homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Barbarous neologisms and other things (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Barbarous neologisms and other things
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learned to love the recent "I know, right?!" but am sure that will pass if it hasn't already.

I think purists may have lost the "and I" fight.
Such as "they gave a ticket to Alex and I" and they invited Alex and I to dinner."

I hear it on the news.
I hear it in real life.
I hear it in interviews.
I hear it in scripts, not knowing if the writer, director, or actor is changing it to fit the character or changing the "and me" to "and I" when it doesn't go. Not sure what to think about it in scripted movies and TV shows.

I hear it from people educated or not.

I hear it here, I hear it there, I hear it everywhere.

I do not like it "and I" am,

sorry to hear the demise of good old uneducated dialectical "Me an' him an' her."

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dangling modifiers have also become ubiquitous, especially in places where the speaker or writer should know better.

Example: Surfing the web, several topics caught my interest.

Since when do topics surf? You meant to say: Surfing the web, I noticed several topics of interest.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back again, with my two irritating examples from sports reporters:
Team A whitewashed team B in a 48-12 match. (I thought 'to whitewash' meant to do a PR job to cover something up or to make bad sound good?)
Team B were not on their best form after playing back-to-back games against Team C and Team D at the end of the week. (Surely they played consecutive games in a short space of time. Back-to-back means facing in opposite directions, surely?)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They used to say Team A "shellacked" Team B. Maybe a sports commentator used the wrong paint.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Team A whitewashed team B in a 48-12 match. (I thought 'to whitewash' meant to do a PR job to cover something up or to make bad sound good?)

In the UK "whitewash" is used when one team fails to score. 48—12 is not a whitewash, 48—0 is.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just invented the verb 'to Amazon wish-list', on the Ship as well! I feel dirty.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it really annoying when people use 'convince' when they mean 'persuade', as in: He convinced him to have another drink.

I started seeing this in my local paper some time ago and now I'm seeing it all over the place.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
I find it really annoying when people use 'convince' when they mean 'persuade', as in: He convinced him to have another drink.

I started seeing this in my local paper some time ago and now I'm seeing it all over the place.

I have been seeing this for years, and I dislike it intensely.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:

The OED pegs this use to 1958. Your local paper is clearly behind the Times.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My personal peeve is the use of 'journey': you don't acquire dancing skills on Strictly, you go on a journey...

Aaaaaargh [Projectile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, and they always have to "take things to the next level"!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who cringes at the use of 'convince to' rather than 'persuade to' and 'convince of'.

I looked it up a while ago and found that both were apparently acceptable. It doesn't make it sound any better though.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This was a new one on me -- "release" being used intransitively to mean "to be released" --

"A new report on human spaceflight releases this Friday."

Releases what?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
This was a new one on me -- "release" being used intransitively to mean "to be released" --

Releases what?

The hounds! [Snigger]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned "text" as a verb.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned "text" as a verb.

We would have done, but it upsets us too much.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been verbing nouns for ever. "To text" is only one of the more recent.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
We've been verbing nouns for ever.

RRRRRRAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH [brick wall]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
We've been verbing nouns for ever. "To text" is only one of the more recent.

Transforming adverbs into prepositional phrases. [Mad]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't quite a barbarous neologism but I've been amused to read sentences such as "Thank you for inviting me, I shall defiantly be there."
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Amused by the comma fault or the malaprop?

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Releases what?

Seems to me it would have been perfectly acceptable to say "will be released" instead of "releases." I'm fancifully imagining that this is the result of half-educated editors demanding that reporters not use the passive voice.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have two pet peeves.

"Gifted" used as a verb, when it is an adjective...

I remember when I was a teenager I used to take summer courses from Pasadena Association for the Gifted taught by Cal Tech students, i.e. future scientists. It was supposed to be for brilliant children. That is the proper use of it as an adjective.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely. I heard someone on the radio at it wholly inappropriately the other day. I suppose it could have crept in via sentences such as "She was gifted, with a talent for writing". Can that be done without the comma?
Our schools have to have someone with the responsibility for children who are "Gifted and Talented". As in "Who's the G&T coordinator?"

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate it that no one ever tells anyone anything these days, they always share something with them.
I had a realtor ask me if I would share with her just how many square feet I was looking for in a house.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As in "Who's the G&T coordinator?"

Isn't that the person who mixes the GIN and Tonics?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I hate it that no one ever tells anyone anything these days, they always share something with them.
I had a realtor ask me if I would share with her just how many square feet I was looking for in a house.

Thank you for sharing that with us.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

That was the hope.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a restaurant, happens always these daze:

Server: "can I get you something to drink?"
Customer orders something
Server: "Perfect"

Customer asks for something, like water.
Server: "absolutely"

Customer has his/her mouth full
Server comes by and asks "how's everything tasting?"
Customer: "absolutely perfect" (translation: "punch me now!)

[ 05. June 2014, 20:57: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

That was the hope.
Or even the Gins and Tonic. Which no doubt you need after a day of dealing with precocious kids.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Absolutely. I heard someone on the radio at it wholly inappropriately the other day. I suppose it could have crept in via sentences such as "She was gifted, with a talent for writing". Can that be done without the comma?

Without the comma it means something different.

Without the comma it means she has a talent for writing, full stop.

With the comma, it means she was gifted in general, and had a talent for writing in particular. It implies (but does not state) that she had other talents besides.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just come across "bored of" instead of "bored with", and in the Speccie of all places.

It is a pity that enormity/immensity and depreciate/deprecate have become, in practice, interchangeable.

Why not keep enormity for wickedness and use immensity for size?

Self-deprecatory is almost always used these days when self-depreciatory is intended.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

... and if something is "decimated", only a tenth of it is wrecked. Otherwise the word wanted is "devastated".

Which brings me on to "prevarication". This means telling an untruth. It does not mean and should never be confused with "procrastination". I do hate it when I see these two words used wrongly.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
quote:

Without the comma it means something different.

Without the comma it means she has a talent for writing, full stop.

With the comma, it means she was gifted in general, and had a talent for writing in particular. It implies (but does not state) that she had other talents besides.

And, according to the advice to teachers, one should keep giftedness and talentedness quite separate. Inexplicably.

The commaless meaning would be where the verbing crept in, I surmise.

[ 06. June 2014, 10:10: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Of course, "gift" as a transitive verb dates to 1608, so verbing of nouns has been going on for some time.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... and if something is "decimated", only a tenth of it is wrecked. Otherwise the word wanted is "devastated".

I have heard of a sentence in a Western of someone on horseback being shot.
quote:
He was literally decimated in the saddle.
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I have heard of a sentence in a Western of someone on horseback being shot.
quote:
He was literally decimated in the saddle.
Moo
They shot an arm off? That would be about 10%, right?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
... and if something is "decimated", only a tenth of it is wrecked.

This is true of the Latin root. The English word has moved on.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True enough, I suppose. The problem is that to anyone who has the least idea about where the word comes from, the difference between the literal meaning and the current usage is so staringly obvious that the current usage just looks wrong.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
True enough, I suppose. The problem is that to anyone who has the least idea about where the word comes from, the difference between the literal meaning and the current usage is so staringly obvious that the current usage just looks wrong.

I'd scarcely ever speak a word if that bothered me.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I would probably be more inclined to accept it if I didn't suspect that the similarity of decimate/devastate has led to the confusion. I hate being forced to accept malapropisms as proper usage.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
quote:

I would probably be more inclined to accept it if I didn't suspect that the similarity of decimate/devastate has led to the confusion. I hate being forced to accept malapropisms as proper usage.
After some point, the language pundit just has to shrug and move on. I'm willing to bet 1% of the words we use daily started as malapropisms.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Of course, "gift" as a transitive verb dates to 1608, so verbing of nouns has been going on for some time.

So why has it only become noticeable recently? I didn't grow up with it, and I'm not that old.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Which doesn't mean it has moved on for the better, even if Shakespeare moved it.

We're back to the old battle between descriptivism and prescriptivism, which is a DH IMHO.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We're back to the old battle between descriptivism and prescriptivism, which is a DH IMHO.

I've never seen a real descriptivist. A real descriptivist would think prescriptivism was no more right or wrong than any other feature of language.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Precisely, just as with prevarication and procrastination. Yes, they both begin with pr- and end with -ation. So do lots of other words.
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

According to Merriam-Webster and the OED, "decimate" has never been commonly used in the narrow Latin definition in the English language. Unless used as a technical term, it has always had a broader meaning since its first recorded English usage in the mid-17th century. The notion that "decimate" should only be used in its strictest definition is a novelty of the late 19th century.

Therefore, it has never been a malapropism within the English language, in any case.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
In a restaurant, happens always these daze:

Server: "can I get you something to drink?"
Customer orders something
Server: "Perfect"

My favorite teacher from high school days would have responded 'You may if you can.'

Another teacher in the same school had this response to any student who began an answer with 'Well.' 'Sit down, young man, I know you're well.'

Both definitely 'old school' types, but now, more than 50 years later, I'm never guilty of either of these lapses.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
My favorite teacher from high school days would have responded 'You may if you can.'

My English teacher in the nineties had a similar policy regarding the use of "can" instead of "may." She also refused to acknowledge any question or response that included filler words, such as, "like," "um," "you know," etc.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Interesting. My 12th grade English teacher (the late great saintly Miss Jean Walker) forbid the use of "things" and "stuff" in classroom discussions.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016