homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book Link (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book Link
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Letter to the Church at Ephesus by Paul, Saint.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorcery and Cecelia: or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer

The story is told via a series of letters exchanged by the two main characters.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Color Purple - Alice Walker

[composed mostly of Celie's letters to God]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Color of Water by James McBride

(Brilliant memoir. Mixed-race child growing up in US. Title was his mother's answer to the question "What color is God?" --IIRC )

--------------------
Pondering.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Old Man and the Sea Hemingway

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gift From The Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

(Thoughts about life in general, and her life. Much beloved by many.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thunder from the Sea - Joan Hiatt Harlow

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II by Eugene B. Fluckey

My dad loves this book! Written by a submarine captain, this guy thought outside the box, the shelf, and the warehouse and was very successful at his command in the Pacific.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thunder on the Right by Mary Stewart
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lightning Cage by Alan Wall

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Line of Beauty - Alan Hollinghurst

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Road Home Rose Tremaine

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homeland And Other Stories, by Barbara Kingsolver.

The story about the ripple effects of stealing has stuck with me. Really good.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Story of the Amulet by E.Nesbit

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

The E. Nesbit book featured the Psammead, a sand fairy.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Number One Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.

Heard the start of it on Radio 4. Hated it from the first syllable. I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be racist but I couldn't help feeling that the author wanted me to laugh at how "simple" the characters were.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

[tangent alert] isn't that your response rather than the author's?[/tangent]

Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers

Featuring the aristocratic detective Lord Peter Whimsy.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Featuring the aristocratic detective Lord Peter Whimsy.

Wimsey.

Vile Bodies - Evelyn Waugh.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I haven't read it yet, though I've long admired this author; but it's on everyone's lips:

Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Book Collective and Judy Norsigian

Quite revolutionary in the day.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Featuring the aristocratic detective Lord Peter Whimsy...

In real life, Whimsy is a mare owned by a friend of ours, another Shipmate!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

warm bodies by Isaac Marion

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

John Wayne: American by Randy Roberts and James S. Olson

John Wayne's real name was Marion Mitchell Morrison.

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The spy by James Fenimore Cooper

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax, by Dorothy Gilman.

The first of the Mrs. Pollifax spy novels. Emily P. is a 60-something widow and garden-club lady who's depressed and at loose ends. Then she remembers that she once wanted to be a spy...
[Smile]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Night Life of the Gods - Thorne Smith

Very funny - if you haven't read it then you should.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Night Train to Memphis by Elizabeth Peters
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Lilies that Fester by Hazel Holt

(they smell absolutely vile when they're dying, as any flower arranger could tell you)

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Shivering Sands by Victoria Holt

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

South Riding by Winifred Holtby

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

A Horseman Riding By by R.F. Delderfield
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Serve Them All My Days by R.F. Delderfield

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Tom Brown's Schooldays by Thomas Hughes
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The School at the Chalet by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Down with Skool! by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle

one of the immortal Molesworth books.

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Molesworth Rites Again by Simon Brett

...in which the grown-up Molesworth demonstrates that his spelling has not really improved with age.

[ 02. July 2013, 20:30: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Funeral Rites - Jean Genet

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Death of a Peer - Ngaio Marsh

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The White Riders by Monica Edwards

The story is set on Romney Marsh.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

White Mughals - William Dalrymple

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
...The story is set on Romney Marsh.

I thought he was an Australian cricketer! [Biased]

[ 05. July 2013, 12:59: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

It was difficult balancing four ponies on top of him all at once, I can tell you...

Which leads us on to

White Murder by David Wishart

[ 05. July 2013, 13:06: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016