homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Camera Talk (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Camera Talk
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone played around with a full frame camera? Sony came out with the A7 and A7r but I've been looking at the Canikons too. Not sure whether it's worth the upgrade from my NEX-5T.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've a Canon 5D Mark II, it is full frame.
Yes, Oh my, yes it is worth the upgrade. Extra size means more light gathered for a better tonal range and bigger pixels better low light performance and less noise. Massive difference. Allows for large reproductions as well, should you wish to print them.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been looking through my Project 365 folder wondering whether to have another go and try to do a whole calender year and I noticed one where I had done the post-processing in IrfanView and how quite a few folks from here said they didn't know it. Did anyone download and try using it? I know it is not as versatile as PhotoPaint or Photoshop or LIghtroom but I still think it is a good deal at zero cost.

Comments, anyone?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering about another 365, too. And I haven't tried Irfan - got fairly deep into GIMP.

But I need to organise a new camera because I lost my much loved camera in December (left on the tube, I did fill in the lost property paperwork) - but I'm going to be limited as to what camera I can buy to replace that one - temporary contracts are the pits. I was about to check Amazon sale (I have vouchers as presents).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the cmera loss, CK - that's horrible. I hope you manage to find something good in the sale.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I can't remember what you used to use but I think it was a compact - Canon do a little one called the A1400 which actually has a viewfinder as well as screen - 16 MP and a 5x zoom. Here it is on Amazon.co.uk

I quite fancy one myself when I need a new compact.

[ 29. December 2013, 10:33: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An older version of this - I was dithering over some of the Canons before Christmas. There's this one

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the Canon Powershot SX220. This has the advantage of giving you the ability to set your own shutter speeds, aperture, etc. as you would on a DSLR - though a more limited range - as well as giving you the presets. I never use the presets so I can't say how good they are, but the rest of the camera is good and I like the manual control.

I'm still on 365 (just, I'll carry on for a bit longer but don't want to spend the rest of my life there) so if either of you do decide to start up again do come and say hello.

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PaterMajor has been enjoying photography at high school, which has motivated me to dust off the camera. Developed my first film in thirty-something years. Happy joy [Smile]

Christmas day brought forth a Mamiya C3. Even more giggling joy, but now the question: whether to trade in a dedicated 35mm scanner for something like an Epson V?00, which will take the 120 negatives, or fix up the enlarger.

Has anyone used both?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Pentax and the Mamiya are both sweet - lovely bits of kit, particularly the Mamiya!

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been using Irfanview for years. Once I got Adobe Lightroom, I started using Irfanview mostly as picture viewer, but sometimes in tandem with LR.

As you say, it has fewer features than LR, GIMP, etc., but what it does have is intuitive. It's a great tool for people new to post-processing.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just had a call from the courier! I don't know if it is the camera or the filters - I'm heading up there now!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's the camera!

Of course it will be useless for some time as the battery has to be charged before it can be used - the old model used AA/LR6 which obviated that wait.

It looks VERY cool!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a slow time for a few months on 365 - but I'm back now!

I have lost my phojo completely but am hoping that, sometime soon, quantity of photos will give way to some quality!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost mine too. If I take anything at all, it's simple snapshots, and most of them are too awful to post. I did sign up for the Get Pushed challenge, but kept getting paired up with the same two people and others who didn't post, so it hasn't really worked for me this time.

My Ace membership lasts until Feb so I'll see how things go - if the approach of spring doesn't reinvigorate it may be time to call it a day.

Have fun with the new camera WW. We'll look forward to maybe seeing some of your new shots on 365.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've bought one of the Canon Powershots - the X160. Not due here until into the New Year, so, now do I start 365 with the horrible Samsung I use with the kids, with hope of something nicer coming soon?

I need to sort pictures from Christmas too.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's a nice piece of kit, CK - its predecessor, the SX150, was an excellent camera and I hear this one is better - have fun with it.

No advice from me on the using the Samsung for a few days - will it make you feel better to do 1st January - 31st December?

Your choice.

At the moment I have this page open - do I order it now or closer to pension day?

And which colour? I quite like the purple.

eta: Rs 799 is about eight pounds in UK so not bad value.

[ 31. December 2013, 14:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've done 2 365s, one on 365 and one on Flickr, and neither has been January to December, which I would like to do.

Those little tripods are fun and easy to carry in a pocket.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and as the vendor took my UK credit card one is now on order and should be here by the weekend!

I quite fancy the January to December 365 as it seems to have shape to it, in some unfathomable way; Eccles folks would probably do Advent Sunday to Advent Sunday and most Muslims would only need to do a Project 354! I already have tentative plans for tomorrow's shot but something else may turn up after Midnight Mass or on the way home.

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of curiosity, and in search of shared interest, who here shoots film? Ever? Occasionally? Always?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sandemaniac does (shoot film), and there are/were groups on 365/Flickr and a number of people I follow(ed) on both have tried both. I follow a few of the film only guys on Flickr.

I used to shoot film but like the way I can play on digital without it costing anything extra to try lots of different things.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sandemaniac does (shoot film), and there are/were groups on 365/Flickr and a number of people I follow(ed) on both have tried both. I follow a few of the film only guys on Flickr.

I used to shoot film but like the way I can play on digital without it costing anything extra to try lots of different things.

Not only cost, but ease. Beyond this, there are things on can do digitally that could never be done with film only. The digital darkroom adds a level of creativity not possible.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The fast focus of the new camera is amazing - a twentieth of a second in decent light.

I think it is going to take a while for me to get used to all the bells and whistles but so far it seems a pretty good buy.

We went to a local "event" tonight at a village 10 kms from here and so my photo of the day coms from there, which means I can hold my other idea in reserve, perhaps tomorrow.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness, a real run of fun to catch up with! Good luck with the new camera, CK, what a **** about it's predecessor!

Yes, I shoot a certain amount of film, mostly because I enjoy being able to play with some of my wonderful old relics. I think it's a bit swings and roundabouts between 120 scans and getting the enlarger back out. It's much more convenient to be able to do things like put stuff on the web (oh God, more Flickr changes? How the hell do I shift all those pics?), and it's much more intuitive being able to look at your negs as positives than it is on a lightbox. On the other hand, if your neg is sharp then the darkroom print will look markedly sharper than the scan, especially if you up the contrast grade a bit, and of course you get the crack hit from seeing it turn out in the developer!

That's not very helpful, is it? On the other hand if you have the [drool]Mamiya[/drool] and only a 35mm scanner, you could use the darkroom for 120 and the scanner for 35mm, and compare negs from the Pentax that you liked the look of scanned as prints, and make a decision based on that?

My problem with the V500 scanner has been film flatness - if the film isn't flat no amount of sharpening will give you a sharp image. I've got better results by putting a piece of non-reflective glass over the neg, which helps a lot, thankfully. Given my amateur results cutting the stuff, I'd see if you can find a framer who can cut some to size for you if you end up going that way.

You should have an email from me by now - feel free to keep asking questions!

The two places I tend to go for advice are Amateur Photographer and Rangefinder Forum. There are others such as APUG and FADU, but two links is plenty for our lovely hosts. Of the two, AP is less film oriented, but RFF has more blowhards. You pays your money (or not) and takes your pick!

I would love a full-frame DSLR as the lack of control over depth of field on my bridge camera (Canon G10) really annoys me, but it would have to be a Nikon mount as I have a whole load of old Nikon lenses I could use - using film, manual focus comes naturally! I think that's a while away yet, though, as I really have to replace my computer first - bought about 2005, post-processing digital images would just grind it to a halt!

Anyway, enough blether...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Title edited, to make this thread open-ended. Or at least until the number of pages falls over some cliff or other.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

You must all be sick and tired of me wittering on BUT the filters stack arrived today! 28 separate add-ons in one stack for about 18 quid UK money [US$30] - it is going to be such fun trying them all over the next few weeks. Just the memory cards and the gorillapod to go.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Ah no, WW, I am happy for you and completely understand the excitement of new kit.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I've bought one of the Canon Powershots - the X160. Not due here until into the New Year, so, now do I start 365 with the horrible Samsung I use with the kids, with hope of something nicer coming soon?

I need to sort pictures from Christmas too.

You do brilliant no matter what you use, CK. And that one has the proper manual controls so should do well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Thanks lilBuddha - I started 365 with the cheap and nasty camera I don't love* just because I wanted to start from January 1. Not sure when my new toy arrives but it's been shipped.

Welease Woderick filters sound great fun.

* It's a very cheap camera, cast off by my daughter when she bought an i-phone.
  • colours are pretty awful whatever setting - my phone camera is better for colours,
  • macro is frustrating and even more hit and miss than anything else I've used,
  • it has a red/green focus set up and it lies ...
I really don't mind lending this one to the kids to keep them quiet when we're out at stuff.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I've a Canon 5D Mark II, it is full frame.
Yes, Oh my, yes it is worth the upgrade. Extra size means more light gathered for a better tonal range and bigger pixels better low light performance and less noise. Massive difference. Allows for large reproductions as well, should you wish to print them.

I'll look into it. I love what I got with my NEX 5T; most of my frustrations revolve around it not focusing as well as I'd like in low light but the detail in some of the full frame pictures I see is stunning.

It's going to be hard to swing an FF camera this year as I am going to the Congo for 17 days in November and I need to save for that, but I'll see if I can swing it.

[ 02. January 2014, 18:26: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's interesting 365ing on both Flickr and 365. I don't always do this, but I put the same photo up on both Flickr and 365 yesterday. Flickr it's hit Explore, 365 it's been noted as being on New Faces, but not a lot else - and it was their challenge I was playing around with!

Really, really want the new toy to arrive.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorry, CK, but my tripod/gorillapod arrived this afternoon - a bit big for a pocket but lovely piece of kit. I ordered it New Year's Eve and it arrived 4th January and it has travelled all the way from Delhi which is a fair distance.

Only got the other two 32GB cards to arrive and I think I'll be done for a while.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Hmmph, ordered mine on New Year's Eve too [Waterworks] - mind you, we haven't had any post today yet.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I shouldn't have been so rude - the new toy did arrive yesterday, without the SD card which was actually promised, by the time I found it (left outside the front door) and bought an SD card, there wasn't a lot of light left.

It's got so many different controls to play with! And the difference between 3x and 16x zoom is quite something. This is going to be a fun learning challenge.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The SD card didn't appear with mine either but considering the amount of extras I got for free and that I wouldn't use it anyway I wasn't too worried.

Enjoy the extra zoom - have you got a tripod to keep things stable at long zoom?

My elderly Nikon compact [an L23] seems to have finally given up the ghost - it is eating batteries and every time it gets switched on I have to reset the date and time. I am going to the city on Tuesday so will see if it is worth repairing otherwise I will be on the hunt for a pocket model, possibly for my birthday in March.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I knew I needed an SD card, it's on order from Amazon and the order tracking predicted it would arrive yesterday, although the camera wasn't promised until next week. It was the least frustrating order, getting the camera without a card.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

WW, the L23 has a separate battery for the clock.
I am going to guess that changing it will cost more than replacing the camera, as they are generally not easily accessible.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks for that, I shall ask The Man when I pop in later in the week.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Mad]

Now I find my old tripod just isn't up to snuff for taking the weight of the new camera! A new one will have to wait SEVERAL months as there is no way I can possibly justify the expense at the moment when I only use one occasionally. I wonder if I can get a pan and tilt head for the gorillapod - probably.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Joby make them specifically for the Gorillapod, but IIRC, the gorillapods are threaded to receive any standard ballhead.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

lilBuddha - you are a GENIUS!!

I read your post and realised [I can be a bit slow sometimes] that the pan and tilt head on now redundant tripod probably unscrews [it does] and will then fit the gorillapod [it does]!

Problem solved!

Thank you!

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a bad thing. Not perhaps a morally bad thing but maybe a financially bad thing.

For the past few years - well, about thirteen or fourteen of them - I've been using a succession of steadily cheaper point-and-shoot digital cameras that fit into a pocket - they suit me perfectly well because they are cheap, I can take lots of pictures, and I never really bothered much about taking artistic pictures, I use cameras to document walks and field trips, mainly shooting buildings and plants and (rather ineffectually) animals (they tend to move and they are often far away)

But these days the cameras on smartphones have caught up with the cheap p&s boxes (in lenses I mean, megapixies or whatever aren't really that important). And the chances are that the next phone I get will be a better camera than my current camera (which cost me 30 quid some years ago!). So if I am going to keep a camera at all it makes sense to upgrade a bit. So I looked at digital SLRs and found the cheapest one available was the bottom-of-the-range Nikon (though still pretty expensive). So I thought of going to a shop to buy one. Because I could just about afford it (Partly funded by not having smoked for six weeks - due to health problems, not giving up - but the money I just spent means I probably can't afford to smoke for another few months!)

Now, once upon a time, long, long ago I had a Pentax SLR. And when I lost it or it broke (honestly can't remember) I bought another one second-hand. This would be the 1980s. And because I wanted to document the wildlife in my garden and immediate neighbourhood - what everyone else calls weeds and bugs - I bought a macro lens (which was rather good) and a second-hand telephoto (which wasn't, its scratched or dirty or something) So when I went to the camera shop I looked at the cameras and realised that if I bought a Pentax I could probably use my old lenses - which I honestly hadn't even taken out of their bag this century - and in the long run that would be cheaper because I really do want to take pictures of insects and spiders and plants so I really do want to have a macro lens and buying a new one for the Nikon would cost a lot.

But the cheapest Pentax was mumbly-mumbly-mumbly more expensive than the cheapest Nikon.

And then it turned out that the second cheapest Pentax was weather-proofed and some other minor advantages of use to few people but good for what I wanted to do.

And then it turned out that spending about 70 quid more gets you two kit lenses, not one, and the other one is a 55-200mm zoom which isn't exactly telephoto but is a good length for walking around with (back when I used film I never really got on with 100 ASA and 50mm, always preferred 400 and 80 or 100 for normal walking-about shots) and which would have cost a lot more to buy separately. I am obviously a sucker.

So end result was blowing about three months disposable income on twice the camera I intended to buy. Which I could only just afford in the first place. My name is Ken and I am a serial-compulsive impulse buyer of optical equipment (I have five pairs of binoculars, two useless because a cat peed on them, four cameras, only one I have used in the last X years, a telescope, and two microscopes - real ones like you might find in a lab - those I got with my redundancy money many years ago, I'd never have afforded them from wages)

On the other hand, when I finally got home (some days later, did I say this was all an impulse buy while visiting relatives hundreds of miles away?) and looked out my old camera and lenses I found as expected the old-style 50mm fixed-focus kit lens that was on most Pentax SLRs in the 70s and 80s, and also the rather crappy telephoto, but also that the macro lens I had to be honest almost forgotten seems to be clean and in working order and looks really, really useable. I hope so because I'd better take some decent pictures with it to justify all this. Spiders watch out! You will be on candid camera!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well done Ken - Pentax cameras are seriously nice bits of kit. Have fun with it.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds wonderful Ken - enjoy it!

I like taking photographs. For me, one of the essential things a camera should be is small enough to fit into my handbag and therefore be with me at all times. Over the years, I have had an Olympus Mju (one of the very first - a fixed lens 35mm film camera). I still have this.
I had a Leica compact camera - good pictures, but not a very successful camera, this, as the film transport mechanism broke about a month after the warranty expired, and Leica said that it was unrepairable. I still have the camera...
My late dad gave me a Pentax Optio 35mm "compact" camera to replace the Leica, which takes really sharp pictures. I need to get a new battery for it.

I then had an Olympus compact which used a micro-SD card. That disappeared in a recent burglary.
Then a Panasonic DMC-FS10, bought half price in a sale. I have taken some very good pictures with this, but it has a speck of dust or something on the sensor which limits its usefulness a bit.

My current camera is a Panasonic DMC-TZ40, and I am still learning what it can do.

So, can a "point-and-shoot" person participate in this thread??!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've only ever been a point and shoot person and it doesn't stop me.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taken with a 1930s Box Brownie, hard to get more point and shoot than that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/11170106515/

It's not what you got, it's what you do with it (and, let's be honest, this is not a photography forum, whether you enjoy what you do with it).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Congrats ken. You've got a nice bit of kit there.

St. Everild, your camera has controls for a great deal of experimentation and learning, should you choose. Curiosity killed is a terrific person to follow. She lies to us or herself when she says she is a point and shoot person. She twists, clicks, pushes and adjusts every setting on her cameras.
Sandemaniac is correct, learn to use whatever you have and good things can result.

Side note regarding your camera with the obstruction. Take a printed photo, at least writing paper size. Sharpen a pencil to the finest point possible. Then, using the
minimum pressure possible, press lightly on the paper.
That is what a speck if dust on a sensor looks like.
Without seeing the result, I would guess your camera had been dropped and a broken bit is in there.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If it is the Panasonic I think it is it does collect dust~ somewhere on 365 there are instructions on how to clean it yourself ~ it was something that made me go for a Canon this time.

OK ~ I'll come clean ~ shot on Flickr last week made 25,000 views and #17 on Explore. And another shot has made Explore since. Been back on 365 for 10 days and have won the abstract challenge, made the popular page once and new faces 5 times. I think it's funny ~ clothes pegs aren't that interesting. I'm on my phone so can't link.

New toy has lots to learn. But I can take long exposure shots! Light painting here I come some time soon.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Just to give the links - 365 Project and Flickr - and this one went mad on Flickr.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quietly coming out of Lurk mode.
I am a point'n'shoot snapper, or would be if I could find a compact that I'm happy with since I drowned my previous Canon Ixus. In days gone by I've used Brownies (list in a move) and disposables, and have been delighted with the outcome. I tend to be more interested in composition than the technical side, because my poor brain gets confused when there are too many choices.
So while I wait to decide which compact to go for, I have tohe opportunity to become friends with my Canon EOS 1000D - I will soon be going on a trip for photographers to Norway where we're being given guidance on capturing the Northern Lights and wildlife.
I enjoy looking at the work of others, whether online, in books or at exhibitions, and working out what makes that picture stand out for me and how I can replicate the effect. But right now I don't get much opportunity to take many shots - my life right now isn't really geared up to taking even one each day. But when I do get the chance I go for it, although I only share a tiny fraction of what I take.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nice shot AG.

I was looking to do some dramatic B&W shots on my new toy and using one of my new filters but so far not a cloud in the sky! Ah well, I'm sure I can use another filter for another purpose it is just that I remember from the 60s how good a red filter is with a cloudscape.

The fast autofocus of the new machine is still amazing me and also the versatility of that focus in keeping a fairly wide DoF at close quarters that don't necessitate one of the macro settings.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016