homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Graffiti

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Graffiti
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading this article on medieval churches' graffiti, and it put me in mind of a few things:

The urge to draw, and also to caricature is ancient. Some cave art probably qualifies as the first graffiti. And in an age where people couldn't write, they drew. I once saw a Victorian photo of a street in London's East End where the wall was covered in graffiti - not a single written word, as presumably all those doing it were illiterate, but all drawings and cartoons, and some very well drawn.

Some ancient graffiti still survive. There are the rudenesses on the walls in Pompeii, and somewhere in Hertfordshire there's a carved inscription that says "At last the end of the Black Death."

And as per the article, if you look at the cloisters in Salisbury Cathedral, you'll find some bored churchgoer, centuries ago, carved the outline of a little dog into one of the stones.

So - any interesting old graffiti that you know of, in your church, or elsewhere?

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a few months in my hometown, early 90s, there was anti-Christian graffiti scrawled all over the downtown.

"There are billions of gods more powerful than Jesus."

"Billions of powerful gods shall burn out the eyes of Jesus."

And other variations on that theme. I also found a business card that someone had printed up, with a long paragraph stating the same general stuff in the same language.

A friend of mine figured it was suburban kids, but a local street preacher told me it was a dischargee from the psych hospital. The rambling nature of the business card inclines me toward the latter theory.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christianity's relationship with graffiti goes back a long way.

The most embarrassing was when a member of another congregation took it into his head to use graffiti as an evangelism tool. Full marks for bright ideas but the execution was as amateurish as to negate any usefulness at all. Normally these were done in chalk and the symbolism was so obscure I think most people who noticed them thought them the scribbles of a rather out of control toddler.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a construction site in Los Angeles several years ago, someone had painted JESUS SAVES FROM HELL in large letters on a temporary wall.

Someone else added O DOLLY REVIVALS to complete the sentence.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of the election slogan: VOTE FOR DUFFY - AND IRELAND to which had been added 'S DEAD WILL RISE AND CURSE YOU.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago the sign on entering Redruth in Cornwall had been changed from 'Welcome to Redruth' to 'You're Welcome to Redruth'.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the graffito that says:

Things I hate:
1. Graffiti
2. Irony
3. Lists

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nephew told me of one. A pair of doors. One had that sign on it 'This door is alarmed'. Someone had written on the other, 'This one's just mildly irritated'.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old piece of graffiti found on the big advertising hoardings you see along roads, when Mars were using the slogan "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play" except this hoarding only had:
"A Mars a day helps ..."
and someone had helpfully added "teeth decay."

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two stones with Viking inscriptions in Carlisle Cathedral. They seem to have put glass over the one next to the main door and stuck a notice above it; when we went to look at it (over 20 years ago now) it was hidden behind the postcard stand and the cathedral guide didn't know about it. He came over to find out why we were moving the postcard stand and peering at the wall behind it!

I expect it's in all the cathedral guidebooks now, but back then we only knew about it because we had a cathedral guidebook published in 1914.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course there are runes all over at Maes Howe.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reliably informed that the Viking runes at Maes Howe contain the line, "Thora is a slag", which is kind of reassuringly predictable.

I was also told about a piece of navy graffiti from the old days, where underneath Wrens' Entrance, some wag had written, Indeed they do!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love witty graffiti and have a collection of JPEGs. However the best I ever saw myself was not witty or even clever but it was perfect.

Loads of work lorries were parking on a small piece of grass opposite a building development. One night some irate neighbour (I guess) wrote in green spray paint on the white plywood site hoardings:

"The piece of grass opposite is not a f**cking lorry park so stop parking your f**king lorries on it you f**cking c**ts."

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Near where I live there's a railway bridge that attracts a lot of graffiti "tagging". Frankly, it brightens the place up, but of course the council keep sending people to paint over it with dull grey paint.

As of last week, the only thing on the bridge was an indignant "STOP PAINTING OVER MY ART".

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"The piece of grass opposite is not a f**cking lorry park so stop parking your f**king lorries on it you f**cking c**ts."

Not graffiti, but in the same general thematic vein...

On one of my trips back home, there was a guy who'd play the bagpipes every night in a park near a residential section of downtown(Canada has a substantial community of "stage Scots").

One night, the guy was marching around the park around 10:00 PM, and someone driving by in a car and screamed "SHUT THE **** UP YOU ****ING LOSER!!"

What I loved was that the heckler didn't even give the piper the honour of an ethnic or cultural slur, it was just an impersonal, no-frills string of obsecene insults.

[ 21. July 2014, 15:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30+ years ago, I worked at Old Windsor and occasionally went into London by bus. One of the flyovers had a piece of graffiti which seemed apt - "Good morning lemmings".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a famous one at Ladbroke Grove in the 60s, which was like that. It ran for a long distance along the tube track, on a low wall, and read something like, 'Work, eat, sleep, don't you ever get tired of this meaningless hamster wheel that you are treading, so that a brutal capitalism can sustain itself?' Actually, it was even longer than that.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere in Sarf Lun'non, on the wall of a school. "MANKIND SHALL BECOME EXSINCT"

And the Vikings did Hagia Sophia as well. On the lines of "Guthrum was here". Somehow one doesn't imagine them having that level of literacy.

Double meaning intentional.

OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a long while (probably a couple of years or more) in the 1980s a high, prominent wall close to the exit from King's Cross Station displayed the slogan in letters about two feet high: 'JESUS IS COMING SOON'. I wonder if it was written by a trespassing Christian in those days of more gung-ho evangelism, or alternatively by somebody despairing of secular politics of the day and of no particular religious persuasion. Maybe it was written lawfully by the wall's owner.
Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
there's a random piece of advice/graffiti on a road near me - all is says is 'BRUSH YOUR TEETH'

[ 22. July 2014, 11:50: Message edited by: cheesymarzipan ]

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a double graffito on The Ffestiniog railway just outside Blaenau Ffestiniog.

"Free Wales" to which was added "with every 5 gallons."

But Graffiti is old, even the Egyptians did it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Vikings also got as far as Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, and some were bored enough during one of the services to carve "Olaf the Viking woz 'ere" or the equivalent into one of the marble balconies, which you can still see today.

I can only think it must have been an exceptionally dull service.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one of the better graffiti on a church.

street art appeared a week ago on the door of the abandoned church they own.

"The portrait of an aboriginal youth with long braids is a welcome addition to the rundown building "

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my current fav

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My current favourite is on a discontinued block (conversion or new build) of flats in Poplar and apparently a Banksy (it's on his website). I must go back and take a better picture, because there's another amazing piece of graffiti around the corner from there, too.

[ 22. July 2014, 14:44: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel

I woz there first.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both of these are great! I'm having a double chuckle just now. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
my current fav

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
My current favourite is on a discontinued block (conversion or new build) of flats in Poplar and apparently a Banksy (it's on his website). I must go back and take a better picture, because there's another amazing piece of graffiti around the corner from there, too.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
For a long while (probably a couple of years or more) in the 1980s a high, prominent wall close to the exit from King's Cross Station displayed the slogan in letters about two feet high: 'JESUS IS COMING SOON'.

I've seen that elsewhere with the added words 'look busy'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Locally, someone has been putting graffiti on stop signs on the back roads. My 2 favorites are: STOP being ugly and STOP drop and roll.

but then I'm easily amused [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 1960s someone with a stencil left the message STAMP OUT BAD KARMA on all the sidewalks in the area of Harvard Square.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine is a very good graffiti artist. Only images though, no text.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a "Do not pass" sign I've seen added underneath "Go. Do not collect $200."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old piece of graffiti near the Scots/Irish area in Derby read "GOURANGA" but before long someone crossed it out and sprayed "GOU CELTIC" over the top.
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A famous, if rather odd, bit of graffiti in York is the sign that reads "Ah good the sea". It's been there in a lane by the University for at least the last 15 years, repainted fresh at times.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the 70s "NICHOLAS PARSONS IS THE NEO-OPIATE OF THE PEOPLE" appeared on a wall on a roundabout near Harrow. It stayed there undisturbed for decades until it just faded away.

Unlike its subject, who just goes on and on...

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
A famous, if rather odd, bit of graffiti in York is the sign that reads "Ah good the sea". It's been there in a lane by the University for at least the last 15 years, repainted fresh at times.

There's something vaguely similar in a side street in Oxford behind one of the colleges, with the outline of a stegosaurus and "Remember what happened to the dinosaur!". Nobody knows who drew it there, or why, but it's repainted periodically, and has been, for at least 35-40 years. (Intriguingly, there's also a blue stegosaurus behind it with the legend "I did, and look what happened to me".)

In recent years the college wall it was on was rebuilt to put a gate in, and the dinosaur was temporarily decapitated. The college had the head repainted.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked this one on a wall in Oxford. Apparently it's been there for forty-plus years, and it's very noticeable that someone repainted it when the new doorway was put through the wall a few years ago!

AG

ETA - Ha! How's that for a cross-post?

[ 23. July 2014, 13:20: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I've always liked this one on a wall in Oxford. Apparently it's been there for forty-plus years, and it's very noticeable that someone repainted it when the new doorway was put through the wall a few years ago!

Gosh, it's still there.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been making the rounds...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
This has been making the rounds...

Those are fabulous, I also love that the council worker trimmed the bush.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That guy rocks, whoever he is. A crown awaits him in Heaven.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite (though sadly fictional) graffiti would have to be the lovely Romanes Eunt Domus

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016