homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Commonwealth Games (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Commonwealth Games
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I wish we had something other than "Flower of Scotland" but none of the alternatives are so easy to sing as a single chorus. (Except "Scots Wha Hae" which is even more martial than "Flower of Scotland.")

Flower of Scotland is only really martial if you stop at the first verse.

But if you want something different, and want to stick with the Corries, how about the desperately cheesy "Scotland will flourish"? [Devil]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with "glaaaahhhhhhssgeeeooooooww" and "STRATHclyaaayyyde".

I don't come from Glasgow (although both my parents were from Greenock, which isn't far away), and I'd pronounce it "GLAHZ-go", with a long "a", a voiced "s" and a short "o".

In "StrathCLYDE" the "a" in "Strath" is short, and the emphasis is on "Clyde", which is pronounced as in Bonnie and Clyde.*

* or as in "Right turn, Clyde", depending on your cinematic preferences. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched women's marathon finish. Does anyone know if that African runner who collapsed over the line is OK?

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
73 medals, eh?

I vaguely know how we got about 10 of them from news reports and watching about half an hour of live coverage in total. I'm amazed at how easy I'm finding it to, y'know, not actually watch this stuff. It's amazing. I've got this thing called a "remote control" that lets me change stations, and then I've got a box with recorded programs on it that has let me watch things I decided I was interested in, like movies, and then there's another box called a "DVD player" that I put a disc in and so far none of the discs have the Commonwealth Games on them!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, thank you.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales (in the person of Jazz Coleman) have finally got a gold medal in the pool.

First Welsh woman to win a swimming gold for 40 years [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Fairport Convention fan, I was most amused to be hearing about a swimmer called Maddy Groves.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
As a Fairport Convention fan, I was most amused to be hearing about a swimmer called Maddy Groves.

AG

Yeah, because linking to a Youtube clip for a name that isn't actually "Maddy Groves" really shores up your case for amusement.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the current fashion for male swimmers is these trunks which are knee length, but barely groin high. Particularly in the underwater shots, you do wonder if they will stay up.

Not that I'm complaining or anything you understand.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scottie dogs disrespectful to Muslims The complaints seem to be coming from one named source in Malaysia's political opposition party, and the Games' Committee report no complaints have been received by them from participating nations or competitors.

Nevertheless, one feels, instinctively, that Muslim leaders and politicans - and in Malaysia - have surely more pressing problems within their own camp, than the traditional established 5,000 year relationship between humankind and dogs? If one wishes to sincerely explore the kinds of behaviour classifiable as 'disrespectful' to civilized people, it would be sadly easy to find much more serious contenders than a Scotty dog. [Frown]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I see the current fashion for male swimmers is these trunks which are knee length, but barely groin high. Particularly in the underwater shots, you do wonder if they will stay up.

Not that I'm complaining or anything you understand.

Caught a snippet of the male spring-board diving last night .

The attire, (or lack of it), seemed to meet the approval of my other half who, oddly enough, is rarely interested in sport of any kind.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Scottie dogs disrespectful to Muslims The complaints seem to be coming from one named source in Malaysia's political opposition party, and the Games' Committee report no complaints have been received by them from participating nations or competitors.

Nevertheless, one feels, instinctively, that Muslim leaders and politicans - and in Malaysia - have surely more pressing problems within their own camp, than the traditional established 5,000 year relationship between humankind and dogs? If one wishes to sincerely explore the kinds of behaviour classifiable as 'disrespectful' to civilized people, it would be sadly easy to find much more serious contenders than a Scotty dog. [Frown]

Very predictable though, given they are seen as unclean animals.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Stockholm syndrome is setting in, I am starting to watch it and found myself mildly interested at one point.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Slow news day in Kuala Lumpur.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Slow news day in Kuala Lumpur.

And many other places, too, perhaps! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I think Stockholm syndrome is setting in, I am starting to watch it and found myself mildly interested at one point.

You too?

My grandchildren (8&9) love it. They want to be like these athletes. Especially the swimmers. Their swimming has come on a lot just through watching them.

I didn't have that sort of access to those sort of role models when I was that age. Bring it on say I.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ok, shamwari, you can turn the TV back on now.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that, Kylie's lingerie might give him a funny turn.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That, and the bitter, bitter news that quite a lot of people enjoyed them.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone loves Kylie, don't they?

*does the Locomotion around the living room*

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

*boggles slightly at the mental image thus created*

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

How is it possible to murder Auld Lang Syne so completely ?

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

If you invite Lulu to take part, I think it's pretty much certain to happen.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

Were the English invited to take part?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Everyone loves Kylie, don't they?

When the announcer said, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, we have everybody's favourite Australian", were D. and I the only ones who thought, "I thought he was in jail"?

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice article about the Comm games web page
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only just come in to this, as it is not quite at the top of the avoid all broadcasts list. (My grandad died, in his mind, in a field hospital, where he had served as an orderly, when I was 14. I don't want anyone else's memories. thank you.)

I heard a Muslim explaining about dogs on the radio once - working dogs are allowed, outside. Terriers are working dogs, aren't they? No problem.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My four year old nephew loved the Games and has come away with a new life plan. He told me last weekend he wanted to be a 'stick jumper' when he grew up. I later found out he'd been to watch the athletics and had enjoyed the pole vault.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aunt jane
Shipmate
# 10139

- Posted      Profile for aunt jane         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
My four year old nephew loved the Games and has come away with a new life plan. He told me last weekend he wanted to be a 'stick jumper' when he grew up. I later found out he'd been to watch the athletics and had enjoyed the pole vault.

Wonderful Chive I wish your nephew well with his "stick jumping"
Posts: 97 | From: South East of England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016