homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Commonwealth Games (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Commonwealth Games
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Interested to note that according to Commonwealth Games medal ceremonies, Jerusalem is the English national anthem.

I think they tried Land of Hope and Glory. It never sounded right to me (difficult to jump straight into the chorus with the build up). I think this is probably a better choice.
I wish we had something other than "Flower of Scotland" but none of the alternatives are so easy to sing as a single chorus. (Except "Scots Wha Hae" which is even more martial than "Flower of Scotland.")
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I probably wouldn't have ever known these games were being held if shamwari hadn't given them this free publicity.

Bet you're grateful [Biased] . Other people change channels, but shamwari keeps watching so they've got something to complain about!!!!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rose of Allendale would be fairly fab.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Fact is that millions of £££s have been spent on a 2nd Division contest and that justifies the hyberbole

There can be a knock-on effect: IOC officials were present at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 and were impressed at what they saw. Three years later, Britain put in a bid for the Olympic Games and won. These two things weren't a co-incidence.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as we've come back around to this, I found this earlier: a series of photographs showing the before and after effects of the Olympics on Stratford. They are from last year so there's this series to show what it looks like now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish the bloody english BBC announcers would bother to try to pronounce Glasgow properly. Hearing them drone "glaaaahhhhhhssgeeeooooooww" or "STRATHclyaaayyyde" is irritating. Would it really kill them to try to give the place enough respect to make the small effort to pronounce its name properly?
Other english people manage, even southerners.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Fact is that millions of £££s have been spent on a 2nd Division contest and that justifies the hyberbole

There can be a knock-on effect: IOC officials were present at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 and were impressed at what they saw. Three years later, Britain put in a bid for the Olympic Games and won. These two things weren't a co-incidence.
IIRC shamwari was pissed off about the London Olympics too.

shamwari is mourning his lost sporting youth. Maybe he was the kid who never got picked.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't difficult to avoid these things you know? I mean I managed to not watch all of the Olympics in China and again in London.

That sort of running about and throwing and stuff bores me. If it isn't football, golf or cricket then I'll find something else to do. What is hard about that?

Between this thread and the constant whining about bingo, I have to say the standard of Hell threads recently is very poor. Still, we are in the silly season, so I guess the next Hell call will be about how some people don't like skateboarding rabbits.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I guess the next Hell call will be about how some people don't like skateboarding rabbits.

Noooo! Skateboarding bunnies are cuuuute. Specially when they do those back flips.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite liked watching the Olympics on the telly, and as I type the Commonwealth Netball is burbling away in the background, but I do object to the amount of money spent on them - and there seems precious little evidence that the London money spent has actually done anything particularly good. If the areas need regeneration, why does there need to be a massively expensive international sports-day to make the government spend the money? surely they'd spend less if they just did the work rather than forking out all the extra stuff as well. Are we really such children that things only get funding if there's a media circus and a big shiny event, and not just because it'll make people's lives better?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that regeneration is the main reason that countries want to host big events such as the Olympics, World Cup, etc. This is added on as a kind of sweetener, but it can backfire, as in Brazil, where there has been considerable anger at large sums being spent on the World Cup, when millions of people live in poverty.

So I don't think people think, 'oh, Glasgow could do with a bit of regeneration, what possible event could we hold here?'.

As to why places want to host big events, I suppose there are many reasons, prestige, tourism, patriotism, and of course, an authentic love of sport must come somewhere on the list!

I live in London, and I thought the Olympics were an absolute blast, but not because Stratford has had a makeover. Similarly, I am enjoying the Scottish flavour of the Commonwealth Games.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I don't think that regeneration is the main reason that countries want to host big events such as the Olympics, World Cup, etc.

Exactly - it's to give an excuse for spending millions/billions on something unnecessary.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
quote:
I don't think that regeneration is the main reason that countries want to host big events such as the Olympics, World Cup, etc.

Exactly - it's to give an excuse for spending millions/billions on something unnecessary.
I agree! We need the money for the Trident upgrade.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And if you know anything about defence procurement, you'll know the cost of a Commonwealth Game or two would hardly buy even one obsolete-before-it-even-goes-into-service boat or plane.

At least with Olympics etc you see what you're getting for your money.

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

And if you know anything about defence procurement, you'll know the cost of a Commonwealth Game or two would hardly buy even one obsolete-before-it-even-goes-into-service boat or plane.

At least with Olympics etc you see what you're getting for your money.

Yes but it's like Tesco... every little helps.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's worth every penny just to see the Scottie dogs, with national labels on them. Cute, cute, cute!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

If only they'd been on skateboards....
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

Gold medal for quote-mining there. It's not 'exactly' at all, as I go on in the rest of the post, which you generously omit, to give some other reasons.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:
quote:

Gold medal for quote-mining there. It's not 'exactly' at all, as I go on in the rest of the post, which you generously omit, to give some other reasons.
I omitted it to keep it succinct, but if you insist

quote:
This is added on as a kind of sweetener,

Yes, as an excuse to spend millions/billions on something unnecessary.

quote:
but it can backfire, as in Brazil, where there has been considerable anger at large sums being spent on the World Cup, when millions of people live in poverty.

Yes, because they used the excuse of it somehow benefiting people as an excuse to spend millions/billions on something unnecessary.

quote:

So I don't think people think, 'oh, Glasgow could do with a bit of regeneration, what possible event could we hold here?'.

No, but they look for an excuse as to why they're spending millions/billions on something unnecessary.

quote:

As to why places want to host big events, I suppose there are many reasons, prestige, tourism, patriotism, and of course, an authentic love of sport must come somewhere on the list!

It's a mystery to me why there's such a desire to spend so much money on something unnecessary, but I guess all of the above, and the regeneration things help the bid to win, and give an excuse for spending millions/billions on something unnecessary.

quote:

I live in London, and I thought the Olympics were an absolute blast, but not because Stratford has had a makeover. Similarly, I am enjoying the Scottish flavour of the Commonwealth Games.

I live in London, but I'm Scottish, mostly Glaswegian. I thought the Olympics were a waste of a lot of money. I've not noticed any particularly Scottish flavour to the Commonwealth Games, but then I missed the Opening Ceremony because I was working lates that day.
The sport is all very nice, but it's a lot of money to spend on something unnecessary, and the whole "but it's for regeneration" schtick seems mostly to be a way of making an excuse for this.
I get it if nobody wanted to host it and it had to be dumped on a different nation each time in order for the events to happen, but lots of places want it. If the UK is meant to be 'doing austerity', why spend all the money.

Well, I see now that my post would have been so different if I'd quoted all of yours in the first place. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

luvanddaisies

I just thought your 'Exactly' was fucking bizarre, as you then came to a conclusion, almost exactly opposite to the one which I had come to, which, as I said, you kindly omitted.

Anyway, I realize that it's the internet, where the normal courtesies are dumped in a deep black hole.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Purgatory's upstairs, I'll do courtesy there. This one says "Hell" at the top.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Purgatory's upstairs, I'll do courtesy there. This one says "Hell" at the top.

I think misrepresentation is sort of covered on all threads as a kind of yahoo-ish baboonish trick.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... I wish we had something other than "Flower of Scotland" ...

We do. It's called Scotland the Brave and even when it's played on bagpipes, which I really don't like, it brings a lump to my throat. I've often thought that we'd do better in the rugby if they played it instead of that ghastly old dirge.

Just my 2p.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, it seems the BBC is having a holiday. It has decided that all they are going to show is spotty Welsh swimmers while the all bog of to their villas in Bordeaux for few days. Insane.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched about 10 mins of the CG's last evening . Happened to be the women's Judo where the English lass got the better of the Aussie .
Kinda did it for me , don't know why .

Heard a rumour last night that the entire welsh team have been banned for taking summin , not sure if it's true [Confused]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Heard a rumour last night that the entire welsh team have been banned for taking summin ,
It's a Press Leak.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One word:

Gussets.

Female rhythmic gymnasts, I'm talking to you.

I want to be able to appreciate your athleticism without being distracted by your camel toes. Thank you very much.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
One word:

Gussets.

Female rhythmic gymnasts, I'm talking to you.

I want to be able to appreciate your athleticism without being distracted by your camel toes. Thank you very much.

Try having a wank before you turn on the telly.

[ 26. July 2014, 10:20: Message edited by: ecumaniac ]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir needs a cuchini for 'is eyes.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having missed the Opening Ceremony, I thought it would be easy to find a clip on YouTube; ideally edited highlights. However, all I can find are sets of photos with a mechanical voice. Can anyone point me in the direction of something good?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the BBC Highlights

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about a statue of Baal while you're at it?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been catching up the opening, and there was a South African singer singing in a variety of Scots (I gather there are several) and the subtitles were in it, too. I can't be absolutely sure, given the usual accuracy of subtitles in English, that the spelling was what it should be, so getting the gist was not entirely easy.

Beautiful, though.

[ 26. July 2014, 18:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about a statue of Baal while you're at it?
That's no good! It doesn't frighten people and doesn't go BANG. No, a statue of Baal is less useful than an SSBN full of Trident D5's.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Just been catching up the opening, and there was a South African singer singing in a variety of Scots (I gather there are several) and the subtitles were in it, too. I can't be absolutely sure, given the usual accuracy of subtitles in English, that the spelling was what it should be, so getting the gist was not entirely easy.

Beautiful, though.

It was Hamish Henderson's Freedom Come All Ye.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If shamwari had started this thread to complain about the ugliness of the Scottish team's outfits, I'd have been right there with him. I clicked on the link in the Circus thread, and I can't unsee the horror!

Just think 'dancing Tunnock's Tea-cakes' and it'll all go away....

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wish the bloody english BBC announcers would bother to try to pronounce Glasgow properly. Hearing them drone "glaaaahhhhhhssgeeeooooooww" or "STRATHclyaaayyyde" is irritating. Would it really kill them to try to give the place enough respect to make the small effort to pronounce its name properly?
Other english people manage, even southerners.

WTF?

It's a long time since I've seen a post so transparently - disturbingly - nasty and stupid. The lower-case "e" was the clincher for me. Go ahead and add "shameless" to the mix by defending it, by all means. Indeed, don't stint yourself, collect a bonus epithet: get "hypocritical" thrown in free by telling me that Scots always pronounce English place names just as the locals do (or that it's not the same if they don't).

Don't worry though, folks: anti-English animus will play no part whatsoever in the support for Scottish independence in September. Nope - nary a jot. The very idea!

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with "glaaaahhhhhhssgeeeooooooww" and "STRATHclyaaayyyde".
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Me neither tbh. I live somewhere visitors call Edin-burg rather than Edin-burra, and the locals call Embra. We cope.

[ 27. July 2014, 07:08: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Southern English pronounciation of Glasgow gives Glahsgoh (long a) rather than as the locals pronounce it with a short a and almost an "ay/ae" sound for the final vowel. But southern English changes the pronounciation of most place names in the north of England - Newcastle, Sunderland, the lot. Not sure what's so wrong with Strathclyde, even as a southerner I'd say that one with a short a.

As a southerner it sounds weird when I say the place names as they are said locally - because I say ba(h)th, gra(h)ss, ca(h)stle, but Newcassle having lived in Sunderland for a bit, so I'm not sure forcing the southern presenters to change the pronounciation of place names will sound any better.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
the locals pronounce it with a short a and almost an "ay/ae" sound for the final vowel.

Heck, not even all the locals pronounce it that way. Different Glaswegians pronounce it differently on different occasions too. A Bearsdenizen™ would probably never pronounce it that way at all.

[Bearsden is a "toney" neighbourhood of "Glesga".]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

And enough of these snobby Scottish newsreaders talking about 'London' - its Lunnon innit?
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
the locals pronounce it with a short a and almost an "ay/ae" sound for the final vowel.

Heck, not even all the locals pronounce it that way. Different Glaswegians pronounce it differently on different occasions too. A Bearsdenizen™ would probably never pronounce it that way at all.

[Bearsden is a "toney" neighbourhood of "Glesga".]

/pedant alert

Bearsden isn't in Glasgow, it's in the sunny world of East Dunbartonshire.

/end pedant alert.]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

Och awright, hen - you're right, but.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
It's a Press Leak.

Is that what happens if you try an do some of those events on a full bladder ?

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
It's a Press Leak.

Is that what happens if you try an do some of those events on a full bladder ?
If I type : "Its a press leek." can I have a lol ?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, thank you. The subtitles were correct (though not always in synch). Is there anywhere I can find either a translation, or a dictionary? I can do some of it, where the words are a different spelling of words also found in English, but not all. (Or where they have been used in the Medieval/Renaissance Scottish detective stories I have developed a taste for.)
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Answering myself, in part. I should have thought of it. Discussion on the Mudcat website, though essential links no longer work.

First discussion

Second discussion

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
If I type : "Its a press leek." can I have a lol ?

Be my guest .

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
NEQ, thank you. The subtitles were correct (though not always in synch). Is there anywhere I can find either a translation, or a dictionary?

Translation here.

Btw, did anyone see the final of the Rugby Sevens? Stoating stuff.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016