homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Words that would have changed history (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Words that would have changed history
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"C'mon, Hef. Why would you wanna show undressed women in a magazine? You're taking all the magic and mystery out of it."
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Are you sure that we want to put all of these epistles in the canon?"

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
"Are you sure that we want to put all of these epistles in the canon?"

"And we definitely don't need that Revelation one. I mean. Seriously. [Roll Eyes] "

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure Adolf, we have a place for you in the Art Academy.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You want me to climb a mountain to bring down some stone tablets full of rules? You want us to have rules you just send me the tablets in the mail!"

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Of course you can borrow Shirley Temple to star in The Wizard of Oz, My Meyer."

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"So you want my character to REGENERATE? Just replace Will with another actor? They will never accept that - we will have to just finish the series."

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"... I am grateful to my brother, the Duke of York, and to Mr Baldwin, for their wise counsel over these last months and I announce to you all, now, that I have ended my friendship with Mrs Wallis Simpson and henceforth all my efforts and actions will be devoted to the service of this realm and the empire."

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Dear Sirs:

On behalf of my nine companions and myself, I'd like to say that we are totally appalled at the decline in moral standards seen in this community. What sort of example are we setting for our children?

Sncerely yours,

Disgusted in Sodom and Gomorrah

[ 31. January 2014, 13:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Watson, come here. I want you . . . to take this silly invention of mine and throw it in the trash. The very idea, talking to people over an electric wire. Rubbish!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Sure Adolf, we have a place for you in the Art Academy.

Ahem! I think we did that one.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Excuse me, Siddhartha, would you mind moving? We have orders to chop down this tree."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"First you see it making the goats act funny, then you eat the beans, and then—then!—you waste perfectly good water boiling them, only to make it brown and bitter? You woke me up for this?"

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Risk family and reputation by becoming an unmarried mother? No thanks. Don't flap those wings too hard on your way out."

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hello, this is the White Star Line procurement office. I'd like to order some lifeboats."

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mary, Joseph, it's a girl."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I have a dream ... but I don't want to talk about that now."

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"No one cares what computers look like Mr Jobs - why not go into a more design aware field like cigarette packet branding."

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Marylebone Cricket Club is please to announce that its team to tour Australia and New Zealand in the winter of 1932-1933 will be captained by Mr G.O. Allen, with Mr D.R. Jardine vice-captain."

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It was just a dream, Muhammad. Now come on, these shipments came in while you were away, and the business isn't going to run itself."
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"John, don't stop for any more autographs - let's have the car take us right up to the front door of the Dakota."

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All the kingdoms of the world? Ok, I'm sold. Got any incense?"

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Wilbur, these flying machines are such a waste of time. The future clearly lies in building better bicycles".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Houston, this place looks totally inhospitable. We're turning back."

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Comrade Castro, this is Comrade Krushchev. President Kennedy will never invade your country after the Bay of Pigs fiasco, so the bombers and missiles will be fine".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A symphony that has voices join the orchestra in the fourth movement? Interesting idea, but I can't hear a blessed thing anymore, you know, so I'd never even dream of trying such a thing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, none of the posh gits in the big house on the hill are going to be interested in a lunch or even a snack that's a simple piece of cheese clapped between two slices of bread and a pickled onion on the side. Posh gits eat posh food and I've heard My Lord Sandwich likes his venison pasties. Now finish your lunch and get on with the work, we got to finish ploughing this field before sunset.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A wireless with pictures, eh, Mr. Baird? People will never have the time to sit down and look at that".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

"In all my time as Magistrate here in Salem, I have never heard such nonsense. Witchcraft, indeed! Case dismissed."

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Benjamin, stop playing with those silly jars! There's a thunderstorm on - you might get struck by lightning if you haven't already caught pneumonia, look how wet you are. Put them away and come indoors.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Write them down? Don't be silly. No one in Stratford-on-Avon can read anyway. I'll just keep acting, if you don't mind.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impale my enemies? Do you think I'm some kind of monster?

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Soylent Green is soya!"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

This round thing rolls quite nicely, but you can't really control it, and it's going to be useless for transporting anything because you can't balance anything on it. "Wheel" is a pretty stupid name anyway.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Oh, Percy, don't be a silly boy. Who would read a novel about a man constructed from dead body parts?

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Oh, that would be me, pass me a stone someone'

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amanda B R Since Frankenstein was written by Mary Shelley I'm not sure I follow your post... [Confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It still works if you take the POV that Shelley was trying to encourage her to get her novel published.

"It's out of the question, Mr Stephenson. It could never work. People die if they have to travel at any speed greater than 21 miles an hour."

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

"And David slung his stone, and it bounced off Goliaths stomach. Then Goliath said 'Now you've made me really angry'"

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care if he's a Knight of the Realm and that Peter Pears is one of the most highly regarded musicians in all England. The fact is that homosexuality is against the law and I want you to send somebody to arrest Sir Benjamin Britten.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

He may be gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide but he happened to crack the Enigma Code. We are not prosecuting. End of.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I don't care, Pete - you damage that guitar and you are out.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I don't care if she can cook, nobody with a voice like that is going to make it on TV!"

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

"But Janet Leigh is a huge star. You can't kill her off halfway through the film - people will walk out."

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Helen has what? After all I've given her? Fine! She can damn well stay in Troy as far as I'm concerned. I don't want her back, and don't ever mention her name to me again."
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Guess you're right Paul, Pete is a better drummer".

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

What with that pope not seeming to like me, and problems with the wives, I think I will let Ireland have total independence. Let them sort their own problems out.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

"OK, seeing as you asked so nicely, I'll move to the 'black' end of the bus"

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Dear Theophilus, I was going to write you a long account of it all, but I decided it would take far too long and didn’t want to bore you, so I’m sending you this book of comic verse which I’m sure you’ll like much better."
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--Yes, Abigail, I *will* "remember the ladies"
in drawing up the papers for our new country.

--Sally, I'm going to free all my slaves and
give them a good start on a new life. Most of
all, I'm freeing you and our children. You're
free to stay or go. But...will you marry me?

--Sorry, Mrs. Keller, but your daughter's
condition is hopeless.

--Mr. Clemens, Tom and Huck are juvenile
delinquents! I will not publish a book that
encourages misbehavior.

--Guide two clueless white guys across the
country? Where I've never been? While I'm
pregnant??? Sorry, I've got to wash my hair.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016