homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Display ideas for scout memorabilia?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Display ideas for scout memorabilia?
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've "inherited" a project to do something with a giant collection of scout badges and neckers (an offshoot of a friend's decluttering!)

Apart from sewing them onto blankets, any ideas?

I have a vague notion of sewing the badges onto the neckers, and then making them into a quilt or maybe a banner.

Except that I've never made a quilt or a banner. I can kind of operate a sewing machine and do hand-sewing. I've been looking online but am rather overwhelmed with the info out there.

Crafty shipmates, come to my aid!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual is to sew them on to blankets then make the blankets into fancy ponchos - like this (with apologies, the light was not good and he was moving) It rather depends if your friend is still involved in the Scouting movement or not.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not exactly active in local Scouts now as an adult, he only does site operations for jamborees ever year.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then having one of those to wear at the campfire at the jamboree could be good

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you want the end result to be? If you want to wear them (or have them worn) then attaching them to some garment is the way to go. If you want to display them, mounting them in a frame or case would be better.
There may be scout regulations about how they may be worn -- I would look into that. If you cannot sew them onto a garment yourself, consider hiring it done -- this will ensure that the items are even, in rows that line up and so on.
If you want them framed, go into a craft or framing store (in the US I would go into Michaels) and solicit the advice of people there. You can buy ready-made frames or display cases and mount the objects yourself, or have the shop do it. If the items are in any way valuable, this is the better option -- then you can be sure the work will not damage the objects.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

They were previously randomly scattered about the house so they aren't that valuable or sentimental! There are a lot of badges!!

My friend's house has a sort of mezzanine thing so there is a section of wall which is double height, which is why I started to think of banners.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Guide badges are on my camp blanket, the sort of poncho thing Curiosity described. However, for the last few years I've been cheating and gluing the badges on, rather than sewing them. The Guide / Scout Shop sells special glue just for this!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016