling, I pick up.

It is, however, becoming increasingly difficult to separate out legitimate calls from cleverly worded scam calls.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
What's worse is I'm getting calls that if picked up just disconnect. I'm wondering if someone is casing the joint to find a time when I'm not home to rob it.

This is an irritating nuisance, but it's probably harmless. One of my daughters had a summer job making cold calls for polling purposes.

The dialing was done automatically, and if she was busy talking to someone on another line, the automatic dialer hung up when someone answered.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the same problem with the landline - I would give up on it altogether, but the broadband is bundled with it, so that's not an option...

I fantasise about having an answerphone message that says something like: 'You have reached name and name's answerphone. We may very well be at home, but we don't answer the phone anymore, because we're so sick of being asked if we would like a free house valuation, or to sign up to pay tv, or a quote for new guttering, that we just stopped bothering. We figure if you're someone we actually want to hear from, you'll have our cellphone numbers - so text or call us on them. If you're feeling optimistic, by all means leave a message, then we can contact you on the squillion-to-one chance that we're actually going to want to do that...'

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to report that an unsolicited phone call to my land line is taken by me as an invitation to improv theater.
If it is a robo-call, a taped sales or political pitch, I will lay the receiver gently down on the counter, so that they can pitch it to the formica. You waste my time, I waste yours.
If it is a human being and I am in a hurry, it is very effective to simply ask in a flat businesslike tone, "Do you want to have sex?" Any response can be met with, "What are you wearing?" The call always ends briskly and they do not call back.
It is always effective to scream, loudly, "This is a house of mourning!" Again they do go away, but I try not to do this when family members are asleep.
I did once persuade a vitamin salesman to talk to me for twenty minutes, never agreeing to buy a vitamin. But my greatest success was when a political party called to inform me that the dread Obamacare was going to give poor people health care and something must be done. I exclaimed, "Oh, what a grand idea! I am so thrilled you suggest it, and I will tell everyone in my circle that it ought to be the law of the land!" The goal being to send them away weeping.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
I have the same problem with the landline - I would give up on it altogether, but the broadband is bundled with it, so that's not an option...

We had this for years. We solved it by not attaching a phone to the wall.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what's kind of sweet, though? All these grandfathers who, in spite of seeing their granddaughters so rarely they don't know what country they're in, are ready and willing to send them a substantial amount of money at the first sound of tears. [Axe murder]
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A slightly different approach is called for in different countries, but here in the UK an answering machine with CLI (caller i.d.) and opting into the Telephone Preference Service does the business. No scammer has ever wanted to leave a message on the answering machine, and no incoming calls where caller number has been withheld ever get answered personally.

There is a particular breed of con artist which deserves to be specially damned. They prey on old people and try to get them to "invest" in worthless or mostly non-existent assets such as fine wines, carbon credits, coloured diamonds etc. That somebody can rest easy after conning some poor old soul out of their life savings they were keeping for their retirement beggars belief.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
A slightly different approach is called for in different countries, but here in the UK an answering machine with CLI (caller i.d.) and opting into the Telephone Preference Service does the business.

Doesn't stop you getting calls from overseas and recorded messages on the answering machine. They can't stop those - only UK-based ones.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the scammers are actually overseas but they never bother leaving any messages. You are right about the pre-recorded ones, but they have tailed off to zero now. The last one was last year.

Scammers buy "sucker lists" on the dark web - the general idea is to keep off them (and hopefully get onto any "complete waste of time" lists that may exist). We used to get vastly more unwanted calls, but since adopting this strategy for several years the problem has nearly vanished. You've got to be pretty disciplined in not answering the phone though.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have now taken steps to reduce the chances of getting hassled again. I've gone online to my phone company and changed my settings, so that I will no longer get calls from people who have withheld their number. The only calls I get like that are scams and their ilk.

I also have a Cunning Plan (suggested by a friend) on what to do if another call does get through. [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Have now taken steps to reduce the chances of getting hassled again. I've gone online to my phone company and changed my settings, so that I will no longer get calls from people who have withheld their number. The only calls I get like that are scams and their ilk.

I wish I could do that, but one family member calls from a withheld number (which is not the same as ex-directory, and I have no idea why they have it). Mind you, yesterday BT also called me three time from a withheld number (twice I didn't answer, then they emailed and so I answered the third one), and the idea of messing with them using their own system definitely appeals.

We have found that never answering a call from a spammer does reduce the number you get eventually - apparently you may get crossed off the list if you don't answer, but not if you answer and then hang up.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a family competition to see how long we can tie up a spam call; hence we quite like getting them, just to up our chances of getting a winner.

The least effort is to say that as their call sounds so important you are going to fetch a paper and pen and just leave the phone off the hook. That's effortless, but not a winning strategy; when we check the phone 20 mins later they've always given up.

My son and I did a tag-team thing with "Microsoft" once and kept them on the phone for over half a hour.

My favourite, though not a winning strategy as they hang up PDQ, are the PPI ones, where they tell you you are entitled to a refund of PPI on your credit card / mortgage whatever. I say that I don't have a credit card / mortgage, and that if they have evidence I do, that I must have been the victim of identity theft. I thank them effusively for bringing this to my attention. I then ask for their full details as I'll need them to report the identity theft to the police. Then they hang up.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to be firm but polite with legit telesales people who are selling a real product rather than trying to defraud anyone. They're not going to sell me anything but I don't want to make them miserable. It's annoying that they call, but it's an incredibly shit job that people only tend to take when they have no other options and need to eat. Ditto charity collectors. I might take issue with the organisations that use these very aggressive marketing strategies, but the person on the other end of the phone? Almost certainly having a worse day than me.

It goes without saying that I don't apply this rationale with con artists btw. Do whatever you like to annoy those guys.

Incidentally, for the very few people who are really good at the job, it can pay very well. My best friend who has a magnificent talent for being able to sell anything to anyone took a telesales job out of the aforementioned desperation, and got a very good income from commissions. Like people who make money from pyramid schemes, though, she's the exception.

[ 03. July 2014, 09:53: Message edited by: Liopleurodon ]

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not nasty to tele-sales people, just to people who have phoned me up and are clearly lying to me (i.e. they have information about my mortgage / credit card and know that I'm entitled to a PPI refund, or the infamous Microsoft scammers).
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to think of the human at the other end of the phone. How did they come to have such a job? Some people do it just to pay the bills while they look elsewhere. The only scumbags are those who ended up in a call centre because they couldn't hack it as a recruitment consultant or estate agent.

The question that usually flummoxes them is, "Can you remind me, when did I give you my number?"

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My happiest day was when I got a call from a political campaign, the same one my son was working for. I was able to hand him the phone and say, "It's for you!" He recognized the caller immediately and they had a nice chat about how the campaign was going.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kurt Danziger described in his book Interpersonal Communication about how he responded to a call. Which at the time was along the lines of accusing the person of being communist, discussing security clearance and taking complete control of the conversation.

An updated version would be to answer "have you been cleared by NSA? How do I know you're not fronting for a terrorist organization? What is the reference code your security clearance?"

Danziger indicated that you seldom need the 3rd question for bad guys and that your friends will think you amusing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A good primal scream is also effective. Hold the receiver quite close to your mouth.

I am mildly, faintly, sorry for the miserable wretches who have to do this work. However, I am far more sorry for myself, with my time wasted by these things.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well today at Costco, among the bales of loo roll and pallets of tinned tomato, we bought a new phone which promises the facility to block withheld numbers.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We tend to ignore withheld calls. The only trouble with systems that don't even let them through to ring is that hospital, dr surgeries etc tend to have withheld numbers, so if they need to call about appointments, test results or to reply to your message, it means they can't.

My dad was complaining his dr hadn't called him back, when he called them again he was told they had tried but his phone wouldn't accept the call.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost never answer the phone. I have an answering machine, and the first few words of a message are enough to tell me whether to delete it without hearing the end.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I also have a Cunning Plan (suggested by a friend) on what to do if another call does get through. [Devil]

Overseas scams, in your case. Canada has the National Do-Not-Call list, which shut down most legitimate telemarketing. I haven't received an unsolicited genuine marketing call in years now.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankfully the "free trip to the Bahamas" recording has stopped.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
I try to think of the human at the other end of the phone. How did they come to have such a job? Some people do it just to pay the bills while they look elsewhere. The only scumbags are those who ended up in a call centre because they couldn't hack it as a recruitment consultant or estate agent.

No, the scumbags are the ones who are deliberately trying to defraud you, knowing full well that what they are doing is illegal.

You're right, I should try to think of the human at the other end of the phone. I should picture them in a prison uniform, and then describe it to them.

[ 03. July 2014, 23:57: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best phone scam story was when a boiler room stock scam phoned the home of the chair of the New Brunswick Securities Commission. Of course he picked up, and played along.

Then he busted them. [Devil] [Killing me]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there’s a difference between a scam or a marketing call.

A person who is knowingly, actively trying to defraud you is not the same as some poor bugger working a sucky call centre cold-calling job because they couldn’t find anything else and they needed to pay the rent. The former are fair game for all the tactics above, ISTM, but not the latter. A polite “no thanks” is enough for them. It’s not their fault. It’s kinder to put the phone down quickly, because it lets them get onto the next call, with someone who might actually want what they’re selling.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an area of hazy ground in the middle where a company pretends they are conducting market research but really intends to sell you something. They do this so that they can phone people who are registered with the Telephone Preference Service, which puzzles me - surely they can see that people registered with the TPS are not likely to respond well to such calls? [Confused]

Of course it does mean that they can use the phone book rather than paying for the edited version they should be using, or use an algorithm for generating numbers without checking them. [Roll Eyes] I suppose I've just answered my own question.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, I'm ashamed to say I got duped by a charming stranger from England who told me this sob story about having missed his flight and he didn't have enough money to get home to his adorable baby boy (he even showed me a picture of said adorable baby boy--it was fake, I found out later) and the British consulate in Seattle couldn't help him out and he was stranded and he really needed to get back home to his adorable baby boy...what a sucker I was! Luckily, I only gave him $60, some other lovely but equally gullible folks in Seattle gave him much more. This dude had given me a phony address and telephone number and when I called it, a poor bewildered old English gentleman explained that his name, address, and telephone number were being used fraudulently. This old man had been getting calls from all across the United States for several weeks...

Anyway, boy, did I feel stupid and used. Bastard! I hope karma got the little swindler. I hope he got robbed of every cent.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A good primal scream is also effective. Hold the receiver quite close to your mouth.

I am mildly, faintly, sorry for the miserable wretches who have to do this work. However, I am far more sorry for myself, with my time wasted by these things.

Invest in an air horn. Hahahaha...can you imagine? An air horn!! Evil but effective!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Apologies about including my sad tale of being scammed. It didn't take place over the telephone but at the now-defunct Borders bookstore in downtown Seattle in 1997 or thereabouts.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Sorry to hear that, The5thMary. Con artists can be amazingly plausible.

Too late for you now, but it may be worth people knowing how financial rescue abroad actually works so you can be sure these lowlife can be disbelieved. (The procedure below is for UK citizens, but I imagine all countries have a similar scheme, which may vary in exact detail).

1. Indigent tourist visits consulate.

2. Consulate phones relative or friend explaining problem.

3. Relative/friend withdraws cash and goes to nearest police station with details of person/consulate involved.

4. Police station phones consulate to confirm arrival of money.

5. Consulate releases money to stranded person (less a small fee).

I once had to bail out my mother who got stuck in Prague without any Czech money. They were very helpful.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

BT6500 handset now installed, and configured to block Number Withheld and International calls - but one got through this afternoon.

Anyone with experience of this phone (which the box says is widely popular)? Does it need a few moments to identify the call? Or is there some other setting we've missed?

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Firenze - do you have "caller display" activated? If you are with BT, most combined packages come with this, but if you are on one that doesn't or a different provider you may need to ask them to activate it.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

We would need to speak to our provider - Virgin - for that. Does call blocking not work without it? It doesn't mention that in the manual.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

No, it won't work without that I'm afraid.

The number calling (or caller withheld equivalent) is sent as a data stream right at the very start of the call. It's how your handset knows what to do with the incoming call.

(We have handsets that display the incoming caller number and display it so we can manually decide whether to answer or screen the call by waiting for the answering system to kick in after x rings - which is how we do it. You have basically bought a system that does that for you.)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I will no longer get calls from people who have withheld their number ... [Devil]

That might not work if you have anyone abroad whose calls you do want to take. My dad has BT's "1571" answering service, and if he misses a call from me (in Canada) it comes up as a "withheld number", which it isn't.

Then again, he's 89 and easily confused, so there could be another explanation.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
That might not work if you have anyone abroad whose calls you do want to take. My dad has BT's "1571" answering service, and if he misses a call from me (in Canada) it comes up as a "withheld number", which it isn't.

Probably not. We've had calls from Canada come up as 'International' or 'Withheld'. I'm sure there's some logic in there somewhere (it's an automated system, there must be some) but I certainly can't figure it out.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... I will no longer get calls from people who have withheld their number ... [Devil]

But if someone I know IS trying to call me from abroad, I am pretty sure that they will let me know (by other means) if they get blocked!

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

The story (in the UK) is that calls from abroad have been coming through with the originating number stripped out (although they are still tagged as International rather than UK number withheld calls). The explanation has been that there was no international agreement between telecoms providers on how to deal with genuinely withheld numbers (which may actually be an action required for non-nefarious purposes, or so it is said).

However, for some months now all international calls have been coming through with their numbers. Or rather a number. Presumably these people are fairly adept at faking that sort of thing. So either BT has changed its tune, or an agreement has been struck.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Caller ID now arranged (and in fairness to Virgin, very promptly too). Will now be watching to see if the level of nuisance calls - currently at about 20 a week - drops off.
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Gwai's solution for the land line. Paying £11 a month for it is part of the BT broadband package, but I simply didn't bother plugging a handset and into the wall (until my broadband kept dropping, and I had to call the helpline in Calcutta on a number that was not free from the mobile).

But now I get spam or scam calls on my mobile almost daily, so I don't answer "Unknown number" on the mobile either. And that means I do miss calls that have come through switchboards, and that means I have to listen to voice mail, which is NOT free as part of my Vodafone package.

So I am with you in consigning all these bastidges to hell. [Devil]

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am sorry to report that an unsolicited phone call to my land line is taken by me as an invitation to improv theater.

If it is a human being and I am in a hurry, it is very effective to simply ask in a flat businesslike tone, "Do you want to have sex?" Any response can be met with, "What are you wearing?" The call always ends briskly and they do not call back.

I suppose some of us do still receive unsolicited calls which are perfectly reasonable? Still, tempted to give your suggestions a try the next time some unknown-to-me cleric 'phones to ask if I can offer holiday cover....

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of ours in England has a good reply for unsolicited phone calls:

I'm afraid His Lordship is unavailable at the moment. This is Jenkins, the butler - may I take a message?

[Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016