homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Disgusting food combinations that taste quite nice
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I would imagine that Tom's of Maine fennel-flavored toothpaste, on the right kind of biscuit, would be quite palatable.

I once ate a chocolate cookie (okay, let's be honest here, I ate SEVERAL!) and then brushed my teeth with Tom's of Maine Peppermint toothpaste....mmmmm! Chocolate Mint!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across a recipe for a cake made with beetroot and ground almonds in a novel I was reading.

Has anyone made or tasted such a cake? I was thinking of baking one and taking it to my usual panel of tasters who go to the drop-in group at church - the only draw back being some are polite rather than truthful.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If carrot cake works, why not?

I haven't actually tasted a cake with beetroot, but this recipe is by a chef whose recipes I trust.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make beetroot and chocolate cake regularly. The beetroot gives it a deep, rich colour. Carrot cake is a good comparison; you know the carrots are in there, but the taste isn't overwhelmingly carrotty or beetrooty. The grated beetroot gives a moist texture, again, comparable to carrot cake.

Beetroot and ground almond cake would be an interesting shade of pink, I suppose.

[ 24. May 2014, 09:53: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for double-posting.

The recipe I use varies from Firenze's in that mine uses raw, grated beetroot and no espresso. It's from the "The Boxing Clever Cookbook"

The same cookbook also has a recipe for Lettuce and Walnut Cake. I made it once and will not make it again, despite pleas from my children who wanted to take one to school to gross out their friends.

Another ill-advised recipe from the same book is "Beetroot Pie" which is basically a puree of beetroot and onion mixed with cream, mustard and egg and baked. It looks like pink blancmange, but tastes of beetroot. Something goes horribly wrong betwee the combination of the visual impression of "dessert" and the savoury taste.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have eaten a horrid beetroot, carrot, cheese, bread and possibly egg mixture at a convent (NOT MINE!!!) once and can say it was one of a few meals I sat silently weeping through because I didn't want to upset the sisters. [Projectile]
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RevMotherRaphael:
Have eaten a horrid beetroot, carrot, cheese, bread and possibly egg mixture at a convent

The beetroot - and probably the carrot - where were they went wrong. Substitute baked beans and lentils (and just a soupçon of a Marmite) and you have one of our student house mainstays.
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes everything is wrong with convent food. This thing was like a bread and butter pudding mixed with vegetables and cheese. Your recipe on the other hand sounds quite fine.
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've made Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's beetroot and chocolate brownies.

Brownies

Also a parsnip, lemon and caraway seedcake from the RHS.

Parsnip cake

I wonder if there's swede cake. Or turnip cake. There are sweet potato recipes.

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

Mexican sweet potato candy is lovely and so are beetroot bronwies or cake (or spinach cake for that matter). Think I've seen a recipe for a turnip cake, rather like a carrot cake with nice spices to match the sweet of the turnip, but can't think where, sorry. [Frown]
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I've made Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's beetroot and chocolate brownies.

Brownies

Also a parsnip, lemon and caraway seedcake from the RHS.

Parsnip cake

I wonder if there's swede cake. Or turnip cake. There are sweet potato recipes.

Turnip cake is a standard item on yum cha trolleys here. Savoury of course, but I imagine it would be easy enough to put sugar or honey into it.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnip cake on a yum cha trolley is actually made with daikon/radish, not turnip as a Westerner would recognise it. It's also more of a pancake, not really a cake like a carrot cake is.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew that I should not have made a tongue in cheek comment on a food thread.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this is delicious but I think it's so disgusting that I have never tried it...peanut butter on a graham cracker with...oh, god...pickle relish! Anyone ever tried this?

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband's favourite sandwich is peanut butter on one slice of bread, lime pickle on the other and cheddar in between. I have never tasted them but I am told that I make them well.
He is way more adventurous in food combos than I am - he also enjoys pork sausages with strawberry jam.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to give up at the mention of "lime pickle" ... [Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, meanings for various tracklements can be confusing. Exactly what is pickle relish? I know pickle*. I know relish. (Though they seem largely interchangeable.) Either of which I can imagine with the peanut butter, depending what is in the relish.

*The usual one: Not quite Branston

And lime pickle?

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And searching for that has shown me that she has reconstituted the lost recipe for Pan Yan pickle which disappeared in a takeover some time. Oh bliss.

Pan Yan

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
...way more adventurous in food combos than I am - he also enjoys pork sausages with strawberry jam.

I can see that: I put fruity HP sauce or regular on pork chops and sometimes on bangers. It's yummy and enhances the basic flavour.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A relative of mine has started going to Slimming World and she regularly makes one of their recipes which involves baking a mixture of Chick Pea Curry and eggs. It tastes like a good pakora, especially with raita and mago chutney.
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, meanings for various tracklements can be confusing. Exactly what is pickle relish? I know pickle*. I know relish. (Though they seem largely interchangeable.) Either of which I can imagine with the peanut butter, depending what is in the relish.

*The usual one: Not quite Branston

And lime pickle?

Apologies: lime pickle

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

It's an acquired taste. I had to persevere to begin to sort of like it, then I lost the knack, about halfway down the jar.

(I should point out that this was over a period of some weeks, I wasn't sitting there with a spoon and jar of pickle on a dull rainy night in want of something to do.)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to work through this thread and try ALL of them.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Big Grin]

You are truly brave, Boogie. Or, conversely, a masochist! [Razz]

--------------------

burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

- Posted      Profile for burlingtontiger   Email burlingtontiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a slice of cold apple pie with a slice of mature cheddar; not an uncommon pairing around here but I'm told that it's a Yorkshire tradition so thought it might be worth sharing.

--------------------
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to rot this bargee"

Posts: 31 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
You are truly brave, Boogie. Or, conversely, a masochist! [Razz]

Haha - I'm off to buy marmite!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thank you for the lime pickle mention.

Boogie, remember to spread it thinly.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by burlingtontiger:
Just had a slice of cold apple pie with a slice of mature cheddar; not an uncommon pairing around here but I'm told that it's a Yorkshire tradition so thought it might be worth sharing.

Even better with Blue Wensleydale.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Attagirl. Get a plate and pile it high.
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And lime pickle?

Pond difference alert: 'Lime pickle(s) in the US (at least in the south) means pickled gherkins, the recipe for which includes lime. My mother used to make them, but I don't recall the details.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scones with Vegemite and cream - very yummy

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

(attempts to eat monitor.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

It's an acquired taste. I had to persevere to begin to sort of like it, then I lost the knack, about halfway down the jar.

(I should point out that this was over a period of some weeks, I wasn't sitting there with a spoon and jar of pickle on a dull rainy night in want of something to do.)

Now lime pickle I like enough to eat off a spoon - and on cheese, much to viewers horror.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lime pickle! As produced by Indian restaurants and Pataks or Sharwoods! Manna from Heaven!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hot lime pickle with added chilli is heaven on toast spread thinly with Gentleman's Relish (a kind of anchovy spread).
burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

- Posted      Profile for burlingtontiger   Email burlingtontiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Not a big fan of Wensleydale but maybe Apple pie is just the pairing it needs. Will give it a try; thanks.

--------------------
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to rot this bargee"

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

Any one try (and like) lime chutney? Had some in Sri Lanka where it is very popular but didn't like it.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling that the "lime pickle" that I'm remembering (from at least 30 years ago) may have been Sharwood's lime chutney, which was IMHO very nasty indeed.

I've never tried cheese with apple pie, but Cheddar cheese and fruit cake is delicious (as is cheese with apple slices).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

quote:
I have a feeling that the "lime pickle" that I'm remembering (from at least 30 years ago) may have been Sharwood's lime chutney, which was IMHO very nasty indeed.

I've never tried cheese with apple pie, but Cheddar cheese and fruit cake is delicious (as is cheese with apple slices).

Cheese makes EVERYTHING better [Yipee]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hold on a minute. I thought this thread was about disgusting combinations of foods. Recent posts have considered individual foodstuffs.

FWIW the only cheese improved by hot lime pickle is the kind of cheese that has no redeeming features whatsoever, like those mild cheese slices which desperately need a KITA. There are plenty of other pickles and chutneys, and plenty of other cheeses, and the combinations of those are never bizarre nor disgusting.

[ 07. June 2014, 15:50: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I discovered a new combo just this morning. Feeling very wonky due a major allergy episode I some how 1) made toast, 2) cooked some bacon 3) put PB and jam on the toast 4) put the bacon on the toast. Now I like PB and bacon but have never added jam (blackberry in this case.) It was pretty darn good. The salty /smoky bacon, the peanuts, the sweet jam...it all worked !

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recipe somewhere for an apple pie topped with a bacon lattice, which sounds odd and tasty at the same time.

How can weaving with bacon bring anything but happiness?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
FWIW the only cheese improved by hot lime pickle is the kind of cheese that has no redeeming features whatsoever, like those mild cheese slices which desperately need a KITA. There are plenty of other pickles and chutneys, and plenty of other cheeses, and the combinations of those are never bizarre nor disgusting.

Hot lime pickle and soy cheese is really rather nice.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Hot lime pickle and soy cheese is really rather nice.
Soy cheese comes into the category of "cheese that has no redeeming features whatsoever" save for providing some protein.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I have a recipe somewhere for an apple pie topped with a bacon lattice, which sounds odd and tasty at the same time.

How can weaving with bacon bring anything but happiness?

Or you could skip the bacon weaving and make a lard crust.

When I was a small lad, we had Polish neighbors who would take our bacon drippings and return some really yummy if salty chocolate chip cookies made from them.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RevMotherRaphael:
Any one try (and like) lime chutney? Had some in Sri Lanka where it is very popular but didn't like it.

Sounds like dreck! I only eat proper Indian mango chutney with my curry...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, sugary mango chutney is Anglo-Indian rather than actually Indian....

Penny S - pickle in the US just means a gherkin/pickled cucumber, so pickle relish is a relish made with gherkins. 'Pickle' as we have it in the UK is more of a chutney.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Supermarket mango chutney is more like jam IMO. I prefer the various pickles, as being chunkier, sourer and hotter. Patak's - which is a mainstream brand - does mango, lime, garlic, aubergine, chili and mixed. Go to an Asian shop and you can get even more interesting* ones.

*as in tonsil-nukingly hot interesting.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

Penny S - pickle in the US just means a gherkin/pickled cucumber, so pickle relish is a relish made with gherkins. 'Pickle' as we have it in the UK is more of a chutney.

Correction: Although it's not as prevalent as gherkin pickle relish, there is also dill pickle relish. My wife loves dill pickles but I can't eat most of the mass produced ones because they taste too much like the pickling agents and not enough like the cucumbers they once were. I do love sweet gherkin relish, though and dill pickles from a few Jewish delicatessens around Atlanta.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

Correction: Although it's not as prevalent as gherkin pickle relish, there is also dill pickle relish. My wife loves dill pickles but I can't eat most of the mass produced ones because they taste too much like the pickling agents and not enough like the cucumbers they once were. I do love sweet gherkin relish, though and dill pickles from a few Jewish delicatessens around Atlanta.
Oh to us in the UK, gherkins include dill pickles or any kind of pickled cucumber.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016