homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World Cup 2014: The truly global party (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: World Cup 2014: The truly global party
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Soooo, Costa Rica for the Cup ... .

I drew them in our sweepstake, so I'd win $310 if that happens... [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They looked like they wanted it SO much more than Italy did.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
My hope is that it will provide some catalyst for the FA taking responsiblity for the grass roots game - which ultimately, one hopes, will generate players capable of forming an England side capable of standing comparison with the likes of Italy.

Such plans are already being worked on: The FA's proposed "League 3" will pit the best talent in the U21 teams of Premiership clubs against the top half of what is now the conference. The kids will get hacked to bits by seasoned journeymen playing on rubbish pitches with poor officiating. This will be perfect preparation for taking on the best in the world on the largest global stage. The future is bright!
Why not just copy some other, more successful, nearby country'smethods? There are a number to choose from.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that to work in English football you have to be very conservative and unintelligent.

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Unless, that is, you are from abroad. Then it's fine).

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why not just copy some other, more successful, nearby country'smethods? There are a number to choose from.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that to work in English football you have to be very conservative and unintelligent.

I think that, at the end of the day, it comes down to coaching. (Not claiming this as an original point. Sioni has been making it for as long as I can remember, for instance.) More coaches, better coaches*, and more time for coaching. So, to the extent that this can be copied from Spain or Belgium then go for it. But I think the basic underlying points of the solution are really quite clear.

* And not just the type that you park in front of the goal when you're one-nil up! [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two things:

I hate the Italian side (for reasons mentioned earlier.)

Roy Hodgson should be sacked. Now!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I hope Ballyotelli doesn't make the Italian team. It would be nice to see an English-speaking country do well!

(The last time he played against my Spurs in 2013, he kicked the shite out of Gareth Bale's head and got away with it after likely bribing the officials to look the other way. Had he gotten the red card he deserved, Spurs likely would not have lost!)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

By the way, how do you lot fancy my country's chances tomorrow?

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delayed contribution as it's taken me until now to watch the latest matches. Not that I expected a lot of discussion of Honduras-Ecuador here...

Commiserations to the England supporters. In my estimation, England is the best team that has no hope of going through to the next round. I thought they played damn well against Italy, and were pretty reasonable against Uruguay too. Not embarrassed in either game.

As much as anything, you've been rolled by a team that you haven't even played yet doing astonishingly well and completely upsetting everyone's expectations. I'm pretty sure almost every punter on the planet, outside of certain segments of Central America, looked at Group D and asked "which one of Uruguay, Italy and England will miss out?". It was recognised as a tough group, but most everyone thought it was 3-team race.

And suddenly it turns out "which one will miss out?" was entirely the wrong question. The question should have been "which one will survive?"

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ADDENDUM: Looking forward, I'm expecting Argentina, Germany and Bosnia to win today. I thought Bosnia was very impressive in a first-up loss. Mind you, I thought the same about England...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks orfeo for a measured view. That's been missing here and elsewhere about England's performance, as any match against a top-ten side is easily lose.

It also means that Italy or Uruguay will be going home early too! A draw will see Italy through on goal difference, but it wouldn't be wise to play for a draw, as defenders have been almost as flaky as referees and assistants, and Suarez & Cavani can make any defenders look ordinary.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

SECOND ADDENDUM: Wikipedia just pointed out something a little remarkable. There's a continental effect so far. Of 12 games where a team from the Americas (whether South, Central or North) has played a team from outside the Americas, the American team has won 10 and only lost 2.

The only group going against trend is Group E, where France beat Honduras and Switzerland beat Ecuador. All the others have won against non-American opposition: Brazil, Mexico, Chile (2), Colombia (2), Costa Rica, Uruguay, Argentina and USA.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Thanks orfeo for a measured view. That's been missing here and elsewhere about England's performance, as any match against a top-ten side is easily lose.

Yes, 3 teams all in the top 10 inevitably meant a tough battle.

Although rankings don't tell you everything. How the hell GREECE ever made it to the top 10 (they're 12 now) is beyond me.

[ 21. June 2014, 11:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
SECOND ADDENDUM: Wikipedia just pointed out something a little remarkable. There's a continental effect so far. Of 12 games where a team from the Americas (whether South, Central or North) has played a team from outside the Americas, the American team has won 10 and only lost 2.

The only group going against trend is Group E, where France beat Honduras and Switzerland beat Ecuador. All the others have won against non-American opposition: Brazil, Mexico, Chile (2), Colombia (2), Costa Rica, Uruguay, Argentina and USA.

SUPPLEMENT TO SECOND ADDENDUM:

The eventual winners follow an even more pronounced trend. Of 19 previous tournaments 17 have been held in Europe or the Americas, and of those only Brazil, winners in Sweden in 1958, won in the 'other' continent.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just because this amused me Brick by Brick version of the England v Uruguay game.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Yes, 3 teams all in the top 10 inevitably meant a tough battle.

Although rankings don't tell you everything. How the hell GREECE ever made it to the top 10 (they're 12 now) is beyond me.

The same way the USA get to the high teens. Back in April 2006 they were rated fourth, behind Brazil, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands! Mind you, Germany were rated 19th then: I think they drew the rankings out of a bag that day.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

orfeo

# 13878

USA is much better than Greece IMHO.

As to 2006, back then Greece had lots of points from winning the European championship. They might have been alright then. I just know they weren't great in the 2010 world cup, and in 2014 they are as dull as dishwater except for about two players.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Just because this amused me Brick by Brick version of the England v Uruguay game.

I love that the Rooney brick has no hair.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dunno about anyone else, but to me the World Cup is next year - February/March in New Zealand/Australia.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Ta for all the info, Orfeo. I shall watch the first match today while puttering around the house in a few hours. Looking forward to seeing the last match tomorrow (US) after watching the F1 race we shall be recording due to a large time difference!

(It is v. early here, but I am tinkering with a novel I am attempting to write while my lovely bride sleeps. She sometimes distracts me as we have only one real computer: you cannot write a novel on a Nook!)

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

quote:
England's inability to win against top international sides has been a fairly pronounced part of their world cup records with defeats by Spain in 1950, Uruguay in 1954 draws with Brazil and the USSR in 1958, followed by a subsequent defeat by the Soviets, a loss to Brazil in '62, to Brazil and West Germany in 1970, draws with West Germany and Spain in 1982, defeat to Argentina in '86, to Germany in 1990 (and we then lost the third place match to Italy) (England's much lauded trip to the Semis involved taking down titans such as Belgium and the mighty Cameroon, although to be fair they did draw with the Dutch in the group stages who humiliated them in Euro '98), to Argentina in '98, Brazil in 2002, Portugal in 2006 and Germany in 2010. Usually we managed to avoid taking on teams of the top rank until the quarters or round of 16. It just so happens that this time round we got them in the group stages.

The exceptions were 1966 (natch), 2002 when a penalty by the Sainted Beckham against Argentina erased the shame of 1998 and 1982 when we inexplicably thumped France 3-1 and were one of three unbeaten teams (thanks to the aforementioned draws with West Germany and Spain) along with eventual winners Italy and the mighty Cameroon. But that kind of thing is atypical. Spectators at someone else's triumph, always the bridesmaid but never the bride, Salieri to someone else's Mozart. Never quite good enough.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I don't think anyone here is arguing that this England team disgraced themselves. They looked dangerous against Italy and while I think the score was a fair reflection of the match, they created plenty of chances, more of which might have been scored by the same players on another day. I disagree about Uruguay, who are a good example of why the FIFA rankings are best ignored. Suarez aside, they were nothing more than workmanlike, and had England put in another performance like they did against Italy, England would have won, and that would have been a very creditable result by that group of players and their manager.

The disgrace I'm pointing too is the fact that this is the best side England can put out. I notice that a common phrase these days is that a particular player "stank the house out". Well, England's international performance since 1966 stinks out the world of football. Consider the following:

Italy: World Cup wins 2, runners up 2, third 1, fourth 1.
European champions once, runners up twice.

Germany: World cup winners twice, runners up 3 times, third three times. European champions three times and runners up twice.

Spain: World cup winners once. European champions twice.

Netherlands: World cup runners up 3 times, fourth once. European champions once.

France: World cup winners once. Runners up once. Third once, fourth once. European champions twice.

Czechoslovakia: European champions once, runners up once.

Greece: European champions once.

And so it goes on.

Denmark, Portugal, Belgium, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, all these countries have achieved greater honours in international competition than England. Considering the wealth and popularity of the game, England's performance in international competition is laughable. Only Russia / USSR come out worse.

Now I don't think this is the fault of a few big clubs hoovering up the best players. Every major European country has a small number of clubs doing the same. I also don't think the influx of foreign players is a cause. England were underperforming long before this began. World football is now dominated by two parallel international competitions. The first is the World Cup, participated in by teams whose selection is limited by nationality. The second is the European Cup, participated in by multinational teams selected by skill. There are hardly any English players in this second tournament, mainly because no clubs other than the English ones want to buy them.

Inevitably after each tournament defeat, there is some sort of analysis about why things didn't turn out better. However, the analysis never really contains anything insightful, imho. Typically a particular player gets blamed, or the manager gets the boot, or the team's morale or hunger gets questioned. Or, people point to the performances of Costa Rica and say perhaps on another day England would have done that too, so there isn't really any problem (true perhaps, but a better explanation is that CR have been fortunate enough to hit their top form at a good time). All these explanations are really tinkering around the edges. I hope that someone at the FA is doing something, because from where I'm sitting, they look like a rather hidebound, clueless and highly conservative crowd who don't really have a plan. Ever since I began to follow football, which was in the mid 80s, people have been saying that English football is unsophistiated. It is remarkable that a generation on, people are saying precisely the same thing. Why has this happened?

--------------------
M Barnier

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The difference between Ingerland and the likes of Italy and Uruguay?

Simple - most other teams have players who can get the ball on target. Suarez had a couple of chances and hit the back of the net twice. I lost count of the number of chances that Rooney had over two games and he managed to hit the target once - a tap in which not even Ronnie Rosenthal could have missed. And he still hit the bloody bar from a yard out!

Rooney is football's equivalent of a flat track bully (remember Graeme Hick, anyone?) He can look good when playing average opposition but has rarely produced the goods against top opposition. And yet Sterling (who had produced a good performance against Italy) was shoved out to the wing to make space for The Great White Hope/Dope - who once again failed.

Sturridge looks to be the goods, though. He can hit the target if given the chance. But as long as Rooney is in the side, England look very weak in attack. For Costa Rica, Sterling should be played back in the middle, behind Sturridge. Lallana should start. Welbeck should be dumped (another classic example of someone who has potential but stagnates). I would give Shaw a run at left back. And probably start with Barkley, possibly at the expense of Henderson (who looks as if the highly emotional Liverpool season has finally caught up him.) And I would drop Jagielka. I'd drop Cahill too, but I guess that one of them has to stay for a while.

But the basic flaw is that England need players who can get the ball on target. If they had done so against Italy and Uruguay, they would probably have ended with 4 or even 6 points and still be in the World Cup.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I don't think that's quite fair. My view is that hitting the target requires a) accuracy and b) positioning. A huge number of Lineker's goals looked like simple tap-ins or point-blank headers. While Lineker probably had better service than most (Beardsley, Barnes, Waddle, Hoddle etc) he made it look easy, and Rooney sometimes does too. If Suarez hadn't played, England would have won that match 1-0. Uruguay's other strikers didn't look like they could finish their lunch. They blasted wide of open goals twice. They were clearer chances than England had in the entire match, Rooney's missed header aside.

Anyway, blaming Rooney probably misses the real point which is the small size of England's talent pool compared with other large European nations. To follow in from my previous post, here is a list of European teams who have finished 3rd or 4th (but no higher) in a major tournament since 1966.

England 2(1 x WC, 1 x Euro)
Poland 2 (2 x WC)
Turkey 2 (1 x WC, 1 x Euro)
Sweden 2 (1 x WC, 1 x Euro)
Belgium 1 (1 x WC)
Bulgaria 1 (1 x WC)
Croatia 1 (1 x WC).

To put it another way, the only European countries whose international records are demonstrably worse than England in terms of what they have achieved are: Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Finland, Iceland, East Germany, Hungary, Romania, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Albania, Andorra, the Faero Islands, San Marino and Luxembourg.

I suppose I could add the former Yugoslav republics, the former USSR republics, and Slovakia but it doesn't seem quite fair.

These really are awful statistics. In fact, out of the British and Irish teams, only NI and ROI can really be proud of their records.

--------------------
M Barnier

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
ADDENDUM: Looking forward, I'm expecting Argentina, Germany and Bosnia to win today. I thought Bosnia was very impressive in a first-up loss. Mind you, I thought the same about England...

You're 1 for 3. Bosnia got robbed, though in fact Nigeria did look like the better team today. The Germany/Ghana draw was the best possible result for the US, so I'm happy. And Argentina won without seeming very impressive, apart from Messi. This has been a very strange Cup, upsets all over.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This is presumably due to the climatic difference.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Except that the climate in the southern part of Brazil is really quite comfortable for Europeans, so if you want to make that argument you should probably try to correlate the results with the place in which the games are played. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Perhaps a larger number of "home" fans too.

--------------------
M Barnier

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't think that's quite fair. My view is that hitting the target requires a) accuracy and b) positioning. A huge number of Lineker's goals looked like simple tap-ins or point-blank headers. While Lineker probably had better service than most (Beardsley, Barnes, Waddle, Hoddle etc) he made it look easy, and Rooney sometimes does too.

Yes. Over the years I have noticed that when the ball comes loose in the penalty box (e.g. after a corner), it's often a few particular strikers who knock it in from close range for a goal. They seem to have (a) a better ability than most to anticipate where the ball might go, and thus a better chance to be in right place at the right time (b) slightly quicker reactions than most that enable them to get to it first.

Klose's goal yesterday was a good example. Lineker was a classic example: I'm guessing that 3/4 of his goals came from close range, but there were an awful lot of them. (And that's not counting penalties.) Suarez is another. Romario of the old Brazil also springs to mind.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
quote:

You're 1 for 3. Bosnia got robbed, though in fact Nigeria did look like the better team today. The Germany/Ghana draw was the best possible result for the US, so I'm happy. And Argentina won without seeming very impressive, apart from Messi. This has been a very strange Cup, upsets all over.
This was probably my least favourite day of the Cup so far, viewing-wise. Maybe I'm just getting tired from all the odd hours (although on the weekend I can spread it out more sensibly), or maybe it really was a poor day.

Iran seems, out of the teams committed to defence, to be one of the better ones at actually doing it. But it made for a thoroughly dull game against Argentina who didn't seem to have any great ideas until the world's best player proved why he's rated as the world's best player.

Germany-Ghana was HALF dull. They were in very hot conditions. You would have thought that would mean they were all worn out in the second half, but instead they all spent the first half doing nothing much so they had plenty of energy for the second.

And yeah, Bosnia-Nigeria was rather ruined for me by the wrongly disallowed goal. One can only speculate what the shape of the game would have been had Bosnia been 1-0 up, but they couldn't put it together in the second half when they really needed to. Nigeria looked more dangerous.

EDIT: Don't have much idea about the next day's games. I'm expecting Algeria to park themselves in defence against South Korea. Portugal-USA will depend on which version of Portugal turns up. Belgium-Russia... Belgium is my second team (my first, really, as Australia never used to make the finals) but they were damn patchy the first game.

[ 22. June 2014, 12:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Don't have much idea about the next day's games. I'm expecting Algeria to park themselves in defence against South Korea. Portugal-USA will depend on which version of Portugal turns up. Belgium-Russia... Belgium is my second team (my first, really, as Australia never used to make the finals) but they were damn patchy the first game.

Yes, I'm also interested to see if Belgium can live up to their billing as tournament dark horses after struggling past Algeria. USA-Portugal could well be fun but I think I'll give the other game a miss...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Germany/Ghana draw was the best possible result for the US, so I'm happy.

Is it? I thought it would be better for Germany to win so Ghana would not get any points and the US would have less competition for being the second team to go through to the next round.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Much as I love England, I hate Italy worse for reasons stated earlier. Roy Hodgson, aka Freddie F*&^up is undeserving of his position! I believe, even if Italy had won, that England would have floundered!

I went grocery shopping an hour ago and came back to the house just in time to see the goal by the young man from Belgium. I am happy: I have no friends in Russia

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SAlgeria are already 3-0 up and it is not half time yet - so how much difference does goal difference make ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Don't have much idea about the next day's games. I'm expecting Algeria to park themselves in defence against South Korea. Portugal-USA will depend on which version of Portugal turns up. Belgium-Russia... Belgium is my second team (my first, really, as Australia never used to make the finals) but they were damn patchy the first game.

Yes, I'm also interested to see if Belgium can live up to their billing as tournament dark horses after struggling past Algeria. USA-Portugal could well be fun but I think I'll give the other game a miss...
I hope you didn't give Korea-Algeria a miss!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh heh, I was half watching it while doing some work and folding up some laundry! Cracking job by Algeria; apparently the first African team to score 4 goals in a World Cup game.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

1. Are Belgium going to be one of those teams that keeps doing just enough to win? Such a course has an honourable history, but they didn't exactly inspire confidence. A couple of players suddenly came to life after 85 minutes.

2. Algeria proved me wrong in a most emphatic fashion. That bore little resemblance to either the 2010 efforts or their first match this time around!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Hmmm, draw ...

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there anyone here who could explain the USA's chances at advancing to the next round? Win over Ghana, tie with Portugal, and Germany up next.

--------------------
I need a quote.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is an explanation through the match against Germany.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going in, I said I'd be satisfied with a draw. I wasn't satisfied with that draw. Not that USA played badly at all, but there were too many sloppy passes in the midfield, and Cameron completely losing the plot five minutes in. I suppose they were all so fixated on Ronaldo that they forgot there were other forwards...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

quote:
Going in, I said I'd be satisfied with a draw. I wasn't satisfied with that draw. Not that USA played badly at all, but there were too many sloppy passes in the midfield, and Cameron completely losing the plot five minutes in. I suppose they were all so fixated on Ronaldo that they forgot there were other forwards...

A draw is fine. Beggars can't be choosers.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Here is an explanation through the match against Germany.

Thank you.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
1. Are Belgium going to be one of those teams that keeps doing just enough to win? Such a course has an honourable history, but they didn't exactly inspire confidence. A couple of players suddenly came to life after 85 minutes.

Given how young their team is, I would turn it around and say it's a mark in their favour that they're able to pull something out when it really matters. They stay composed under pressure.

--------------------
Brian Clough

orfeo

# 13878

Back here having finally watched USA-Portugal.

Goodness me. What a gripping match. USA played superbly at times, and in my view they outplayed Portugal for large sections of the match. Created some really nice chances... how important did that goal-line clearance from Portugal end up being?

Portugal came back hard once it was 1-1, though.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Also, thoughts for 'tomorrow' (adjust according to your time zone):

Group B: Well, it's not entirely academic. I'm thinking Netherlands may edge Chile. And Spain will suffer the ultimate humiliation by drawing with the lowest ranked team in the competition. [Big Grin]

Group A: Brazil will win, but they better do it handsomely to justify top position in the group given that Mexico should be ahead of them on goal difference after being robbed of 2 goals at the start of the tournament. I think Mexico will be too good for Croatia.

[ 23. June 2014, 12:07: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate the US. I was ecstatic when Portugal got the equalizer.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I was cheering for the US. Not only did I think they played better, but Ronaldo has spent 2 matches being both surly and near useless. He can normally get away with surly by dominating a game, but he basically turned up for 5 seconds, did the perfect cross and there's your equaliser.

One of the commentators here observed that part of Portugal's problem is that Ronaldo is such a dominant personality, he's constantly asking for the ball and his team mates pass it to him even when that's not the best option, because he'll throw a hissy fit if he doesn't get it.

[ 23. June 2014, 13:49: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
I hate the US. I was ecstatic when Portugal got the equalizer.

Do you hate the entire country or just the US men's soccer team?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When did Patrick Steward start playing for the Netherlands?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016