homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » British Values (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: British Values
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Karl, you do realise that you just proved Ariston's point about elevating obsessive attention to boring things to an art form, don't you?

I've always put that down to ASD tendencies rather than being British.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Petrol in litres, distances in miles...

I think it very British to measure in metric and then convert to imperial mentally. Almost everyone I know puts litres in their car but bitches about the price per gallon. They always ask me how far a 10km hike is in miles. I always work out grams into pounds and ounces or if in the sweet shop, a hundred grams is always referred to as a quarter of jelly babies.

I thought this might pass with the next generations but my scouts still carry on the tradition of bimetricality and most of them were born in the C21st.

Yes. As in "According to the OS map Scafell Pike is 910 meters - that's 3,210'", or "map shows it's 7 kilometers to the camp site - that's about 4 miles."

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, thanks to the "Metric Martyrs" and their ilk there are generations of people who were *taught* the metric system at school but grew up in an environment where everyone else used imperial measures, with the result that we don't actually have a proper sense of how big or heavy something is until we convert to imperial. I am 1.67 metres tall, but that means nothing to me until I convert it to feet and inches.

[ 11. June 2014, 09:12: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On units, we tend to use Centigrade when it is cold: "Minus 5, brrrrr!" and Fahrenheit when it is hot "80 degrees, phew what a scorcher!"
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:
Petrol in litres, distances in miles...

I think it very British to measure in metric and then convert to imperial mentally. Almost everyone I know puts litres in their car but bitches about the price per gallon. They always ask me how far a 10km hike is in miles. I always work out grams into pounds and ounces or if in the sweet shop, a hundred grams is always referred to as a quarter of jelly babies.

I thought this might pass with the next generations but my scouts still carry on the tradition of bimetricality and most of them were born in the C21st.

Yes. As in "According to the OS map Scafell Pike is 910 meters - that's 3,210'", or "map shows it's 7 kilometers to the camp site - that's about 4 miles."
Weights are another funny area. I always think of weight in terms of stone. If someone gives a weight in pounds, I'm always trying to work it out by trying to divide by 14 and 16, sure that it's one or the other but unsure as to which one.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Losing at sport.

Except forms of sport which involve sitting down, or which nobody watches until we get a medal (what was the snowboarding thing again?)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Obviously, an important British value is chips, the national dish.

I thought it was Chicken Tikka Masala now?
One may eat Chicken Tikka Masala with chips. In South Wales, "curry" is often eaten with "Half-n-half", rice and chips.
Okay, that is definitely one of those questionable "disgusting food combinations."
You do know that by "chips" we mean what you colonials wrongly refer to as "fries", don't you?
Yes, of course. I have spent significant time in London. Malt vinegar, yes; curry... no.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Obviously, an important British value is chips, the national dish.

I thought it was Chicken Tikka Masala now?
One may eat Chicken Tikka Masala with chips. In South Wales, "curry" is often eaten with "Half-n-half", rice and chips.
Okay, that is definitely one of those questionable "disgusting food combinations."
You do know that by "chips" we mean what you colonials wrongly refer to as "fries", don't you?
Yes, of course. I have spent significant time in London. Malt vinegar, yes; curry... no.
This is so, so, wrong. The finest accompaniment to chips is yellow chip-shop curry sauce; around these parts gravy is favoured, but I'm a mushy pea and curry sauce man. It is from there a short hop to curry with chips.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Losing at sport.

Except forms of sport which involve sitting down, or which nobody watches until we get a medal (what was the snowboarding thing again?)
It's not so much losing at sport that is distinctively British; there are I don't know how many teams in the World Cup, but only one will win; every other country will also lose along with Ingerland. The British factor is naively believing that we will win and at the same time knowing we won't - "this tims, lads, this time. And when we reach the final, not if, when..." ad nauseam. So we, or rather the people who give a pair of dingoes' kidneys about this stuff, go on and on about who the key man is, or who's going to be the biggest barrier to getting through to the Wimbledon (please God bear me through this oncoming trial) final, always with the promise that he/she/they might actually do it, knowing at the same time that they won't.

And in the case of football, it's the mistaken belief that everybody else cares about it as much as you do...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> Yes, of course. I have spent significant time in London. Malt vinegar, yes; curry... no.

You do realise that London is as typically British as Disneyworld is typically American?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Karl, you do realise that you just proved Ariston's point about elevating obsessive attention to boring things to an art form, don't you?

Same thing, isn't it? [Two face]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
<snip> Yes, of course. I have spent significant time in London. Malt vinegar, yes; curry... no.

You do realise that London is as typically British as Disneyworld is typically American?
Indeed. They traditionally eat jellied eels there, which most of the rest of the country considers [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

--------------------

burlingtontiger
Apprentice
# 18069

- Posted      Profile for burlingtontiger   Email burlingtontiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Pastor and one of the elders at our church are particularly irritated by the use of British values by which they infer Christian values. I am not so sure; the secular values of equal rights for all regardless of race/nationality, gender, sexuality and belief are probably closer to the mark. Of course, as a nation, we rarely live up to these ideals but they are aspirations which most people would say we should aim for, even though we so often fall badly short of the mark.

--------------------
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to rot this bargee"

Posts: 31 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Losing at sport.

No matches lost since the war.
You, sir, are a knocker.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this more or less sums up British (or at least, English) values for me.
Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You mean Disney World is not an accurate microcosm of the U.S.?

I traveled outside London as well. I was not impressed.

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GCabot:
quote:
In that case I'll take the next arduous flight you have to make to England for you.

No, really, I insist.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Then this is minutiae about alcoholic beverage, something that Ariston has demonstrated quite an ability to post himself.

As to trainspotting, well it is not my fetish, but I put it down as the stamp collecting form of public transport fanaticism. There are others, the public transport history-nerd, the transport steam punk person and the train travel geography geek whose real interest is taking interesting journeys.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomato sauce, and it needs to be a particular well-known brand, is the best with chips. As it is also with a hot bacon roll eaten in the open air on the way to work.

Chips with tomato sauce out of a paper packet evoke memories of autumn evenings at fairgrounds, with bright lights flashing, loud music pounding, lots of glitter and all the excitement of the fair, as you briefly attempt to spear your chip with a stupid little wooden fork before just picking it up and eating it. They remind me also of strolls along the seafront, with the sea breeze active in your hair, and large fat seagulls perched nearby eyeing the packet up as you dip your fingers in and wince slightly at the heat.

Chips are also that impulse buy at the railway station when you have less than 10 minutes left to get your train, and guarantee you a seat by yourself for the duration of the journey, as you lick the salt and tomato sauce off your fingers. They are also that other impulse buy on a bitter winter's night as you head home, tired and hungry, with the stars burning holes in a dark sky and the cold air tingling your skin, but with a greasy, hot, redolent packet of chips clutched firmly to your chest and keeping your hands warm; no cooking tonight and a hot meal when you get in.

No, there's nothing like the true British tradition of chips, preferably with tomato sauce, and either a piece of fish in batter or a sausage to go with it; who could ask for more.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swearing. Brits are remarkably good at swearing. They also seem to tolerate it more than other cultures I've come across. (Although I have to bow to the late, great swearer that was Erin).

And here I've written a post about swearing with nary a naughty word.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean your chippie supplies branded tomato sauce? And not in those teeny tiny sachets which provide enough sauce for a couple of chips? And do beware of non-brewed condiment aka acetic acid not derived from the fermentation of malt. Visitors to the UK would be better off buying their own vinegar and applying it themselves outside the shop.

And if you know your teacup, and your leaf tea, and your teapot, you know how much milk to put in first.

You do realise that these petty arguments are the way the giant lizards keep us from noticing what is really going on, don't you?

Or at least the boarding school educated men with unresolved problems with the breaking of attachment with place and parents too early.

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Tomato sauce, and it needs to be a particular well-known brand, is the best with chips. As it is also with a hot bacon roll eaten in the open air on the way to work. .

Tomato ketchup is only suitable for children. I admit to a strange fondness for mayonnaise on chips, an unfortunate result of time in Brussels, but otherwise it's malt vinegar or chip-shop curry sauce (tasting like no known curry in the universe) on the way home from a night in the pub...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomato ketchup is rich in lycopenes, which are good for you.

Must admit to tartare sauce, usually, and sometimes that well known manufacturers salad cream - haven't tried mayonnaise.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Tomato ketchup is only suitable for children.

Children of all ages, that is. It would be a sad day if anyone declared themselves to be 'too old for ketchup'.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blech - I hate ketchup. Revoltingly sweet. I like mayo, tartar sauce or Belgian style frite sauces with my chips, or gravy. Chips are tasty with curry though.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I'm partial to lemon on my fish and chips. A lot of it.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GCabot:
quote:
You went to Slough and Milton Keynes, didn't you. Someone should have warned you.

You obviously didn't visit Bath, Winchester, York, Norwich (well that one is a bit out on a limb) or any part of Hadrian's Wall.

(note for any other American shipmates contemplating a visit: Stratford-on-Avon is a giant car park attached to the tackiest tourist trap this side of the Atlantic. Go to Warwick Castle instead if you're in that area, it's much more interesting; or if you want to see Shakesperean theatre in something approaching its original setting, go to the Globe ).

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Or, if you are in that direction, try the new tarted up Dover Castle and, referring to your copy of Thomas Malory, ask them why they haven't re-instated Gawaine's head, which they were showing to tourists in his day. (This is something I've wanted to do since I lived down the hill, but never had the chutzpah to do.)
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Then this is minutiae about alcoholic beverage, something that Ariston has demonstrated quite an ability to post himself.

Where d'ya think I learned it? Here in the States, where making a to do about beer serving temperature is a sign to turn around and walk out (your bar's too precious for words; a good one just does it); where decanting everyday red wine, or at least giving it 15 minutes to breathe after opening, gets you funny looks; and malt whisky is something reserved for the lawyers and bankers, rather than on the speed dispenser on the back wall; and nobody but nobody (well, almost nobody) knows what sherry or port are?

Didn't think so.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Losing at sport.

I was not born in Britain, but I am a Spurs supporter. I understand that!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:

Weights are another funny area. I always think of weight in terms of stone. If someone gives a weight in pounds, I'm always trying to work it out by trying to divide by 14 and 16, sure that it's one or the other but unsure as to which one.
I am a wee bit less than 14 stone and I am five foot ten inches tall!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
(note for any other American shipmates contemplating a visit: Stratford-on-Avon is a giant car park attached to the tackiest tourist trap this side of the Atlantic. Go to Warwick Castle instead if you're in that area, it's much more interesting

Ah, another "I went to Stratford on Avon once on a day trip and didn't like it" poster.

I'm often in Stratford. It has its tourist traps – although I actually like the Shakespearean properties - but it also has quirky, less obvious charms. The pleasing little inscriptions on some of the pavements, the memorials to actors in various places along the waterfront, and the collection of sometimes idiosyncratic lampposts donated by towns and other countries, dotted throughout the town; the museum of mechanical art and design (with interactive exhibits), the Creaky Cauldron, where you can buy your pagan spells in a bag; lots of tiny antiques shops, and the all-year-round Christmas shop; one of the country's best tea-shops with an amazing range of cakes, and Paxton & Whitfield for interesting, redolent cheeses; good places to have lunch; a really good farmers' market and arts & crafts market at the weekend; the boat trips up the Avon in a boat that's a century old and still in excellent condition; the pleasure of spotting famous actors on the street or in the supermarket, and more. The place is usually full of life and the people are friendly.

Warwick Castle, on the other hand, is a total theme park that costs you £30.60 just to get in. The town itself is more interesting with some hidden gems; I'd recommend not bothering with the Castle.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

I think we'll have to agree to differ... but I've been to both Warwick and Stratford more than once. My opinion of Warwick Castle may be skewed by the fact that it didn't cost me anything (I just flashed my Historic Scotland card at them and they let me in free of charge).

[ 12. June 2014, 08:14: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Where d'ya think I learned it? Here in the States, where making a to do about beer serving temperature is a sign to turn around and walk out (your bar's too precious for words; a good one just does it); where decanting everyday red wine, or at least giving it 15 minutes to breathe after opening, gets you funny looks; and malt whisky is something reserved for the lawyers and bankers, rather than on the speed dispenser on the back wall; and nobody but nobody (well, almost nobody) knows what sherry or port are?

Didn't think so.

My whole point was such information is not boring to you, regardless of where you got.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Minutiae? Minutiae? The difference between 8C and 12C is the difference between a crap pint and a classic one.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Most people would agree that four degrees Celsius is a non-trivial difference in temperature.

The question is how much of a fuss you make about it, and on the whole it is considered very un-British to cause a scene and insist on having your pint heated to the right temperature. Far better to take one sip, make a face and then put the glass down at your elbow, muttering imprecations (just loud enough for the bar staff to hear, but not loud enough that they can assume the remarks are directly addressed to them), wait until it's warmed up to an acceptable temperature before finishing your drink, and never darken the doors of that bar again.

[ 12. June 2014, 10:44: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Shipmate
# 76

Well yes. And if it's styled a "bar" rather than a "pub", the chances of a crap pint are that much higher.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Most people would agree that four degrees Celsius is a non-trivial difference in temperature.

Oh no. 4 degrees is the difference between a pleasantly warm 18 degrees spring day and an unbearably sweltering 22 degrees.

The former is [Cool]
The latter is as hot as [Devil]

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh no. 4 degrees is the difference between a pleasantly warm 18 degrees spring day and an unbearably sweltering 22 degrees.

The former is [Cool]

Since when is 18 degrees C warm? Or 22 degrees anything other than pleasantly chill?

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

YMMV. 64° (18 Centigrade) is still jacket and pullover weather; 71° (22 in metric) is more bearable, and when you can leave either the jacket or the pullover off but may need to keep one handy if a breeze springs up.

It doesn't really get very warm in this country very often - summers are usually just on the chilly side.

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
quote:
quote:

The former is [Cool]

Since when is 18 degrees C warm? Or 22 degrees anything other than pleasantly chill?
I'm with the Alethiophile. Above 24C the problem is one can no longer remove further items of clothing and remain unarrested, and one is still too damned hot. 16C-20C is comfortable.

I have never understood why people, in the middle of summer when it's already too hot here, go to places that are even hotter.

[ 12. June 2014, 13:27: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends entirely on what you are used to. As a child I lived in North Africa for two years. The average daytime high temperature for the hottest six months of the year was into the high 80s and we had many days over 100F. You get to recognise a day when body temperature is cooler than air temperature and it isn't nice.

I can't handle that kind of heat so easily now, but I don't find the British weather, with occasional days over 85F and just the one memorable day of 100F too bad. The Mediterranean is hotter but a sea breeze makes anywhere better than a summer day in London, which is like an oven, except that it smells much worse.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Saying sorry when it isn't your fault e.g. when someone bumps into you.

Not at all, dear boy. That's Canadian. [Devil]

I'd go with fairness, politeness, slight reticence, a healthy appreciation of tradition and support for the underdog.

And tea, obviously. [Smile]

eta: I'm with the Alethiophile:
quote:
... 4 degrees is the difference between a pleasantly warm 18 degrees spring day and an unbearably sweltering 22 degrees.

[ 12. June 2014, 14:44: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for double-post, but I just saw this and had to reply:
quote:
But will Scotland change to driving on the right after the referendum?

If that idiot Salmond has his way they'll probably do it in stages: lorries, buses and commercial vehicles first.

[Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The Alethiophile:
quote:
I think you may have misinterpreted my original statement.

Here it is again:

Most people would agree that four degrees Celsius is a non- trivial difference in temperature.

Non-trivial = the opposite of trivial.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British values re food are summed up by complaining about having to eat 'foreign muck' whilst 'abroad' but insisting on tucking into a chicken tikka masala (Bangladeshi-Scottish), spag bol (Anglo-Italian), shepherd's pie (Russian) or fish'n'chips (Jewish) when at home...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Apologies for double-post, but I just saw this and had to reply:
quote:
But will Scotland change to driving on the right after the referendum?

If that idiot Salmond has his way they'll probably do it in stages: lorries, buses and commercial vehicles first.

[Snigger]

They've made a start with the Embra trams.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British = euphemism to avoid 'unpleasantness':

For example, shoplifting = theft; joyriding = aggravated car theft.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few British values from an American's viewpoint.

Putting milk in tea at all. Fussing about when to do it.

Self-deprecation, or as I like to call it "Hugh Grant."

Saying "whinge," instead of whine.

Not whinging. The greater the disaster, the more points for not whinging.

Disdain for people who whinge.

"Keeping oneself to oneself." Said with admiration by fellow British when an American might say, "What the hell's the matter with him?" It's the opposite of "Very friendly," one of the highest American virtues, which might be described by the British as, "Pushing in."

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes. Being pushy is so very wrong. Keep a certain distance; only get involved if absolutely necessary and there is no-one else. It goes like this:

"Errrr. Excuse me. I'm terribly sorry to intrude but I couldn't help noticing that you've just been run over by a bus. If you would like - and as long as I am not interfering - I could possibly call for an ambulance. And whilst we are waiting, would you like me to get your legs back from over there. I am sure the doctors will be able to do something with them."

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016