homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rev. BBC2 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rev. BBC2
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question. The evil Diocesan Sec & Area Dean? Or if not money, perhaps opportunity of advancement? ("Anyone can see how wasted your talents are here, Nigel....") Though it probably couldn't work like that logistically.
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just completed an online survey on 'Rev' for "Christian Surveys", having been invited to do so by email. No idea who they are. However, I did not check the "don't send me the results" box, so I might be able to post a link to the results here in due course.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Balaam said:"After discussions in the balaam household we have Nigel as the Sanhedrin, all rules and no compassion. "

Yes, Law not grace.

I loved it. Adam stops striving, gets to the end of himself and meets God.

It's sad, but truthful, that the behaviour of the parishoners is destroying the thing they love.

Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the series is so well written that it copes with very intense analysis. That doesn't mean there will not be issues or discrepancies found by this, but that there is a whole lot of meaning in the shows - this davinci-like analysis is built in.

But it is built into the whole series, of which there is still one episode to go. Some of the analysis may have to wait for the final episode, because we don't yet have all of the information.

It is worth considering that ep 3 was generally disliked here. But it was crucial to the last two episodes. What is more, in the context of the whole series so far, it made a lot of sense.

At 6 episodes, they can make it almost like a single story, with sub aspects.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. We want and expect our heroes to be steely eyed and untouchable. Adam is so not that.

What is disturbing my Christianity is the (always known) truth that Christ was not like that either. Nothing else has recently shown me how He was truly lost and hurt, not some blue eyed wonderkid but a person, hated for trying to do His best, by everyone, friend and foe alike.

Deeply moving and challenging.

Fly Safe

Pyx_e

[ 25. April 2014, 08:48: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
I've just completed an online survey on 'Rev' for "Christian Surveys", having been invited to do so by email. No idea who they are. However, I did not check the "don't send me the results" box, so I might be able to post a link to the results here in due course.

Ditto.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. ...

I don't think that's the problem at all. It's much more that this series hitherto has been comedy and trailed as such. We've no problem with the central figure in a comedy series being a bit inept or even vulnerable, whatever that overused word means.

Where this series has suddenly become more challenging is that it's turned serious in two ways that leave viewers unsure how to take it. The obvious one was the strong echo last Monday of the Via Dolorosa. The more subtle one, though, which has been building up particularly since the statue scene, is that is it funny to watch a decent person - who isn't a total prat like Basil Fawlty - falling apart, emotionally, psychically and spiritually?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

- Posted      Profile for Frankly My Dear   Email Frankly My Dear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, folks, but, having sat through the whole series now, I regard the breaking of the artwork as this programme's 'jump the shark' moment. Since then, there has been one implausibility and overblown reaction after another, and then an all-too-obvious headlong rush into some grand theological flourishes. Ruined it for me.
Posts: 108 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. ...

I don't think that's the problem at all. It's much more that this series hitherto has been comedy and trailed as such. We've no problem with the central figure in a comedy series being a bit inept or even vulnerable, whatever that overused word means.

Where this series has suddenly become more challenging is that it's turned serious in two ways that leave viewers unsure how to take it. The obvious one was the strong echo last Monday of the Via Dolorosa. The more subtle one, though, which has been building up particularly since the statue scene, is that is it funny to watch a decent person - who isn't a total prat like Basil Fawlty - falling apart, emotionally, psychically and spiritually?

Yes, I think that's a good point. For me, this is its greatness and audacity, that it is balancing between comedy and tragedy, a very difficult thing to do. Very few artists can manage it, maybe Dickens, although he tends to fall into pathos.

I just think that contemporary TV is scaling amazing heights today.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankly My Dear:
Sorry, folks, but, having sat through the whole series now, I regard the breaking of the artwork as this programme's 'jump the shark' moment. Since then, there has been one implausibility and overblown reaction after another, and then an all-too-obvious headlong rush into some grand theological flourishes. Ruined it for me.

Yes, a lot (most?) of it is implausible. As I said earlier, if it were a serious drama I'd be picking all sorts of holes in it, but it isn't so I'm not.

Implausible, yes, but still extremely well written and brilliantly acted by all the cast.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

It's never been purely comedy. From the beginning, there's been a dark, poignant side to it. If anyone thought it was just comedy, they were missing the point in a big way. And to prove that this isn't 20/20 hindsight, I said it wasn't exactly comedy even before this series started.

Go back to the first series - look at the story of how the window got smashed. How Adam was both attracted and repulsed by Darren's slick performance. How he's always caught between what's expedient or convenient, and various muddled and unclear ideas of what the right thing would be. I'll give you that this series has got darker, but that element has always been there.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
[Razz] But but but, it's the best telly there's been for months, and great telly deserves endless over-analysis! I haven't had this much fun since Sherlock! [Big Grin]

Absolutely [Big Grin] Rev. is pure gold .

It gets to the stage you only have to see Archdeacon Robert pull one of those expressions, or for Colin to utter a sentence, and you're right in the zone.

BTW. Did anyone else see what looked like Ellie in the Passion sequence ? It was the quickest of shots, (had to freeze frame it), where she looked very much like the traditionally held version of Mary Magdalene .

If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .
Hope I'm wrong , hate spoilers [Biased]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
... If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .
Hope I'm wrong , hate spoilers [Biased]

So do I. That would be really bad theology. Adam is married to Alex.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And besides, who in their right mind (as Adam obviously is) would leave Olivia Coleman [Axe murder] ?
Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been PMd by another shipmate who has spotted exactly the same thing as me. Interesting.

Only three days to go (as the cognoscenti said on Good Friday.....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
And besides, who in their right mind (as Adam obviously is) would leave Olivia Coleman [Axe murder] ?

Hear, hear. [Yipee]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:

Well, for Lucy Liemann, it would be a real problem.

(I love them both. Adam gets both of them, albeit with one threatening to tear his bollocks off if he touches the other).

I think the real power of the series for me is that I am Adam. A lot of the time, the things that reflect my faith are ridiculous - that was reflected in the earlier episodes, and is the comedy of the series.

At the same time, Adam is trying really hard to be a faithful Christian. He doesn't always manage it, but he knows when he gets it wrong. He is so often on his own - supported by Alex, but still, his spiritual journey is a solitary one.

And that is the power and the genius of it. Sometimes it is implausible, but it is a creative exploration of what faith means.

I have never carried a large cross through the high street. But I have been there with him. Often. I know what it means.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Go back to the first series - look at the story of how the window got smashed. How Adam was both attracted and repulsed by Darren's slick performance. How he's always caught between what's expedient or convenient, and various muddled and unclear ideas of what the right thing would be. I'll give you that this series has got darker, but that element has always been there.

Yes, I think you're right - the dangerous attraction to Ellie was there from the early days as well.

I've only just seen the most recent episode and I found it very touching. You could say that it some ways it was predictable, but it was still fresh. I applaud it for trying to say something real about Christianity that speaks to both believers and non-believers. I think it's an example of what Keats called 'negative capability' - the ability to rest creatively in ambiguity and uncertainty.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .

I recall him being negative about charismatic churches in the episode about that slick-evo guy. Adam comes across as being MOR.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:

I recall him being negative about charismatic churches in the episode about that slick-evo guy. Adam comes across as being MOR.
Adam fell and sustained a head injury and then saw a vision of God. So the way of the Cross might have been doing double duty as the road to Damascus. If Saul became fairly charismatic I suppose Adam might too. However in my professional opinion, I'm a Registered Nurse by trade, I think he needs to get that injury sorted out soon because they can turn very nasty if neglected.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 day coma ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah Ha ! Nice one DT .

Yes, I've got it now . Adam goes into a delayed coma after his fall , Ellie thinks he's dead and goes into grief realising she loved him all along . Then he wakes up, and then they ride off into the sunset having created a new religion in the process.....

< Nerd Alert -- I've just watched the episode a 3rd time, have now deleted it as I don't wish to become the Rev. version of a Trekkie > [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that struck me most was the fact that after "meeting God" the next thing Adam did was resign. This puzzled me at first because from the usual TV/movie story-telling point of view, the Liam Neeson moment was the "turning point" after which the main character clearly sees his path and proceeds to do the right thing which then resolves the plot (happily usually).

But of course in this case many of us will not think of him resigning as the "right" thing necessarily (I mean right in a story sense as well as morally. Adam's fundamentally a good guy and a decent priest and therefore should "win" and not have to give it up.) AND there's still a part two so there's more plot to come and the turning point is not as close to the end as it usually is.

But there is of course another way to look at this which is the analogue with the Easter story. The Neeson scene in that context looks more like Gethsemane maybe?

Anyway maybe it is the right thing for Adam to resign. Maybe the story being told is that a Good Man needs to "die to" the religious establishment and be "resurrected" outside of it. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if Adam ends up still a Christian but not necessarily a working priest.

Maybe not. I will stick my neck out and say that St. Saviours will close. I think whatever redemption there is at the end of the story - and there will be some - Rev. has tried to give at least a truthful "flavour" of the current state of the CofE and I think it would be a radical departure for some last minute miraculous turn of events to save the building. (Ha! I nearly wrote Deus Ex Machina ending) As appropriate as that may be to Christian imagery it would strike a wrong note with the existing tone of the show IMHO.

But who knows. We'll soon see.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe The Rapture will occur........if it does, who do you think will go, and who will stay??

[Devil]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life imitating art!

And don't follow this link because it has an outline of the plot for episode 6 unless your curiosity gets the better of you.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hairy Biker, you are a Very Bad Person, so to put temptation in our way....... [Eek!]

.....but if everyone who watches Rev. regularly could somehow put ten shillings in the pot, St. Leonard's would have more than enough - not only to merely survive, but to expand their mission an outreach....... [Big Grin]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See... I said what Doublethink suggested when I first watched it and was persuaded by Mr Pia that it was a stupid suggestion. But now I've looked at HairyBiker's link [it's OK, no spoilers] and I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, my first thought was the right (if implausible) one.

I rewatched the episode yesterday, but the only additional thing that I noticed was how the Bishop broke the chocolate as if he were breaking the bread...

Is it nearly tomorrow yet?

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone I follow on Twitter posted a [url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdIKX3nsWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]link to a You tube preview[/url] for the final episode - the archdeacon and a reference...

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aargh I'm sure I deleted that space my tablet insists on putting in when I paste something, but it wouldn't let me preview (just gave me a blank tab). Sorry hosts.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One more day to go!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Higgs Bosun, what are these Christian Surveys and how does one join them?

x

AV

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
Adam fell and sustained a head injury and then saw a vision of God. So the way of the Cross might have been doing double duty as the road to Damascus. If Saul became fairly charismatic I suppose Adam might too.

I get your point that this may lead him to a change of spirituality (for want of a better word).

That he believes to have had a vision of God doesn't mean that he had a vision of God, of course. Still, I guess that issues of false visions wouldn't be in the script.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
Higgs Bosun, what are these Christian Surveys and how does one join them?

x

AV

The actual survey is done by an organization website at 'snapsurveys.com', but the sponsor is christian-research.org. I have no idea how they obtained my email address. I would suspect that they don't want people offering to do surveys, as this can create significant sample bias in the results.
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pia:

I rewatched the episode yesterday, but the only additional thing that I noticed was how the Bishop broke the chocolate as if he were breaking the bread...

Yes, I noticed that too. I think the metaphors were a bit mixed up.

I also noticed that we ended episode 5, not on Good Friday, but at the end of Maundy Thursday - church stripped bare, dark and in silence. I think we'll be in for some more pain before the glorious resurrection finale.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
I also noticed that we ended episode 5, not on Good Friday, but at the end of Maundy Thursday - church stripped bare, dark and in silence. I think we'll be in for some more pain before the glorious resurrection finale.

But we had already had the carrying of the cross. It was not a passion play in a modern setting, it was a story reflecting the Easter story.

This week has to be resurrection as a primary theme, I think. But I have no idea what this will mean. And I am NOT reading any spoilers.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Nigel were to write an article about it all is this the article he would write?

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't Adam's meeting with God / Liam Neeson his resurrection? Is the story arc focussing on Adam's story or the story of St Saviour's?

And that clergy disciplinary measure means that valid complaints aren't made either. e.g. Member of clergy whom all the Funeral Directors complained bitterly about to the church and there were so many other cock ups in addition ... A complaint of incompetency from the same church goes through the same system. The funeral directors couldn't see why the church couldn't deal with it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF is James Mumford? Who pissed in his Cheerios?

[ 28. April 2014, 07:22: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the same person do you think?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Is this the same person do you think?

Has all the hallmarks. The disgruntlement of the HTB crowd at Rev is one of the sadder and funnier things surrounding it.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know - but he just happens to be the brother of Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) whose father was a noted New Church leader back in the 80s.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sigh

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Even if transferred to another church (God help 'em!), Nigel would still be a total prat.

Better he be exterminated.

A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance.
Wrong. A Reader is licensed to a parish, a deanery and/or a diocese. To be licensed to a parish needs the acceptance of the PCC, which in practice often means the Churchwardens giving formal approval on behalf of the congregation. Formal approval from an incumbent is also usually needed. Most dioceses have a procedure for periodic re-licensing which for a parish Reader would need the formal endorsement of the incumbent and a Churchwarden.

Aside from Adam Smallbone most of the characters in Rev are recognisable caricatures but Nigel seems to do duty as a combination of all of them. He's portrayed as a full-time working colleague, rather like am assistant priest but without any obvious function. He robes for services but doesn't take an active part. In the last episode he's shown sitting in his chair doing nothing while everyone waits for a priest to arrive. In reality he would have been taking the first part of the service. Most of all - what does he do for a living? Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

I like Adam as a priest - he's a genuine believer and warm and caring as a pastor. His brief fling with Ellie was a matter of genuine concern to his wife but without clear evidence of serious wrongdoing I don't think it would be a matter for anyone else to turn into a formal complaint.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

Considering the level of research which has gone into Rev I think that's unlikely.

I would like to think that the mystery of Nigel's occupation and his 'fictional' Supermodel girlfriend may be explained.

For all we know, she may be real and Nigel is a 'kept man' or even a unemployed fantasist who dreams of being a Clergyman....!
(We had one of those in the orbit of my church in the 80's who dressed up in a Surplice and even fraudulently took Services(elsewhere) - so it may not be outside the experience of the clergy advisors).

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

Well, whoever the F he his - I would like to thank him. The comments thread for his 'article' brought me back to SoF after a fairly long absence from lurking... and I have loved reading this thread.

I am so looking forward to the finale.

Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't know - but he just happens to be the brother of Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) whose father was a noted New Church leader back in the 80s.

Still is! Still are, I should say, as it's James and Marcus Mumford's father and mother who are the national leaders (for that is their title, apparently) of the UK & Ireland Vineyard Churches organisation.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah - I don't move much in those circles, so I didn't know. Thanks.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:

A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance.
Wrong. A Reader is licensed to a parish, a deanery and/or a diocese. To be licensed to a parish needs the acceptance of the PCC, which in practice often means the Churchwardens giving formal approval on behalf of the congregation. Formal approval from an incumbent is also usually needed. Most dioceses have a procedure for periodic re-licensing which for a parish Reader would need the formal endorsement of the incumbent and a Churchwarden.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I am looking at my licence. It explicitly names my incumbent (within the deanery, not the parish, interestingly). When our incumbent changed, I needed a new license.

(In London) when someone is proposed for reader training it needs the approval of the incumbent and the PCC. The latter is evidenced by the signature of the PCC secretary (not a Church Warden, unless they are the same) to say that the PCC passed a motion of support.

When a transfer is requested, the new incumbent has to sign to say that the PCC approves.

Relicensing requires a simple message (an email sufficed last year) indicates that the incumbent and PCC is willing to have a reader relicensed.

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

quote:
Originally posted by Son of a preacherman:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

Well, whoever the F he his - I would like to thank him. The comments thread for his 'article' brought me back to SoF after a fairly long absence from lurking... and I have loved reading this thread.

Lest people form a judgement of James Mumford from an HTB testimony, you might like to read this. Some HTBers might have more connection with places like the parish of St Saviour's than you might think.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Thank you.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016