homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Name your own church! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Name your own church!
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Is there a patron saint of sleep? I'd go to that church.

St. Elijah -- and his Feast Day is tomorrow. I think we should all celebrate by sleeping in or having an afternoon nap. [/QB]
Or going to church and sleeping through the sermon (which could begin with a reading of "Goodnight Moon").

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think I would probably have to call a new church "Bitchin' Schismatics" to be truly reflecting the likely nature of the group.

Although anyone who could admit to being a member would have a good starting point for a discussion.

True story: There is a Harmony Southern Baptist Church in the city where I formerly lived. And it was founded by the disaffected break-aways from seven other congregations.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah...rumor has it that most of tge Peace Lutherans were started as a result of church breakups.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 30 years ago I worked for the then Department of Labour in Rotorua ( North Island, NZ). A group of us had to visit a small town on State Highway 1 to sign up pepole who had been made redundant from the forestry industry. The local Catholic church was called St Joseph the Worker which seemed particularly poignant.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For fans of The Quiz we could have The Church of the Blessed Guessometer where many of us would happily worship.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a nearby town there is a Believers' Church, which seems a rather nonsensical name that would cover most people of faith but I find from a [very little] bit of research that it is pretty active in doing social good and generally evangelical in nature.

My personal choice for a church would be a dedication to St Weasel the Bewildered.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Redeemed Christian Church of God has a Holy Ghost Zone and a Royal Diadem Assembly in Northampton.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A church near me could be renamed 'St. Thurible and All Flying Bishops'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife's grandparents lived in Cordova, Nebraska, where there used to be two Lutheran churches: the Holy Danes and the Happy Danes (they really did exist - you can look it up). They still have two Lutheran churches; St John's (Missouri Synod) and and Trinity (ELCA), and I don't know how happy or holy either of them is, but the family used to gather at Trinity very happily. The population of Cordova is around 140.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
there used to be two Lutheran churches: the Holy Danes and the Happy Danes

And when they merged, their motto became: A holy Dane is a happy Dane.

Miss Amanda will get her wrap.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually when the Holy Danes and the Happy Danes merged they became, of course, the GREAT Danes!

So sorry, I couldn't resist.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swordflasher
Apprentice
# 18169

- Posted      Profile for Swordflasher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garrison Keillor's fictional Catholic church in Lake Woebegon has always made me chuckle - Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility.

Taking a leaf from another author I would love to find the Church of Starry Wisdom nestling down a forgotten side street near the docks.

And if I invented a church - how about a Friends Meeting House? No wait, hasn't that..?

Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a church not far from here dedicated to Sts Quiricus and Julietta. Another one I like is St Arild. She has a well, but nobody seems to know much about her. At our cathedral, they always remember St Jordan which is prone to cause amusement. Again, nobody knows much about him except that he dates from about 600 and had something to do with St Augustine (Canterbury, not Hippo).

St Botolph was quite a famous saint. Boston Stump, the place from which the Pilgrim Fathers set off, is dedicated to him.

I think my real preference though is for Stella Gibbons's Church of the Quivering Brethren. .

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When two presbyterian churches in a southern Ontario town, St Giles and St Andrew's, amalgamated a couple of years ago, they were smitten by a blinding flash of heavenly inspiration and became Westside, on account of being on the west side of the river, same as the other two presbyterians. Some believe this may be a holding pattern until the next amalgamation, when they will all become Heavenly Spirit Peace and Fellowship in Sublime Tranquillity Presbyterian Church, or something like that. But not soon.

Getting a bit tangential, but picking up on the Garrison Keillor mention, Stephen Leacock's short story "The rival churches of St Asaph and St Osoph" is also a delight to read.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Swordflasher! [Big Grin]

I'm glad you braved your first post here in Heaven! There's a special thread of welcome in All Saints which you may want to check out.

Each board has a brief description (or warning!) which will be helpful to you.

I hope you enjoy your voyage with us! [Smile]

jedijudy
One of the Heaven Hosts

ps...my sword is a lightsaber.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
When two presbyterian churches in a southern Ontario town, St Giles and St Andrew's, amalgamated a couple of years ago, they were smitten by a blinding flash of heavenly inspiration and became Westside, on account of being on the west side of the river, same as the other two presbyterians. Some believe this may be a holding pattern until the next amalgamation, when they will all become Heavenly Spirit Peace and Fellowship in Sublime Tranquillity Presbyterian Church, or something like that. But not soon. ...

Or possibly "Both Sides", which would be better than "Backside".

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the name of a Korean evangelical church in Los Angeles. The "Aroma of Jesus Mission Church" (Flickr.com picture). Does it smell of roses or something more pungent?

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
I quite like the name of a Korean evangelical church in Los Angeles. The "Aroma of Jesus Mission Church" (Flickr.com picture). Does it smell of roses or something more pungent?

I would think it's a reference to 2 Corinthians 2:15, but that's about our aroma, not God's [Confused]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:

I would think it's a reference to 2 Corinthians 2:15, but that's about our aroma, not God's [Confused]
The fact that it's a quotation from scripture doesn't let whoever named the church off the charge of having not considered that some people might think this a daft name for a church.

The same goes for whoever wrote the chorus 'Pierce my ear Lord'. It's impeccable theology. That doesn't stop it from producing entirely legitimate mockery from anyone who hears or reads the first line for the first time.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True. But I rather like daft church names, as they keep us humble. What I loathe and despise are names like "The Association of Courageous Churches" and "Steadfast Lutherans", names chosen by the so-designated themselves. I mean, why praise yourself? It's just a set up for a tremendous fall, besides making nasty people like me hate you on first hearing.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016