homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World Cup 2014: The truly global party (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: World Cup 2014: The truly global party
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...Although it wasn't the defence that slipped up when it mattered most...

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
Bother. That's it for another 4 years.

Err no. The real thing kicks off on the 16th of August, or the 9th if you follow a non-premiership club.
Nonsense. The real thing kicks off with the Southern Premier.

But nevertheless, there is something about the World Cup. It lacks the relentless grind of league football.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Live coverage of pre-season friendlies is driving Mrs Sioni potty. We're sure it's new.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Live coverage of pre-season friendlies is driving Mrs Sioni potty. We're sure it's new.

Are they on Sky? I don't get Sky so boo if they are but still, good for them as do.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Are they on Sky? I don't get Sky so boo if they are but still, good for them as do.
They have been on BT. Liverpool on Friday, Spurs yesterday. I suppose it's better than talking heads which BT has an awful lot of.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh wow. When we were living in the States we used to go to watch the preseason games because they were the only time we could watch the boys live without travelling transatlantic. But they were rubbish games, so I don't know who would want to watch them on TV. I haven't watched any of Chelsea's.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Spurs scored first and came to a respectable 3-3 draw against the well-coached Seattle side. I wore rather a lot of the clothes I bought in England including a Spurs long-sleeved dress shirt in celebration. That was he only thing in my gear I did not get at Marks and Spencers or Clarks, other than my socks...

I've mislaid the ones British Airways gave me when they lost some of our luggage in 2007....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the Grauniad:

[Copyrighted material removed.]

[ 21. July 2014, 17:40: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sir Kevin, two separate points:

1. Please be aware that copying large amounts of text from a copyrighted source is against the Ship's policies. We don't need trouble from The Guardian's lawyers. In future, a link to an article would be much more appropriate.

2. As a stylistic note (rather than a legal one), these threads are supposed to be more about discussing sport than merely relaying news. Obviously there are times when those two will intersect, but in general, posts which move the discussion on are better than those that don't.

Imaginary Friend
Circus Host

--------------------
Brian Clough

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darn! Groningen–Aberdeen 1–2.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ur lot was pretty good last night Sir Kevin.

You needed a DM in the second half which allowed enough space for our C team strikers to score.

Davies looked good.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SCK

What the hell is happening to the Saints? Has Katharina Liebherr gone down to the bookies and put the whole family inheritance on them getting relegated this season? Very disappointed.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if I was Saints. I guess you'd better hope your academy is as good as everyone says it is. I reckon a few of your youngsters might be getting a go this year.

--------------------
Brian Clough

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
What the hell is happening to the Saints? Has Katharina Liebherr gone down to the bookies and put the whole family inheritance on them getting relegated this season? Very disappointed.

I'm concerned, obviously - troubling, uncertain times on the south coast. But, realistically, what could the Saints management do? Haven't they got a good price for all the players who've gone? I really rate Lovren, for example, and think he'll be great at Liverpool, but is he really a £20million player...?

This article sums up my feelings well. As long as Southampton do bring in several players (I'd be happy with most of those at the bottom of that article - Leroy Fer, Fraser Forster, Serge Gnabry, Vlad Chiriches and Lewis Holtby) and don't get ripped off due to the other clubs knowing Saints are loaded, then I think we'll finish comfortably around mid-table.

And, from what I hear, the academy is that good! So there should be a few top-notch young players who get their chance in the first team this season and, if they do as well as Shaw, Chambers and Ward-Prowse did in 2013-14, then Saints will be just fine.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

I'm concerned, obviously - troubling, uncertain times on the south coast. But, realistically, what could the Saints management do? Haven't they got a good price for all the players who've gone? I really rate Lovren, for example, and think he'll be great at Liverpool, but is he really a £20million player...?

This article sums up my feelings well. As long as Southampton do bring in several players (I'd be happy with most of those at the bottom of that article - Leroy Fer, Fraser Forster, Serge Gnabry, Vlad Chiriches and Lewis Holtby) and don't get ripped off due to the other clubs knowing Saints are loaded, then I think we'll finish comfortably around mid-table.

And, from what I hear, the academy is that good! So there should be a few top-notch young players who get their chance in the first team this season and, if they do as well as Shaw, Chambers and Ward-Prowse did in 2013-14, then Saints will be just fine.

Spoken like a True Believer! There's nothing like the optimism of a fan BEFORE the season has started. No goal conceded and anything is still possible. [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, be fair. It wasn't that one-eyed, was it? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

I can't really point the finger - I'm that person at this time of the year, every year.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Aren't we all, Mr Grouch, aren't we all? Remind me which team you follow, though - my memory is failing me this morning!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Sorry IF, I should know better and take advice from a Shipmate with a background in IT like yourself to help me with links!

V. Happy my North London side had a healthy succession of two wins and a draw against USA in friendlies last month. That is what I meant to convey...

Glad North London Danny Rose, as opposed to a colorless historical figure who went by the name of Broadway Danny Rose, is with us permanently and that this brilliant back is no longer on loan elsewhere...

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Aren't we all, Mr Grouch, aren't we all? Remind me which team you follow, though - my memory is failing me this morning!

His avatar would appear to suggest Aldershot Town.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Thanks MtM, I hadn't looked closely enough to spot that.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spoken like a True Believer! There's nothing like the optimism of a fan BEFORE the season has started. No goal conceded and anything is still possible. [Biased]
That's the way it should be.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem et al:
Spoken like a True Believer! There's nothing like the optimism of a fan BEFORE the season has started. No goal conceded and anything is still possible. That's the way it should be.

I am v. optimistic that my side will keep up with the other sides and return to the top three for good. Yes, the new man really is as good as sliced bread! He bloody well proved it on the US tour!

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

You're a Spurs fan aren't you, Sir Kevin? You've already poached our manager, can't you leave Schneiderlin and Rodriguez alone?! *Grumbles*

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aston Villa – Groningen 1–4! [Yipee]

Too bad it was only a friendly [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Aston Villa – Groningen 1–4! [Yipee]

Too bad it was only a friendly [Biased]

Was Vlaar playing or were they keeping him safe? If the latter then Villa can get ready for more results like that!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:

The clue is in the Avatar!

(For those who can't make it out, it's Aldershot Town. Though I'm now cultivating an affection for my "local" MLS team - Vancouver Whitecaps, who have just drawn their 11th game out of 21 played.) [Eek!]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

They say Americans don't like draws, but apparently Canadians are absolutely fine with them!

Meanwhile, now that I've moved away from America's capital, DC United have gone from being last year's whipping boys to second in their conference with a game in hand. You're welcome, DC, and Vamos United!

--------------------
Brian Clough

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
deano: Was Vlaar playing or were they keeping him safe?
He wasn't playing.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
They say Americans don't like draws, but apparently Canadians are absolutely fine with them!

NY Red Bulls have drawn 10 times this season and Chicago Fire an amazing 13 times! I don't think I've ever seen a league table so dominated by draws.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016