homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » O Great Teacher (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: O Great Teacher
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David, if you don't stop trying to spread peace and nice all over the boards I'm going to have to give you a damn good thrashing.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
David, if you don't stop trying to spread peace and nice all over the boards I'm going to have to give you a damn good thrashing.

Woof.

Heh, threaten me with a good time...

yes, folks, he's back

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I wound up giving up the last word and going to the zoo.

looks around, scratches head
I thought this was the zoo

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
As far as arrogance goes, the dictionary (OED on my Mac) explains "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities." The problem there is of course the word "exaggerated". I think I have a fairly accurate sense of my own importance and abilities.

[Killing me]

Meta-arrogance! Precious!

quote:
I guess I need to be a bit of an "asshole" to keep myself going. I'm OK with that, I really am. If you are not, then I guess you need to call me to Hell. Apparently that keeps you going.

You have even less insight into what keeps me going than you do into your own arrogance.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
There's a basic difference between membership of the group of people who praise the Aryan race and the group of people they perceive to BE the Aryan race. One is a subset of the other.

Actually, I think neither is a subset of the other. There were plenty of people who the Nazis would have viewed as belonging to the master race who were utterly opposed to the Nazi racist ideology.
[brick wall] Which. Is. Exactly. What. I'm. Saying.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I wound up giving up the last word and going to the zoo.

looks around, scratches head
I thought this was the zoo

Exactly. I wanted my outsides to match my insides.

Chast, you are such a freaking blast of fresh air. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by opaWim:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
IngoB is not a bully.....

You are quite right, I stand corrected.
Sorry, I got up on a soapbox and mounted a hobby horse. I should have noted that while my rant was prompted by your post, it's the recent proliferation of accusations of bullying that fueled it. Politicians have taken to accusing each other of bullying, evidence of stupidity that would make me laugh if they weren't people making important decisions.

IngoB is, as he notes, an asshole. I have to say, though, that as infuriating as he can be, I think the Ship would be a poorer place without him. And given that what he posts and how he posts are known quantities, I think people should ask themselves if they want to deal with him or not before they engage with him in discussion, or if they want to just enjoy rolling their eyes and saying to themselves, "There he goes again!"

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This post, from the Priestesses & Bishopesses thread in Styx, caught my eye and tickled my funnybone, for its application to the Guest of Honour of this thread. In the context of calling the Archbishop of Canterbury the Archbishop of Canterbury even if you think he's not a "real" bishop:

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
If the Vatican doesn't think that common courtesy undermines their theological position, I think that the rest of us can safely err on the side of politeness.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think people should ask themselves if they want to deal with him or not before they engage with him in discussion, or if they want to just enjoy rolling their eyes and saying to themselves, "There he goes again!"

Wise words [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
[Killing me] Meta-arrogance! Precious!

See, that's exactly what I mean. You insist that I deal with your "point". I spend more than half an hour of my life to type up a response that is as honest and open as I can make it. What do I get for my efforts? This.

So tell me again, what's the point of answering your points? I'm not requiring you to agree with me. I'm not expecting you to like me. But if you are just looking for something to stomp on then why should I work hard to provide it? You talk about "courtesy", but you offer none. And no, this is not just about you. Neither is it just about Hell. To me this frankly is just more of the same old SoF grind, if perhaps somewhat more obvious than usual because it is from you in Hell.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if mousethief can get IngoB to the level of meta-meta-arrogance. $ 10 to the Organ Fund says he can.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I spend more than half an hour of my life to type up a response that is as honest and open as I can make it. What do I get for my efforts? This.

How precious, considering you didn't answer my point. You poor, poor dear.

quote:
So tell me again, what's the point of answering your points?
How would you know? You never do. You haven't answered this point. You answered what you think it was, but you will not take correction when you do that, you won't try to understand when people tell you that you haven't answered their points, because you edit your own work and are 100% certain you get everything right. How can you be so smart and so clueless? Clearly a miraculous work of God.

Why do I hound you in Hell? Because I have this curious (and I'm finally realizing, totally unrealistic) idea that you are smart enough to realize that you have missed the point, and that perhaps if I explain it again, in a different manner, you might get it. Sadly it never works. The arrogance shield is impenetrable.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I wonder if mousethief can get IngoB to the level of meta-meta-arrogance. $ 10 to the Organ Fund says he can.

You're so sweet. I don't deserve you.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IngoB is, as he notes, an asshole. I have to say, though, that as infuriating as he can be, I think the Ship would be a poorer place without him.

All he's been doing for the past month or so is proving that he is very interested in investing a lot of time and energy to the growth of the Ship's community-- both via his recent suggestions, and via his roleplaying commitment. I guess I have a choice of deciding which is more important-- the fact that he and I will never, ever ,ever agree about women's ordination, or the fact that there are now a couple arenas in which I can put all that aside and play with him.

Guess which I prefer.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How precious, considering you didn't answer my point.

I did answer your points. You seem to confuse "answers" with "answers I would like to hear".

quote:
You answered what you think it was, but you will not take correction when you do that

Or in other words, you are not looking for answers, you are looking for repentance. Well, I'm by and large comfortable with who I am on SoF. I'll tweak this or that, but Hell calls are of no particular significance to that. Sorry.

quote:
Why do I hound you in Hell?

Because you are a mean-spirited man.

You can probably compile an entire book of things I should work on. But I have only that one for you.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW we miss you in the rpg

(And I expect at least one sonnet from you on 8D, possibly on filoque.)

[ 24. July 2014, 18:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
How precious, considering you didn't answer my point.

I did answer your points. You seem to confuse "answers" with "answers I would like to hear".
Nope. No matter how many times you say this, it doesn't become true.

quote:
quote:
You answered what you think it was, but you will not take correction when you do that

Or in other words, you are not looking for answers, you are looking for repentance.
No. Awareness.

quote:
Well, I'm by and large comfortable with who I am on SoF.
So you're content with being either a liar or a person who intentionally twists others' words. Noted.

quote:
quote:
Why do I hound you in Hell?

Because you are a mean-spirited man.
Once again you arrogantly substitute your own reality for what others tell you is their reality. Proving my point. Thanks.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by mousethief:
Once again you arrogantly substitute your own reality for what others tell you is their reality. Proving my point. Thanks.

Pot meet kettle.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
FWIW we miss you in the rpg

Thanks. It's particularly nice to hear that from you, I was rather afraid that you would take my exit more personally. Very graceful of you, if I may say so.

quote:

I don't know about that one... I'm an expert at solving ODEs, not at composing odes.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you might find an intricate form appealing, you have a love of structured thought, perhaps try a villanelle - its almost a formula.

[ 24. July 2014, 21:23: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That's hardcore. [Overused]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh, I always saw Ingo as a master of John Donnesque epigrams.

Me? I'm dried, dessicated, and pseudointellectual enough to want to try a pantoum.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Me? I'm dried, dessicated, and pseudointellectual enough to want to try a pantoum.

Off you go and start the pantoum thread - or possibly that should be skein.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

I don't know about that one... I'm an expert at solving ODEs, not at composing odes.
Srsly. I would love every regular poster on the Ship to find and attempt one verse form. It would be like those FB quizzes - 'Which Pizza Topping Are You' - but with a little bit more intellectual heft, obviously.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like bingo. I like the way he annoys mousethief most of all. I mean, how can you not like someone like that?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tempting fate here but while IngoB has incorporated thousands of quotes in his posts I can't recall any dud UBB code.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016