homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » atheism contribution (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: atheism contribution
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a day when UK atheists are whining about David Cameron calling this a Christian country I would like to ask, specifically what atheism as a philosophy, as a belief-system, as a principle has actually done that is positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world. I don't mean individual atheists, but atheism as a driving force - as opposed to Christianity as a driving force. What is atheism actually FOR? What has it inspired? What cultural progress has been made in the name of atheism? What sacrifices have been made, what beauty has been created, what energy has been released where atheism has been credited as the driving force?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Atheism v Christianity is hardly a fair comparison. Atheism v Theism is one and Humanism v Christianity another, as Humanism does have principles.

Atheism postulates that there is no god and while that has consequences a coherent philosophy is not one of them, so there isn't a "driving force" within or resulting from Atheism. Maybe that is why on-line Atheist forums are fractious: then again, Christian ones get heated at times!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think you've pretty well answered your own question......NOTHING! Atheism, ISTM, is an entirely negative pattern of thought (unlike agnosticism, quite a different thing).

I mean, why on earth bother to spend good money on posters on buses proclaiming 'There is probably no God'??

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of things come to mind:

1) Many faith systems (not only religious ones) do not like questions. Many atheists today are not afraid to question and that's a good thing. The problem comes when all structure is gone: that turns to meaninglessness. And everybody needs meaning.

2) It's an important rejection necessary for the spiritual development of someone that has been subjected to bad theology.

3) It cheers people up that are afraid of morality and consequences of their actions: at least temporarily. The old bus poster "There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy life" is a good description.

It's a crutch that helps some people get through life.

[ 21. April 2014, 12:23: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only problem with its possible good things is that its simply not true.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would take strong issue with the idea that Atheists are "whining" about what David Cameron has said. I think the idea that Britain is a "Christian country" is objectively incorrect. We may have a Judeo-Christian history or our ideas of what is right and wrong derive from a common Judeo-Christian heritage, but that's a very different thing. Cameron in my opinion was using the whole Christian Nation thing to appeal to UKIP voters and confusing Christian with "Nice, British and respectable".

I could imagine that for Atheists, the whole question regarding what Atheism has achieved is wrong headed from the start. From the Atheist's perspective, what it has achieved is irrelevant. If God doesn't exist, God doesn't exist end of. You don't need to justify a non-belief on the grounds of what you can achieve with this non-belief. It's only the arguments for the belief which are important, not what you can achieve with it afterwards.

That said, I think Atheists would argue that (at its best)it seeks to achieve(amongst other things) a world view based on evidence and a morality based on rational arguments rather than any appeal to authority other than what can shown to be true.

[ 21. April 2014, 12:38: Message edited by: Yonatan ]

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:

That said, I think Atheists would argue that (at its best)it seeks to achieve(amongst other things) a world view based on evidence

It's own fabricated evidence. According to its own presuppositions: usually those of scientific materialism.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
On a day when UK atheists are whining about David Cameron calling this a Christian country I would like to ask, specifically what atheism as a philosophy, as a belief-system, as a principle has actually done that is positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world. I don't mean individual atheists, but atheism as a driving force - as opposed to Christianity as a driving force. What is atheism actually FOR? What has it inspired? What cultural progress has been made in the name of atheism? What sacrifices have been made, what beauty has been created, what energy has been released where atheism has been credited as the driving force?

What is Atheism for?

Getting rid of the crap that prevents us focussing on what is actually important; this world, this universe, and our fellow human beings. We aren't praying to cure diseases any more, wasting our time and actively making those being prayed for edgier. We're curing diseases.

What energy has been released? Enough energy to create genuinely secular documents like The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Once you've got the invisible pink unicorn out of the way you can start worrying about things that are actually important. Most atheists don't ultimately care about the difference between atheism, secularism, and deism - just that we can get on with making this world a better one. Or that we can get on with looting this world (I'm not claiming that being an Atheist makes you a good person - merely that it means that you aren't pouring your energy into building ridiculously ornate churches, and into PCC meetings).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

That said, I think Atheists would argue that (at its best)it seeks to achieve(amongst other things) a world view based on evidence

It's own fabricated evidence. According to its own presuppositions: usually those of scientific materialism.
Fabricated evidence? Really? Could you give some examples where evidence has been fabricated (as opposed to being interpreted in a different way).
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Secular democracy; questioning of religious norms and institutions; secular bills of rights; freedom for all of all religions and none. I am a Christian but can still appreciate all those things, and also can still dismiss Cameron talking about 'Christianity' (since his version bears no resemblance to real faith in Christ) as Tory panic over their voters' defection to UKIP. The idea of a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant England is a myth, and harmful myth too.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Science does seem to be rather good at discovering cures for diseases, building better devices for easing labor, predicting possible disasters, helping us find out what is (how big is the universe, how old, why the diversity of life, etc).

Science alone isn't a life stance. Some Christians can do science (exceptions would be the large numbers of them in the US who insist that their interpretation of the Bible trumps any evidence). Some atheists can't do science. An atheistic life stance (there are multiple atheistic life stances just as their are multiple theistic ones) would be humanism (another would be naturalism).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. . . specifically what atheism as a philosophy, as a belief-system, as a principle has actually done that is positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world. I don't mean individual atheists, but atheism as a driving force - as opposed to Christianity as a driving force.

This last bit seems incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to parse. How do you separate individual accomplishment from underlying philosophy? For example, are most of the great strides made in physics in the early twentieth century really "Jüdische Physik", as a certain political movement would have it? Or can we conclude that the relatively non-observant status of many of the scientists involved means that the "driving force" was something else? And if general relativity and quantum mechanics are inherently "Jewish", does that imply that non-Jews necessarily have an inferior understanding of these fields?

To take a Christian example, Johann Sebastian Bach is noted for working Christian themes into his compositions. Does this make Christianity the "driving force" of his efforts, to the extent that we can confidently claim that if Bach had been raised as a Muslim or a Taoist that he'd have been tone deaf and had no interest in musical composition? Or is genius its own "driving force" that compels creative effort regardless of context?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Secular democracy; questioning of religious norms and institutions; secular bills of rights; freedom for all of all religions and none. I am a Christian but can still appreciate all those things

Me too - I can honestly, ie not flippantly, say 'Thank God for atheists.'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I echo that, I see some individual atheists as invaluable to me.

And as others have said, secularism is a powerhouse of ideas and values, isn't it? OK, secularism and atheism are not the same, but they both represent a separation from religion, which has been often positive.

Nobody wants to live in a theocracy today, do they, except the nutters?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Fabricated evidence? Really? Could you give some examples where evidence has been fabricated (as opposed to being interpreted in a different way).

Poor choice of word. I meant the questions we ask define the answers we get.

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:

Getting rid of the crap that prevents us focussing on what is actually important; this world, this universe, and our fellow human beings. We aren't praying to cure diseases any more, wasting our time and actively making those being prayed for edgier. We're curing diseases.

quote:
Secular democracy; questioning of religious norms and institutions; secular bills of rights; freedom for all of all religions and none.

Both Justinian and Jade Constable are under the false assumption that such things as they purport come from atheism. They do not. A big part of the development of understanding our world and diseases came from educated priests that were amazed at the glory that the Lord had created and sought to examine it. The Catholic priest that formulated the big bang theory is but one example.

Toleration of other religions came from Christians (the Whigs in England e.g. Catholic emancipation, inclusion of Dissenters etc). Twas not an atheist phenomenon.

The abolition of slavery, better lower class working conditions, woman's suffrage etc etc in terms of better social conditions were also areas Christians either began or were heavily involved in.

You're both being heavily anachronistic.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
you aren't pouring your energy into building ridiculously ornate churches, and into PCC meetings).

Would the world really be a better place without "ridiculously" ornate churches?

(I think we can agree on PCC meetings!)

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The abolition of slavery... Christians either began or were heavily involved in.
Indeed. It only took about 18 centuries for Christianity to decide it was not very nice. And even then there were Bible quoting Christians on the other side.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A big part of the development of understanding our world and diseases came from educated priests that were amazed at the glory that the Lord had created and sought to examine it. The Catholic priest that formulated the big bang theory is but one example.

I'm not convinced this is a defining criterion. Are you arguing that Big Bang cosmology would be significantly different if someone like Edwin Hubble (a not particularly devout, only nominally Christian layman) had managed to publish his results before Georges Lemaître's much less well supported speculations? How does a Catholic Big Bang differ from a Protestant one? Or a Jewish one?

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that we have the usual painting of groups as homogeneous "thems".

Some evangelicals are extremely helpful to the poor and disenfranchised; others are opposed to helping the poor at all, because "it is all their fault anyway".

Some Jews do science; some Jews do not. Some Christians do science; some do not. Some Christians are literalists; some (most) are not.

Similarly, some atheists are combative anti-religionists; some just don't see why people make a fuss about something the atheists don't actually believe in.

I find it difficult to see why Christians get so heated about the general run of atheists. It may be one thing to attempt to convert an atheist to your POV, but he is under no obligation to believe what you do. Also, that atheist has a right not to be harassed by you into whatever belief you may have.

Getting upset about someone's differing belief is your problem, not that other person's. get over it.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

In case it's not obvious, I'm describing Edwin Hubble as a "layman" in the ecclesiastical sense, not as an astronomer.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
How does a Catholic Big Bang differ from a Protestant one? Or a Jewish one?

Catholic Big Bangs don't involve artificial contraception.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
quote:
The abolition of slavery... Christians either began or were heavily involved in.
Indeed. It only took about 18 centuries for Christianity to decide it was not very nice. And even then there were Bible quoting Christians on the other side.
Irrelevant. Point was they were social justice progressives. Which some above seem to believe is the province of Atheism. Bullshit.

quote:
quote:
A big part of the development of understanding our world and diseases came from educated priests that were amazed at the glory that the Lord had created and sought to examine it. The Catholic priest that formulated the big bang theory is but one example.

I'm not convinced this is a defining criterion. Are you arguing that Big Bang cosmology would be significantly different if someone like Edwin Hubble (a not particularly devout, only nominally Christian layman) had managed to publish his results before Georges Lemaître's much less well supported speculations? How does a Catholic Big Bang differ from a Protestant one? Or a Jewish one?
The point was (again - contra much of the historical ignorance spouted above) that clergy and theists were a big part of the scientific revolution.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

I find it difficult to see why Christians get so heated about the general run of atheists. It may be one thing to attempt to convert an atheist to your POV, but he is under no obligation to believe what you do. Also, that atheist has a right not to be harassed by you into whatever belief you may have.

Getting upset about someone's differing belief is your problem, not that other person's. get over it.

I don't get upset about differing beliefs. I get upset when what people spout in the name of their God (Atheism) is just such historical bullshit.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong - I'm not under the impression that the things I mentioned are exclusively atheist phenomenons, however many atheists have contributed to them. Yes, the abolitionist movement in England was largely Christian-based, but most things were then - including the anti-abolitionist movement!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

Well, that's true now. One of the things that makes it hard to assess the historical contributions of atheists is that if you go far enough back into the past the penalties for openly expressing such ideas could be quite severe.

quote:
The study of what was going on with atheism before the mid-seventeenth century is not, and cannot be, the study of actual atheists. There are none for us to study. There may have been some, there may not, but in a period when saying “I think there is no God” led pretty directly to arrest and execution, no one said it. No one wrote it. If anyone thought it, not even private letters can confirm.

<snip>

I often compare late seventeenth- and eighteenth-century atheism to late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century homosexuality: there were circles in which one could let it be an open secret that one was an [atheist/homosexual] and it would be okay so long as one didn’t ruffle too many feathers or say anything in public or in front of civic authorities. One was always at risk of prosecution, and if one wanted to be safe and respected one kept it carefully hidden (as Diderot hid his atheist works), but there was enough sympathy within the apparatus of power that one could write of one’s [atheism/homosexuality] in private letters, and even hint at it in public works, and more often than not be safe. The pre-seventeenth-century atheist enjoyed no such safety, so not even in Renaissance private correspondence (where talk of homosexuality is quite commonplace) do we see even the most timid hand raised when the historian calls back: “Is anybody there an atheist? Anybody? Machiavelli?”

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Science does seem to be rather good at discovering cures for diseases, building better devices for easing labor, predicting possible disasters, helping us find out what is (how big is the universe, how old, why the diversity of life, etc).

All very true, but what has this to do with atheism? There are several scientists aboard this very Ship who profess Christianity (and others no doubt who do not). Science, as an endeavor, seeks to pose and answer questions on the basis of specific kinds of evidence. Atheism isn’t an endeavor at all (except for that group of atheists who seek converts to their view).

quote:
Science alone isn't a life stance.

Not precisely sure what you mean by a “life stance,” but I suspect there are scientists for whom their work does pretty much dominate their lives. That’s probably not a universal trait among the Tribe of Scientists, though. In addition, "life stances" can undergo startling reversals over time, which rather begs the question of this whole "life stance" idea.

quote:
quote:
. . . specifically what atheism as a philosophy, as a belief-system, as a principle has actually done that is positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world. I don't mean individual atheists, but atheism as a driving force - as opposed to Christianity as a driving force.

This last bit seems incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to parse. How do you separate individual accomplishment from underlying philosophy? For example, are most of the great strides made in physics in the early twentieth century really "Jüdische Physik", as a certain political movement would have it? Or can we conclude that the relatively non-observant status of many of the scientists involved means that the "driving force" was something else? And if general relativity and quantum mechanics are inherently "Jewish", does that imply that non-Jews necessarily have an inferior understanding of these fields?

To take a Christian example, Johann Sebastian Bach is noted for working Christian themes into his compositions. Does this make Christianity the "driving force" of his efforts, to the extent that we can confidently claim that if Bach had been raised as a Muslim or a Taoist that he'd have been tone deaf and had no interest in musical composition? Or is genius its own "driving force" that compels creative effort regardless of context?

I wonder how JS Bach managed “working Christian themes into his compositions.” How are musical notes (especially those for the organ or other instruments) arranged so that they’re recognizable as distinctively Christian as opposed to, say, atheist, or Islamic, or Jewish?

I grant you that, where lyrics were involved, these generally adhere to Christian themes, but did Bach compose the lyrics to “Unto Us a Child is Born” and other cantatas? Bach worked for a number of dukes and princes; he was also employed at more than one church. At a time when royalty were still widely believed (in Christianity) to receive their authority from God, and when celebrating major church festivals was a political as well as religious obligation among said dukes and princes, and the separation of church and state was about as deep and sturdy as the meniscus on a drop of summer dew, I’m not sure how much we can assume about the depth and fervor of Bach’s religious (as opposed to purely musical) passions. It’s just as likely that he simply needed to fulfill his contractual commitments to his various employers. Church bosses, after all, were hardly likely to authorize his composition of tavern ditties, and the frequency and elaboration of church calendar observations at the time might well have precluded his composition of much secular entertainment for his more worldly bosses.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:

I think what Evensong's idea could be restated slightly. The initial premise of scientific thought is that the laws of the universe are both consistent and can be understood rationally. For many theists this premise was supported by the belief that the Universe was created by a Good, rational God who had created beings in his own image and who therefore could follow in his footsteps and discover things about the universe which he had created.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Evensong - I'm not under the impression that the things I mentioned are exclusively atheist phenomenons, however many atheists have contributed to them. Yes, the abolitionist movement in England was largely Christian-based, but most things were then - including the anti-abolitionist movement!

Well why mention your points then? This is a thread about the contribution of atheism to society.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

All very true, but what has this to do with atheism? There are several scientists aboard this very Ship who profess Christianity (and others no doubt who do not). Science, as an endeavor, seeks to pose and answer questions on the basis of specific kinds of evidence. Atheism isn’t an endeavor at all (except for that group of atheists who seek converts to their view).
Well said.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

The point was (again - contra much of the historical ignorance spouted above) that clergy and theists were a big part of the scientific revolution.
But this side-steps the assertion in the OP, which was that Christianity in particular was the "driving force" behind all that is "positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world". Working from your specific example, does Lemaître's devotion to his god make his work on the Big Bang more insightful than that of not-particularly-devout formulators like Edwin Hubble or Alexander Friedmann?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the idea of atheism as a driving force peculiar in any case, since atheism consists of a lack of belief in God. How can a lack of something be a driving force? Everybody knows now the analogy with not collecting stamps, and how the non-stamp collectors have never really set the world on fire in terms of not collecting stamps, although they may have set the world on fire in other ways.

Anyway, an example of an atheist producing beauty - Albert Camus - 'when I look at my life, and its secret colours, I feel like bursting into tears'.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ISTM that we have the usual painting of groups as homogeneous "thems".

Some evangelicals are extremely helpful to the poor and disenfranchised; others are opposed to helping the poor at all, because "it is all their fault anyway".

Some Jews do science; some Jews do not. Some Christians do science; some do not. Some Christians are literalists; some (most) are not.

Similarly, some atheists are combative anti-religionists; some just don't see why people make a fuss about something the atheists don't actually believe in.

It's not so much that we (Christians) are getting upset about others' (atheists') differing belief, it's a matter of high profile cultural icons - Tatchell (has he been investigated yet?), Dawkins, Minchin, Toynbee, etc, etc, who openly and with hostile intent, try to diminish the presence and validity of Christian faith and culture within British society.

People can believe what they like but when the atheist voice starts to demand the removal of the Christian voice it all starts to sound a little sinister to me.

The other issue, regarding the Christian contribution to society vs the atheist contribution to society is simply this: Christian faith has been the driving force behind so much in this world - education, healthcare, the sciences, art and architecture, music and literature. Even politics - the Labour movement, which for example, has its founding roots in Methodism.

I would love to see what atheisjm might do, it having no driving force and being merely a protest voice against belief and in favour of nothing other than self-contained individualism. Atheism cannot even form communities; how can it benefit a whole society?

[ 21. April 2014, 16:04: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
How can a lack of something be a driving force?

A lack of a god IS a powerful force because it can involve s struggle to liberate all those who have been oppressed hy religion - gays who have been persecuted, women who want an abortion and have been told it was sinful, people in severe pain who want assisted suicide, those unmarried mothers in Ireland who had their babies stolen from them by nuns etc.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

People can believe what they like but when the atheist voice starts to demand the removal of the Christian voice it all starts to sound a little sinister to me.

The removal of the Christian voice? Can you give concrete examples? There have been calls for the Lords Spiritual not to have the right to have automatic seats in the House of Lords, which I would agree with wholeheartedly seeing as it is woefully elitist and undemocratic, but I can't think of any other example. What I detect is a call for an even playing field where views aren't automatically respected simply because they are religious (again, something I would agree with), but not a removal of the Christian voice.

I would love to see what atheism might do, it having no driving force and being merely a protest voice against belief and in favour of nothing other than self-contained individualism. Atheism cannot even form communities; how can it benefit a whole society?

Atheism isn't an 'it'. It's a belief held by people, and people have driving forces. From my conversations with atheists, I think they would list numerous 'driving forces'. Empathy, compassion, intellectual curiosity, awe in the face (against all the odds) of simply being conscious and capable of experiencing an amazing universe, love, a desire to grow in wisdom. Atheists feel all these things and are capable of communicating all of this to others, both in word and deed. Is compassion any less valuable because an atheist shows it rather than a Christian. Some might argue it means more since an atheist has no hope of reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.

Who says Atheism can't form communities? I find that statement quite astounding. I would like to see your evidence.

It seems to me that you have largely created a Atheist Straw man. Christians are the first to complain when Dawkins misrepresents their beliefs. It doesn't look any prettier the other way round.

[ 21. April 2014, 16:59: Message edited by: Yonatan ]

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

Who says Atheism can't form communities? I find that statement quite astounding. I would like to see your evidence.

And where are they?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

Well why mention your points then? This is a thread about the contribution of atheism to society.
Um, because atheism contributed to those things? They weren't the entire driving force behind them, but neither was Christianity. Atheism still contributed to them.

--------------------

que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... it's a matter of high profile cultural icons - Tatchell (has he been investigated yet?), Dawkins, Minchin, Toynbee, etc, etc, who openly and with hostile intent, try to diminish the presence and validity of Christian faith and culture within British society.

There is nothing to stop Christians becoming "high profile cultural icons" and emphasising the "presence and validity of Christian faith and culture within British society". Why aren't they out there? It's no good saying it's all down to a biased media - if you attracted big audiences, the media would flock to your door.

quote:
Atheism cannot even form communities; how can it benefit a whole society?
I live in a rather friendly community, a mixture of people with many different religious beliefs (mostly of the new age variety) and some with none. We get along, help each other out, swap/share, keep a communal eye on the kids. It's not rocket science. You don't need religion to form communities, just ordinary people.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:

And where are they?
Like I said, I would like to see your evidence. Communities exist everywhere. In families, the workplace, Buddhist monasteries, some Quaker Meeting Houses are at least partially made up of atheists, social clubs, the Sunday Assembly. Surely community is made up of people existing and sharing their lives, hopes, successes, failures together - supporting each other.
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would love to see what atheisjm might do, it having no driving force and being merely a protest voice against belief and in favour of nothing other than self-contained individualism. Atheism cannot even form communities; how can it benefit a whole society?

But why should bands of atheists (for want of a better collective noun) get together and decide to do good based on their atheism? If it's defined as a lack of belief in God. Especially if the lack of belief in God isn't a big deal, as it isn't for any of the atheists I know.

"So, folks. Here we are today, non-believers in God. Let's make the world a better place. I think we should set up a food bank for the local poor."
"No, I think we should look to support the local school's gardening project."
"No, no, I think we should do some work to clear the canal of rubbish."
"No, no, no, I think we should be protesting to the government about their cuts to welfare."

[My imaginary band of atheists read the Guardian. [Biased] ]

So I characterise, but you see what I mean. People may want to do good things for society (and not all people do, at least not in the way that I might define it). They have limited time to do the things they want to do. Why on earth should they set up another group, based on a shared characteristic most of them don't care about, to do things which may or may not be relevant to their beliefs of lack of them, when there are perfectly good organisations already doing those things, which they can join?

I'm left handed. It's not something that makes it into conversation much, unless I'm discussing tin openers. Why would I form a group of left handed people to do Good Works?

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An additional thought following on from what Evensong was saying about science and churchmen. I'm no expert in the history of science, but could it be the case that, as well as or instead of God being the inspiration, the church-run institutions were where the money to conduct research was?

I'm thinking of the development of UCL in London http://www.ucl.ac.uk/about-ucl which I think was the first university which did not require students to declare a Christian faith. I could well be wrong about that though.

Laws, similarly. When the issue of Christian contribution was being shoutily debated on the Today programme, Evan Harris pointed out that of course laws were made by (at least nominal) Christians, as one wasn't allowed to be an MP if one were not a declared Christian.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to see what observing the Holiest Day in the Christian calendar inspires Christians to.
I am confused, though. The OP only speaks of Christians and Atheists. What of the rest of us? Oh, that's right, we Might As Well Be Atheists. Or is it nuanced? Are we shades of Evil?
I do hope so, I do not feel motivated to abuse the servants, raid the Exchequer or shove a gerbil somewhere naughty. But perhaps I could manage to kick a puppy. Well, perhaps nudge it gently with my foot whilst thinking naughty thoughts.
Hope this is not too flippant a response to the OP (cough) straw man (cough).

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

The OP is absurd, and also mean-spirited. What a poor reflection on Christian thinking!

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

Don't worry, as a Nontheist (apologies if I'm wrong about that), your ability find purpose and meaning in life and form meaningful communities is well and truly giggered! Consider yourself the enemy strawman, about to be set alight in the name of Christian love. [Biased]
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Well, who could cease to wonder at the marvels of Christian love, so expansive, so generous, so ready to meet and relate to others, especially those who are different in some way.

<Here is a big fucking sarcasm alert.>

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

You may not have realised why I wrote the OP: HERE

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
An additional thought following on from what Evensong was saying about science and churchmen. I'm no expert in the history of science, but could it be the case that, as well as or instead of God being the inspiration, the church-run institutions were where the money to conduct research was?

I'm thinking of the development of UCL in London http://www.ucl.ac.uk/about-ucl which I think was the first university which did not require students to declare a Christian faith. I could well be wrong about that though.

Laws, similarly. When the issue of Christian contribution was being shoutily debated on the Today programme, Evan Harris pointed out that of course laws were made by (at least nominal) Christians, as one wasn't allowed to be an MP if one were not a declared Christian.

I think Bentham was an atheist, wasn't he? He was certainly critical of many established views and traditions, and advocated the decriminalization of homosexuality, and called natural law 'nonsense on stilts'. I was at UCL for quite a while - have you seen his body there? He didn't actually found it, but supported it, partly because of its non-Christian beginnings.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:

Why wouldn't we? You explained it in your opening post.
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Threads like this tend to founder on a failure to distinguish those who are anti-religion (in some or all its forms) and those who just don't believe in God.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:

But I as a Christian agree with much of what the atheists and humanists are saying there. Do you think I am 'whining'? I see no whining, just a recognition that the UK is now largely non-religious.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:

But I as a Christian agree with much of what the atheists and humanists are saying there. Do you think I am 'whining'? I see no whining, just a recognition that the UK is now largely non-religious.
Exactly. If Christians want to either convert atheists or at the very least create empathy and a constructive dialogue, acknowledging when they have made a fair point is the very least that we can do. Anything else just comes across as churlish and arrogant because of the view that nothing valuable is being said.
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:

I think Bentham was an atheist, wasn't he? He was certainly critical of many established views and traditions, and advocated the decriminalization of homosexuality, and called natural law 'nonsense on stilts'. I was at UCL for quite a while - have you seen his body there? He didn't actually found it, but supported it, partly because of its non-Christian beginnings.
Yes I think he was. I can't now find evidence online to support the idea that UCL was the first university not to require students to be of Christian faith, but t'Wiki does state that it was set up as an alternative to the religious Oxford & Cambridge. And that there was significant opposition from the Church of England (among others) to its establishment, which prevented the institution getting its Royal Charter in order to allow them to award degrees.

I've never seen Bentham, no. But then I was a KCL student.... [Big Grin]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016