homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Musical jokes (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Musical jokes
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one's yet mentioned the story about the rehearsal of Aida?

Sir Thomas Beecham was conducting. This was a large-scale version of the opera, with the Egyptian army being... um, armed... with elephants.

During the rehearsal, one of the elephants decided it needed to do a poo. A very large poo. On stage.

"No stage manners, ladies and gentleman", Beecham said to his human performers, "but what a critic!"

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quartet realise at rehearsal that they're missing their viola player. They ring around for a bit, and one of their friends tells them they saw him in his car driving in the direction of Beachy Head, so they all pile into a car and shoot off there as quickly as they can.

As they trudge up the hill, they see their errant violist, along with a huge pile of something-or-other which, as they get closer, they realise is a mound of tambourines. Getting closer still, they realise that he's frantically grabbing tambourines from the heap and flinging them off the cliff into the sea.

Just as they're reaching him, the viola player notices them approaching and looks relieved,
"Quick, help me, there isn't much time - we need to throw all these banjo eggs into the sea before they hatch".

[ 06. August 2014, 11:14: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad Orfeo mentioned Sir Thomas Beecham - it gives me an excuse to tell a Beecham story that's always made me chuckle.

He was having a piano rehearsal with a particularly awkward and, shall we say, generously-proportioned soprano, who was becoming more and more histrionic. Eventually she expressed her frustration by sitting down heavily on the keyboard.

There was a long pause, and Beecham said, "Gad, three-and-a-half octaves!"

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard many Thomas Beecham stories, but not that one!!

There is a story told by the accompanist Gerald Moore about one of his colleagues, playing for a lieder singer who found it difficult to keep on pitch:

"Madam, I've played for you on the white notes and I've played for you on the black notes, but I cannot play for you in the cracks!"

[ 07. August 2014, 06:15: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this Sir Thomas Beecham quote off WikiQuotes:
quote:
"Here are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn’t give a damn what goes on in between."

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Beecham but Sir Alexander Gibson, in a dress rehearsal of the Nile Scene from 'Aida.'

Addressing the off-stage chorus of priests, 'Gentlemen, you are so behind the beat that you are still in the previous act.'

True story -- I was there and heard him.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A conductor friend used to say (of a piece we were having difficulty with): "We'll now go from the top - see you at the end".

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
piglet: A conductor friend used to say (of a piece we were having difficulty with): "We'll now go from the top - see you at the end".
I like it! I'll definitely use it the next time I'm conducting [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My college music teacher told me about a conductor he'd encountered who would conduct 5/4 time like this:

1 (downswing of baton)
2 (swing right)
3 (swing left)
4 (swing right)
5 (swing left)
*upswing and intake of breath*
1 (downswing)...

...and so on

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I got this Sir Thomas Beecham quote off WikiQuotes:
quote:
"Here are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn’t give a damn what goes on in between."

A guy I used to know, who was a very good amateur violinist, wrote a humorous piece about amateur string quartets: "Meet You at the Fermata."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I scanned that the same way you would"Midnight at the Oasis."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
A bagpipe is a bag, filled with hot air, and making a droning noise.

As is Alex Salmond.

Or Rush Limbaugh. Or Ann Coulter. Or Mitt Romney. Or...yeah, I'll stop now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
A bagpipe is a bag, filled with hot air, and making a droning noise.

As is Alex Salmond.

Or Rush Limbaugh. Or Ann Coulter. Or Mitt Romney. Or...yeah, I'll stop now! [Big Grin]
It could have put any politician. I should have put something about Scotland in there. Then it would be perfect.

A bagpipe is a bag, filled with hot air, and making a droning noise. It is often heard in Scotland.

As is Alex Salmond.

Of course it is never the same a second time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016