homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Syrup and bacon? Yeah, I reckon that works. When I was a kid I used to put marmelade and bacon on my toast.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Malt loaf spread with Marmite.

My standard hill-walking rucksack lunch is a malt loaf, backed up with a flask of soup in winter. While walking in Scotland one year it became apparent that I was the one in our party who was being singled out for the attention of the Scottish Biting Midge - Culicoides impunctatus. Reading that vitamin B seemed to repel these wee beasties I spread my malt loaf with Marmite to give me a vitamin B refresher through the day. The effect on the midges was never conclusively proved, but I've spread Marmite on my malt loaf ever since.

Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Maple smoked bacon is very common in Canada. And quite nice too, if I recall my carnivorous days properly.

That's generally what I buy on weekends when Z is making omelets: she cooks the eggs in the grease!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black pepper on cantaloupe is nice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrambled egg with Heinz salad cream.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baked beans with a dash of malt vinegar and a sprinkling of sage.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
Baked beans with a dash of malt vinegar and a sprinkling of sage.

Baked beans seem to me an underused resource in the context of food creativity. I once made what I claimed to be "Mexican" by mixing baked beans, Worcester Sauce, harissa, minced beef and random vegetables inside a tortilla wrap.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Madrigal:
Malt loaf spread with Marmite.

My standard hill-walking rucksack lunch is a malt loaf, backed up with a flask of soup in winter. While walking in Scotland one year it became apparent that I was the one in our party who was being singled out for the attention of the Scottish Biting Midge - Culicoides impunctatus. Reading that vitamin B seemed to repel these wee beasties I spread my malt loaf with Marmite to give me a vitamin B refresher through the day. The effect on the midges was never conclusively proved, but I've spread Marmite on my malt loaf ever since.

This sounds like amazing hill-walking, energy food but so gross. Not sure if I'd dare risk a first time up a mountain. Maybe best for first tasting as a drunk food!
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
What other unlikely combinations have people found that taste nice?

Put one orange section in your mouth; add one saltine cracker. Chew slowly.

Who'da thunk.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Baked beans seem to me an underused resource in the context of food creativity.

I know quite a few who put baked beans into their shepherd's pie (or is it shepherds' pie - I always think it should be the latter, but normally see the former). My addition to that dish to make extra special is a bit of black pudding, which also works well as accompaniment to roast chicken.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A number of these combinations seem to be fat plus sugar, which a TV programme recently identified as a) not being found in nature, and b) incapable of triggering the sated response. Thus while we would stop eating a purely fatty substance fairly soon, and the same with a purely sweet stuff, together we would go on, and on, and on.... the examples were icecream and cheesecake, but bacon and maple syrup would seem to fit as well.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, bacon has protein and you tend to get sated by that.

Gammon with orange/marmalade or apricot or various other sweet glazes comes to mind too, which would be why bacon and marmalade possibly works.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that depended on the rasher...and how they were cooked.

And I'm wondering why the three foods I don't get sated by are lemon meringue pie, queen of puddings, and fish pie (the sort topped by potato). The first two have eggs and sugars, but not the last. And I'm not the only one for that. I may have mentioned ordinands at Canterbury going up for third helpings on Good Friday.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
when Z is making omelets: she cooks the eggs in the [bacon] grease!

Well, of course! In what else? But you haven't lived until you've made toast by frying bread in the bacon grease.

Speaking of omelets: corn. A hotel I stayed at in Puerto Rico served omelets one morning made with pepper, onion, cheese and corn. My favorite way now! (Cooked in bacon grease, naturally.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love cream cheese and smoked salmon on those slightly sweet digestive crackers that come in mixed cracker boxes.

My best friend growing up used to like peanut butter on pancakes, which always struck my family as a little vile, although I suspect it was actually quite tasty. We recently ran out of maple syrup, which caused me to finally have to try blackstrap molasses on pancakes. I thought it was rather tasty.

(Interesting food fact: the "natural flavor" that they put in Aunt Jemima style imitation maple syrup to make it taste vaguely like the real stuff? Fenugreek.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
... the "natural flavor" that they put in Aunt Jemima style imitation maple syrup to make it taste vaguely like the real stuff? Fenugreek ...

Really?

I'm now debating whether to tell D. about that - he reckons he doesn't like fenugreek, but AJ's maple syrup is so much cheaper than the Real Thing ...

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I have yet to find anyone else who will eat mashed avocado on toast spread with Marmite. I do not find this weird, but others see to.

Marmalade and Bacon is one of my elders favourites, debate has been held on whether this should be on:
  • Toast
  • Scottish Pancakes
  • Potato Cakes

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
AJ's maple syrup is so much cheaper than the Real Thing ...

You get what you pay for: artificially colored water sweetened with sugar and/or corn syrup. Vile. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
... the "natural flavor" that they put in Aunt Jemima style imitation maple syrup to make it taste vaguely like the real stuff? Fenugreek ...

Really?

I'm now debating whether to tell D. about that - he reckons he doesn't like fenugreek, but AJ's maple syrup is so much cheaper than the Real Thing ...

[Ultra confused]

I learned this from a brewing book, which suggested adding fenugreek to maple porters or browns, since real maple syrup is completely fermentable and will leave little of the maple flavor that you paid through the nose for in the actual beer. I just googled it to make sure that I wasn't spreading bad information, and discovered that fenugreek is also given to nursing mothers to increase milk production, with the side effect that the mother's sweat takes on a maple syrup odor.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like avocado with Marmite - there's a particularly nice sandwich recipe somewhere with goat's cheese, Marmite, avocado and lambs lettuce (possibly, might have been another leafy leaf) - goat's cheese on one piece of bread, Marmite on the other, everything else sandwiched between. (I suspect they recommended butter, but I don't butter bread)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
But you haven't lived until you've made toast by frying bread in the bacon grease.

If you've got an overhead grill and don't mind heart attacks, the best way to make bacon butties is by putting the bacon on the grill itself and the bread on the pan underneath it, so that all the bacon fat drips down onto the bread.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't thought of this until the waffles and syrop. My mother, wretched cook she was, used to take leftover Sunday waffles and make sandwiches out of them. If you remember 'sandwich spread' in a jar, sort of pink mayonnaise concoction with some floaty bits (pickles?). It seems to me we also had ketchup sometimes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Errm... one from my much younger days - Bonio with butter and cheese. Yes, really.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
Errm... one from my much younger days - Bonio with butter and cheese. Yes, really.

My father used to tell us about all sorts of things his rather poor family ate during the Great Depression. The best one was of my grandfather who had to do the shopping one day and was so pleased that he found cheap cookies for the kids. When my grandmother returned she demanded to know why they were eating dog biscuits!

Dad said they were a bit hard but OK when you dipped them in milk. [Big Grin]

[ 14. April 2014, 20:21: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
A number of these combinations seem to be fat plus sugar, which a TV programme recently identified as a) not being found in nature.

Do you mean the program identified sugar as not found in nature? If so, that's just plain crazy. Fructose is an integral part of fruit, as lactose is of milk. And sucrose of cugar cane and sugar beets (and a lot of other vegetables).

Or did it identify sugar and fat in combination? Which I might be willing to believe.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Generally when one reading of a sentence would render the claim patently absurd and the other reading renders the claim plausible, I'd suggest assuming that the latter is probably the intended meaning.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
A number of these combinations seem to be fat plus sugar, which a TV programme recently identified as a) not being found in nature.

Do you mean the program identified sugar as not found in nature? If so, that's just plain crazy. Fructose is an integral part of fruit, as lactose is of milk. And sucrose of cugar cane and sugar beets (and a lot of other vegetables).

Or did it identify sugar and fat in combination? Which I might be willing to believe.

John

Human breast milk is very much sugar and fat in combination (much sweeter than cow's milk), and probably explains human attraction to the combination.

Personally, salt and fat in combination is my downfall [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A number of these combinations seem to be fat plus sugar, which a TV programme recently identified as a) not being found in nature...

Coconuts.

Also to some extent green peas, broad beans, chickpeas, cashews...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:

John

It was the combination - and presumably sucrose or fructose, rather than lactose, as seen above. Once I'd given up sugar in my tea, I was surprised to find how sweet it remained.

They specified a 50% of each combination - and I have seen this written up somewhere before, probably New Scientist, though possibly the Guardian, especially since I recall it was tied to the suggestion that producers of processed foods were well aware of the attractiveness of the combination. As tobacco manufacturers were aware of the effects of nicotine. Though both publications can be political.

[ 15. April 2014, 08:51: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matza (Jewish Pessach/Passover carb) and vegemite!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like fish liberally daubed with tomato sauce - everybody else says yuk.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For many years I enjoyed vinegar sandwiches, right up until the day ants got into the vinegar which put me off somewhat

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spotted a bar of dark chocolate with haggis spices today. Really disappointed that I'd already organised my Paschal penguin chocolate, because that sounds as though it would have been a real treat for a lucky Shipmate. [Two face]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Matza (Jewish Pessach/Passover carb) and vegemite!

Matzo and peanut butter is a go-to snack for me. They used to have a huge bowl of matzo in my school's cafeteria during passover, and we gentiles quickly learned to love the stuff.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:

What's wrong with that? You can buy tins of fish in tomato sauce. I often do, they make a quick and easy lunch with salad, potato or pasta.
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sounds pretty normal to me and as has been mentioned supermarkets sell cans of sardines, pilchards and possibly mackerel in tomato sauce. It's healthy!
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Normal accompaniment, I'd have thought. Ketchup, anyway. Though possibly not for smoked fish, especially salmon.
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Potica (sweet pastry) and ham. Yum!

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite Chinese restaurant sells a dish called 'Strange Flavour Chicken', which is a mixture of cold chicken, diced cucumber and runny crunchy peanut butter. With chilli shreds. It is very strange, and is more quite nice than delicious. Maybe it is the texture as much as the flavour itself -- the cold runniness is really quite disconcerting.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Fish and sweetness does sound truely disgusting.

I've had an odd recipe in a Portuguese restaurant with plum and tomato jam on mackerel. While I like my mackerel plain and grilled, it did sort of work.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Mackerel and gooseberries has been suggested somewhere - haven't tried it.

[ 16. April 2014, 15:51: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be my suggestion. It works beautifully, as a tangy, sweet-sour sauce for an oily fish - definitely recommend it.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

What's wrong with that? You can buy tins of fish in tomato sauce. I often do, they make a quick and easy lunch with salad, potato or pasta.
There's a Portuguese dish of tuna steak cooked for a long time in the oven in tomatoes. It is delicious. Strangely I've never seen it outside of Portugal.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leftover cold Yorkshire pudding spread with jam (jelly in US). That's good.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Not sure about that if the pudding is cooked in dripping.

Oh, how I want some proper dripping from beef, with the jelly underneath, spread on wholemeal bread. I get some beef and roast it and there IS NO DRIPPING.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
My favourite Chinese restaurant sells a dish called 'Strange Flavour Chicken', which is a mixture of cold chicken, diced cucumber and runny crunchy peanut butter. With chilli shreds. It is very strange, and is more quite nice than delicious. Maybe it is the texture as much as the flavour itself -- the cold runniness is really quite disconcerting.

Sounds very Indonesian/Malayan to me - think of Gado Gado and similar dishes.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorkshire puddings are about the same thing as popovers, the difference being when you eat them (breakfast or supper), whether you used butter or grease to make them, and what you put on them or have them with. Popovers are the Xmas morning thing. With mincement or leftover butter tart filling. num num.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who doesn't recognise at least half of these combinations as "disgusting" in any way? Maybe not haute cuisine, nor even Marguerite Patten, but some are the "cheap tricks" of comfort food and student standbys.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Fish and sweetness does sound truely disgusting.

I'd make an exception of tinned tuna and sweetcorn. Mixed together with enough mayonnaise to bind and a generous grind of pepper, it makes an excellent sandwich filling, but I could just eat it from the bowl with a fork ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Anything, absolutely anything involving sweetcorn I cannot stand. There is a subtle flavour to it which my mouth rejects as unsuitable to eat. Don't know why, and I will eat it if courtesy demands, but yerrch...

No problem with cornflour and things made with it, or polenta, though, just the kernels.

[ 17. April 2014, 16:07: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016