homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TheAlethiophile's colleague is probably forgetting lemon: I can't think of a cuisine that doesn't involve lemon juice (or lime).

Grapes: Chicken (and indeed Sole) Veronique. Lamb and apricot. Melon and prosciutto. Gammon and pineapple. Beef mince curry with apple and sultanas. Venison and redcurrant.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm not sure that this would be seriously disgusting sounding, but I've discovered a new springtime snack: sugar peas dipped in hummus. I just polished off a cup of pods and a quarter cup of hummus- tang and sweet- so good! [Yipee]

Last summer while travelling, I discovered the joy of dipping sugar peas into peanut butter! Very satisfying, and made the wait for a late dinner much more bearable.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although legal definitions of fruit may vary, a cheeseburger with tomato ketchup is a classic meat and fruit combination.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another chicken and banana fan here - with lemon juice and butter added.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Although legal definitions of fruit may vary, a cheeseburger with tomato ketchup is a classic meat and fruit combination.

There's also a significant question mark over the legal definition of a cheeseburger as "meat". [Biased]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

There's also a significant question mark over the legal definition of a cheeseburger as "meat". [Biased]
There's also dairy produce, though that's questionable too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been quite a while since The Giant Cheeseburger posted on these boards, but let's be sensible of his feelings.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
It's been quite a while since The Giant Cheeseburger posted on these boards, but let's be sensible of his feelings.

A truly heavenly thing to say. [Angel]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Are there any other meat+fruit combinations shipmates are fond of?

Chinese roast duck in plum sauce.
Not forgetting Chinese lemon chicken.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My recollection is that there's a whole string of Scandinavian recipes for game, especially game birds, with berries in the sauce. And I can certainly remember enjoying duck with spiced plums at a northern Italian restaurant in a semi-rural part of Sydney. Then there's ham with pineapple, one of those near-inevitable combinations at motel and club restaurants as well as pizzerias.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of these would be worthy for What I Don't Want To See of a Sushi Roll , my constant reference source for strange and unusual food.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I have just realised that so far, I've never seen an ordinary ham and pineapple sushi, let alone one with a slice of cheese. Wait for it though, the Hawaiian sushi's coming soon.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
My recollection is that there's a whole string of Scandinavian recipes for game, especially game birds, with berries in the sauce.

Oh! You just reminded me of a delightful dinner we had in Finland...roast moose with cloudberry sauce! Absolutely to die for.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Alas, neither moose or cloudberries are available here. Good berries in general are hard to come by, as the climate's no more suitable than Florida's, an example plucked from the ether.

[ 11. May 2014, 11:46: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Ah, but perhaps fruits and berries native to the land of no snow, moose or cloudberries would be equally delicious. Mango sauce on gator tail, anyone?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Far too sweet for our tastes (and we have crocodiles here - don't know the difference but I think gators eat your left arm first, crocs start with the right). Roo with native pepperberries has been good though.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had gator fajitas (without mango). A bit chewy, but very tasty. The same restaurant that served them also had a desert menu including a pudding made from pears and liquorice: an unusual sounding combination, but surprisingly good.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mother use to fix mashed potatoes topped with stewed tomatoes. Not bad at all.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having lived in Canada for some years I can say that I have had bacon and maple syrup, celery and peanut butter with raisins and peanut butter and jam sandwiches and they all tasted fine. I can not say I have tried the famous Canadian dish known as Poutine and have no desire to do so either!
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard RevMotherRaphael.

There is an Introduction thread in All Saints, but it's not compulsory.

(Wise call on poutine btw).

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
... mashed potatoes topped with stewed tomatoes. Not bad at all.

Oh no - that sounds horrid to me. I like both elements on their own, but putting them together ... [Ultra confused]

I'll add my vote for the game/fruit sauce combos - I've had venison with blackberries, which was heavenly. As is pâté with crab-apple jelly.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Mother use to fix mashed potatoes topped with stewed tomatoes. Not bad at all.

Put some mature cheddar cheese on that and it sounds perfect.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had poutine. Its main purpose is to keep out the cold I think. (Also to ensure that it's impossible to take the President of Russia seriously in Québec.)

Funnily enough 'cheesy chips with gravy', which is basically the same thing, is apparently popular in the Isle of Man after enough beers.
quote:

Are there any other meat+fruit combinations shipmates are fond of?

Meat with fried plantain is very common in Caribbean cookery.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can buy chips, cheese and gravy here - very popular alternative to school dinners for secondary school pupils.

We had an omelette with a difference tonight - we accidentally fried off the bacon and onion in lemon infused rapeseed oil, instead of plain rapeseed. It was very nice!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fruit with game is very nice and I have tried a number of combinations such as boar with pear and blueberries and elk with cowberries. Come to think about it, cranberry with turkey, orange with duck and apple with pork are all quite traditional...and tasty!
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...as is lamb and cherries. (Yes I know lamb is't game.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poutine is of the Gods. despite Firenze being grumpy about it all. That being said, I no longer have the constitution to have it more than once a year.

But back long ago when I was working, we used to nip across the street at lunch to order a triple decker 4-cheese grilled sandwich with lots of bacon and with a medium poutine on the side. It is a wonder that so few of us dropped dead with massive heart attacks, but trust me when I say that that little takeaway had the best poutine in the whole of Ottawa-Hull, including outlying areas.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm poutine. Shouldn't even be mentioned in a thread about disgusting food combos, for mine. I tried it for the first time in La Belle Patate in Vancouver. Utterly delicious.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

I think I'll put poutine in the same basket as marmite and deep fried mars bars. They are food heaven for some and food hell for others. The most disgusting thing I was ever served (and certainly did not eat) was a pile of soba noodles covered topped off with wiggling tentacles. Naturally this was when I was in Japan.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a reputation for having slightly unusual taste in food, but I draw the line at food that has to be chased around the plate. Ick

[ 19. May 2014, 19:07: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
... 'cheesy chips with gravy', which is basically the same thing, is apparently popular in the Isle of Man after enough beers ...

"Cheesy chips" and "gravy chips" were popular in Northern Ireland, though not with me - as with poutine, the gravy's going to make the chips soggy and, IMHO, horrid.

I can't remember whether they ever put all three elements together.

Oh yes, and "curry chips". [Eek!]

[ 20. May 2014, 16:29: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once came across chips with Jägersoße ("mushroom sauce" doesn't really do it justice) and cheese in a pub in Germany. I think there was also a chilli sauce version.

But see above. Not really disgusting food combos for me.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Another fruit and meat combination. This evening, I barbecued (US outdoor grilled) over charcoal some kangaroo fillets which Madame had put into a marinade earlier in the day, along with some of the last figs of the season. The figs were halved, brushed all over with olive oil, and the open side sprinkled very lightly with some balsamic vinegar. They turned out very well. The meat took about 4 minutes a side, while the figs stayed cut-side up for the whole time.

--------------------

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

That sounds rather tasty. Pork is nice stuffed with figs or apricots and prunes and pheasant is nice cooked with apples.
Has anyone ever tried brown sugar or peanut butter and banana sandwiches? The combination sounds really horrid to me.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RevMotherRaphael:
That sounds rather tasty. Pork is nice stuffed with figs or apricots and prunes and pheasant is nice cooked with apples.
Has anyone ever tried brown sugar or peanut butter and banana sandwiches? The combination sounds really horrid to me.

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are scrumptious, IMO!
As is peanut butter and crispy bacon strips (US style bacon).
As is peanut butter and sliced tomatoes (or add tomatoes to the pb&bacon above).

Of course, I've been known to eat peanut butter straight out of the jar, sometimes not even bothering with a spoon. (Known among my rude friends as 'peanut butter and skin')

And no, I'm not kiding!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

I know others who love PB that much too and who needs a spoon when you've got a perfect God made shovel at the end of your arm? Plus it saves on washing up!
Not heard of bacon with PB but might consider trying it...

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Just think of the many uses to which satay sauce is put - but I think I'd draw the line at bacon.

Never had fresh figs with pork, only dried ones. Pork stuffed with prunes is a great winter roast. What we dislike is the lack of imagination many restaurants and cafés show. No turkey without bottled cranberry sauce slathered over it; ham never appears without canned pineapple; pork is rarely without apple sauce; and so forth.

--------------------

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite and English mustard on toast is definitely my favourite odd combo food!

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

Anyone tried chicken cooked with dark chocolate? I have heard of it but never tried to cook it myself.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are scrumptious, IMO!
As is peanut butter and crispy bacon strips (US style bacon).
As is peanut butter and sliced tomatoes (or add tomatoes to the pb&bacon above).

Of course, I've been known to eat peanut butter straight out of the jar, sometimes not even bothering with a spoon. (Known among my rude friends as 'peanut butter and skin')

And no, I'm not kiding!

You are my daughter (age 6) AICMFP

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To get rid of the nearly-ubiquitous cranberry sauce with your turkey, try that Swedish delight, lingon berry jam or sauce.

I first experienced it some years back when there was some sort of health scare about cranberries.

It's yummy and very much tastier than cranberries IMO

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone tried chicken cooked with dark chocolate? I have heard of it but never tried to cook it myself.

Are you referring to chicken mole? Here's a link to the Wiki article...

Mole

Most of the Puebla moles have Mexican chocolate as an ingredient. You don't taste the chocolate flavor per se, but you definitely miss it is if left out.

There are as many mole recipes as grains of sand on a beach btw.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chili con carne is traditionally cooked with chocolate IIRC.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depends. The Texas range cook version doesn't have it but other versions from the interior of Mexico do use a mole-like base. Also fyi to those out there who care, chili con carne can have beans in it but "Texas chili" never does.

--------------------
I need a quote.

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

The chicken and chocolate dish I was thinking of was not a mole recipe but something a few chefs have been doing recently such as chickens stuffed with chocolate or baked in some sort of hard chocolate shell. This to me conjures an image of a chicken cooked in a large chocolate egg. I think they are probably inspired by South American cuisine but not tried anything like it myself.
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

quote:
The chicken and chocolate dish I was thinking of was not a mole recipe but something a few chefs have been doing recently such as chickens stuffed with chocolate or baked in some sort of hard chocolate shell. This to me conjures an image of a chicken cooked in a large chocolate egg. I think they are probably inspired by South American cuisine but not tried anything like it myself.

Wow, haven't heard of that! That does sound a bit, um, off putting.but I'd give it a try!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
quote:

Depends. The Texas range cook version doesn't have it but other versions from the interior of Mexico do use a mole-like base. Also fyi to those out there who care, chili con carne can have beans in it but "Texas chili" never does.
That's interesting. I heard about chili with chocolate from, er, somewhere, and I've just been melting dark chocolate into the mix. I think it does give it a bit more richness but it's also possible I'm not adding enough to make a difference.

Dark chocolate is quite bitter, so there is no reason why it can't be added to a savoury, by analogy with fenugreek or coriander.

(FWIW the chili I'm most familiar with comes from cafés and is served in a jacket potato ...)

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus
Dark chocolate is quite bitter...

Not all of it. This is my favorite kind of chocolate for eating.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently there has been a rash of odd chocolates (as in a box of ) over here. Bacon and chocolate truffle is liked by many (but not me). We went to a workshop with chocolate maker who did a tobacco caramel. Not good in my opinion but some seemed to enjoy it.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

I've seen some strange chocolate combinations such as chilli, salt, and certain flowers none of which I like but some people love.
Of course in East Asia you can get all sorts of 'tasty' street food such as roasted tarantulas, snakes with noodles and snake blood liquor to wash it all down. YUM...???

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016