homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World Cup 2014: The truly global party (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: World Cup 2014: The truly global party
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brazil also looking very comfortable, and much less vulnerable at the back than they did against Chile. Is it just me, or have both Colombia and Chile played a somewhat more physical game than Brazil? Some of the tackles, particularly on Neymar, look pretty borderline.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The refereeing has looked pretty random.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
James Roderiguez waz robbed !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty gutted by both of today's results. Although to me both were fair outcomes.

I thought France played better football than Germany much of the time, but they just couldn't translate it into goals.

Brazil v Colombia was wild and crazy, and fast. The Brazilians just didn't let the Colombians play (although generally this was within the rules). The free kick for the second Brazilian goal was superb.

And now I see Neymar is gone. Although Brazil wasn't relying on him as much as before. Finally, the rest of the team has got their act together.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, a mad game really, and not the Brazil that we fantasize about at all, although that was never realistic. It was exciting, but at times, brutal.

I suppose it's Germany now. Sulk.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I don't think Belgium can win against Argentina, already behind ....

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

So Argentina through, last quarter final is Netherlands vs Costa Rica - I am rooting for Costa Rica on the grounds on climate, and pleasing unlikeliness.

But I know that really, the Dutch have the best chance.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nil, nil at full time !!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really wanted the Ticos to go through. Won't have a World Cup of the Americas this year...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sad that Costa Rica didn't get through - it would have the result for all soccer romantics.

But realistically, Holland actually stand a chance of beating Argentina, whereas CR don't. So it is good that Argentina have a harder semi-final. Of the four semi-finalists, they are the ones I least want to win. I think it is because they rely so heavily on Messi. World Cup winners should be the best team. So I'm going for Germany (followed by Holland).

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was very nearly 0 out of 3 predictions for me.

--------------------
M Barnier

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sigh.

Well, none of the quarters really went the way I hoped, although today's results aren't a surprise.

Belgium just never really got it going against Argentina. Mind you, Argentina weren't oustanding either, there goal being based on a deflection (but a nice finish).

And Netherlands v Costa Rica was awfully tedious for a long time, before becoming insanely chaotic later on. I am heartily sick of the sight of Arjen Robben, and now he's got 2 more matches.

I'll be cheering for Argentina now, as they're probably the only one of the remaining teams that I at least half-like. Messi lifting the World Cup? Yeah, I can get behind that.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hoping Holland win. Hate the other teams.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Watching most of the quarter-final action ISTM that Brazil are the only team that really looks like it *wants* to win the tournament .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the last Brazil game was semi-hysterical, by both fans and players. But this may win them the World Cup, as it seems to generate so much energy. Still, I'm very curious to see how Germany will cope with it.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

This was very much what came across to me watching Brazil - Columbia .

I often watch sport muted so for a while, at 1-0, thought Columbia were in the yellow strip, (because of the white shorts), and were furiously trying for an equaliser.
Being a bit slow on the uptake I eventually realised it to be the other way round, all the energy was in fact being expended by Brazil in order to secure a second goal.

And what a goal when it came ! The guy who planted that free-kick in the corner of the net looked like he experienced the best feeling known to any footballer. [Big Grin]

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well we've got rid of the tennis now (yawn) and hopefully it won't be long before we can kick those soporific push-bikers back over the channel.

But when can we raise a thread about the upcoming football season in England, because I feel the need to do a bit of bragging about ManU. Especially if Holland win the world cup, 'cause every top drawer player on the planet will want to follow success like that to Old Trafford.

In fact, we can offer a nice restfull season to all those tired, exhausted players who don't want to play fifty games. They don't need to worry about the Champions League. All they need to do is win on Saturday afternoons in the Premiership. Which will be nice for them.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmmm. Actually, I don't think Van Gaal will be the huge success that the media seem to be anticipating. Not because he isn't a good manager - but because the task is so large.

I see Van Gaal's role over the next couple of years will be to put into place a structure and squad that can start to be serious contenders after he departs. Any one who thinks that ManU are going to be title contenders this season is fooling themselves. A realistic target will be to qualify for the Champions League. ManC and Chelsea will fight for the title, with their seemingly infinite resources (because Financial Fairplay is working so well) [Roll Eyes]

3rd & 4th places will be fought between Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU. Spurs will once again find that bringing in ANOTHER new manager is not the answer. They'll offer a threat to the top 5 but be found wanting at the key moments. Pocchetino will probably get the sack for failing to win a trophy. A N Other team will be this season's West Brom or Newcastle - a great start gets the fans talking about Europe, but a collapse after Christmas leaves them once again looking at the top 5 from afar.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

Same is true of the World Cup. After some interesting scores in the group games it has come down to four of the usual contenders. All the semi-finalists have been in at least three out of the last ten finals.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Costa Rica very, very nearly made it.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
quote:

Same is true of the World Cup. After some interesting scores in the group games it has come down to four of the usual contenders. All the semi-finalists have been in at least three out of the last ten finals.
Mmmm.

The World Cup started with such a bang that it looked as it was going to be really memorable. But since the group stages it has settled down into a fairly predictable pattern. The usual suspects have done just enough to get through. I'm hoping that they have been saving themselves for when it matters, but the reality may well be that we've already seen the best of the WC.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

The wicked part of me relishes the notion of Netherlands being runners-up again. [Snigger]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The wicked part of me relishes the notion of Netherlands being runners-up again. [Snigger]

True! But they can't ALL be runners up, sadly... [Frown]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wanted Costa Rica Ticos to win. They didn't. Shall cheer for Germany and Argentina.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Pocchetino will probably get the sack for failing to win a trophy.

I disagree. Spurs will displace Gunners or Liverpool and wind up in 3rd place or better. New coach will spend money and work miracles, just like he did at Southampton.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Pocchetino will probably get the sack for failing to win a trophy.

I disagree. Spurs will displace Gunners or Liverpool and wind up in 3rd place or better. New coach will spend money and work miracles, just like he did at Southampton.
In your dreams. Typical Spuds fan, thinking they're bigger than they are. [Big Grin]
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I imagine Dietrich Bonhoeffer would have told you to follow Arsenal or Chelsea. Much as it pains me to say it. [Frown]

--------------------
M Barnier

orfeo

# 13878

Oi! Can you lot keep your Premier League discussions out of the World Cup thread? If you want to talk 2014/15 Premier League, go make a 2014/15 Premier League thread or something.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This was the general football thread (mostly Premier League conversation) until somebody came along and changed the title...
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[Hostly bowtie revolves clockwise]

If I have a problem with what is being discussed on this thread, I will say so. (Drop kicks mini-host into the lake of fire.)

[Hostly bowtie revolves anti-clockwise]

Doublethink
Circus Host

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possible world cup finals:

Brazil vs. Argentina: classic South American rivalry, but 1st time in world cup final
Brazil vs. Netherlands: 1st time in world cup final
Germany vs. Argentina: world cup finals in 1986 & 1990 (each side won once)
Germany vs. Netherlands: classic European rivalry, including 1974 world cup final (Germany won)

All of these should be good... I'm guessing it will be Germany vs. Argentina, though I expect both semi-finals to be close.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

It seems impossible to predict the final. Brazil will be semi-hysterical, as usual, crying and praying, which increases their energy levels, but perhaps messes up the defence. Germany will be efficient and very difficult to stop. Argentina - I don't know, I saw an awful game with them in it, and then the next one, they looked cultured and strong. Holland - no idea, depends if Van Gaal has thought up a wizard scheme to stop Messi. Possibly have two goal-keepers playing.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I would like Brazil to win now, because they'd be soooo happy.

I suspect it will be Netherlands though.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Van Gaal is certainly on a roll; as somebody said, luck, good tactics, and a huge ego will get you a long way.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of all the players left, the only ones I can support are Cesar, Lahm and Messi.

The rest have either dove, or kicked or thugged or not been all that good.

I'd love to see Cesar go out on a high after the way QPR treated him. But the rest of his team is despicable.

German histrionics are getting way too much - its like every one of them studied tapes of Klinsmann.

Robben is killing the Dutch for me, even though their fans are the biggest and most fun group left in this city.

Messi has been a joy to watch at time with his ball control but the rest of his team has been a mix of thug and bemusement.

I find myself being chaotically neutral about all this.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I suspect Brazil might just clinch it. They had an almighty scare against Chile - half a crossbar's width away from elimination, and they (to my mind) played much better against Colombia. Teams develop mid-tournament, and the suggestion I'd make is that Brazil are improving. They will miss Neymar, but they do actually have other players. Hulk has actually been doing a great deal up front. Possibly defences have allowed him space in order to shut down Neymar. We shall see. They have other inventive players who can (unlike the French) find a way through the German defence. By contrast, the Germans don't have sufficient firepower up front. Like the Dutch, their best match was their first match, and they haven't improved since then. As for the Argentines, they only have Messi.

(There. That'll jinx them [Devil] )

--------------------
M Barnier

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

I'd love to see Cesar go out on a high after the way QPR treated him. But the rest of his team is despicable.

Pah.

quote:
There was a move lined up for him to Napoli in the summer but he turned it down on the basis that he did not want to return to Italy. In the meantime he has kept on banking a salary of around £70,000 a week, as that World Cup draws ever closer. The best goalkeeper in Brazil is free to spend Saturday afternoons at Westfield shopping centre rather than the other side of Wood Lane at Loftus Road. Either way, it all adds up to a terrible indictment of Cesar’s ambition.
and

quote:
The logic has simply been that Green has been too consistent to leave out of the side and you only need to look at the plummeting fortunes of Shaun Wright-Phillips under Redknapp to see he doesn’t care much for reputations.
From the Indy.

Perfectly explicable logic. Cesar is a better shot stopper. But Green is better at dealing with crosses. For the Premier League, and certainly the Championship, that makes Green the preferable keeper.

--------------------
M Barnier

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is outrage! Was it brightly colored shoe in nineteenth century Russia? No, it was not. This is prove football is the gay.

Priest: World Cup Is A Homosexual Abomination Because Players Wear Gay Shoes

Facepalm. Is Russian Orthodox Church leading of march to madhouse? Da, it is seem so to being. [brick wall]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I'm surprised he hasn't commented on the on-field group sex.

--------------------
M Barnier

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

What the fuck happened to Brazil !?!

Four nil down in 25 minutes !!!!!!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Germany have scored four goals in six minutes, six minutes !!

Currently, five nil to Germany.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Five now.

Well that's what the Germans do. Win

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

There's winning, and there is demolishing ...

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Having read your post DT I just put it on . It's now 5-0 to the Germans
[Eek!]

This is most unbelievable .

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Never seen anything like that. Hopefully Holland will stuff the Argies tomorrow as well.
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Brazilian midfield forgot how to defend, and the back line decisions have looked slow. As for Argentina vs Netherlands, I like Argentina's attack but that same attack plays into Netherland's strong counter attack.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Six nil.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is insanity! Where is Brazil? They've played 5 min worth the whole game so far.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Seven nil.

Is knocked over by a passing feather.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

7 nil.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016