homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book Link (Page 50)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book Link
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey

The mice are terrorized by a monsterous, smiling corgi. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth

--------------------
Pondering.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Forsyte Saga, by John Galsworthy.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Never-Ending Story, by Michael Ende.

(Saga. story.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Daffodil Affair - Michael Innes

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

All about an affair and its aftermath.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Scarlett O'Hara.

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Coming of Age in Samoa by Margaret Mead

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making Mead - Brewing Your First Batch - Gregory Mahan

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Beowulf (anonymous)

The mead-hall.

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Cloud of Unknowing by Anonymous

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Took me a while to get into it but then... WOW.

And a great film too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'll have to read that. [Smile]

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

I slogged through it in my freshman year. Never again.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Cloud Atlas is wonderful, Mitchell brilliant.

Random Harvest by James Hilton

--------------------
Pondering.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Portrait of a Lady Henry James

Although the Nicole Kidman/John Malkovich film got good(ish) reviews IMO the BBC dramatisation with Richard Chamberlain was better. Originally cast because of his previous fame as Doctor Kildare, Chamberlain was a revelation as Ralph: just brilliant.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Would love to see that Chamberlain version of this wonderful novel. Will now always see Gilbert Osmond as Malkovich, though. Seriously creepy.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

(double link!!)

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Portrait of a Nude by Laura Annawyn Shamas

Good play!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Portrait Of Jennie*, by Robert Nathan.

(RN did great, quirky, funny, poignant stories about spirituality and life. There's a good movie version of this one. Two more good RN stories: The Train In The Meadow and Heaven, Hell, And The Megas Factor.)

*Or Jenny?

[ 24. November 2013, 02:45: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Jennie by Paul Gallico

( The Abandoned in the US.)

wonderful book. Jennie is a cat. "When in doubt--wash!"

--------------------
Pondering.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Snow Goose - Paul Gallico - the first Gallico I ever read, I was perhaps 10 years old at the time.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Mother Goose -rhymes chosen and illustrated by Tasha Tudor

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
N or M? by Agatha Christie

Slightly obscure, this one, but without giving too much away, nursery rhymes play an important part in the plot.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

"M" is for Malice by Sue Grafton

This from the Kinsey Millhone detective series. They are pretty entertaining.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Malice Aforethought Francis Isles

A classic who-dunnit from just after WWII.

Track it down, worth reading.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A Death Divided - Clare Francis

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Archbishop in Andalusia by Andrew Greeley

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

God's Smuggler, by Brother Andrew.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hare Sitting Up - Michael Innes

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Double Link?!

a) It's about rabbits, in same family as hares (Leporidae) and
b) Up/Down

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

In which the AntiChrist is a nice kid named Adam.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Earth Abides - George R Stewart

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Stuart Little by E. B. White

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

A Little Book of Sloth by Lucy Cooke

Sloths are cool animals!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Julie's Secret Sloth, by Jacqueline Jackson.

(Julie obtains a sloth, and hides it in her room. Good book.)

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Secret Seven - Enid Blyton

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh.

(Beloved kids' book. Part of a series. If you only know it from the movie version with Rosie O'Donnell as Miss Golly, please read the book!! I like Rosie, but IMHO she was wrong for the part.)

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming

The Spy of spies.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

Brilliant novella about how Her Majesty discovers a bookmobile and starts reading all sorts of books...books change everything....

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

A Warning to the Curious and Other Ghost Stories by M.R. James

Includes a story called 'The Uncommon Prayer-Book'

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The Canterville Ghost, by Oscar Wilde.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

Twofer [Smile]

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Brava, Lyda*Rose!

Vice Versa by F. Anstey

comic classic. Anson-Anstey--close enough?

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers

Same idea, different century...

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Mary Myth: On the Femininity of God by Andrew M. Greeley

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016