homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book Link (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book Link
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a popular game on another forum I'm a member of. Post the title and author of a book which has some sort of connection with the previous one. The connection can be, for example, a major word in common in the titles (by 'major word' I mean not "and", "of", "the", "a", etc.), another book about the same subject, a sequel or prequel to the previous book, or anything, including something quirky and not obvious, though in that case, explain the link. NOT allowed is another book by the same author, unless there's another link as well, because otherwise we could just run through all the books by one well-known author, and then move on to the next, which would be boring and unimaginative.
An example of how the game might proceed would be:
Strange Days Indeed - Francis Wheen
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Jonathan Wild - Henry Fielding
Mary Barton - Elizabeth Gaskell (Link - both titles are personal names)
Elizabeth Gaskell and the English Provincial Novel - W.A.Craik
etc.

OK, to start the game off:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

<small>[ 15. May 2012, 09:07: Message edited by: Steve H ]</small>

[ 13. February 2013, 04:38: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Galaxy in Flames' by Ben Counter

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Orchard on Fire by Shena Mackay

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New Book of Apples - Joan Morgan and Alison Richards

[ 15. May 2012, 21:42: Message edited by: Steve H ]

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Golden Apples of the Sun Ray Bradbury

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

A Ride in the Neon Sun - Josie Dew

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solar - Ian McEwan

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess.

(both titles involve orange spheres)

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Father and Son - Edmund Gosse (Link - both books about troubled childhoods with extreme puritanical parents.)

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

'One Day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

George Orwell: a Life - Bernard Crick.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Double Helix—Watson & Crick

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hound Of The Baskervilles Arthur Conan Doyle (narrated by John Watson)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Name of the Rose Umberto Eco (protagonist William of Baskerville).

[ 17. May 2012, 17:16: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

'Third Year at Malory Towers' by Enid Blyton

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

The Two Towers (vol.2 LoTR)
by J.R.R. Tolkien

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

English Bread and Yeast Cookery - Elizabeth David (Link - rye bread)

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Plats du Jour* by Patience Grey and Primrose Boyd

*trans "Dishes of the Day" - book on French-style cookery, inspired by Elizabeth David.

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl - Belle de Jour

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Donne, "Meditation 17"

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Dōgen, Shōbōgenzō

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Rule of St. Benedict by Benedict of Nursia (another book of precepts for a spiritual/philosophical community)

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

A Candle for St.Jude by Rumer Godden, which is sitting sulking on my bookshelf, waiitng for me to read it.

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Tower Treasure by Franklin W. Dixon (the first Hardy Boys mystery)

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Treasure Island Robert Louis Stevenson

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The island by Victoria Hislop

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scot O'Dell

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Lord of the Flies William Golding

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Trek: Odyssey - William Shatner
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

Chapman's Homer.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Collected Poems of John Keats

(Contains 'On first looking into Chapman's Homer')

--------------------

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

John Keats: a Life - Stephen Coote

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam Bede by George Eliot

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Ecclesiastical History of the English People by the Venerable Bede

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Beowulf

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglo-Saxon Attitudes (Angus Wilson)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (where the antidotes to the faintness brought on by Anglo-Saxon Attitudes are ham sandwiches and hay)

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016