homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » (RPG) WRITES & WRONGS Recruitment: The Kavetseki Incident (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: (RPG) WRITES & WRONGS Recruitment: The Kavetseki Incident
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I know Ariston would definitely like to participate, and I have pm'd Curiosity Killed and Curious Kitten to see if they would like to take part - as they missed out last time.

I think they might be afk for the next few days. See the Scotland thread.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[crosspost reply to Eliab]

Yes please. I would reimagine your perk as a gift with the same downside - but instead of a plus to your roll, you get a critical success if you roll 17 or over.

I'm not sure I get it - I will PM so as not to derail the general game thread.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for the help and suggestions, DT.

I would like a trick coin for John’s Special Item. When tossed with secret trickiness this would always come up will the called side- either heads or tails.

I think Potentials could be like this, off 18 points:

Excellent Wits
Okay Readiness
Excellent Inspiration
Poor Toughness
Weak Elan
Poor Spryness

But I may have got all that arse-about-tit. Please advise.

Skills to include:

Conjuring tricks and illusions (Wits)
Insomnia (only needs three hours sleep per day) (Readiness)
Vast knowledge of the medicinal properties of botanic life (Wits)
The gab (ability to convince) (Inspiration)
Surgery (Inspiration)

Open to suggestions on other skills...

Gift of Empathic sense- the ability to read the thoughts of others- to be determined by GM.

Equipment

Shoulder bag containing:
Materia medica of dried crushed herbs, phials of oils and potions
Fine leather wallet of surgical instruments
Pouch of field dressings

I’d like to roleplay the character as a highly self-assured, charming and charismatic man who knows how to talk his way out of (and into) the most compromising positions. Something of a maverick, he can confound the sharpest players with his trickery, and seduce all with his warmth and humour. His ability to gain others’ confidence comes from his natural and unnatural empathy, and facilitates his genuine and great skill and knowledge as a medicine man.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I make that 9 characters proposed so far, with two of those possibly being co-run.

I am aware that Jay-Em and JFH are not sure if they'll join.

That sounds like the games on track to be pretty full [Smile]

Will watch with interest and think I would be willing and able to cover a character if needed. Or any other temporary interactions.

Quite happy for Testwe to be developed in aside comments (or removed from Eliab's backstory, etc..) or as a NPC.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Thank you for the help and suggestions, DT.

I would like a trick coin for John’s Special Item. When tossed with secret trickiness this would always come up will the called side- either heads or tails.

Thats fine.

(However, potentials are now at 17 pt and your elan is useless when you want to be charming and confident.)

I suggest the following:

Excellent Wits
Weak Readiness
Useless Inspiration
Useless Toughness
Excellent Elan
Good Spryness

Skills as follows

Conjuring tricks and illusions (Spryness)
The gab (ability to convince) (Elan)
Surgery (Spryness)
Disguise (Elan)**
Understand Ancient Languages (Wits)
Use Scalpel as Weapon (Toughness)

(I have removed insomnia because it is not a skill, as in you don't train to get insomnia. Spryness includes dexterity/finesse which is why I have rejigged this way. I have given you ancient languages cos you have studied old books to expand your medical knowledge.)

Gift of Empathic sense- the ability to read the thoughts of others- on a roll of 17 or above.

You should probably add a selection of minor props to his equipment.

**I figure if you trick too many folk with your coin, you may need to get out of town without being spotted.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Jay-Em, we'll run this as if Testwe's peregrination never happened - or it will have plausibility issues - but he may turn up as an NPC, by way of homage [Smile]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it looks like Jetse gets to make another appearance after all!

Guardian Jetse Vos, formerly of the Mystery, Fellowship, and Company of Merchant Adventurers in the Canton of Ijzerhaven, Duchy of Joux and Mørkborg Palatinate.

Brief Physical Description:

While not especially tall, Jetse is still an absolute bear of a man, seemingly occupying the whole of any room he walks into. His black hair and moustache are turning grey at the corners, and his face, hands, and arms show the signs of long exposure to the elements, as well as a few fights that could have perhaps gone better for him. Whatever caused that necrotic wound, now a nasty scar, on his left arm couldn't have been even remotely friendly. Yet somehow, through his many campaigns on land, sea, and underground, Jetse survived.

Jetse is generally gruff and curt, sometimes bordering on rude. Being around him is slightly frightening—it's clear that he's watching you, judging your actions, determining how likely you are to attack him, and, if you are fool enough to try, how he's going to make you very much regret it. Something about being around a gruff, heavily armed, hypervigilant, and not especially friendly looking (ex?) mercenary who seems to be quite capable of landing a blow exactly where it would hurt the most tends to make people shy away

His arms and equipment are as unusual for these parts; perhaps, in the fjords, cold, and darkness of the far south, they might be more common, but here, their strange design stands out, especially the sun emblem on his breastplate. Why would a soldier from Joux wear that device? Isn't the Duchy supposed to be underground?

Potentials:
(Ranked Useless / Weak / OK / Good / Excellent, you have 18 points to buy ranks at 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 points cost respectively)
OK Wits
Good Spryness
Useless Elan
Useless Inspiration
Excellent Toughness
Good Readiness
(Rolls for these will be Ridiculously Easy (2-20) / Easy (5-20) / OK (10-20) / Hard (15-20) / Ridiculously Hard (20) on a D20 as advised by GM)

Skills
Intimidate (Toughness)
Ride (Wits)
Climb (Spryness)
Melee Weapon Proficiency (Toughness, background skill)
Ranged Weapon Proficiency (Spryness, background skill)
Tactics (Wits, background skill)
Spot Trouble (Readiness)

Perk: The Human Wall—Sometimes, it's good to be an imposing, hulking presence. In any fight, you can choose that all opponents attack you - but the first wound you are dealt has no effect.

Special item / Transformation: Finely Crafted Breastplate. Though battered and repaired, a coat of arms depicting a three-peaked mountain over a field (a plain, or perhaps a lake?), with a sunburst design in the chief of the shield, is still visible, etched above the front of his right shoulder (-1 to opponents’ attack rolls).

Please list equipment you acquire, with any bonuses it may give…

Halberd (pole weapon, slashing/piercing, hook can be used to disarm or trip opponents, effective against charging and mounted enemies). The blades and haft of this fearsome looking poleaxe are jet black (+1 to combat roll).
Short sword (bladed weapon, slashing). Jetse's sidearm, rather than being straight, has a series of waves in the blade and a figure eight for a crossguard, and, like his halberd, is also black (+1 to combat roll).
Longbow and 20 arrows (+1 to combat roll).
Helmet. Both the breastplate and helmet are made out of a strange metal that seem more like pale and faded shadows than glittering steel. Or maybe they just need a good polish before the next parade. A really good polish.
Heavy oilskin cloak. Wherever Jetse's been, it doesn't seem like it was especially warm or dry.
Mundane equipment: pack with bedroll, waterskin, cloth sack, flint & steel, whetstone, and nigh-unpalatable dwarf bread of unknown age for very dire emergencies (starvation might be preferable, actually).
Small sun charm—some kind of holy symbol, or just a good luck token.
Clay sea-pipe
Leather breeches and gloves, for riding.
Wearing: sturdy leather boots, puffy breeches.

[ 27. May 2014, 23:54: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Player Name: Hart

Character Name: Dorainen

Physical Description: Dorainen is a young male water elf, though most humans have a hard time telling different types of elves apart (a phenomenon that baffles elves to whom it's entirely obvious). Most humans would peg him at around 18 by his looks, but he has actually lived through 50 winters. He is tall with a slender yet athletic build by human standards, but is actually rather short and stocky by his own race's. His pale blue robes appear light and insubstantial, but are in fact made of an advanced magical fabric with advantages detailed below.

Some background: Dorainen has lived his whole life in a small teyv (or commune) of water elves, rather segregated even from other elves, yet alone other races. As he turns of age, he is required to live a full year outside of the teyv. While most water elves go only a small social distance from their upbringing (often living with elves of the mountains), Dorainen has long been fascinated by the humans he has read about in books and desires to spend his year living among them. Who knows, it may even be longer? Dorainen is well-trained in survival skills both natural and magical, but is very socially naive.

Wits: Week
Readiness: OK
Inspiration: Excellent
Toughness: OK
Elan: Useless
Spryness: Good

Skills

• Healing magic (Inspiration)
  • Extra-sensory perception (Inspiration): the ability to see through walls, hear conversations miles away, etc, no mind reading.
  • Water navigation (Spryness): swimming, rowing, sailing; if it involves moving through water, Dorainen's mastered it
  • Tool repair (Spryness)
  • Light weapons (toughness)
  • Longbow (toughness)
  • Tracking (readiness): Dorainen can identify the tracks of various creatures, make guesses as to what kind of person would have left what kind of footprints and when and how, etc.

Gift: Dorainen feels most at home in water, and gains +1 to any throw taken while in water. [Not sure if this is too perk-y].

Special Item: Sown by elven seamstresses, while his robes appear flimsy, they automatically adapt to provide comfort in any climate. They also function as light armor. If Dorainen while wearing them rolls "lose" in combat, he can roll another D20 and, with >10, spawns instead of losing. (The idea being that they help defend him, ie. make him less likely to die, but don't make him any more effective an attacker).

Equipment:

Long-bow. Gives the ability to make one distance attack when narratively plausible. This has no chance of spawning or losing, but will either win (with the same probability as if it were a normal attack) or miss (and have no effect).
Hunting knife. +1 on combat.
Harpoon. Used in aquatic combat only. +1 on combat (in addition to the +1 for being aquatic)
Studia Humana. A classic elven textbook on humans. While helpful on important questions, it is often amusingly out dated and quaint on basic social mores.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Sown by elven seamstresses...

Elves grow their robes?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops, of course that should be (since deadpan doesn't come across in writing):

quote:
Sown by elven seamstresses...

Elves grow their robes? [Biased]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Player: Autenrieth Road

Character Name: Frithwynne

Brief Physical Description: Frithwynne is somewhat muddy and scuffed, with a drawn face and a slight build.

Background: Frithwynne is the only child of a shepherd. She grew up herding sheep, training sheep dogs, and escaping to explore a shallow system of caves whenever she felt she could leave the sheep dog alone to mind the sheep (which was often). Her parents died when Frithwynne was 17, leaving a mountain of debts which resulted in the loss of their holding, leaving Frithwynne with no social place except what she could cobble together by her wits. She is now 26.

Potentials:
(Ranked Useless / Weak / OK / Good / Excellent, you have 18 points to buy ranks at 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 points cost respectively)

Good Wits
Excellent Readiness
Good Inspiration
Weak Toughness
Useless Elan
Weak Spryness
(Rolls for these will be Ridiculously Easy (2-20) / Easy (5-20) / OK (10-20) / Hard (15-20) / Ridiculously Hard (20) on a D20 as advised by GM)

Skills
(Each skill is tied to a specific potential, to start with, no more than two skills can be associated with any single potential.)

Navigation (Wits)
Improvised weapons (Wits) - this will allow you to use any plausible non-weapon thing you find as a weapon, or clubs as weapons but not swords, axes or bows etc
Night Vision (Readiness)
Find Hidden (Readiness)
Intuition (Inspiration)
Animal command (Inspiration)
Climb (Spryness)

Gift: Frithwynne can navigate mazes

Special item / Transformation: Silver chalice of Inspiration (when gazed into, increases Inspiration to Excellent, x1 per week)

Please list equipment you acquire, with any bonuses it may give:

Well made boots, exceptionally soft yet sturdy. If you ask her how she got them, Frithwynne will say "barter," with a look and a tone which say "don't ask."

Walking staff

Knapsack, with a few odds and ends: a tin cup, a thimble, a river-smoothed stone, a red ribbon (when worn, +1 to roll for Elan), a knitted shawl, three square white cloths wrapped around blue velvet cloth wrapped around silver chalice

Small knife and waterskin on a belt

[ 28. May 2014, 05:21: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I think that's Frithwynne finalized, subject to DT approval of the following: I changed her a bit: gave her Excellent Readiness, dropping Toughness and Spryness to Weak to get the points for Readiness.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

AR that is fine.

Ariston that character is fine.

Hart, I think your character is fine - but you need a different gift. How about the ability to breathe underwater ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yorick & IngoB, would you be happy to run John Goode together ?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yorick & IngoB, would you be happy to run John Goode together ?

No, sorry. I don't really want to play a medical doctor. I'll try to post something when I finish travelling.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Hart, I think your character is fine - but you need a different gift. How about the ability to breathe underwater ?

Sure, that works.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Congratulations you have become a plot hook [Two face]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If anyone else would like to run John Goode with me, I'd be glad to have their input on the remaining details of his character description, etc.

Otherwise, I will finalise his character details in the next day or so.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
I make that 9 characters proposed so far, with two of those possibly being co-run.

I am aware that Jay-Em and JFH are not sure if they'll join. We have Yorick, Net Spinster, IngoB and Anti-social Alto considering if they'd like to co-run.

I know Ariston would definitely like to participate, and I have pm'd Curiosity Killed and Curious Kitten to see if they would like to take part - as they missed out last time.

Absolutely and completely the maximum number of characters I am prepared to try to run with is 16 (says she in an insanely optimistic manner). For a longer campaign like this, it does mean that if someone's away for a day or two the action won't stall - (I am afraid they'll have to just be laid up with a twisted ankle or something.)

Sooo

Characters + players so far
  • Guriania - Eliab (solo)
  • Jerthro - Gwai (solo)
  • Clawdine - Banner Lady (solo)
  • Brandon - Kelly Alves (solo)
  • Daniel - Dafyd (solo)
  • Dorainen - Hart (solo)
  • Frithwynne - Autenreith Road (solo)
  • John Goode - Yorick + ? ( ? communal)
  • Mary Drake - Net Spinster + ? ( ? communal)
  • Jetse - Ariston (solo)

Probable players in waiting
  • IngoB ( ? Joint run a character )
  • Anti-social Alto ( ? Joint run or solo)
  • Curiosity Killed ?
  • Curious kitten ?
  • JFH ?

[ 28. May 2014, 20:01: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Don't know when you were planning on getting started, but I should let you know that I have some travel next week. Nothing that should prevent me from reading and posting once a day, but I might not be able to be super active beyond that.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am also happy to run a communal character if anyone wants to join in with me. (Crones unite!)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK- here is my character (with support from Doublethink- thank you!) I'm happy to run it jointly with anyone who asks.

Player: Antisocial Alto

Character Name: Sr. Aethelreda

Description: Aethelreda (plain ol' European human female) is a nun in her late twenties. She's stocky, dark-haired and dull-looking, but fairly bright- though blunt and graceless- to talk to.

Potentials:
Wits- 4 (Good)
Readiness – 3 (OK)
Inspiration – 4 (Good)
Toughness – 4 (Good)
Elan – 1 (Useless)
Spryness – 2 (Weak)

Skills:
Beekeeping (Wits)
Mercer's knowledge (Wits) – Thanks to her family's background in commerce, Aethelreda knows both how to evaluate and manage the group's resources and how to cook the books.
Music (Inspiration) – can sing Gregorian chant and play stringed instruments
Forgery (Spryness) - Not great at this but can do it
Prophecy (Inspiration) – She is very convincing, and sometimes right
Hidden Weapon (Toughness) - meat knife & rosary
Find Hidden (Readiness)

Gift: Time Sense - always knows what time of the day or night it is, even if awakened suddenly, because of being drilled through the Daily Office every day of her adult life.

Special Item: a Book of Hours - can ask the saints for advice and can increase her Inspiration or her Wits by one rank x1 per week.

Weapons: a small meat knife; a rosary which can be used as a garrotte

Other equipment: a nun's habit; a small sewing/darning basket; a sturdy walking stick; quills, ink and parchment; a large jar of honey and comb; a beekeeper's headpiece and veil; a priest's vestments; a set of Communion vessels

Backstory: The daughter of a shrewd, social-climbing wool merchant, Aethelreda was sent to the convent in her teens when it became clear that no one of rank would take her off her father's hands for a bride-price he was willing to pay. Although she wasn't a particularly good nun either- not being naturally pious or charitable- she did pick up useful knowledge while in the convent. She was tried out in several areas as a novice and eventually settled in as apprentice to the convent's beekeeper.

Why did she leave the convent suddenly, by night, after ten years in residence? Why does her pack contain several items which can't possibly belong to her? Is she even a real nun anymore? None of your business, she snaps.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Characters + players so far
  • Gunriana - Eliab (solo)
  • Jerthro - Gwai (solo)
  • Crazy Clawdine - Banner Lady + ? ( ? communal)
  • Brandon - Kelly Alves (solo)
  • Daniel Van Adescant - Dafyd (solo)
  • Dorainen - Hart (solo)
  • Frithwynne - Autenreith Road (solo)
  • John Goode - Yorick + ? ( ? communal)
  • Mary Drake - Net Spinster + ? ( ? communal)
  • Guardian Jetse Vos - Ariston (solo)
  • Sr Aethelreda - Antisocial Alto + ? ( ? Communal)

Probable players in waiting
  • IngoB ( ? Joint run a character )
  • Curiosity Killed ?
  • Curious kitten ?
  • JFH ?

So currently 11 characters with upto four slots for potential co-running - crone, mysterious nun, rougish doctor & possibly boat-handlingly widow. If anyone currently reviving a character from a previous campaign, would like to switch to one of the available shared characters, its not too late to do so.

[ 29. May 2014, 07:10: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Player: IngoB

Character Name: Jack Gallows

Brief Physical Description
Jack is in his mid twenties, somewhat shorter than average height for a man and is of slight but wiry build. His most striking feature is his thick shock of red hair, which however is usually covered by a stylish black felt tricorne. He has a fine, long face with green eyes and a slightly broad nose, and seems friendly with a smile playing around his lips. His skin is pale but healthy, and his hand are thin but with long fingers. He wears black breeches with gray stockings and black leather shoes with simple buckles, a white linen shirt barely visible under a black cravat and a dark purple waistcoat, as well as a knee-length black coat. His clothes are of good make with nice trimmings, and would not be out of place for a visit to the opera. However, the cloth and materials are sturdy and will serve for a brisk walk through the countryside.

Potentials
  • Wits: 1 (Useless)
  • Readiness 4 (Good)
  • Inspiration 1 (Useless)
  • Toughness: 3 (OK)
  • Elan: 4 (Good)
  • Spryness: 5 (Excellent)

Skills
  • Light Weapons (T): Can use all kinds of light weapons, in particular knives.
  • Burgle / pick locks (S): Knows how to break and enter, including detecting and disarming traps/alarms and picking locks.
  • Pickpocket (S): Has an uncanny ability to steal things off people unnoticed, even right before their eyes.
  • Ambush (R): Can hide very well, in particular with the intent to jump someone from the shadows.
  • Gauge (R): Can weigh up people and social situations. Who is the boss? Who is a sucker? Are they friendly? Who is bluffing? Etc.
  • Gamble (E): Knows many games of skill and chance, and is adept at winning them - helping luck along if need be.
  • Dance (E): Is an excellent pair and group dancer, both in following standard patterns and improvising.

Gift
Backstab: If hidden (usually via a prior ambush throw, though possibly by circumstance), can carry out a surprise attack that will end either in an instant kill of opponent or in a successful flight out of reach (binary outcome, throw threshold set by GM).

Special item
Magic "three shells and a pea" set: Unless countered by other magic before starting to play, people will get sucked into this game and wager something valuable they own/have control over. No matter how perceptive they may be naturally, they will loose and hand over their stake - if grudgingly. (Can be used once a week. Other player / NPC can negotiate stake, but must wager something of value / importance.)

Equipment
  • A sheathed dagger is strapped to his right side, out of sight under the coat. (Adds +1 to combat rolls.)
  • He carries a leather satchel, which has both handles and a carry strap. In it he carries items for personal grooming, pen and paper, a tobacco twist and various other small items. But in particular it contains the following three things:
  • A reed stem pipe with a glazed brown clay bowl.
  • A set of lock picks and other tools (strangely shaped pliers etc.) wrapped in leather. (If applied to a lock or trap, adds +2 to throw.)
  • A short crowbar. (If applied to breaking open doors and the like, throw is against Spryness rather than Toughness.)
  • A set of games, in particular several sets of cards, dice, and a backgammon board. (If people agree to play with his cards or dice, +2 on his throws since they are marked/loaded.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Player name: Yorick

Character name: John Goode

Physical description: 45 years old, 5’10’ tall, slim and wiry with a slightly stooped posture, deep brown eyes and an easy oblique smile, greying short-cropped hair, fine but practical travel clothes, faintly smelling of soap, meticulously clean finger nails. His voice is surprisingly deep and smooth, and speech highly articulate. With a constant smile about his eyes, he holds his correspondent by looking deeply and steadily into theirs.

Wits Excellent
Readiness Weak
Inspiration Useless
Toughness Useless
Elan Excellent
Spryness Good

Skills:
Conjuring tricks and illusions (Spryness)

The gab (ability to convince) (Elan)

Surgery (Spryness)

Disguise (Elan)

Understand Ancient Languages (Wits)

Use Scalpel as Weapon (Toughness)

Gift: Empathic sense. The ability to read the thoughts of others- on a roll of 17 or above.

Special Item: Trick coin. When John tosses the coin it always lands his called side up- either heads or tails.

Equipment:
Shoulder bag containing:
Materia medica of dried crushed herbs, phials of oils and potions Fine leather wallet of surgical instruments
Pouch of field dressings
A Hakhdi Instrument of Light. This small plain cylinder of fine steel with a glass sphere on the end can emit a powerful focussed beam of white light. John paid half his fortune to a travelling Alchemist of the North for this most valuable of all his possessions.

Background:
John is a self-assured and attractive man who can effortlessly talk his way out of (and into) the most compromising positions. A true genius of the physic, he has gained fame and fortune as surgeon to the highest and mightiest in the kingdom. His name carries a half-feared reputation for bringing back those from the very doors of death.
Urbane and charming he has taken many lovers, and can as easily befriend a beggar as a king, but John is bored of court life with all its sycophancy and treachery and he seeks the honest danger of the wild road.
John sleeps for only two or three hours per day, though often takes naps in the afternoon. After dull years of study in the Ancient Languages and Practice of Physic he absconded for three winters to the perpetual dimness and stench of the great Souq of Kashlaan, where he was tutored in illusion and trickery by a grand Mokhta. On his return to civilisation, he began a secret double life- in daytime rising to become the most illustrious medic of his age, and in disguise during the small hours of the night amongst the murderous backstreets and filthy taverns, seeking thrills and spills in the gambling dens. With a flawless sleight of hand, he dispossesses gangs of thieves of their ill-gained silver, the addictive snag being to escape with his life by his charm and wits. With disdain, he then dumps his illicit winnings in a grimy corner of some pauper’s hovel before the first cockerel crows.

[NB. Sorry if there is some similarity with IngoB's character with regards to the gambling-tricksy thing. I'd been developing this side of my character for a day or two but hadn't managed to post the above yet. Happy to re-invent if required.]

[ 29. May 2014, 11:40: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I don't see the trickery overlap as a problem, Yorick. It's less overlap than I had in the trial run with two other fighter/warrior types. I think it might be great for a shared backstory (we may know each other already from meeting frequently in gambling dens) and for side stories during the campaign (we can play card / dice games with each other, perhaps have a kind of skill rivalry).

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Okay, that's great. Perhaps we may have met before and failed to trick each other! Thanks, IngoB.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

That character is fine IngoB.

(I get the impression that this campaign will probably end up running without any communal characters - but I have no issue with that.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(FYI that will be Mother Aethelreda rather than Sister Aethelreda.)

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I don't understand how Jack Gallows' magic shell game Special Item and its coercive powers interacts with the principle of not narrating another player's character. Can someone clarify?

[ 29. May 2014, 18:14: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
(I get the impression that this campaign will probably end up running without any communal characters - but I have no issue with that.)

I agree. I guess it's a bit like dating now, I hadn't really considered that.

My suggestion would be to next time collect the names of all people who want to play, set a fixed number of empty slots, and then assign multiple people to slots simply by chance. Then let each group agree on one in game character among themselves.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I don't understand how Jack Gallows' magic shell game Special Item and its coercive powers interacts with the principle of not narrating another player's character. Can someone clarify?

That will become clear after the game begins - until then it is a secret.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:

I think it's interesting to note that a fair few people were opening to someone sharing their character, but no-one wanted to play someone else's. Not a criticism of anyone (I've already said that I'm not particularly interested in sharing).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

OK, thanks DT.

--------------------
Truth

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:

There's a difference between narrating another player's character and having one character limit the action range of another character in game by an action. Let's take a look at the following two statements. (I'm using Ariston and his character Jetse in the following, simply because Jetse has a convenient skill. I do not intend to say anything negative about Ariston with this, and I hope to cause no offence by this!)

If Ariston wrote "Jetse tells Jack to grab the spade and start digging. Immediately Jack obeys, happily, and attacks the ground ferociously with the spade." then Ariston would have taken the control of my character out of my hands. Perhaps I would have liked Jack to ignore Jetse, or even tell him to go to hell. But my side of the story has been taken from me. Ariston would de facto have been playing two characters, his Jetse and my Jack. But only the former belongs to him, the latter is my "property".

However, say in contract Ariston rolls his Intimidation skill against me on meta, and let's assume DT gives his blessings to that and Ariston rolls successfully. Then he could write "Jetse towers over Jack and shouts at him "Get digging this minute.' Scared witless, Jack grabs the shovel and starts digging the hole." In this case, it is Jetse who takes away Jack's freedom, but in the game between the characters. I'm still free to react to this intimidation, for example by posting my an inner monologue by Jack about how he resents Jetse or some such. It is true that my character's actions got constrained, but my ownership of the character was not touched. Rather, this was simply something story-internal happening to my character. It was caused here by Ariston's throw, but it has the same quality as the GM suddenly sending a zombie horde on us, to facing us with a closed door. That also constrains my character's possible actions, but in a story-internal way, not by someone taking over my character as "author".

In practice, all "player against player" action will be constrained by what DT wrote in the second post: "Intra-party Conflict: Tensions may arise between characters from time to time, but this should not be a major a feature of gameplay. This is intended to be a co-operative story." So I do not expect to seriously use this against other players, except perhaps with John Goode, who has a similar item (magic coin) and is also a gambler. And even there it would be more a "practical joke" and "back and forth" sort of thing. I'm mostly intend to use this against NPCs to win important quest items / favours off them... And since it is only a once a week thing, I will probably not waste it for just joking around with players (say winning something off them and then giving it back) . Otherwise I may not have the magic item ready for use when I need it.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I think it's interesting to note that a fair few people were opening to someone sharing their character, but no-one wanted to play someone else's. Not a criticism of anyone (I've already said that I'm not particularly interested in sharing).

What's funny about this is that I would have actually considered sharing your character. I was contemplating a ranger kind of guy anyhow, I like elves, and that it is a water elf was a cool twist I hadn't thought about. (And I note that I thought all this before DT made you a plot hook...) As I've said, it seems a bit like dating to me now. [Biased]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
There's a difference between narrating another player's character and having one character limit the action range of another character in game by an action.

Thanks for explaining. I hadn't realized that there was an option for rolling against other players on a team quest.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It will be extremely rare.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sharing a character is probably only going to appeal to those who are time-poor but interested enough to read this thread. If someone had offered to share a character with me a month back, when I was dipping my toe into RPG waters for the first time, I would have jumped at it. It is time consuming to write up a persona, and then try to work out all the WRITES & WRONGS of it if the concept is entirely new.

Like tandem parachute jumping, it may not be entirely without risk, but the journey together should make for fun.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll admit, I wouldn't mind sharing Jetse (he's not too talkative to begin with—like I mentioned, his character development and backstory is going to be a slow burn by my standards), but, by the same token, I have very definite ideas for his history, past incidents, how he became a soldier, what the significance is of that coat of arms on his armor is, what the deal is with the whole sun symbol thing, how he got that nasty wound, why he doesn't talk much, why he's so far from home, etc. I also know that nobody else is going to see him this way; the images I have of him (e.g., standing in a ship's rigging just before a naval battle starts) aren't what everybody else sees. So letting somebody else run my character is going to involve them developing in ways that I didn't foresee, and that contradict what I thought about them.

Now, I suppose I could send anyone playing him a copy of my mental character notes—assuming, of course, that I could actually write down the 30 or so pages of what I know about him and where he comes from. Anyone who's played mafia with me, especially games I've run, knows that I like to play with world building; Jetse's a citizen of a world I've been building for a while. Am I okay with letting people play with my character? Sure, why not! Letting them play with my world, however…that's a bit different.

It'd also ruin the slowly developing character arc I think he needs, but that's an entirely different matter altogether.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Had a pm from Curiosity Killed, she would definitely like to play - but is currently in Scotland and I am not sure when she gets back.

All things being equal, I would hope to get going on Monday.

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would like to propose a vagrant tinkerer and will come back with more details when I'm not running out of expensive Youth Hostel WiFi?

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Like tandem parachute jumping, it may not be entirely without risk, but the journey together should make for fun.

Indeed, I had expected this to be a nice device for "newbies" to try things out. But I think now that it might be even more scary for them to fear "ruining" someone's character. And if they have to ask the "old hand" about things a lot in order to avoid that, then that seems to negate any sort of advantage from double playing.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
So letting somebody else run my character is going to involve them developing in ways that I didn't foresee, and that contradict what I thought about them.

FWIW, I tend to make stuff up as I go along, relying on good memory and pattern discernment to create coherence after the fact. But still, there are issues of coordination in developing a character jointly, I agree. I'm not sure if it would a disaster or simply add another level of fun complexity.

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
Would like to propose a vagrant tinkerer and will come back with more details when I'm not running out of expensive Youth Hostel WiFi?

Out of the blue (or possibly tangled up in it) Stone's voice was heard, whispering, "Copy-kitten!"

I'm fine with it though, I think I'll leave Stone by the roadside for a while. Still not sure if I'll participate or not, I'll decide tomorrow.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Hey you made it! [Yipee]

(Made it a long time ago, I see. Sorry I didn't welcome you back right away.)

[ 30. May 2014, 19:30: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by JFH:
quote:

Out of the blue (or possibly tangled up in it) Stone's voice was heard, whispering, "Copy-kitten!"

I'm fine with it though, I think I'll leave Stone by the roadside for a while. Still not sure if I'll participate or not, I'll decide tomorrow.

I think you are correct re Stone, given the current character mix, do consider a joint run with someone if regular contribution is going to be difficult.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

JFH and I will play Frithwynne together. We don't plan to sign in and out on the Meta thread; rather, we will trust to inspiration to weave a story together if we are posting in proximity.

--------------------
Truth

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fear Jerthro and I will have to back out. It looks fun, and the people are great, but if this last week is any sample, work's going to be too busy for me to participate properly.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
JFH and I will play Frithwynne together. We don't plan to sign in and out on the Meta thread; rather, we will trust to inspiration to weave a story together if we are posting in proximity.

Cool! [Cool]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I fear Jerthro and I will have to back out. It looks fun, and the people are great, but if this last week is any sample, work's going to be too busy for me to participate properly.

Sad times [Frown] do consider if a joint run on one of the other characters if that would work for you.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016