homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfume (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfume
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another asthmatic who can't wear perfume or cope with many perfumes near me - it makes it difficult to breathe. That said I'm wearing Crabtree and Evelyn's Lily of the Valley today, and I used to wear their vanilla, but they aren't doing it plain any longer but mixing it with something I can't cope with.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... Poison ... makes me gag and want to put as much distance between me and the wearer as I can possibly manage.

I used to have a colleague who felt like that about Poison; I really can't remember what it smelt like. Having said that, the same colleague turned up one day drenched in Youth Dew, and it gave me the most God-awful headache, which lasted so long I had to miss a planned evening out with friends because I was so ill.

[Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coty's L'Aimant takes me right back to childhood - my mum didn't like the smell of baby powder, so she used this in talc form on both me and my sister...
Mum herself always wore something called "Tweed" which I haven't actually seen or smelled for years.

I like Clinique's Aromatics Elixir (only the parfum and the shower cream - I'm not keen on the body lotion.) And I prefer it when it has "matured" a bit, not when it is newly-sprayed.

I also like Clarins's Eau Dynamisante, which is what I am currently wearing.

I would like to find something similar but different, just for a change, but so far I haven't been successful. My last attempt was with the Guerlain family of fragrances. Nothing stood out to me as being "my" new perfume...

Someone gave me Thierry Mugler's Angel a few years ago/ People apparently either love it or hate it..., me, I simply cannot decide if I like it or not.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

They say smell is the most evocative of senses, so what do the bottles on the dressing table mean to you?

Oh my! The right scent drives me mad. I was at a faire with a friend who was trying oils and had me judge. One caused me to utter a completely unconscious, throaty growl.
I tend to like vanilla's and musks. Lotions, because of their lighter scent, I prefer to perfume.
Lotions
The Body Shop Duo Body Butter, Bliss Vanilla + Bergmot Body Buff, Lavanila Laboratories The Healthy Body Butter Vanilla Coconut
Perfume, Kiehl's Since 1851 Original Musk Body Lotion
Theo Fennell Scent, Guerlain Jicky, Spirituese Double Vanille, Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger, I tried a few perfumes: I quite liked one with musk (that dates me doesn't it? [Eek!] )but then I broke out with a skin rash.

I detest lilac smells indoors, and quite abhor Brut. Someone showed up one day with it and I quietly asked some of the more tactful women I supervised to ask him to please never wear it again to work.

A quiet dab of perfume is surely all that is needed. What is this compulsion to drench oneself in it?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:

Mum herself always wore something called "Tweed" which I haven't actually seen or smelled for years.

Still soldiering on.

Btw, can I recommend Perfumes: the Guide by Turin & Sanchez.

This is part of their remarks on Poison

"...the fragrance everyone loves to hate, the beast that defined the eighties, the perfume that cost me a couple of friendships and one good working relationship. It is also unquestionably the best dressed-up, syrupy tuberose in history..."

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought patchouli was the scent everyone loves to hate.

Bad hippie! Patchouli is not a substitute for bathing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
A quiet dab of perfume is surely all that is needed. What is this compulsion to drench oneself in it?

I remember discussing a film that had "smell o vision"... fragrances were let into the theater. The problem is that people have an order of magnitude difference in how sensitive they are to fragrance. So a level that one person could barely smell makes someone else nauseous with the strength.

Years ago I worked for a small company in Boston. The high school dropout shipping boy and the president of the company both wore eye-watering amounts of perfume such that you could smell them coming 30 feet off.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some really lovely Chanel parfums--No. 5, Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles. These are gorgeous but a bit too much for the humid summers here. Cuir de Russie is my go-to winter fragrance.

For summer I have Chanel No. 19 Eau de Parfum, Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain, and Cefiro by Floris--those are wonderful light fragrances. Oh, and let's not forget that old classic, No. 4711--if kept in the fridge, it is just delicious to spritz on when coming in from the heat.

I also have Arpege--love the bottle and the old-fashioned scent. That one I wear in fall and winter.

I have some Chypre by Coty from the 1980s, which I like a lot . I don't have anything else quite like it. I got a very small sample of even older Coty Chypre--it's a knockout.

My most treasured fragrances are vintage Gold by Amouage, and some vintage Tabac Blond by Coty. I am rationing these, trust me.

I got heavily into perfume last year, bought tons of vintage samples from various places and read up on perfume like a maniac. A lot of the classic perfumes have been reformulated due to environmental or animal protection concerns. I am all for that. It's true, though, that the vintage versions of certain fragrances pack a wallop that the modern reformulations just don't.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SimonRockman
Apprentice
# 18155

- Posted      Profile for SimonRockman   Author's homepage   Email SimonRockman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I appreciate that this is going to take the thread off topic and that’s probably a poor citizen thing to do with my first post but I’d like to share a story with you about perfume.

About six years ago my wife, Diana, and I were on holiday in France, staying in a friend’s house with a mutual friend, Karen. My wife, Karen and some other friends went to Grasse for the day where they visited a perfume factory.

Karen and Diana, two beautiful women, learned how to make perfume and composed their own fragrances. The factory made up samples to Karen and Diana’s recipes. I first knew Karen when she was a dancer, but by the time of our trip to France she had become a doctor working for BUPA. She always liked a challenge. That grew to become a humanitarian one and she went to do incredible work in Afghanistan. Where she was tracked by the Taliban and killed.

In March 2012 Diana and I were back in France, she had been diagnosed with cancer and we took the opportunity of a romantic week away to just enjoy each other’s company. But Diana wanted to do something special for Karen’s mother so we revisited the factor and got them to re-make the one-off perfume Karen had created and Diana also got her perfume made up.

A few days after we returned to the UK Diana got ill, but all the time she was in hospital he implored me to send the perfume to Karen’s mother. I was too concerned about Diana’s health.

It was a well-founded concern. Diana succumbed to pneumonia, chemotherapy left her too weak to fight it and she died. I gave Karen’s mother her daughters perfume, and Diana’s mother also go the perfume from her dead daughter.

It’s bittersweet. It’s nice to remember people by their photographs, videos, paintings, writings and recordings but perfume gave two women an opportunity to remember their children by the smells they had created.

Simon

Posts: 3 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's some first post Simon. I guess it is going to take some time for the pain to go out of those aromas. Bittersweet perfumes indeed, but I think most women would probably love to be remembered as a unique and lingering fragrance. What amazing women. May their memory and legacy be eternal.

I had no idea ordinary citizens could have their own perfume made up and filed. Mine would have violet undertones, but then, I probably would not be able to wear it, as my husband of 35 years is allergic to perfume. (Think Mr.Bean crawling through the scent department on the floor of a department store and you've got it). It really does leave him gasping for breath - just another reason he avoids crowded places.

But early in our marriage I read somewhere that people who were allergic to perfumes could often tolerate the smell of natural oils.
So I dragged him off to our nearest purveyor of natural perfume oils from the East and we went through the entire stand to see what pleased us both.

There were two that he liked: Sandalwood, and Frankincense. Having been children of the 60's sandalwood was a little too redolent of hippydom for either of us. But I have worn Frankincense or Frankincense blended with Myrrh for 3 decades now.

A friend of mine has a perfume that is based on a rose incense used by the orthodoxen. I think it is very beautiful, but her son claims it makes her smell like a smoky barbecue, and hates it.
Perfume is obviously an odd and subjective thing.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BL, a large department store in Sydney used to have its perfume department on ground floor near the entrance and also near escalators to upper floors. Most perfumes give me a headache. I would take a deep breath, very deep, enter shop and sprint to escalator where I held my breath till I reached floor above.

It's not that I don't like perfume. Most of it gives me a migraine very quickly, although essential oils in a light perfume are usually fine.

I was given some expensive stuff once. A quick sniff made me overcome my thoughts and I sprayed a bit on a wrist. Big mistake. Massive migraine and although I washed my wrist thoroughly, I could still smell it days later. I don't know if it is the actual perfume, or some of the fixatives or other ingredients. I no longer try anything. Someone mentioned Tweed up the thread. It used to be good, but I think that although it smells similar to the Tweed of my youth, the ingredients have changed. It is now a migraine trigger.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to The Ship, Simon.

Only the actions of the just
Smell sweet, and blossom in their dust.

Your post may have taken us further into perfume than the cosmetic, but that's fair enough. Scent is very evocative of memories, both happy and sad and both.

On a Hostly note, take time to stroll the decks: you'll see we have a range from light to serious to sulphurous.

Happy sailing.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Scent is very evocative of memories, both happy and sad and both.

I'll say. My beloved oldest brother was killed in a car accident in Austin, Texas in 1977. In 1981, I moved to Austin. His widow had packed up his clothing and let me have a couple of his shirts. They still smelled like him. I was in tears; it was like he was still alive.

I slept with those shirts until they didn't smell like him any more.

Definitely, scent is incredibly evocative.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loth, the most beautiful essential oil I have ever come across was Lotus oil. My sister came back after visiting a perfumery in Egypt, and while all the other passengers on her tour were buying blended perfumes she chose to bring home a tiny bottle of straight Lotus oil. Apparently always used as a base note because of its intensity and expense, I thought it the most exquisite thing I'd ever smelled.

Now I understand why it was so prized in Middle Eastern cultures.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a male Meerkat, I like Eau de Earwig or Scent of Slowworm! [Killing me]

Seriously, I like Givenchy's "Pi" and Thierry Mugler's "Amen”. The latter lingers longer!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Having been children of the 60's sandalwood was a little too redolent of hippydom for either of us.

Maybe the hippies knew something back then: Sandalwood scent facilitates wound healing and skin regeneration.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Frankincense and Myrrh also have many wonderful properties. I suspect most essential oils do. So if you struggle with perfume, there is a world of natural blessing to explore if you wish to. Often much cheaper too!

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great post on youth and fragrance and what is outdated to some but not others is here. For example, I was born in 1989 so I associate patchouli with modern fruity florals (which they are often a base note for), not hippies.

I love, love, love Shalimar - just perfection. I also love Estee Lauder Cinnabar, and happy to wear it for daytime. My skin amplifies sweetness and spice, and I find florals difficult to wear because they go weird or disappear. Chanel No5 is dreadful on me, and No19 is grass and metal and not much else. Rive Gauche just goes soapy. I like some orange blossom scents though - if you like JPG Classique you'll probably like Elie Saab EdP, very pretty. I am definitely a Guerlainade fan, though I prefer L'Heure Bleue to Mitsouko - Mitsouko is nice but for some reason very Christmassy on me. L'Heure Bleue is really interesting and subtle.

Niminypiminy, I love Nose and use them all the time. And Tauer fragrances are wonderful! Have you tried any Arabian fragrances, or Serge Lutens?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I hate perfume. But I like the smell of Karma soap from Lush.

There are many perfumes that smell similar to Karma though - and Lush make Karma in fragrance form.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patchouli, oh dear. I used to love that and after a few free dabs of it in successive visits to a shop, I eventually treated myself to a small bottle of it and immediately put some on. Inevitably, I forgot to close the bottle as tightly as it needed, so it leaked badly on the way home. By the time I got home my bag and I reeked of it, the things in the bag had to be thrown out, and I couldn't seem to get rid of the smell, which lingered for days. I've loathed it ever since.

The Body Shop used to do a nice range of tiny bottles of interesting scents. I still have their Japanese Musk, which is quite pleasant. But today I have Yardley's Orange-Blossom. I used to wear this a lot until I got fed up with it, but am now coming back to it again.

[ 12. July 2014, 20:20: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Body Shop's White Musk is gorgeous.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this talk of perfume has encouraged me to dig out the one bottle I have, Body Shop Bergamot cologne spray.

It must be at least 10 years old, but it smells much as I remember it.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
A great post on youth and fragrance and what is outdated to some but not others is here. For example, I was born in 1989 so I associate patchouli with modern fruity florals (which they are often a base note for), not hippies.

I was born in the mid '50s so I remember patchouli becoming popular, and the reason, it masks the smell of dope smoke. I associate patchouli not so much with hippies but with dope smoking.

My scent is Calvin Klein Eternity, as I prefer the no alcohol non irritating after-shave balms. My skin is so sensitive that most of the non-irritating deodorants irritate me, and those I can use can only be used in small quantities, so that what is supposed to be 48 hour protection will only last 8 hours at best.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
All this talk of perfume has encouraged me to dig out the one bottle I have, Body Shop Bergamot cologne spray.

It must be at least 10 years old, but it smells much as I remember it.

Bergamot if fine as a perfume, just don't add it to tea. That is outrage.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heretic, Earl Grey is the only tea worth drinking !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

What I want now is bergamot shower gel.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
What I want now is bergamot shower gel.

Boots have frustratingly discontinued their lovely one - Palmolive do a bergamot and verbena one which is heavier on bergamot. Also this.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ta muchly.

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade, I loved that post on teen perfumes. It reminds me seeing two boys in their early teens looking at Lynx in the supermarket, and saying 'oh, this stuff is gorgeous'.

The only Serge Lutens I know is Bois de Femininite, which I quite like, although I'm really not a fan of fruity perfumes. I'd like to try his Bois de Violette though. My favourite woody perfumes at the moment are Chanel Bois des Iles (my sample has run out, though, alas, and I haven't managed to find another one), and Guerlain Samsara, which I own a bottle of.

I love Guerlain, although not all of them. I can't wear L'heure Bleue at all, but like Mitsouko. My favourite is Chamade which is my default scent.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I would assume a major goal for teen perfume, is to mask the smell of Clearasil.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My skin is slightly sensitive to perfume but I fi d spraying it on a hairbrush and brushing lightly through my hair means I can smell it all day with no skin irritation.

Hopefully this also means it is not too strong for those around - like others up thread I find it very difficult when people in my office insist on drenching in perfume - one girl refreshes it two or three times a day, making me wheeze (I don't have asthma but do get hayfever and similar allergies).

My scents of choice are Chanel no 5 and Lush Karma.

I hate patchouli, it smells of rotting mouldy trainers to me.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
My skin is slightly sensitive to perfume but I fi d spraying it on a hairbrush and brushing lightly through my hair means I can smell it all day with no skin irritation.

Hopefully this also means it is not too strong for those around - like others up thread I find it very difficult when people in my office insist on drenching in perfume - one girl refreshes it two or three times a day, making me wheeze (I don't have asthma but do get hayfever and similar allergies).

My scents of choice are Chanel no 5 and Lush Karma.

I hate patchouli, it smells of rotting mouldy trainers to me.

I'm a bit puzzled - Lush Karma is heavy on patchouli [Confused] It's basically patchouli and orange.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a teen, I also wore Je Reviens by Worth.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good spot! My apologies!

I take it back (I had always thought karma smelt of jasmine but Google says I am wrong.) in which case, something else, which is often in other products than Karma that have patchouli in, which I had previously believed to be patchouli, smells like mouldy trainers.

*goes back to drawing board to find out what That. Thing. That. Smells. Bad. is*

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Love the idea of spritzing a hairbrush with perfume. I've never tried turning an oil into a spritz. Anyone else here done that?

I was told many years ago that the only pulse point worth putting scent on was the hollow of the neck, as that helps to warm the oil and carry it to the olfactory senses. Dabbing scent on the wrists might be nice if you sniff your wrists all the time, but is otherwise not particularly useful or long lasting. No idea if that is true, but it does sound reasonable.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Depends how much you want other people to smell it - since you wave your arms about more.
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good spot! My apologies!

I take it back (I had always thought karma smelt of jasmine but Google says I am wrong.) in which case, something else, which is often in other products than Karma that have patchouli in, which I had previously believed to be patchouli, smells like mouldy trainers.

*goes back to drawing board to find out what That. Thing. That. Smells. Bad. is*

I think patchouli is one of those scents that can smell very different depending on what else is in the mix. Of course people smell things very differently anyway, so one person might smell the components of a fragrance whilst another smells the overall blend.

I like patchouli as a very small addition to a fragrance that would otherwise be a bit sweet or cloying, but not on its own.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strange memory last night of the first time I visited a gay bar, sometime in the mid to late 1960s, and the whole place reeked of Brut - YUK!

[Projectile]

These days I don't think any self-respecting gay man would dream of using it.

eta: I wonder if Henry Cooper knew about its then reputation.

Splash it all over!

[ 14. July 2014, 09:50: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Good spot! My apologies!

In Lush, Godiva shampoo bar and Flying Fox shower gel smell of jasmine. Lust perfume and Silky Underwear dusting powder smell of jasmine and rose.

Depending on what the fragrance is, it could be something like coriander causing the Bad Smell - but if you like Chanel No5 I don't think it is (I cannot wear Chanel No5 as it smells like rotting flowers on me, and I think it's the coriander). What fragrances have you tried and not liked?

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Love the idea of spritzing a hairbrush with perfume. I've never tried turning an oil into a spritz. Anyone else here done that?

I was told many years ago that the only pulse point worth putting scent on was the hollow of the neck, as that helps to warm the oil and carry it to the olfactory senses. Dabbing scent on the wrists might be nice if you sniff your wrists all the time, but is otherwise not particularly useful or long lasting. No idea if that is true, but it does sound reasonable.

Depends on the strength of the fragrance IME - I have some very strong, very heavy orientals (stuff like Odin or Serge Lutens) that I wear dabbed on the wrist, as if dabbed on the neck it's a bit overwhelming.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I wonder if Henry Cooper knew about its then reputation ...

I've lived a very sheltered life - I didn't know it had that sort of "reputation". I remember liking it*, and even buying a ladies' scent called (IIRC) Gingham because it smelt similar ... [Hot and Hormonal]

* I was a teenager, it was the 1970s - of course I didn't have any taste. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Depending on what the fragrance is, it could be something like coriander causing the Bad Smell - but if you like Chanel No5 I don't think it is (I cannot wear Chanel No5 as it smells like rotting flowers on me, and I think it's the coriander). What fragrances have you tried and not liked?

I'm pretty sure Chanel No 5 doesn't contain coriander. It's a revolting idea!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

I'm pretty sure Chanel No 5 doesn't contain coriander. It's a revolting idea!
You're right (I think I was thinking of Coco), but coriander (seed, that is) is a very common ingredient in perfumery - it has a spicy citrus aroma, it doesn't smell like leaf coriander smells or tastes.

I can see some perfumes I like contain coriander, and most of Chanel No5's notes are ones I like in other perfumes, so I think it may be the aldehydes spoiling it for me.

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find aldehydes very difficult nowadays. In the 80s I used to wear White Linen which is full of them, and now I can't bear it at all. Make my nose and head ache.

Chanel no 5 is a very aldehydic perfume -- they make it sparkling and perfume-y; Rive Gauche is another classic aldehyde-heavy scent, and so is Chanel no 19.

Today, on the other hand, I'm wearing Tauer's Une Rose Chypree, which to me smells like wild roses in a damp wood, with lots of moss and earth and fallen leaves around. It's a baking hot day, and it reminds me of the coolth of woods in this weather.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a big fan of perfume - I own about a hundred different scents, actually - but I really don't get on with most of the mass-produced, watered-down eau de parfum types that are filled with alcohol to make them sprayable.

I much prefer perfume oils; they have a wider variety of scents, they dry down more interestingly and they last longer. They also don't all smell of alcohol!

The usual place to start with these is the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab; they were once the biggest and best, but perhaps have suffered a little from their widespread success. They're still the best place to begin, though, probably, and they have some truly wonderful things - Cathedral and Queen of Sheba are my favourites, but there's something for everyone.

The ones I get complimented on the most are from One Hand Washes The Other, but there are many many many more indie retailers making and selling truly glorious things.

There's also a whole perfume community that is full of lovely, friendly, welcoming people and organises swaps and sales and gives advice and all sorts.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
I find aldehydes very difficult nowadays. In the 80s I used to wear White Linen which is full of them, and now I can't bear it at all. Make my nose and head ache.

Chanel no 5 is a very aldehydic perfume -- they make it sparkling and perfume-y; Rive Gauche is another classic aldehyde-heavy scent, and so is Chanel no 19.

Today, on the other hand, I'm wearing Tauer's Une Rose Chypree, which to me smells like wild roses in a damp wood, with lots of moss and earth and fallen leaves around. It's a baking hot day, and it reminds me of the coolth of woods in this weather.

Maybe it's the aldehydes plus the 'warmer' notes in No5 that I dislike so much. Rive Gauche and No19 are not what I'd choose but they don't smell awful as such on me, just quite flat and one-dimensional.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never really been one for perfumes, I tried a few of the Avon ones in my teens but the scent didn't last long on me, same with the imitation perfumes I tried at a time when money was very tight. For the last ten or so years I have stuck to lavender water.

However, on a whim last week I decided to order some proper, grown up perfume and ordered Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden, mainly because I liked the name. I think I have actually found a perfume that suits me, I love the scent and it lasts, I put a little on my neck and wrists this morning and can still smell it on me

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Goodonyer.

There are websites (some mentioned above) which will sell you samples for modest amounts, before you splurge on a whole bottle. Or you can tour the perfume counters (best done with a friend). Use the little cardboard strips for first spray - only put it on skin if you think it's a contender. And be shameless in asking if they have samples. Remember phrases like 'top notes' and 'dry down'.

Perfume is a pleasure, so enjoy.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Be aware that some sample sites like Nose specialise in niche brands - I much prefer them but they can be difficult to wear. This isn't meant to put you off, just as a heads-up. If you have a search on ebay, there are lots of samples and mini bottles from more mainstream brands. Also, go into Boots/department stores and have a sniff of everything - this is really helpful as you get an idea of what perfume houses you like as well as notes. M&S has a great perfume range nowadays with some nice designer dupes, as well as original own-brand perfumes and some smaller designer ranges.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016