homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rev. BBC2 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rev. BBC2
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
Most of all - what does he do for a living? Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

According to The Rev. Diaries Nigel works part time for Transport for London, "on roundabouts, I think"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
quote:

A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance.
Wrong. A Reader is licensed to a parish, a deanery and/or a diocese. To be licensed to a parish needs the acceptance of the PCC, which in practice often means the Churchwardens giving formal approval on behalf of the congregation. Formal approval from an incumbent is also usually needed. Most dioceses have a procedure for periodic re-licensing which for a parish Reader would need the formal endorsement of the incumbent and a Churchwarden.
I am looking at my licence. It explicitly names my incumbent (within the deanery, not the parish, interestingly). When our incumbent changed, I needed a new license.

(In London) when someone is proposed for reader training it needs the approval of the incumbent and the PCC. The latter is evidenced by the signature of the PCC secretary (not a Church Warden, unless they are the same) to say that the PCC passed a motion of support.

When a transfer is requested, the new incumbent has to sign to say that the PCC approves.

Relicensing requires a simple message (an email sufficed last year) indicates that the incumbent and PCC is willing to have a reader relicensed.

Readers in the Church of England
quote:
There are more than 10,000 active Readers in the Church of England. Most are licensed to a parish but some are chaplains in prisons, hospitals, hospices or schools, a few are in charge of parishes.

A license may include the name of a nominating incumbent but it's clear from Bishops' Regulations (pdf) that Readers are licensed to a diocese and usually to a named deanery or parish within the diocese. In an interregnum the Reader continues in ministry and when a new incumbent is appointed he/she is expected after six months to re-nominate the Reader to the bishop for the license to be updated.

In practice many Readers get little support from anyone.

[ 28. April 2014, 16:12: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Apart from Beelzebub.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of a preacherman:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
WTF is James Mumford? Who pissed in his Cheerios?

Well, whoever the F he his - I would like to thank him. The comments thread for his 'article' brought me back to SoF after a fairly long absence from lurking... and I have loved reading this thread.

I am so looking forward to the finale.

What comments thread - nothing appears through the link?
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Son of a preacherman - welcome back. We did have a Clergymans Daughter here once, but she has changed her name since. You two would probably get on.

It is not unknown for a reader to work pretty much full time at a church. Not paid, but someone who is kept in some way - they have their own money, or an income from somewhere that leaves them free most of the week.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
One more day to go!

Two more hours to go !

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On air.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sooo, what did we think ....

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that made Mr Mumford's diatribe look a little silly, didn't it? (blows nose loudly)

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Just wow. I'm not easily moved to tears but my eyes became very moist

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Son of a preacherman - welcome back. We did have a Clergymans Daughter here once, but she has changed her name since. You two would probably get on.

It is not unknown for a reader to work pretty much full time at a church. Not paid, but someone who is kept in some way - they have their own money, or an income from somewhere that leaves them free most of the week.

I have known a stipendiary reader. Reduction of priests in a group, priest and 'lay missioner' appointed, lay person appointed was a reader.

Still sad from the episode, but such a powerful ending.

CArys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, sadly not quite the Resurrection I was hoping for, but a bitter-sweet 'resurrection' none-the-less.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....... thinking..... praying .....

--------------------

Cartmel Veteran
Shipmate
# 7049

- Posted      Profile for Cartmel Veteran   Author's homepage   Email Cartmel Veteran   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprised to say this given I've loved all three series and defended the show many times...but that final episode did absolutely nothing at all for me.

I didn't laugh. I wasn't emotionally moved. And I got more fed up with Adam letting Colin being a bully.

Also I think Adam made the right choice to quit, but he was looking for the wrong jobs. There are places someone that caring can make a big difference and to more than his six bullying parishioners.

Posts: 1041 | From: Dorset | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's left it open as to what he does next. He seemed to be very close to getting that £60K consulting job (plus Blackberry!) but clearly didn't want it.

Then he says to God, 'you've got me back in a cassock again' (or words to that effect) ... 'at least for a bit.' I think 'a bit' could easily mean 20 years.

The voiceover just before it started suggested we were going to see Liam Neeson again - did I miss him? And - I looked away for an instant - on the first shot of the vicarage, was there a For Sale sign?

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marge, I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

It's an ending, that's enough.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was an ending.

It was a resurrection. Of Adams faith, I think, not of the church. He will find something to go to, probably still as a priest, maybe not so tied to a parish.

And Alex must surely be earning quite a packet. They should be able to afford somewhere without him earning anything.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the end I found it a good ending (or at least the best we were likely to get).

In keeping with the sign and symbol from the previous episode there was plenty to spot.

Adam takes to his bed and cant be found, before Easter Sunday dawns. All his friends are lost without him, even (especially) Colin! Its noticeable he calls for 'Adam' and not 'Vicarage' in this episode - I think that's the first time.

Genuine development for Colin's character, where he shows Adam how let down he feels, and its a splendid performance in a character who its easy to play as a stereotype .

Its the women (Alex and Ellie) who decide to go to the church early in the morning on Easter Sunday , and wake up Adam.

The church (the tomb?) has to be opened , and by further analogy , Adam no longer needs it (just as Jesus no longer needs a tomb).

But I'm sure everyone here spotted all these.

I was hoping for something a bit more interesting for Nigel though - as I said before.

So the series ends I think. Adam looks likely to remain a Priest, but somewhere else.

Hopefully they don't try to transplant the series to another Parish as St Saviour's is as much a character as the regular cast. Best to end here while you're ahead.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

OK, I'm getting there. Firstly, whatever that was I have never felt like that watching TV before.

If I allow myself to continue with the Passion Play scenario then the death, harrowing of Hell, residing in the Tomb and resurrection were all there.

I am a little uncomfortable (mostly because of the Ship) that the person of Christ resides so firmly in a Priest, this story must be true for all Christians but it is called "Rev." So I am just going to have to deal with that, we all have our vocations, our deaths, our resurrections.

Because we know "What Happened Next." It is taking me a while to come to terms with the new risen Adam, as it must have taken them (Christ's followers) by surprise too.

It is perfect that he was like a new-born, afraid and unsure. It is perfect that the last scene is a baptism (echoing the Communion at the end of the last series) and placing our Baptism above all else.

Adams lying in bed (the tomb) reciting the Beatitudes was unbearable, the re-opening f the Church (rolling the Stone away) was AWESOME and I just cried when he put his folded grave clothes (Alb NOT cassock fools) back on.

The Exsultet! Oh my, weeping now as I think of it.

So much more to say, but in terms of Grace, I have to say they hit the nail on the head, no pun intended.

I now think his wife is the Holy Spirit btw.

I am full of admiration for the whole crew, cast and writers. To think so many non-Christians were entered into such a mystery. Praise be to God.

He is RISEN indeed, Alleluia!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it make me really shallow if I say that I really exulted when he told Nigel to 'F*** off!', not once but twice? [Devil]

I wish he'd managed to tell Colin that he (Colin) had also let Adam down, by spreading lies as fact and effectively making it impossible for Adam to stay in ministry there.

Two quotes I loved - 'I do humility very, very well. I don't know anyone who does humility better than me'.

And the girl in the shop, who's always sneering - 'You can mind the till for me, I've got to go and sign on' [Killing me]

I find Rev. quite painful to watch, and agree that they should *not* transplant it elsewhere!

Oh, and I didn't see a 'For Sale' sign.

Mrs. S, lost in admiration of Alex [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it almost unbearably moving.

All that Pyx_e said, plus: when Adam in his tomb/bed, reciting the beatitudes, and the other characters are praying (and how often do we see this on tv?) they expose their self-delusions, the stories they tell about themselves to protect themselves to God, they expose them to his light. I thought this bit was extraordinary. The harrowing of hell, indeed.

When Alex said to Adam, 'you are a priest', that was an intensely powerful moment (for me, anyway). And then as she helped him on with his alb.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And saying 'As in Adam all die, but in Christ all shall be made alive' this morning had a new resonance.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dare I be a party-pooper?

I loved this and, like others, found it moving - but aren't we allowing ourselves to be too carried away by what was, after all, only a television programme?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

It's a hallmark of art (understood in a broad sense) that it allows a rich plurality of meanings in excess of the intentions of its makers, no?

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I loved this and, like others, found it moving - but aren't we allowing ourselves to be too carried away by what was, after all, only a television programme?

Television is just the medium. Some viewers find the message(s) it carried to be worthy of examination.

I watched the last episode this morning - very teary!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:

Its only the Gospel.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only a television programme? Wow, snobbery lives and breathes.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They'll be saying football's only a game next.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think this just indicates how poor the majority of television is these days. It was always supposed to educate, to inform and to entertain, and Rev. has done all this and more. And it isn't as if we were all petitioning the Church authorities to Save St. Saviour's, as people no doubt would if it were in East Enders.

After all, I'm sure the Lord Chamberlain would have said Shakespeare only wrote plays...

Having said all that, I stopped watching CSI Miami when I discovered myself caring about the characters [Hot and Hormonal] (used to allow myself one hour/week of trash telly). I think I felt manipulated by that in a way I haven't found in Rev.

Mrs. S, comparing & contrasting her own parish [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant ending - an Easter glimmer - elusive as in Mark's gospel when it ends at 16:8

Liked the different characters praying - still maintaining that the were innocent - don't we all pray our illusions now and then?

Good to hear the Exultet sung in tune - it's my party piece but took a lot of learning originally - rarely do people manage that and good on the actor for learning it - though why in Latin?

I think that we DID learn more about Nigel - he was looking at a gay dating site but criticising the dress sense of those with photos - methinks internally homophobic = not able to accept himself.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

Apart from Beelzebub.
I've called my vicar many names but that isn't one of them!

I get regular supervision and appraisal/review.

Nigel is all too common amongst some readers, I fear - they didn't make it to 'vicar' so criticise anyone who does, they dress up and sit upfront even when not on duty so aren't really part of the congregation and dislike the term 'lay' applied to them - (The term 'lay Reader' was altered to 'Reader' but at least some diocese now use the term 'licensed LAY minister'.

[ 29. April 2014, 11:13: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmel Veteran:
Surprised to say this given I've loved all three series and defended the show many times...but that final episode did absolutely nothing at all for me.

I didn't laugh. I wasn't emotionally moved. And I got more fed up with Adam letting Colin being a bully.

Also I think Adam made the right choice to quit, but he was looking for the wrong jobs. There are places someone that caring can make a big difference and to more than his six bullying parishioners.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I sympathise. It felt as if it ought to have been deep and moving, but it came across as rather trite and unresolved. I really didn't like the "prayer montage", despite the airing of the hoary joke about being really good at humility - it seemed very clunky, and destroyed the special relationship between the viewer and Adam. Up to then, he was the only one who had these inner monologues. Making everyone do it in the same formulaic way felt wrong, although I understand why they did it.

I think I'm going to have to watch it again, but last week felt moving and poignant. This week, despite having its moments, was a bit meh.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any one know how many episodes in this current series? Up to six now I think.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I am a little uncomfortable (mostly because of the Ship) that the person of Christ resides so firmly in a Priest, this story must be true for all Christians

Indeed - but, in times of weakness, we often want priests to 'model' Christ for us.

This is why catholically-minded Christians see ordination as indelible.

I am suspicious of clergy who plug indelibility - it seems to smack of self-aggrandizement to me.

However, Adam's sense of vocation seemed strengthened when prays something on the lines of 'You don't seem to want to let me go.' cf. well-known hymn.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
Any one know how many episodes in this current series? Up to six now I think.

It's finished, surely and there is no intention to start another series - though the illusive ending of this series leaves the door open, should they change their minds.

--------------------

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I think that we DID learn more about Nigel - he was looking at a gay dating site but criticising the dress sense of those with photos - methinks internally homophobic = not able to accept himself.

That was kind of what I meant - although Nigel as a closeted gay man refusing to accept the obvious probably wasn't the most INTERESTING explanation for the way he ticks, but it probably is the easiest to do with the screen time available.

Closeted Gay Man seems quite similar to things the series has already done (to some extent) with the Archdeacon in series 2, who has to choose between love and promotion, and the Gay Wedding story.

It does explain, in part, why he transfers his own personal judgementalism on to others, and Adam in particular.

I will have to watch the scenes again when he is opposite the Archdeacon who Nigel presumably knows is an 'out' gay man, with this extra knowledge.

I thought that :

Nigel as a serial fantasist, possibly using a false identity, could have had a lot more comic potential and could have been threaded through the series until he finally tripped himself up. I really thought that was where we were going. Maybe in a parallel universe version.

I fancied that, as I know for a fact it has occured in real life (no folks , it wasn't me...but I was there).

I still thought all of series 3 was a triumph (and its probably better for the good of all concerned that I'm not the script writer).

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Only a television programme? Wow, snobbery lives and breathes.

Please remember that we are in Heaven.

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Good to hear the Exultet sung in tune - it's my party piece but took a lot of learning originally - rarely do people manage that and good on the actor for learning it - though why in Latin?

I have no idea why, but it was perfect. It would not have been the same in English.

Adam has been reclothed in white, and now needs to find his new role. His faith is returned, his church gone.

So yes, I do feel some empathy with him, because that is something of my journey.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume that BT meant "Only a tv programme" in the same way as one could say "only a novel / film / etc". Not a criticism of the art form as such, more that it's "only" art, not aiming to be inspirational.

But I would still maintain that even "only" art can still teach & encourage, and describe make some complicated things clear in a way that direct explanation cannot. Er, if that makes sense.

Rev has done a wonderful job of articulating a faith like mine - distinctly wobbly much of the time, and overwhelmed with cynicism almost always, but still hanging on. It's also a brilliant description of the life of church, and yes the life of corporate faith - which is one of the things the Mumford article got so wrong, I think.

I liked the episode, and think I will watch it again to mull it over some more. The prayers were a bit of a surprise, but I still thought they were good & useful to the plot. Alex's was excellent. My only (minor) complaint, is that Nigel looking at the gay dating sites seemed a bit thrown in as an afterthought.

But - oh, the light through the church doors when they broke in. One of the best bits of telly in a long, long time.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:

But - oh, the light through the church doors when they broke in. One of the best bits of telly in a long, long time.

I woke up at 2am this morning very clear on the only place where I'd actually seen redemption and blessing done better - and it was the light in this scene that triggered it;

it's a little unfair comparing Rev to acknowledged cinematic genius (the more so when the film was in black and white with all the extra lighting possibilities in monochrome), but, the last 20 minutes of Powell and Pressburger's "A Canterbury Tale" - from the moment Dennis Price gets a halo in the railway carriage, through the light being let into the caravan when Alison discovers her fiancee isn't dead, to the breathtaking service in Canterbury Cathedral.

Yes, I do appear to be comparing Rev to Powell and Pressburger. I'm not sure I can think of higher praise (or, higher art).

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I presume that BT meant "Only a tv programme" in the same way as one could say "only a novel / film / etc". Not a criticism of the art form as such, more that it's "only" art, not aiming to be inspirational.

Yes, that's the idea - although I also wanted to remind folk that, however profound it may have been, it was first and foremost conceived of as entertainment.

Mind you, so were Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, that's the idea - although I also wanted to remind folk that, however profound it may have been, it was first and foremost conceived of as entertainment.

Mind you, so were Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas!

Yes and the need to entertain trumped a lot of what could have been. Sometimes the comedy was a needed relief from seriousness but some of the time it intruded.
Still it's not often we get a series about faith that takes it subject seriously enough to wrestle with the options.

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've just completed an online survey on 'Rev' for "Christian Surveys", having been invited to do so by email. No idea who they are. However, I did not check the "don't send me the results" box, so I might be able to post a link to the results here in due course.

The survey was Mrs Mariner's idea and I suggested it to Christian Research who made it happen. Full results here.

[ 29. April 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of the Easter message was there , and reading the comments above has helped my appreciation of that .
Each of the cast doing their prayers, the Archdeacon Robert explaining as to why he always throws Adam's coffee away ? All this leads me to believe this, without doubt, was the last Rev to be made.

What really did it for me was taking out Bongo -- A master stroke, even though I guessed something of that order was coming .
My partner was astute enough to notice Colin grabbing the Easter egg from the shop saying "Bongo can have that" . She said 'chocolate can kill a dog' .

The riddle of the chocolate, from the previous episode, has been solved for me . This one aspect of last night's finale lead me to feel moved for most of today.

< Shall be watching it again for sure , and again....>

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
In an interregnum the Reader continues in ministry and when a new incumbent is appointed he/she is expected after six months to re-nominate the Reader to the bishop for the license to be updated.

Snd should the new incombet not want the Reader, s/he might move to another church BUT has to stay in the ciongregation for a year before attempting to get a newe license.

i used to think this was harsh but recent experience makes me think that this is a good idea.

So were the series of 'Rev' be resuscitated, Nigel would not pop up again with Adam.

For as in Adam all die.....

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hope they don't go down the commercially tempting route of a 'Christmas Special' [Eek!]

Someone on twitter wrote that 'The church building couldn't be saved, but the people have been'.

And that's the message we've been left with. There is the germ of the church there, even though the physical building is no longer available. And they came together when it mattered, rather like the disciples all ready for Pentecost.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or the 'Upper Room', which was locked for fear of the authorities - or locked by the authorities? Perhaps there's a touch of prophetic ministry, the church being reborn without the church building. Forgiveness, a return to life, proclaiming the resurrection against the complaints and denials of the locals - a great ending. Not perfect, but nothing is (do I need to say, 'except God'?).

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it the ending you thought you spotted last week, Chorister?

A moving conclusion - if that's what it was! - and a salutary lesson (if any of them were watching) to folk in our neighbouring parish, facing imminent closure, insofar that we have been reminded that the Church is the people, not the building, however much loved it might be....

......and one would like to think of Rev. Adam continuing in priestly ministry somewhere, somehow - but please, as someone else has said, no Christmas Special!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Snd should the new incombet not want the Reader, s/he might move to another church BUT has to stay in the ciongregation for a year before attempting to get a newe license.

There's no 'has to' about how long a Reader needs to wait before being formally licensed to a new parish. The guidelines say 6 months, however a Reader who has moved to a new parish can be asked to preach and lead worship at any time. It isn't necessary to be formally licensed to a parish in order to preach regularly. Many Readers are licensed to a deanery or to the diocese, or have PTO. In some areas Readers operate within a circuit system similar to Methodist Local Preachers. There's plenty of room for flexibility.

Nigel remains licensed even though the church has closed.

[ 29. April 2014, 19:39: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking about how the rolling-the-stone-away moment involved breaking into the church (rather than out of the tomb), and then realised that the two are fundamentally the same thing - in breaking out of the tomb, Christ breaks into the world, into the Church, which is symbolised but not contained by the building. Is this the answer to the question that the Diocesan Secretary and Area Dean keep asking: 'How can we do/be Church in a place like this?'?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016