homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rev. BBC2 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rev. BBC2
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doing same-sex blessings is like parking on a double-yellow line - fine so long as you don't get caught? Loved it!

Now how does that apply to Baptists? [Cool]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that is going to piss off more people than the raving evo in season 1.

Very Funny.

IED lol.

It all so true and funny and painful.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that walked a painfully real line between laughter and tears...

And great lines

" filly filly uppy uppy" (Archdeacon, handing over the dreaded fund-raising thermometer)

"first you'll be suspended, then you'll be defrocked, then you'll be killed by one of the Bishop's team of assassins in unmarked cars" (what apparently happens if you do a gay wedding)

"eat it! eat it in the name of church unity" (disposal of illegal liturgical evidence)

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
It all so true and funny and painful.

Indeed so. Clearly written with the benefit of inside knowledge. Including the collusion in the hierarchy. And the final scene. [Two face]

And the timing of this episode was impeccable - too fortuitous to be accidental. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Archdeacon, ya big church knob, how's tricks?"

I do so wish I'd said that ...

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not:

"eat it! eat it in the name of church unity" (disposal of illegal liturgical evidence)

One of the writers is a lurker. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The couple was cute. (Much better looking than the couples in all the Episcopal Church gay weddings I've attended.)

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very good episode, the final scene brought a lump to my throat

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was so good. Showing the problems of the Anglican position "You are not married" "yes we are" "well not here", as well as the hypocrisy with the archdeacon being gay.

But it also showed the pastoral problems of this position. "So God doesn't approve of us" "well God does, its just that the church doesn't". And the final scene where - as so often - Adam does the right thing irrespective of the consequences.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:

ditto

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:

ditto
ditto
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expect a first century version of Rev would have shown Jesus marrying Herod and Herodias over the curmudgeonly objections of John the Baptist. Except, of course, Jesus would have done no such thing because powerful interpersonal attractions are not the most important thing in the universe. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is to say No.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

.I understand tonight they are tackling the equal marriage in the church issue...

Yawn. No wonder ratings are so low.
Exactly my reaction when I heard about it. But the episode was hilarious - fantastic comedy and not in the least boring, even though the subject has been so over-done in the media. Loved it!

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Doing same-sex blessings is like parking on a double-yellow line - fine so long as you don't get caught? Loved it!

Now how does that apply to Baptists? [Cool]

It doesn't. You and I both know that if you do or don't do such blessings no one will do anything about it. Precedent has been set with chalkey.

The BU haven't got the wherewithal or the stomach for such a fight - in any event the BUGB can't tell a church what to do. If the church meeting decides to do it, it can be done!

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
[QUOTE]Oh Lordy! We have done Going for Growth, Funding the Vision and now Natural Church Development! Load of corporate-speak bollocks the lot of it!

Yep, those of us who had been in the corporate world before ordination can recognise a barrel of such stuff a mile away.

Bear in mind that Natural Church Development is a matter of "Warning: increase not guaranteed. Development can go down as well as up"

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
I expect a first century version of Rev would have shown Jesus marrying Herod and Herodias over the curmudgeonly objections of John the Baptist. Except, of course, Jesus would have done no such thing because powerful interpersonal attractions are not the most important thing in the universe. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is to say No.

No

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Nigel got so uptight about the gay wedding, I couldn't help feeling that Series 4 might have the Archdeacon and Nigel getting it together and - finally - getting married. Watch Series 4 and see if I'm right!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
That was so good. Showing the problems of the Anglican position "You are not married" "yes we are" "well not here", as well as the hypocrisy with the archdeacon being gay.

But it also showed the pastoral problems of this position. "So God doesn't approve of us" "well God does, its just that the church doesn't". And the final scene where - as so often - Adam does the right thing irrespective of the consequences.

I cheered at the final scene (which was awkward as I was in bed at the time). I told a friend that I looked forward to being able to carry out same-sex weddings before I retired: I think my odds (25 years, Church in Wales) are roughly evens...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
When Nigel got so uptight about the gay wedding, I couldn't help feeling that Series 4 might have the Archdeacon and Nigel getting it together and - finally - getting married. Watch Series 4 and see if I'm right!

But that would make the Archdeacon the equivalent of a divorcé. Big moral problem. I'm a bit worried about the diocesan ladies double act. Is the frequency of gays in the CofE that high?
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My theory is that "Cherry", with whom Nigel claims to be in a relationship, is in fact a trans woman. I dearly hope we meet her before the series ends. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:

My theory is that "Cherry", with whom Nigel claims to be in a relationship, is in fact a trans woman. I dearly hope we meet her before the series ends. [Smile]
I rather think the best/funniest way of wrapping that story arc up might be along the lines of the final episode of Allo Allo where it is revealed that Lt Grueber and Helga got married and had 7 children. Cherry really ought to be a perfectly unremarkable, attractive, straight woman, with whom Nigel is in a relationship. The shock of that would be as great to the other characters as it would be to the audience ISTM.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two thoughts.

One is that I seem to remember reading somewhere that there will be no Series 4. Can anyone corroborate this?

The other is that "Cherry" is only an Internet persona who doesn't really exist - either an avatar in a chatroom or (much more likely) a virtual character in a video game, like Lara Croft.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
[I'm a bit worried about the diocesan ladies double act. Is the frequency of gays in the CofE that high?

Remember that this is the Diocese of London!!! [Devil]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, funny, and painful indeed - especially for us, as we're a UPA parish (albeit not in London) with a nice shiny new mosque nearby, and our very own home-grown versions of Nigel and Colin..... [Eek!]

.....and, although we're not under threat from egregious Area Deans and Diocesan Secretaries (yet!), a neighbouring parish is.............. [Ultra confused]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:

We never got to meet Mrs Mannering in all those wonderful years of 'Dad's Army' [Smile]

(not sure if my comparison is all that watertight)

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did spot, though, that when the Archdeacon demanded to see the order of service used, and Adam said he didn't have one, he used 'this', pointing to a service book - that was actually the green CW book, Pastoral Services - which is the weddings are, not the Eucharists...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

Series 1 brilliant esp Vivian in the Supermarket!. Series 2 ok. Series 3 - stories too "right on" for words. Passed its sell by date.

Put it and us out of our misery - unless it really does represent urban parish life (not in this neck of the woods), in which case the state church is truly doomed.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
in which case the state church is truly doomed.

Good job we have an established church then, and not a state church.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ep2 about to air.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were spoilers...so I edited.

[ 07. April 2014, 21:31: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
very disappointed in tonights episode
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the first episode I've seen since the first series. Miserable, or what!
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto: from the dizzy heights of last week to the cringeworthy depths of this week [Frown]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes, I was disappointed too. I thought that both Mick and Adoha were included in ways that suggested "we have to bring them in" and didn't contribute to the plot, while the end of the litter-pick was pure slapstick end-of-the-pier stuff.

I do like the prayers which always have an edge of authenticity to them. And where had the Miles Jupp character been for two mysterious days?

But the whole episode was a bit formulaic.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Realistic, though.

--------------------

not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was so sad. If this is the final series they might close the church at the end. Maybe Nigel's got a secret plan for gaining funds and that's what he was off doing.
Cherry is probably a pet.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only one thing to say about last night's episode and that is......

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Don't want to put spoilers in for anyone one who's not seen it yet .
Best yet as far we were concerned.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did we watch the same thing? [Confused]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who is beginning to find Rev is losing touch with credibility. A pity, as the previous series were good. Perhaps they have reached the point where they've run out of plots.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I felt last night's episode was verging on that Mike Leigh-ish mode of being cruel to all the characters. I never find the comedy of embarrassment very funny, but it's increasingly grating that the script allows Adam no competence at all. In fact, none of the characters came out of it very well. Dark is one thing, but this felt, well, nasty.

Maybe it is the need to have plots that is spoiling it -- I often find plot works against comedies. Porridge is a fantastic example of a comedy that was consistently funny partly because almost nothing ever happened.

[ 08. April 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, I don't think it was that unrealistic (in the normal terms). The interesting thing is that the church is situated on the edge of the city and the more impoverished east end. Similarly, Adam and Alex are spread between the church and the more high-flying world of business.

The thing is, in such a place, a well known artist might well be drawn into the social circle. It is Damien Hurst area.

I think, in essence, this is the core of the tension that Adam feels. He is in touch with the wealth of the city, and yet knows that there is also poverty because that is so much of where he works.

Not as good as last week, but I think it still made a good point.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that the situation was not so incredibly far-fetched. What I felt was upsetting was the way the characters were made to deal with it.

The bit where Colin makes the baby drink from a miniature of some kind of spirits -- having told her to shut the fuck up. That was horrible, and it wasn't followed up at all. Or making Mick turn into a fake trans-sexual prostitute. What did that gain in comedic terms? Why was Adam's apology at the end so mealy-mouthed? It's those kind of things that not only didn't I find funny, but that seemed pointlessly nasty towards the characters themselves.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was brilliant television. Astutely observed. Hard to watch because so real.

Do agree about Mick and Adoha - but I've always thought, since the first series, they were weak, formulaic sitcom 'characters' with no real depth of character and don't really add anything.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
quote:

Interchangeable terms - established = state
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was completely unrealistic was Alex getting a job in a law firm with "an expanding legal aid department". This at a time when the Ministry of Justice (an appropriate Orwellian-sounding name) is slashing the legal aid budget, legal aid law firms are going out of business all over the country and those that survive may have just one solicitor handling legal aid cases. Meanwhile the number of people who need good legal advice but cannot afford it continues to grow. Many such people are from the "hard-working families" so beloved of politicians of all parties.

As for a legal aid firm having a "client lunch", that is just surreal.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think Alex's promotion (or career progress) had to be within the law firm, but in an area that would not cause any moral issues. Yes it was unrealistic, but it was some artistic license to avoid any difficulties.

Mick always strikes me as the representative of the most difficult, problematic, needy element in the society. Many vicarages will recognise the character.

Adoha is also a character that I recognise - the congregation member with a crush on the vicar.

In a sense, they should both make an appearance each time, maybe in a minor role, because they are not a major story in themselves, but are a constant issue - for Adam, they are both constant problems that he needs to manage.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it. It was depressing, sure, and the sexual tension between Adam and Ellie had been obvious since the beginning. I didn't think that the car park scene was particularly slapstick; I think that misses the point completely. Personally I'd have been looking for the dog turds in that situation. Adan spontaneously doing grace, and even so more doing it in Latin, did seem out of character though.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:

As for a legal aid firm having a "client lunch", that is just surreal.

That's exactly what struck me as being utterly absurd.

I thought the episode was crap.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

Interchangeable terms - established = state
No they aren't. Germany, Sweden and Norway have a state church and they pay state taxes.

England and Scotland have churches 'by law established'.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Meant to add that the state does not fund established churches. It does fund state churches.

[ 09. April 2014, 15:32: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016