homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » atheism contribution (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: atheism contribution
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Svitlana - I am in the CoE because I'm an Anglican, not because I support the idea of a state church. I would very much support disestablishment, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Why do you support disestablishment? It's not like Anglicans are tyrants that don't let others worship as they wish.

If you support disestablishment, you lot will probably become as godless as our lot here in Australia that dispensed with disestablishment in the early 1800's.

Lord have mercy.

Because Establishment is inherently unfair (to even other Christians) and undemocratic, and the idea of a state church is Constantinian rather than Christian. And religion is a much bigger deal in Australia than in the UK so I'm not seeing what the problem is!

It's pretty rude to dismissively label your fellow Australians as 'godless'.

Edited to add that I'm not sure what me personally supporting disestablishment has to do with England becoming 'godless'. I'm not going to single-handedly make the CoE disestablish [Confused] It's very unlikely to happen anytime soon, most CoE Anglicans do not support it.

[ 23. April 2014, 13:48: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Svitlana - I am in the CoE because I'm an Anglican, not because I support the idea of a state church. I would very much support disestablishment, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Perhaps the big upcoming 'atheist contribution' will be to sort this out!
I very much doubt it. The biggest obstacle to disestablishment is the government not being bothered enough about it to do it, and I'm not sure I blame them - disestablishment would take a long time, rewriting lots of laws and statutes, taking up lots of legislative time and money. While I do support disestablishment, it's so unlikely to happen for the above reasons that it's not a hill I'm going to die on. But put it this way - if TEC separated from the Anglican Communion and planted churches in the UK, I'd join in a heartbeat. Until that happens, I'm staying in the CoE, Established or not.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think of atheism as a "lack of belief, " as mentioned upthread: rather, as a belief that there is no God. This may be based on anything from people not being exposed to credible evidence to the contrary (or over-exposure to those who call themselves Christians) - to a rather optimistic assessment of the sum total of human knowledge....perhaps underpinned by some of the more speculative scientific theories. But I would still say atheism is a belief-system.

However, it is not a belief-system which anyone could reasonably describe as strongly motivational....much less, inspirational. It would seem, therefore, to be a little unfair to expect it to contribute much in the way of positive change, in the manner a belief in God can (or at least, should).

But the fact is, individual atheists frequently make very positive contributions - and some demonstrate a 'nobility of spirit' which puts those of us who have inspirational beliefs, to shame. As a Christian, I am far more concerned why my faith - which should be the ultimate motivation - has failed to change the world, than I am with comparing my input to that of those who don't have my advantages.

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:

But the fact is, individual atheists frequently make very positive contributions - and some demonstrate a 'nobility of spirit' which puts those of us who have inspirational beliefs, to shame. As a Christian, I am far more concerned why my faith - which should be the ultimate motivation - has failed to change the world, than I am with comparing my input to that of those who don't have my advantages.

I have been trying to compose my answer to the OP - you have put it in a nutshell here.

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade Constable:

Well, if no one's sufficiently offended by the 'Christian country' discourse to go to the trouble of disestablishing the CofE then Mudfrog really doesn't have too much to worry about.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless I am wrong, a greater percentage of people in the U.S. go to church regularly than in Britain, but we have no established church. So if Britons disestablish and stop going to church I suspect that not going to church is more likely cause the disestablishment rather than vis versa!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely, nobody can deny that there has been a 'turn away from God' historically, and this led, amongst other things, to science. Go back to the comment by Laplace, 'we have no need for that hypothesis', and this symbolically marks a turning point in European thought, away from theism.

This does not mean that science is atheistic, but (as Laplace comments), it has no need of God in its methods. This was shown vividly, after Newton had invoked God to explain some anomalies in planetary orbits, since Laplace showed a mathematical solution, sans God.

So this is not strictly speaking, a contribution by atheism, but it is a contribution by disciplines which leave God on one side.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Surely, nobody can deny that there has been a 'turn away from God' historically, and this led, amongst other things, to science.

Surely the reverse? Science does not preclude deity, but neither does it need it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Surely, nobody can deny that there has been a 'turn away from God' historically, and this led, amongst other things, to science.

Surely the reverse? Science does not preclude deity, but neither does it need it.
I don't get your 'reverse'. Science shows a turn towards naturalism, away from theism; hence Laplace's comment to Napoleon.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't get your 'reverse'. Science shows a turn towards naturalism, away from theism; hence Laplace's comment to Napoleon.
Yes - but the turn to modern mathematical natural philosophy based on observation of experiments historically precedes the rise of atheism. Laplace was after Newton.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. Because science does not require God people began to require God less often.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Another aspect of the turn away from God can be seen in art. As John Berger used to say rather waspishly, artists in the 18th century began to paint the frumpish wives and ugly children of their bourgeois patrons. In other words, the bourgeoisie wanted an image of itself. See for example, the famous 'Mr and Mrs Andrews', which is also a landscape painting, (and sometimes seen as very erotic!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thomas_Gainsborough_-_Mr_and_Mrs_Andrews.jpg

Again, this is not atheistic, since the same bourgeois no doubt went to church, but it shows a mighty shift in sensibility, towards the secular.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just don't see 'atheism is a lack' as a rhetorical move. I've known quite a lot of atheists in my life, partly because my whole family are, and I can't see that they have anything in common.

As I tried to say, it's innocuous on its own.(*) Where it becomes problematic is when it's treated as a sufficient description of anyone's beliefs (whether by theists a la Mudfrog or by atheists). Or when it's used ambiguously to also mean 'secular humanism with a rationalist bent'. Or when it's used to imply that religious belief is secular humanism with extra irrational beliefs added. Or that babies are by definition atheists (and therefore adult secular humanists are appropriate spokespersons for the children of religious believers). Etc etc.

(*) I disagree with the idea that beliefs are the kinds of entities that can be lacked. I think it's a misleading metaphor for our psychology. But that point is probably too subtle for a bulletin board.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
All 'lacks of belief' are per se exactly equivalent if you exclude consideration of any positive philosophy. You can't tell the difference between a 'lack of belief' in little grey aliens abducting people and a 'lack of belief' in astrology if you exclude consideration of positive beliefs in little grey aliens or astrology. If somebody 'lacks belief' in both little grey men and in astrology you can't ascribe any actions they take to one lack or the other.
For all X, a lack of belief in X cannot make contributions.

Rubbish. Do you believe in the tooth fairy? No? Does this "lack of" obviate your belief in, say, democracy as a form of governance? Does it prevent your following the Golden Rule? Does it interfere with your writing poetry praising the trinity, painting pictures to express your joy in the resurrection, etc.? What I'm taking exception to is your characterization of atheism as a philosophy.
As I don't think 'atheism' is the name of a philosophy I think I must be being unclear.
Also, none of the above is in any way relevant to anything I've been saying.

quote:
However, it is perfectly possible for any random atheist to develop and adhere to some alternative philosophy, and make positive contributions to his/her community or to culture on that basis. I don't claim that said contribution is on the basis of his/her atheism. It's simply that belief in supernatural divinity is not relevant to that individual's belief system (assuming s/he has one).
Yes. I agree.
As you said, "a human who lacks all belief is probably either fictitious or profoundly mentally or emotionally disabled."
OK - can we agree that we agree on that?
What I think and am trying to say is that 'atheism is a lack of belief' is not on its own a sufficient contribution to the debate. It's not a sufficient reaction to the nonsense Mudfrog was putting out. The mere denial of nonsense is also nonsense. And frankly I've seen too many atheists use 'atheism is the lack of belief in God' as the basis for fallacious arguments to not challenge it.

quote:
I think it's just as likely that Bach's contributions to music are due solely to his passion for music as they are due to any religious feelings he might have had; that his cantatas contain lyrics with religious themes could be due entirely to that fact that his employers included the church and/or people with obligatory relationships to the church.
This is probably untrue in the case of Bach, based on our biographical knowledge, but the general point might be true. The general argument is beyond the scope of this subthread.

--------------------

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been a most interesting and revelatory thread. ISTM we are talking about how ones positions on religious or non-religious beliefs affect the community; both the temporal and the profane. In particular, I mean this SOF community where we seem to be able to "get along together" without schism or rancor (unless admonished by our god-administrator).

The key to getting along is, according to Johnathan Haidt. empathy; the willingness to walk in the other person's shoes and allow that person be themselves and to recognize their values as "good for them".

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am no friend of atheism by any stretch of the imagination, but I do accept that atheists can act as a corrective to certain powerful delusions propagated by the religious.

For example, the idea of divine right, in which a nation pursues a foreign policy based on a belief in the incontestable rightness of its own position, rooted in divine blessing. Such a position is not susceptible to any rational analysis or correction, and atheists are right to deplore and challenge such a stance and urge us all to submit to the authority of reason.

I think that all religious and spiritual claims need to be challenged (as do the claims of atheism, of course), and therefore a constituency of sceptics within a nation can at times be a positive force (as long as those sceptics are prepared to play fair and allow their own position to be scrutinised).

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
On a day when UK atheists are whining about David Cameron calling this a Christian country I would like to ask, specifically what atheism as a philosophy, as a belief-system, as a principle has actually done that is positive, good, productive and beneficial in and for this world. I don't mean individual atheists, but atheism as a driving force - as opposed to Christianity as a driving force. What is atheism actually FOR? What has it inspired? What cultural progress has been made in the name of atheism? What sacrifices have been made, what beauty has been created, what energy has been released where atheism has been credited as the driving force?

What is Atheism for?

Getting rid of the crap that prevents us focussing on what is actually important; this world, this universe, and our fellow human beings. We aren't praying to cure diseases any more, wasting our time and actively making those being prayed for edgier. We're curing diseases.

What energy has been released? Enough energy to create genuinely secular documents like The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Once you've got the invisible pink unicorn out of the way you can start worrying about things that are actually important. Most atheists don't ultimately care about the difference between atheism, secularism, and deism - just that we can get on with making this world a better one. Or that we can get on with looting this world (I'm not claiming that being an Atheist makes you a good person - merely that it means that you aren't pouring your energy into building ridiculously ornate churches, and into PCC meetings).

Amen to that.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, not just David Cameron after all...

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sigh. I'm completely happy with Nick Clegg's description of the UK as a country that is 'founded on Christian values', but a 'Christian country'? No thank you. I'm not so fussed with a non-theologian like David Cameron using the phrase, but it alarms me to see it used by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Sigh. I'm completely happy with Nick Clegg's description of the UK as a country that is 'founded on Christian values', but a 'Christian country'? No thank you. I'm not so fussed with a non-theologian like David Cameron using the phrase, but it alarms me to see it used by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
It's meaningless, isn't it? Or it's people speaking in an echo-chamber, and listening to each other's echo. I suppose it might have a nasty edge, if used by some people. Yawn.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or, as the article might have been titled, "Head of Official Government Christian Sect Endorses Government Claims of Christian Supremacy". This seems like a "dog bites man" story.

[ 24. April 2014, 14:46: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look forward to the day that Welby says something you agree with and you then herald him as your spokesman.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So when the Christian majority you're so fond of citing drops below 50% is it first past the post?
Do you simply not count non-believers or have to form coalitions with the other Abrahamic religions in order to be the national religion?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
So when the Christian majority you're so fond of citing drops below 50% is it first past the post?
Do you simply not count non-believers or have to form coalitions with the other Abrahamic religions in order to be the national religion?

No, and neither do I believe that if that happens we will suddenly get rid of all Gothic architecture, the Huddersfield Choral Society will stop singing The Messiah, the Bible will be removed from the witness stand, all hospital chapels will be closed, the future monarch will be crowned by the PM in the Royal Albert Hall, Easter and Christmas will be cancelled, any places names with the abbreviation 'St' in front of it will have those letters removed, and the National Anthem will be scrapped in favour of 'There'll always be an England.' A Christian countyry is what we are and have by virtue of history, custom, identity, values, laws and traditions.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So England is still a pagan nation while Stonehenge still stands, and many of the rivers and towns have names used before Christians arrived?

It's one thing to claim there's a national Christian heritage. It's another to claim that "The nation is Christian".

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
.... and the National Anthem will be scrapped in favour of 'There'll always be an England.' ...

A lot of us atheists, would prefer "Jerusalem" - and not just the ones in the WI.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

- Posted      Profile for Flubb     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
quote:
The abolition of slavery... Christians either began or were heavily involved in.
Indeed. It only took about 18 centuries for Christianity to decide it was not very nice. And even then there were Bible quoting Christians on the other side.
Not really. Paul's letters create the uncomfortable situation of masters being forced to recognise their slaves as equals (you can argue with Sarah Ruden's Paul among the People who extends that setting). Robin Fox's Pagans and Christians points out that Christians regularly freed slaves in church and in front of the bishop. Melania, Ovidius, Chromatius, Hermes and many other Christian bishops emancipated thousands of slaves as "an act of piety" (Lecky). Constantine for all his faults, issued the death penalty for those who kidnapped children to bring up as slaves.

Lactantius argued from a theological perspective that there were no slaves in God's eyes, Chrysostom preached that Christ came to annul slavery, and suggessted that not only was it not necessary to have slaves, but you should buy them, teach them a skill by which they could earn a living, and then set them free. Gregory of Nyssa called for abolition in his Fourth Homily on Ecclesiastes denouncing both ownership and the institution of slavery. Augustine said it was a product of sin and contrary to God's divine plan.
Pope Callixtus I was an ex-slave.

That's all by the 5th century. It was pretty much seen as bad thing from the start.

[ 25. April 2014, 21:31: Message edited by: Flubb ]

--------------------
In cyberspace everyone can hear your spleen...

Posts: 234 | From: St. Androos | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
quote:
.... and the National Anthem will be scrapped in favour of 'There'll always be an England.' ...

A lot of us atheists, would prefer "Jerusalem" - and not just the ones in the WI.
Jerusalem? Seriously?
The poem that reflects on a possible visit by Jesus to England and the idea that the Kingdom of God, the New Jerusalem of the Book of Revelation, can be built in England's green & pleasant land?

I specifically chose There'll always be an England because of its non-religious theme.

But, ah well, if you want to believe Christian aspirations as part of your atheist dream, so be it. Welcome to the yearning we have for God's Kingdom to come on earth as it is in Heaven. [Biased]

[ 26. April 2014, 07:26: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flubb:
quote:
quote:
The abolition of slavery... Christians either began or were heavily involved in.
Indeed. It only took about 18 centuries for Christianity to decide it was not very nice. And even then there were Bible quoting Christians on the other side.
Not really. Paul's letters create the uncomfortable situation of masters being forced to recognise their slaves as equals (you can argue with Sarah Ruden's Paul among the People who extends that setting). Robin Fox's Pagans and Christians points out that Christians regularly freed slaves in church and in front of the bishop. Melania, Ovidius, Chromatius, Hermes and many other Christian bishops emancipated thousands of slaves as "an act of piety" (Lecky). Constantine for all his faults, issued the death penalty for those who kidnapped children to bring up as slaves.

Lactantius argued from a theological perspective that there were no slaves in God's eyes, Chrysostom preached that Christ came to annul slavery, and suggessted that not only was it not necessary to have slaves, but you should buy them, teach them a skill by which they could earn a living, and then set them free. Gregory of Nyssa called for abolition in his Fourth Homily on Ecclesiastes denouncing both ownership and the institution of slavery. Augustine said it was a product of sin and contrary to God's divine plan.
Pope Callixtus I was an ex-slave.

That's all by the 5th century. It was pretty much seen as bad thing from the start.

[Overused] [Overused]

Who are you? You should post more often. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

And yet, by the late 6th century, we have another pope making
disturbing puns about slaves, rather than expressing outrage. And remind me what religion was ascribed to by the majority of the European beneficiaries of the Triangle trade.
Yes, by the end of the 11th century, England finally got around to banning it in England. But kept serfdom. Yay progress?

[ 26. April 2014, 15:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What lilBuddha said.

The thing about claiming Western Civilisation for Jesus is that the empires, the slave trade, the subjugation of women, serfdom and a whole lot more besides go hand in hand with the music, the holidays and the cathedrals.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

- Posted      Profile for Flubb     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And yet, by the late 6th century, we have another pope making
disturbing puns about slaves, rather than expressing outrage. And remind me what religion was ascribed to by the majority of the European beneficiaries of the Triangle trade.
Yes, by the end of the 11th century, England finally got around to banning it in England. But kept serfdom. Yay progress?

Actually, the earliest manuscript of that story (c.713) simply has the fair-haired as visitors to Rome, as you can read in the link above. It's Bede, (probably) relying on this manuscript, who turns them into slaves (chapter 1) (c. 731), so it's not a valid point. What you really wanted to do was to talk about how Gregory wasn't an abolitionist and argued that while technically equal, God had made some subject to others by a secret dispensation (dispensatio oculta), and that slavery was punitive and providential, echoing Augustine - that would have been your best shot, but then Gregory's main concern was how to maintain the best peace to save souls, a problem that was raised by every abolitionist, as the sudden release of slaves into society was considered to be dangerous.

The context of my post is Grokesx's point was that it took 18 centuries for Christians to get bothered about slavery, and I've pointed out that this patently isn't true - it can be attested from Paul's writings from the mid 1st century and can be externally confirmed from outside sources by the 2nd century. Manumission was heavily encouraged by the Anglo-Saxon bishops from the 7th century, Bishop Wilfred freeing 250 slaves on his land at Selsey. Wulfstan blamed Cnut's reign (a foreign king) on the fact that the British kept engaging in the slave trade, despite St. Patrick's exhortation the previous century to stop it. That's fairly clear. You appear to want the church to enforce anti-slavery, but I'm unaware of any mechanism that it could so with, especially given the fractured nature of Europe all the way to the 13th century. The 11th century Council of London had no legislative powers - it was only the monarch who could have enforced it.

To conflate the Triangular slave trade with 11th century serfdom is a leap beyond historical justification because the status of theows and 17th-18th century slaves are completely different. Regardless of the assumed religion of the beneficiaries, for every Pope Paul III, there was a Bartolomé de las Casas, or Quaker, or Sommersett.

If you want to say that Christians are inconsistent, I’m all for that, but you can’t argue that Christianity has been pro-slavery. There are some Christians who are pro-slavery but there are some who are not. Everything else is moral presentism.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

If you want to say that Christians are inconsistent, I’m all for that, but you can’t argue that Christianity has been pro-slavery. There are some Christians who are pro-slavery but there are some who are not. Everything else is moral presentism.

I am not arguing that Christianity is pro-slavery. I am arguing against the Premise of the OP that Christianity is morally superior and that atheists, and presumably the rest of us heathens, have no positive contribution to society without scabbing onto Christian virtue.

As far as Christianity having no mechanism, seriously? Henry VIII divorced himself and the state for precisely that reason, that the church had far too much influence and control.
Did the barons and princes jump on the Protestant bandwagon through religious piety, No, they did so because it removed power from the church and placed it more directly in their own hands.
History is replete with thrones begging, forcing, bribing, cajoling the Seat of Peter because it had power and influence.
If one cannot claim Christianity made no attempts against slavery, neither can one argue that they were a bastion against it.

[ 26. April 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The argument that anything is a bastion against badness is just foolish. Absolutely everything (including both christianity and atheism) has been pressed into service for the bad and downright evil. Anyone claiming the moral high ground has merely done inadequate research. Or, in some cases, may be in denial.

There is a more disturbing aspect to this discourse. This discussion has turned towards slavery. Yet right now there are at least 20 million people enslaved. Bear in mind that a substantial proportion of those provide us in the west with cut-price goods and services. If this discourse does not even address that fact, yet continues with finger-pointing at other ages, then there is only one conclusion to be drawn. That is that we of all all people are the rankest hypocrites. And frankly I couldn't give a flying fart whether the argument is made by a theist, a non-theist or an atheist.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If, as Mudfrog and all the other "We are a Christian country founded on Christian values blah blah" spouters are correct, then as I said above, there's some shit that comes with the glory. Mudfrog was trying to have it both ways - Christianity as a shaper of the nation as well as the forefront of social progress.

Maybe, just maybe, countries' values, politics and cultures are shaped by things other than a single religion.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

quote:
There is a more disturbing aspect to this discourse. This discussion has turned towards slavery. Yet right now there are at least 20 million people enslaved. Bear in mind that a substantial proportion of those provide us in the west with cut-price goods and services. If this discourse does not even address that fact, yet continues with finger-pointing at other ages, then there is only one conclusion to be drawn. That is that we of all all people are the rankest hypocrites
I think you are giving some wibbles on the internet a tad more importance than they deserve.

--------------------

Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

quote:

I am not arguing that Christianity is pro-slavery. I am arguing against the Premise of the OP that Christianity is morally superior and that atheists, and presumably the rest of us heathens, have no positive contribution to society without scabbing onto Christian virtue.

OP's initial question actually was "what has atheism done as a driving force?" To argue against that premise means that you need to prove that Christianity either isn't a driving force or if it is, hasn't done anything worthwhile. It might be slow, inconsistent, or haphazard, but slavery is one thing it attempted to eradicate twice, once during the mediaeval period, and once in the Victorian. A counter-argument should at least show the early mediaeval atheist movement shouting for abolition.

quote:
As far as Christianity having no mechanism, seriously? Henry VIII divorced himself and the state for precisely that reason, that the church had far too much influence and control.
Did the barons and princes jump on the Protestant bandwagon through religious piety, No, they did so because it removed power from the church and placed it more directly in their own hands.

Yes, as any undergraduate textbook on the medieval period will tell you, the RCC was no monolithic institution with complete power, and that the period was noted for the angling between Church, monarch, and nobility. It starts to solidify around the 13thC, (after slavery is essentially gone) but kings regularly challenged it all the way to and through the Reformation (cf Worms, the Constitutions of Clarendon, the Magna Carta, Henry III etc.,)

Henry VIII is a bad example, firstly because he's far too much of an enigmatic outlier as a personality, but more importantly for this argument, it shows that he obviously didn't care that much about the RCC if he's so willing to oppose it despite the threats of the Pope and the possible loss of his soul. The lack of legions of loyal faithful lining up to invade England, rather suggest that interest on the Continent wasn't very high in supporting Clement VII either.

It's impossible claim that all princes took up Protestantism purely because of financial or economic motives. Henry took good care to justify his position theologically even if he benefitted from the arrangement.

quote:

Maybe, just maybe, countries' values, politics and cultures are shaped by things other than a single religion.

If you can show that within the early mediaeval period, go ahead.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
OP's initial question actually was "what has atheism done as a driving force?"

Most of us appear to share the opinion that it is yet another strawman.
The Christians, the Christians, the Christians are Best,
I wouldn't give Tuppence for all of the Rest.

quote:
OP's initial question actually was "what has atheism done as a
To argue against that premise means that you need to prove that Christianity either isn't a driving force or if it is, hasn't done anything worthwhile.

Given the OP hasn't proved anything, why is their need to prove counterclaims?
quote:

monolithic complete power purely

Did not use any such terminology. Absolutes are rarely appropriate and erroneously assigning strengthens not your counter.
quote:

and that the period was noted for the angling between Church, monarch, and nobility. It starts to solidify around the 13thC, (after slavery is essentially gone) but kings regularly challenged it all the way to and through the Reformation (cf Worms, the Constitutions of Clarendon, the Magna Carta, Henry III etc.,)

How does this do aught but reiterate my contention that the church had power?

[code]

[ 28. April 2014, 16:04: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

quote:
It might be slow, inconsistent, or haphazard, but slavery is one thing it attempted to eradicate twice, once during the mediaeval period, and once in the Victorian.
Well, it certainly was slow and inconsistent.
Aquinas reckoned that servitude was not part of the primary intention of the natural law, but appropriate and socially useful in a world impaired by original sin. And as late as 1866 Pope Pius IX thought it was not against divine law for a slave to be sold, bought or exchanged.
quote:
A counter-argument should at least show the early mediaeval atheist movement shouting for abolition.
What medieval atheist movement?
quote:
If you can show that within the early mediaeval period, go ahead.
I don't know who's arguing that the whole of our national identity, culture, ethics and political thought formed in the early medieval period, so I'll go back a bit and name only one. Who put the Classical into Classical Theism? Small hint, they gave us our philosophy, lots of our maths, art, architecture and much more besides. As much if not more than Christianity ever did.

Edited the URL.

[ 28. April 2014, 22:23: Message edited by: Grokesx ]

--------------------

Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

quote:
Given the OP hasn't proved anything, why is their need to prove counterclaims?

OP has raised a discussion point on a discussion board. If you honestly think that Christians haven't done anything progressive in the last 2000 years, then there can be no further dialogue with such an ahistorical view.

quote:
Did not use any such terminology. Absolutes are rarely appropriate and erroneously assigning strengthens not your counter.
I think we need to recontextualise the discussion, because the goalposts keep shifting from what I was demonstrating. Grokesx raised a completely inaccurate point about Christians and slavery. I demonstrated that inaccuracy, and you jumped in with something about the 6th century (also wrong). I'm not sure why, because I wasn't saying that Christianity had decided abolished slavery by the 5thC, but simply that there was a wealth of anti-slavery or pro-manumission work done by Christians by the 5th century, and it wasn't something they had discovered in the Victorian period. I'm presuming, and please correct me if I've misread you, that you did this to show that Christianity was certainly contradictory and non-progressive, a reading which I justified by your subsequent segue into the Triangular slave trade, and then back to the 11th with England banning slavery, but keeping serfdom. I then pointed out that the church in England wasn't a monolithic institution with absolute power and therefore couldn't enforce anti-slavery notions if it had wanted to. You seem to think that it could, and then referenced something 400 years later. My point, which I feel that I'm repeating, is that the church didn't have the power that you think it did, something which is historically understood, but not popularly. England officially gets rid of the slave trade in the 11thC, but there is a clear process and tradition of manumission by the English church before then, which I pointed out earlier, and which is understood by Anglo-Saxon scholars. Even the concept of 'England' cannot arise until the late 9th century, and the ecclesiastical divisions mirror this.
As I've said before, Christians were not consistent in their condemnation or support of slavery or the slave-trade, but to say that they were never interested in either the abolition or the amelioration of slaves is ridiculous. To argue anything else is presentism.

quote:
How does this do aught but reiterate my contention that the church had power?

Your original statement was:
quote:
As far as Christianity having no mechanism, seriously?
I'm not denying the power aspect, what I am denying is that the church had complete power over everyone and therefore owned the mechanism by which they could have abolished slavery or the slave-trade. The pronouncements of a church are inconsequential if they cannot legislate them, which is the remit of secular authority, an authority which it did not control.

I'm not particularly interested in defending the OP's premise, but I am going to say something about shoddy history if it's going to waved about in the argument.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jerusalem? Seriously?
The poem that reflects on a possible visit by Jesus to England and the idea that the Kingdom of God, the New Jerusalem of the Book of Revelation, can be built in England's green & pleasant land?

Um, no. Half of Blake's hugely ironic poem was dripping with sarcasm and cynicism of English nationalism, and the other is an anti-ruling-class call for revolutionary change. Those who wish for the hymn to be used as national anthem are laughably missing the point.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

quote:

Well, it certainly was slow and inconsistent. Aquinas reckoned that servitude was not part of the primary intention of the natural law, but appropriate and socially useful in a world impaired by original sin. And as late as 1866 Pope Pius IX thought it was not against divine law for a slave to be sold, bought or exchanged.

Yet the first half of that sentence is
quote:
Between the 6th and 12th century there was a growing sentiment that slavery was not compatible with Christian conceptions of charity and justice; some argued against slavery
You don't even have to go to Aquinas in the 13thC, you can hit the 3rd-4thC for pro-slavery sentiments. Every scholarly work I've ever read on this is very clear, there is a discordant tradition in the Church, both East and West. It was certainly slow and inconsistent, however, it does eventually abolish it, and there is plenty of evidence along the way of individuals and societies who work towards that. Pius IX might have thought that it was alright in 1866, but he went against Pius II, Paul III, Urban VIII, Benedict XIV, Pius VII, Gregory XVI, and, (according to Maxwell who is liberally referred to in that article), the 13thC concept of slavery which the RCC still taught that was "no longer commonly accepted by all well-informed clergy and laity" (p108).

quote:
quote:
A counter-argument should at least show the early mediaeval atheist movement shouting for abolition.
What medieval atheist movement?
That's the point. The abolition of the slave trade (having roots in 1 Timothy 1:10, possibly the sole text that is absolutely clear) and slavery was entirely a Christian endeavour. There is no ANE abolition movement, no Greek or Roman anti-slavery movement etc., The modern abolition of the slave trade was essentially Christian in nature and action, even if some freethinkers also thought it wasn't a good idea.

quote:
I don't know who's arguing that the whole of our national identity, culture, ethics and political thought formed in the early medieval period,
This is a discussion ignited by the issue of anti/pro slavery, so we're looking at what forms the early mediaeval concept about that.

quote:
so I'll go back a bit and name only one. Who put the Classical into Classical Theism? Small hint, they gave us our philosophy, lots of our maths, art, architecture and much more besides. As much if not more than Christianity ever did.
Edited the URL.

Do you know who gave the theoretical justification and legislative framework for slavery into Classical Theism? Those very same people.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The abolition of the slave trade (having roots in 1 Timothy 1:10, possibly the sole text that is absolutely clear) and slavery was entirely a Christian endeavour.

The passage you cite isn't as "absolutely clear" as you argue. It doesn't argue against slave owning or slave trading, but slave-taking. Those three were regarded as different (though obviously inter-related) things in the ancient world. An eighteenth century example of a nation parsing this distinction is the U.S. Navy contributing ships to the efforts to suppress the African slave trade. This was despite the fact that at the time the U.S. was a slave owning and slave trading nation. Slave-taking was seen as wrong in a way not true of slavery generally.

--------------------

Flubb
Shipmate
# 918

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
The passage you cite isn't as "absolutely clear" as you argue. It doesn't argue against slave owning or slave trading, but slave-taking. Those three were regarded as different (though obviously inter-related) things in the ancient world. An eighteenth century example of a nation parsing this distinction is the U.S. Navy contributing ships to the efforts to suppress the African slave trade. This was despite the fact that at the time the U.S. was a slave owning and slave trading nation. Slave-taking was seen as wrong in a way not true of slavery generally.

By that I mean it's one of the few texts that is clear about slaves regardless (rather than being clear about abolition, that's just my poor wording). I did throw in a 'possibly' [Razz] but that would be more for the later years. I'm working on the assumption that the mediaeval church is relying on the Latin Vulgate on this(plagiariis), or kidnappers, but the most common pronouncement against slavery is usually about slave-trading, and that goes for both Continental and Anglo-Saxon rulings (cf the Third General Council of the Lateran).
Interestingly, there are a number of papal grants in the 15th century for slave-taking (mostly Saracens, hostiles, and non-Christians), and this extends into the 16th century for African slaves.

--------------------

Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

quote:
The modern abolition of the slave trade was essentially Christian in nature and action, even if some freethinkers also thought it wasn't a good idea.
Oh for crying out loud. If that's the case then the institution of slavery when it returned with a vengeance to Europe was essentially Christian as well. The people who practiced it were Christian, the Church didn't unambiguously condemn it - indeed that Pope Urban VIII you mention as being against it actually bought slaves for use in the Papal navy, I seem to recall, from the Knights of Malta who themselves kept at least a thousand for their own galleys, good Christians that they were. In pretty much all the Papal condemnations the concept of just and unjust slavery lurked.

And I really don't know what you're arguing here. If the thousand plus years of church influence couldn't prevent the rise the Atlantic slave trade, then it was either not much of an influence or else its attitude was a movable feast. My money's on the latter; it's there right in the Bible - in that passage in Timothy (which, incidentally, lumps in enslavers with liars, murderers, perjurers and the subject of a certain Dead Horse) and the exhortation, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters..."
quote:
Do you know who gave the theoretical justification and legislative framework for slavery into Classical Theism? Those very same people
And why would that affect what I'm saying? I'm not the one trying to draw a line between sugar and spice and all things nice on one side and snips and snails and puppy dog's tails on the other.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
I don't think of atheism as a "lack of belief, " as mentioned upthread: rather, as a belief that there is no God. Atheism is used to mean both an absence of belief and a disbelief in god(s). The common base line is the lack of belief - if you wish to define it to suit your preferences you, of course, can do so - but you leave yourself open to misunderstanding and ridicule. But I would still say atheism is a belief-system. And for some (sometimes referred to as antitheists to distinguish them from the rest of us) it may be, but it doesn't have to be and therefore extrapolations based upon that definition are somewhat akin to calling all christians "snake-handlers" just because some hold to a minority interpretation of Mark 16:18

As a Christian, I am far more concerned why my faith - which should be the ultimate motivation - has failed to change the world, than I am with comparing my input to that of those who don't have my advantages.
Sounding a bit Luke 18:11 ? though I have to admit that I once would have said something very similar - mea culpa

lilBuddha - Because science does not require God people began to require God less often

Science (in terms of experimentation) not only doesn't require god(s) it specifically excludes the supernatural

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

Science (in terms of experimentation) not only doesn't require god(s) it specifically excludes the supernatural

I'd quibble with this wording.

Doesn't "excluding" something imply it exists? You can't exclude something that isn't there in the first place. Rather, I'd say that science investigates the natural, along with theories and predictions arising from the natural.

After all, quite recently in human history, all kinds of natural phenomena we take completely for granted -- electric light or microwaves or cell phones -- would be seen by a resident of 14th-century Paris (should you somehow transport her and drop her into our midst) -- as supernatural, and probably not in a good way.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

I'd quibble with this wording.

Doesn't "excluding" something imply it exists? You can't exclude something that isn't there in the first place. Rather, I'd say that science investigates the natural, along with theories and predictions arising from the natural.

After all, quite recently in human history, all kinds of natural phenomena we take completely for granted -- electric light or microwaves or cell phones -- would be seen by a resident of 14th-century Paris (should you somehow transport her and drop her into our midst) -- as supernatural, and probably not in a good way.

You're probably right - I was thinking of - “My practice as a scientist is atheistic. That is to say, when I set up an experiment I assume that no god, angel or devil is going to interfere with its course; and this assumption has been justified by such success as I have achieved in my professional career. I should therefore be intellectually dishonest if I were not also atheistic in the affairs of the world.” population geneticist J. B. S. Haldane

[ 30. April 2014, 01:44: Message edited by: HughWillRidmee ]

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Interestingly, there are a number of papal grants in the 15th century for slave-taking (mostly Saracens, hostiles, and non-Christians), and this extends into the 16th century for African slaves.

But thankfully the Catholic Church hasn't kept slaves since 1996.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Fascinating quote from Haldane above. I don't think you can say that 'atheism led to science', but you can say that the turn away from God led to modern science, which ignores the supernatural completely.

But this maybe began in the medieval period, when some philosophers described 'secondary causes', which did not involve God. This seems to lead on to a naturalistic method.

But Haldane is also describing a philosophical naturalism/atheism, which no doubt many scientists accept. 'We have no need of that hypothesis'.

[ 30. April 2014, 08:47: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016