homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do You Really Want to Say That?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do You Really Want to Say That?
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my Facebook friends linked to this the other day:

"You Can't Handle the Truth"

Now I could have easily started a thread in DH about the subject of the article. I could have started one in Hell about the misuse of the word "truth" as applied to what is essentially an assertion that someone else is "obviously" lying, based on nothing more than not liking what they have to say.

But... that's too easy a target.

What intrigues me is the use of the title. You'll recall it's a quote from the movie A Few Good Men. I've seen this quote used like this before, by people who think it sounds cool and makes them sound bold and forthright. But they always seem to have forgotten the context. "You can't handle the truth" was spoken by an institutional bully to justify an illegal act of back-room "justice" that ended in a man being killed. Is that really who you want to be quoting? Especially as a defence of Christian "truth"?

I blame Nicholson, he sells that speech too well. [Big Grin]

Anyway what you rarely hear quoted is this exchange:

quote:
Galloway: Why do you hate them so much?

Lt. Weinberg: They beat up on a weakling; that's all they did. The rest is just smokefilled coffee-house crap. They tortured and tormented a weaker kid. They didn't like him. So, they killed him. And why? Because he couldn't run very fast.

or this

quote:
Downey: What did we do wrong? We did nothing wrong!
Dawson: Yeah we did. We were supposed to fight for people who couldn't fight for themselves. We were supposed to fight for Willy.

which I personally feel are more in keeping with the overall message of the movie.

Anyway, it got me thinking about cases where people use cultural references out of context. Not just out of context but almost in direct contradiction to the spirit of the source material.

Anyone else got any good examples of this kind of thing?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Paul, I guess the answer is 'no'. Would you have better luck at the Circus board? You may wish to ask a host or hostess...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin

You've been around long enough to know that we don't appreciate junior hosting around here. We're not too keen on sexist stuff either (as you were told recently in All Saints) so please don't use patronising comments like "hostess"

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often heard Dr Johnson's remark "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" used as though he were describing patriotism, whereas in fact he's just describing scoundrels. There's nothing to suggest he had anything against patriots.

Also, "the exception that proves the rule" is an item of outlying data that seems to disprove the hypothesis, but ends up causing the hypothesis to be revised and making it stronger. However the statement is now used to suggest that the hypothesis is just fine as it is and can safely ignore apparent contradictions.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Money is the root of all evil"....

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First we state that girls require time and money.
Girls = Time x Money

As we all know, "time is money."
Time = Money

Therefore:
Girls = (Money)^2

And because "money is the root of all evil":
Money = sq. rt.(evil)

It follows:
Girls = sq. rt. ((evil)^2

And we can thus conclude that:
Girls = Evil

Who knew that math logic leads to misogyny?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Up to a point, Lord Copper" is often used that way.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"First let's kill the lawyers..."

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for being surly on my first post and playing junior host, Paul.

I couldn't care less!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lewis Carroll
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The quote about our life being like the flight of a sparrow, which briefly flies from the dark outside through the lighted hall of life before leaving to go who knows where...

... whereas the context was "But this new Christianity thing will illuminate it all for us! So let's go for that instead!"

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sure is reassuring to we pedants to know that we have Weird Al Jankovic on our team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Lewis Carroll
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?

Can you expand on that? What's the context? How does it get used 'wrongly'?
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
It sure is reassuring to we pedants to know that we have Weird Al Jankovic on our team.

I wasn't so much thinking of bad grammar and neologisms - I believe there's already a thread for that [Smile] - as things taken out of context. The Bruce Springsteen song "Born in the USA" is another example - it's often seen as an uncomplicated patriotic song when in fact it's not that at all really. (I think the effect of the tune overrides the lyrics in that case)
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an unwritten rule in western cultures that you don't explicitly contradict Jesus. Even anti-Christians will concede that they admire Jesus, but his followers messed everything up, rather than that Jesus himself was an idiot.

Yet, that custom never seems to stop anyone from delivering a table-banging sermon about "I believe in an eye for an eye", as if expressing this sentiment was the most Christian thing imaginable.

Bouns points if the table-banger prefaces his quote with "Like the Bible says..." (Which it does, but, see the current Marcion threads about that).

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

I wasn't so much thinking of bad grammar and neologisms - I believe there's already a thread for that [Smile] - as things taken out of context. The Bruce Springsteen song "Born in the USA" is another example - it's often seen as an uncomplicated patriotic song when in fact it's not that at all really. (I think the effect of the tune overrides the lyrics in that case)
Jankovic deals with one to which Sir Kevin alludes: "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

Then there is, "This problem cannot be underestimated" when the context indicates that it should be, "This problem cannot be overestimated".

On other occasions it is, of course, appropriate to say, "This problem should not (or must not) be underestimated".

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing is a good thing not a bad thing.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was somebody I once knew, one of whose favourite phrases was "I'm a great believer in ..... ". Without any exception, with 100% consistency, all the time I knew them, this was followed by a really stupid statement.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"To thine own self be true..." ["and it must follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."]

Shakespeare put this sociopath's motto in the mouth of a pompous, amoral fool for a reason.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'...a custom more honoured in the breach than the observance' (Hamlet).

In context it means "This is a custom which is done often, but I think it would be more honourable if they didn't do it at all".

Most people use it to mean "This is supposed to be a custom, but in fact it doesn't happen often".

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:

Rather reminding me of Alan Partridge explaining - to two Irishmen - that "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" is about the feeling of waking up on Sunday morning and realising Monday is only 24 hours away.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So much from the Bible gets taken out of context, and now that we're in a generation that doesn't know the Bible very well, a lot of those oft-quoted phrases don't always make sense. I had a friend ask on facebook a while back why you would call someone the "salt of the earth" as if it's a good thing, when if you actually put salt in the soil it would kill plants! Naturally, I explained the context to him, but perhaps it's a biblical allusion to retire.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arleigh
Shipmate
# 5332

- Posted      Profile for Arleigh   Email Arleigh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
So much from the Bible gets taken out of context

Like Genesis 31:49:

"May the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent one from another."

I've had this said to me as a "blessing" on parting, when in context it's more a threat from Laban to his son-in-law Jacob.

♥Arleigh

Posts: 388 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a suggestion that in conversation the word "frankly" is usually followed by a lie. It's often true. If nothing else the person is warning you that be default they are not frank. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So much from the Bible gets taken out of context, and now that we're in a generation that doesn't know the Bible very well, a lot of those oft-quoted phrases don't always make sense. I had a friend ask on facebook a while back why you would call someone the "salt of the earth" as if it's a good thing, when if you actually put salt in the soil it would kill plants! Naturally, I explained the context to him, but perhaps it's a biblical allusion to retire.

And it doesn't mean salt in the Greek.

Morfe like minerals in Dead Sea mud according to this article.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

…or, at least, salt (in the sense of sodium chloride) is only one of its possible range of meanings.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it really hard to believe that farmers routinely fertilized their ground with stuff from the Dead Sea shores. AFAIK that's a pretty barren place in terms of vegetation as well as fish--I can't imagine it would be good for farm soil unless the soil had some serious deficiencies going on. And the linked material had no footnotes, so I can't tell on what authority the author says so.

Certainly the "halas" Jesus refers to is likely to be impure salt--salt mixed with other minerals--and I've seen people build a whole logical structure on the idea that the "halas" gets wet and the sodium chloride leaches away, leaving only tasteless impurities behind. But I think that's overthinking it. He postulates an impossible situation (that salt becomes unsalty) because it's outrageous. It's supposed to be outrageous--as outrageous (we wish) as the idea of Christians becoming ineffectual. [Hot and Hormonal]

As for "good neither for the soil nor the manure heap," that's a straightforward reference to salt's other properties--even miraculously un-salty salt would be a bad thing to use on your farm, either right away (applying it to the soil) or in the future (by adding it to the manure/compost heap). In other words, it has lost all use whatsoever, and is worse even than shit or banana peels. Nothing to do with it but toss it on the public paths, where at least it can do no harm.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
...why you would call someone the "salt of the earth" as if it's a good thing, when if you actually put salt in the soil it would kill plants...

…or, at least, salt (in the sense of sodium chloride) is only one of its possible range of meanings.
Saltpetre comes from the dead sea and is a fertiliser and also a food preservative.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. Good ol' NaCl used before easy access to refrigeration..
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saltpetre is a potassium salt not a sodium salt
KNO3. (The 3 should be subscript). AKA potassium nitrate.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alex

In case you did not know it, salt NaCl can be used to stop tree stumps from re-sprouting once chopped down.

So it is not something you use as a fertilizer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's the whole "it doesn't matter one iota" phrase, which hinges on the impression that "one iota" is not very significant-- yet it seems to harken to the Nicene debate when, in fact (at least for Trinitarians) one iota was quite significant.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it? Or does it rather come from Matt 5:18, where we are told that not even one iota will pass from the law, ie. not even something as small as an iota. My Matthew professor argued that this was a translation into Greek of a Jesus saying about the Aramaic letter yudh, which can make the same sound as an iota in certain contexts and is indeed very small.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am always baffled by the custom in this country (UK) of singing 'Jerusalem' in a patriotic way, as if it glorifies our 'green and pleasant land'. Given that it's actually a poem about the evils of the Industrial Revolution, I'm not sure how appropriate it really is...

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine, also from the Rhubarb Triangle, always gives me a nudge at the bit about 'Dark Satanic Mills' and says "that's us, that".

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guinness girl:
I am always baffled by the custom in this country (UK) of singing 'Jerusalem' in a patriotic way, as if it glorifies our 'green and pleasant land'. Given that it's actually a poem about the evils of the Industrial Revolution, I'm not sure how appropriate it really is...

Or Scotsmen who insist on pointing out that England isn't where Jesus walked, whereas the whole point of the song is the second verse is a response to the first verse - no, He didn't walk here, but we will be inspired anyway. You don't need to build Jerusalem in Palestine - they already have at least one there.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016