homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book Link (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book Link
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sea-Wolf Jack London

Another of London's tales of a "soft" protagonist improved after being forced to deal with physical adversity.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack Staff by Paul Grist

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

In which a wizard's staff (with, presumably, a knob on the end) is accidentally handed on to the seventh daughter of a seventh son, With Hilarious Consequences.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Spiral Dance, by Starhawk.

(Pagan theology and practice.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Wizard of Earthsea By Ursula K. LeGuin

The wizard's "use name" is Sparrowhawk.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archipelago, Monique Roffey. -
When a flood destroys Gavin Weald's home, tearing apart his family and his way of life, he doesn't know how to continue. A year later, he returns to his rebuilt home and tries to start again, but when the new rainy season arrives, so do his daughter's nightmares about the torrents, and life there becomes unbearable. So father and daughter and their dog - embark upon a voyage to make peace with the waters. Their journey will take them far from their Caribbean island home, into other unknown harbours and eventually across a massive ocean. They will sail through archipelagos, encounter the grandeur of the sea, meet with the challenges and surprises of the natural world. A miraculous future lies ahead of them, unknown territories await to be discovered. But it will take more than an ocean to put the memory of the flood behind them.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

My wife is a big fan and I know she read it.

I just re-finished reading a book by Dame Agatha Christie for book club featuring semi-retired Belgian detective Hercule Poirot called The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It seems to take place between the wars. For more about it, see my thread in Heaven....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was by Geoff Ryman

A fictionalized account of the life of a number people connected to the film of The Wizard of Oz, including Frank L. Baum and Judy Garland.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of Sheer Rage by Geoff Dyer

(brilliant book about failing to write a biography of D. H.Lawrence)

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of the Silent Planet by C S Lewis
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The basic eight, by Daniel Handler. - The diary of a jailed woman, describing the murders for which she is held responsible. It happened in a California high school and involved a group of students on drugs and alcohol. The victims were a teacher and a student.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The colo(u)r of magic by Terry Pratchett

Featuring the eighth colour in the spectrum, which can only be seen by wizards.

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

Turtles all the way down, by Gaye Shortland.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gardening without a Garden Gay Search

Actually a very good book for the frustrated gardener with only a balcony or window-box.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The Magician's Nephew by C S Lewis

Featuring the Narnian Garden of Eden.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Penny to See the Peepshow by F. Tennyson Jesse

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost Famous by Cameron Crowe

Published screenplay with the character Penny Lane.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

Almost Human by Melanie Novak

--------------------

AJG

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

quote:
Originally posted by agrgurich:
Almost Human by Melanie Novak

Is "so in need of editing it's painful" a sufficient link?

Assuming not: The Humans, by Matt Haig. - One wet Friday evening, Professor Andrew Martin of Cambridge University solves the world's greatest mathematical riddle. Then he disappears. When he is found walking naked along the motorway, Professor Martin seems different. Besides the lack of clothes, he now finds normal life pointless. His loving wife and teenage son seem repulsive to him.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Concerning Christian Liberty by Martin Luther

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

On Liberty by John Stuart Mill

--------------------
Pondering.

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

The outlandish adventures of Liberty Aimes, Kelly Easton ; illustrated by Greg Swearingen. - Ten-year-old Liberty Aimes escapes her prison-like home by using a strange concoction of her father's, then tries to make her way to the boarding school of her dreams, aided by various people and animals.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Give Me Liberty by Frank Miller

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

The audacity of hope : thoughts on reclaiming the American Dream, Barack Obama. - Senator Obama calls for a different brand of politics--a politics for those weary of bitter partisanship and alienated by the "endless clash of armies" we see in Congress and on the campaign trail; a politics rooted in the faith, inclusiveness, and nobility of spirit at the heart of our democracy. He explores those forces--from the fear of losing, to the perpetual need to raise money, to the power of the media--that can stifle even the best-intentioned politician. He examines the growing economic insecurity of American families, the racial and religious tensions within the body politic, and the transnational threats--from terrorism to pandemic--that gather beyond our shores. And he grapples with the role that faith plays in a democracy. Only by returning to the principles that gave birth to our Constitution, he says, can Americans repair a broken political process, and restore to working order a government dangerously out of touch with millions of ordinary Americans.

("American dream" features in the subtitle of both works).

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope For The Flowersby Trina Paulus.

(Feel-good, encouraging classic from the '70s. Hand-lettered and -illustrated.)

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

Have Tux, Will Travel by Bob Hope

--------------------

AJG

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Travels with my aunt - Graham Greene

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The next move is obvious...

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P.G. Wodehouse

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

Leading to the equally predictable:

Gentlemen and players : a novel, Joanne Harris. - As the new term gets under way at the elite St. Oswald's School for Boys, a number of increasingly devastating incidents occurs, leaving the unraveling school in the hands of the only person who can save it, Roy Straitley.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

The Player of Games by Iain M Banks

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

Games people play : the psychology of human relationships, Eric Berne. - Eric Berne developed the technique of transactional analysis in group therapy, and here presents his findings to the general public in a witty and entertaining best-seller. He shows how people can achieve a new self-awareness by analyzing their behavior in terms of "games." People tend to live their lives by consistently playing out certain games in their interpersonal relationships. They play these games for a variety of reasons: to avoid confronting reality, to conceal ulterior motives, to rationalize their activities, or to avoid actual participation. These games--if they are not destructive--are both desirable and necessary, and here Dr. Berne offers an analysis of 36 common games, which he breaks down into seven major categories.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funeral Games - Mary Renault

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Funeral of Figaro by Ellis Peters

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Chatterton by Peter Ackroyd

Could we call this a double link?!
Peters/Peter. And Funeral/Death (since Chatterton is so closely identified with the painting "Death of Chatterton" by Henry Wallis....).

--------------------
Pondering.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Hawksmoor - Peter Ackroyd

One of the most absorbing crime novels I've ever read.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers

A Lord Peter Wimsey mystery.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Greedy Night, by E.C. Bentley

(Parody of Gaudy Night!)

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The Night of Four Hundred Rabbits by Elizabeth Peters

which (unusually for EP) does not live up to the promise of its title...

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

The Hundred and One Dalmations by Dodie Smith.

--------------------
Pondering.

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

Low Man On the Totem Pole by H. Allan Smith

--------------------

AJG

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mike and Psmith - P G Wodehouse

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Psmith Journalist by P G Wodehouse
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Journal of a Disappointed Man by W. N. P. Barbellion

--------------------
Pondering.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016