homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rev. BBC2 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rev. BBC2
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passion Play Cast

Adam / Christ

Alex / Holy Spirit. ("We are going to stay at my father's house")

Liam / Father.

Baby / The Church

Colin / Peter

Nigel / Judas

Bishop / Pilate

Diocesan Sec - Area Dean / Sadducees and Pharisees

Ellie / Mary Mag

Archdeacon / John? (bit of a stretch)

Adoah?

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bearing in mind her propensity to mother anything that moves, would Adoah not be Mary, Jesus' mother.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adoah would be more like Martha I would think. And the Archdeacon more like the centurion who stood by the Cross.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So the message seems to be: 'The Church/ Body of Christ has to die, in order to be resurrected.'

An apposite thought, in the current climate of opinion about the C of E.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly enough the United Reformed Church, when it was formed in 1972, was envisaged to have only a short life as it would be the first step in all the churches joining together in one great pan-denomination and thus become subsumed within it.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I think that we DID learn more about Nigel - he was looking at a gay dating site but criticising the dress sense of those with photos - methinks internally homophobic = not able to accept himself.

That was kind of what I meant - although Nigel as a closeted gay man refusing to accept the obvious probably wasn't the most INTERESTING explanation for the way he ticks, but it probably is the easiest to do with the screen time available.

Closeted Gay Man seems quite similar to things the series has already done (to some extent) with the Archdeacon in series 2, who has to choose between love and promotion, and the Gay Wedding story.

It does explain, in part, why he transfers his own personal judgementalism on to others, and Adam in particular.

I will have to watch the scenes again when he is opposite the Archdeacon who Nigel presumably knows is an 'out' gay man, with this extra knowledge.

If you hadn't even considered that Nigel was closeted, just from the episode you mention, I'm struggling to see how it could have been made clearer. Possibly if he'd dressed up in a pink leotard and jumped up and down inside an actual closet, shouting "I'm not gay!" Possibly. The only possible room for doubt was whether it was a deliberate attempt to mislead the viewer into assuming something that wasn't actually true.

And I'm afraid I'm thoroughly sick of the desperate attempts to find exact parallels between Rev and the Easter story. Some of them are blindingly obvious, and the scriptwriters deserve to be beaten about the head with a sledgehammer until they understand the meaning of subtle. Some of the parallels just aren't there, they're things you want to see, and you're arguing over angels on a pinhead.

This is just cementing my view that this was a rather poor and ill-conceived conclusion. The series deserved (and promised) so much more than a crude, inspiration-free allegory that even C.S.Lewis would have balked at.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Art, meh.

--------------------

Karl Kroenen
Apprentice
# 16822

- Posted      Profile for Karl Kroenen   Email Karl Kroenen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At risk of over analysing, perhaps this series is more sinister than we think, with lots of subtle dark symbolism.

We all know how God removes a SMALLBONE from ADAM to create Woman (Gen 2 21 -25). Adam’s wife in Rev is of course, quite literally A.Smallbone.

The whole series is named after the final book of the New Testament, otherwise known as THE APOCALYPSE.

3 Series of six (excluding the Christmas special of series 2)? Uh oh – that makes 666.
[Mad]

--------------------
God loves you so much that He created Hell, just in case you don't love Him back.

Posts: 34 | From: Bristol | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also with hidden references to Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress": St. Saviour-in-the-Marshes = the dreaded Slough of Despond! [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nigel remains licensed even though the church has closed.

In the Church of England Parishes don't close. So the parish of St Saviour's will presumably be merged with a neighbouring parish. In this kind of circumstance, I guess, it would be as if Nigel has a new incumbent - who, as has been said, can choose not to renew his licence in due course.

Perhaps to take this sub-thread in a different direction - much has been said about Adam as an example of a priest, good or otherwise. Do we consider Nigel to be a good advertisement for Reader Ministry, or not?

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As has been pointed out above, Nigel has never been seen doing anything in a service, apart from attempting to re-start Ellie's wedding using the BCP. So on that count, not for me.

Also, wasn't he turned down for ordained ministry in the last series - suggesting that all readers are actually frustrated clerics, who sabotage the current incumbent, believing they could run the parish far better than the current vicar, given the chance (I've met a few of these). Also not good.

And now I'm watching Tom Hollander as Dylan Thomas. Not strange at all. But he's fat - augh!

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an Incontrovertible Truth, valid throughout the multiverse, that Readers can run the parish much better than the Vicar......

......I'll get me cassock.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Was it the ending you thought you spotted last week, Chorister?

I and another shipmate (who communicated with me by PM) thought we saw an interesting piece of paper? envelope? on one of the pews being taken out of the church (which may have been hidden when in situ). I did rather fancy that it might have been a fat cheque, or some other way out of church closure, from some generous benefactor, which might have fallen down behind the pew and not seen, only to be revealed when the whole place was dismantled.

It was not to be. And would have been too fairytale an ending. Under the circumstances, I much preferred the more poignant ending which really happened.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered whether the fire left burning in the barrel might lead to an accident - gaining sufficient money from insurance to renovate the building.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I wondered whether the fire left burning in the barrel might lead to an accident - gaining sufficient money from insurance to renovate the building.

Or rebuild?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better than the Diocesan Arsonist, surely...
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda

Not many Dioceses have these anymore. Its the cut-backs. The C of E must be seen to be doing it's bit.

All in together, you know.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts on the last couple of episodes are on my blog - link in sig.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:

In the Church of England Parishes don't close. So the parish of St Saviour's will presumably be merged with a neighbouring parish. In this kind of circumstance, I guess, it would be as if Nigel has a new incumbent - who, as has been said, can choose not to renew his licence in due course.

Perhaps to take this sub-thread in a different direction - much has been said about Adam as an example of a priest, good or otherwise. Do we consider Nigel to be a good advertisement for Reader Ministry, or not?

I think he's an appalling ad. for Readers and i find myself defending myself by 'es I'm a Reader but not like Nigel.'

Someone will doubtless reply,'Oh yes you are.'

'O no I'm not'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Also, wasn't he turned down for ordained ministry in the last series - suggesting that all readers are actually frustrated clerics, who sabotage the current incumbent, believing they could run the parish far better than the current vicar, given the chance (I've met a few of these). Also not good.

Yes he was, then he attempted suicide by climbing on toe the roof until Adam talked him down.

Reader ministry is entirely different from ordained ministry but many see getting licensed as some sort of consolation prize.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by The great Gumby
Possibly if he'd dressed up in a pink leotard and jumped up and down inside an actual closet, shouting "I'm not gay!"

Now that I would pay to see. But is it Art?

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Oh yes you are.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:

After Vetting and Barring, Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and Training the Bristol Diocesan Arsonist is now only allowed to stand 20 yards from any place of public worship, wearing a high vis jacket, leather gauntlets, safety goggles and a hard hat while and holding an un-lit zippo at arms length. A properly certified "official" has to stand within 5 paces with a foam fire extinguisher.

This parody is bought to you care of The C of E. Our motto is "Putting out the fire for 400 years."

[ 01. May 2014, 13:13: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
And the Archdeacon more like the centurion who stood by the Cross.

Just a thought on this association - the archdeacon is Nicodemus, the closet believer.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Oh yes you are.

In which case, i'm moving to your parish so i can sort you out.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

It's behind you.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
The archdeacon is Nicodemus, the closet believer.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a closet - but I certainly believe in them. (Mind you, there were one or two in a TV programme about the Georgians the other night).
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
It's behind you.

Yes it is - the area dean's fat arse.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Reader ministry is entirely different from ordained ministry but many see getting licensed as some sort of consolation prize.
And some of us see it as a valid approach to personal ministry, having explored ordination. And still find rejection.

The CofE has the core problem, because IME, they do not see the value of a range of ministry. It is Ordination or lesser ministry.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It only occurred to me today that Mick didn't appear in any of the later episodes. Could this be because he was seen as too much of a comic character?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It only occurred to me today that Mick didn't appear in any of the later episodes. Could this be because he was seen as too much of a comic character?

I assumed it might have been because the actor playing him wasn't available to take part.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How could Mick follow his dressing up to seduce the vicar act? Better left at that, I think.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes] Forgot about that!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't think Nigel provided any sort of advertisement for Reader Ministry because he didn't do anything specific to Reader ministry apart from wearing the robes. He didn't preach or lead worship or engage in any kind of teaching. Instead he acted as churchwarden, parish secretary, treasurer and Adam's personal assistant.

There's a lot of ignorance about Reader ministry. A Readers isn't licensed by the incumbent or to the incumbent - it's the bishop who does the licensing. If a new incumbent didn't agree to Nigel being relicensed to the new parish then his general license to the diocese would remain and he'd be involved in discussions about alternatives.

Nigel wasn't Judas because Adam wasn't Jesus. There was no case to justify action against Adam because the mistakes he made didn't amount to an improper relationship. But he did make mistakes and there was on the face of it grounds to investigate. This example was petty but in RL there's a lot of covering up and turning a blind eye to things that are far from petty.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's probably a Purgatory thread in discussing how the Clergy Discipline Measure works, or doesn't ... but in real life the first conversation between the priest and the Archdemon or Bishop is the one where the priest is shown the written complaint. And in life, as in art, such a letter doesn't do a lot for relationships between the complainant and the priest, which can rather affect the willingness of some people to raise issues.

I don't have time to start a Purgatory thread, now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing the interest in this one character I'm left wondering if there's room for a follow up sit-com entitled 'Nigel'.

Something that has occurred to me , having watched the final episode again, is that Alex, (one of the few secular characters), was the only one who was really capable of displaying true, unconditional forgiveness.
All said and done I would say Rev. was indeed comic genius that moved it's audience, but underneath there existed a dark analysis of Christianity and all it's proponents, from the very top to the very bottom.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just discovered Rev. and watched the first two episodes of season 1 last night. What is with Nigel's vestments? I gather that he's a reader. Is it common in the CofE for readers to wear a surplice with a blue thing-that's-not-quite-a-stole like Nigel? What I normally see on readers in TEC is an alb.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes - I usually wear ab and blue scarf at mass but surplice, scarf and hood for evensong.

But the legal garb for everything is the latter.

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Yes - I usually wear ab and blue scarf at mass but surplice, scarf and hood for evensong.

But the legal garb for everything is the latter.

Thanks--you know how movies and TV routinely get these things wrong!

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Rev was mostly 'correct' because they had so many clergy advising them.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed.

As far as I could see, they only "got things wrong" when they were doing so deliberately for the purposes of the storyline and the comedy. A certain degree of artistic licence needs to be allowed - this ain't a documentary!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016