homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rev. BBC2 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rev. BBC2
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody else has started a thread on the new series yet, so I thought I might as well. Read all about it

There are some new characters in this series including the Area Dean, Diocesan Secretary and a local Immam.

I'm usually out on Monday evenings, but I'll be setting up my electric television device to record the series. I'm hoping this series is as good as the first two.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PVR already scheduled..
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 mins to Rev series 3 starting...
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

As Java Chat is still unsafe to run - Twitter has hashtag #rev...
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

On air - and Alex's waters have broken..
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, not very impressed by the first episode. Far too predictable.
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't take to the two new characters! [Frown]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the Diocesan Secretary all about? I'm really not sure where she's supposed to fit in. In my experience, Diocesn Secretaries have no input at all in the day to day running of parishes. They rarely even leave their office!

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:

I don't think we're meant to.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A brilliant start to the series.

Though my prediction (made at the end of the last series) that we would chart Alex's pregnancy followed by the pathos of a miscarriage got blown out of the water in the first scene.

Top gag had to be the one about the anglican hierarchy:

"So, how does it work?"

"It doesn't."

[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

The look of horror on the archdeacon's face as Alex gave birth in the back of the taxi was priceless!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget that Miles Jupp is a clergy son - in his case URC.

So are David Tennant (CofS Moderator of General Assembly) and Hugh Dennis (CofE - a Bishop no less!)

Sadly my own son works backstage, not on it.

[ 25. March 2014, 15:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved Colin's fundraising technique

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely Matt Black . No one could accuse him of burying his Talent . [Devil]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was good. The archdeacon being told to get the tube was excellent. Not to mention his delivery of the baby.

OK, it was stretching a little to include the diocesan secretary and area dean, but then it is stretching it that the archdeacon gets so involved. It is just about more characters, more people.

The problem is, it is so hyped, it is hard to live up to that. I am not sure it should - it should just surprise. I hope it does.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first few minutes were wonderful, sort of slapstick, as the archdeacon struggled with her dilation and the baby's head emerging - 'ghastly'!

It quietened down a bit then, but still very good; the imam was well played by the actor.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Don't forget that Miles Jupp is a clergy son - in his case URC.

If he is the son of the minister I suspect then he is the son of our expert on Funeral rites! For some reason I suspect that might please people here.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But they are so real. I'm sure I've met them both, but not both at the same time.

Like all good comedy caricatures they are exagerated, but not by much.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

But they are so real. I'm sure I've met them both, but not both at the same time.

Like all good comedy caricatures they are exagerated, but not by much.

Both actresses were in Getting On, which was a series I very much enjoyed. It had a horrible credibility.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also discovered that Vikki Pepperdine was a contemporary of mine at university. I may well have met her there.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful as always, though I have a niggling worry that somebody may not realise that an Archdeacon outranks an Area Dean.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved it. I was a bit worried about whether it would all go rather bleak with Alex either losing the baby or getting PND or other Very Bad Things, so I'm glad it hasn't gone there.

The hierarchy joke made me shout "Yes!" at the telly - to my shame despite decades in the CofE I had no idea about how you know the difference between a rector and a vicar.

And I loved Area Dean & Diocesan Sec. All the talk about "How are we going to BE church?" as a cover for cutting. [Two face] I have a feeling the archdeacon is going to end up rescuing Adam at some point....

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Wonderful as always, though I have a niggling worry that somebody may not realise that an Archdeacon outranks an Area Dean.

But personality can override hierarchy, can't it? IIRC in All Gas and Gaiters everyone was terrified of the Dean.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
And I loved Area Dean & Diocesan Sec. All the talk about "How are we going to BE church?" as a cover for cutting. [Two face] I have a feeling the archdeacon is going to end up rescuing Adam at some point....

As often happens in real life.

Alex's reluctance to have the baby baptised didn't really ring true with me though.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I don't know ... my wife often resists pressure to do things that are expected of her "because she's the Minister's wife".

What did intrigue me was the potential (or even extant) relationship between the Diocesan Secretary and the Area Dean ..,. or am I clutching at straws?

[ 27. March 2014, 08:03: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me the best line was Yusuf's: "I love your churches. So much space!"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really really weird. I am just watching the episode - and I can smell baby poo.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
For me the best line was Yusuf's: "I love your churches. So much space!"

Yes, a nice dead-pan line. Also liked his face, when the church hierarchy was being explained to him; and Adam's face when he saw the throngs outside the mosque; also of course, the ten grand immediately forthcoming from them.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

The problem is, it is so hyped, it is hard to live up to that. I am not sure it should - it should just surprise. I hope it does.

Really hope I don't put the kiss of death on Rev by saying this , but I enjoyed the first episode of this new series so much that I think it might just have the makings of a quality long-distance sit-com.
We've watched the earlier series' several times over . Each time we appreciate the detail the creators have put those characters .

I don't know too much about reformed (?) characters like Colin in real life, but I reckon they've cast that guy just right . Him making a horror face and loud noise at Adam's young child in the park got me going straight away, -- classic Colin.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Adam was interviewed on the radio the other week. He said that the first three episodes were funny, the last ones deeper - as the other series have done. I hope so, because the depth is so important.

I still think the finale from s1 was one of the best things I have ever seen. I hope they can get the same level of depth and intensity in this series, by the end. But I don't expect it early on - this intensity needs to build.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoiler alert

.I understand tonight they are tackling the equal marriage in the church issue...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Spoiler alert

.I understand tonight they are tackling the equal marriage in the church issue...

Yawn. No wonder ratings are so low.
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I've read, the TV ratings are actually pretty good. Unless you mean church attendance ratings; then yes, they are low...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
From what I've read, the TV ratings are actually pretty good. Unless you mean church attendance ratings; then yes, they are low...

10pm on BBC2 on a Monday night is hardly a top rated spot. Sensible people will be in their beds.
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God I'm not sensible

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:

Sorry, I meant exhausted and insensible!
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:

Sorry, I meant exhausted and insensible!
But, but, surely that is what Sky Plus (or any other brand-named equivelent is for?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I so recognised the Area Dean and Diocesan Secretary that I was convinced they must be based on people I know, though it's hard to work out how that would be [Big Grin]

Diocesan Secs involving themselves in the outworking of policy isn't completely unheard of, depends on the personalities involved. I think Adam's improvisation of an impressive sounding catchphrase to cover up his failures rings a bell with a lot of clergy - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
... - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.

Has anyone else been watching W1A?

[ 31. March 2014, 17:10: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

W1A - by being more explicitly and deliberately humorous - takes it even further. And it is brilliant. The fact that they are taking the mickey out of themselves is even better.

Any large organisation - or people who think like a large organisation - behave like that. I am working for a project manager who is a bit like that, but we are working on him.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:

10pm on BBC2 on a Monday night is hardly a top rated spot. Sensible people will be in their beds.
Who is sensible? Even when up for work at 7am i never went to bed much before 0030. Had just finished marking and prep. by 200 and about to relax.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
[QB]So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.

Well, naively, before I saw the C of E quite so close up I would have hoped so.

However there are a number of people doing far better than that in the C of E, which I suppose is where the irritation with Rev arises in some quarters.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The catchphrase thing. I have a theory (based on not much evidence) that a lot of the people who use most management-speak & catchphrasey nonsense used to be hired by big business, city type firms etc. Then when the big business got tired of them they moved onto the nhs, then universities. Basically they've worked their way through pretty much most fields of employment before coming to rest in the church, because we haven't noticed so much of it is nonsense yet.

Haven't watched any episodes W1A yet, but would love to. From the snippets I've seen it looks hilarious. In a watching from behind the sofa sort of way.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
... - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.
Oh Lordy! We have done Going for Growth, Funding the Vision and now Natural Church Development!
Load of corporate-speak bollocks the lot of it!

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The URC had "Catch the Vision" and now "Vision 20/20".
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

On air.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Having to work around the regs...
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

WHat an unfortunate TLA is IED...
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Oh dear God... having to skirt ever so close like that...
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

My wife (who is out at the moment) will be DELIGHTED at the reference to Hungarian palincka from Kecskemet - she loves the stuff.

If only they'd said "Unicum" instead - now THAT'S an acquired taste (which I haven't acquired). But it is a registered trade mark so I suppose they couldn't use it.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016