homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Your favourite poems

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Your favourite poems
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Playing the Poetry Association Game on this board has made me realize that some of the poems I like best aren't ones I previously thought of as favourites, and I've been particularly pleased to be able to quote from them. So I wondered what other people's favourites were, and why they chose those in particular. Is there a particular poet that speaks to you? Or some that you find yourself quoting, or do phrases from any one run through your mind from time to time?

Feel free to link to examples - though probably best not too many, for the sake of the board hosts...

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Owl... is my favourite, who flies like a nothing thru the night, who who-ing...

I can quote huge chunks of this, but am aware I must not. [Smile]

No idea of the author.

Eta... I like it for its imagery. I encountered it in a book from a sister, then was very excited to find it in a proper school text book.

Black talons in petrified fur! Cold walnut hands on the case of the brain!

[ 13. August 2014, 17:19: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:

No idea of the author.

George MacBeth
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked the comic twisting of well known poems:

I must go down to the sea again,
To the lonely sea and the sky.
I left my shoes and socks there
I wonder if they're dry?

Milligan

I came across that one when I was a lot, lot younger and have loved it ever since. (Sea Fever is OK too.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my all-time favourite poet is Edna St Vincent Millay. She writes better than anyone else I've read about loss and grief. Sometimes there's a spicing of cynicism or bitterness, but there's always worldly wisdom and above all, honesty. Two of her best:
Time does not bring relief
Dirge without music

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Carol Ann Duffy, particularly "The World's Wife". My favourite is Mrs Icarus.

I also have to confess to a fondness for Betjeman, particularly that old trope, "A Subaltern’s Love Song" singing the praises of Miss Joan Hunter Dunn.

I love all sorts of more serious stuff as well, but these were what sprang to the top of my mind when I saw a thread about favourites! Not sure what that says about me today...

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ogden Nash is one of my favourite poets. What he writes in two lines is brilliant: my failed imitations are just doggerel!

Beside his work and Shakespearean sonnets, I specially like TS Eliot. My favourite in the book we have is The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock which I studied in secondary school.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely Dante (Dorothy Sayers translation for the win!), Spenser, and Milton. <3

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016