homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I'm crazy? Crazy like an Artist! aka Creativity and eccentricity

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: I'm crazy? Crazy like an Artist! aka Creativity and eccentricity
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've worked in fields creative, technical and mixed and am fascinated by the perceptions of people based on their perceived creativity. Personally, I've received both "Oh you artsy types, so wacky" and "Oh you technical types, so analytical" from the same people, depending on the situation. The point of observation seeming to be as important as the total of experience.
Whilst creativity an eccentricity can have a link, how much of behaviour accepted is because it is expected rather than inherent in one's personality?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd even go so far to say some creatives become more "eccentric" over time to embrace the stereotype. Is this just coming into themselves and rejecting conformity, or is it playacting being weird because they are living in a world where it's acceptable?

I'd say both, at least in my experience. Ditching the respectable job and jumping head first into the theater world certainly allowed me to stop playacting my conformity and come more into myself publicly. my public persona is now much more like what had previously only been seen by close family and the Ship. screw it, conformity is too much work. [Big Grin]

I do know people, however, who seem to use their involvement in the creative world as an excuse to behave badly. not just "eccentric" but instead selfish and mean. And for the most part they do get away with it because we really are a tolerant lot. Even more so, those outside of the creative world are tolerant because they think being a selfish dick is par for the course with creative types. IME, this doesn't coincide with any particular brilliance; some people bully their way into roles or shows or gallery openings rather than get there based on much artistic merit.

Some artists really can't help it, too. they ARE brilliant, but difficult to be around. those types (and I'd say they are actually pretty few) really don't understand how others don't see things their way. it's like they're predisposed to be myopic.

And all that being said, the most brilliant visual artist I know - and he does amazing work - is pretty ordinary as a person. nice guy, good to his wife, wears jeans and t-shirts, feeds the birds, walks his dog, and I've never seen him in a feather boa outside of a stage show.

I think the creative world is just more tolerant of the nutters, so we accept them and they have a place with us. I don't think you have to be a batshit loony to be brilliant.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes!

In my old publishing house I used to look with envy at the graphic designers. They used to get away with so much more shit* than we could, because they were "creatives" and we in editorial were allegedly linear thinkers. Yeah, right.

*"Shit" in both senses--wild clothes, desk accessories,** etc. which was cool; and bad shit, like being chronically behind schedule and expecting others to make it up for them.

**I rather suspect part of the reason I was canned was that I didn't fit the very conformist ethic of the unit I was in; I did things like having a collection of Christmas pickle ornaments hung on my cubicle wall. On particularly bad days I would consider hanging a pair of scissors next to them.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

**I rather suspect part of the reason I was canned was that I didn't fit the very conformist ethic of the unit I was in; I did things like having a collection of Christmas pickle ornaments hung on my cubicle wall. On particularly bad days I would consider hanging a pair of scissors next to them.

Ah, a bit more of the "chop" than the "lamb", then
[Devil]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think more people should be like artists and not give a fuck what people think. Many ( but not all )of the constraints people complain about are really self imposed. My husband is a PhD and he gets away with more eccentricity than I do (and I get away with a lot!).

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I think more people should be like artists and not give a fuck what people think. Many ( but not all )of the constraints people complain about are really self imposed. My husband is a PhD and he gets away with more eccentricity than I do (and I get away with a lot!).

John Ortberg writes that, for many of us, when we're in our 20s, we spend most of our time trying to please other people. When we're in our 30s, this starts to become draining, and we begin to resent others for it. In our 40s, we realize no one was paying that much attention to us anyway.

Maybe the artists get that just a bit sooner.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

I am not sure it is a matter of getting as much as it is not being able to completely control it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

I am not sure it is a matter of getting as much as it is not being able to completely control it.
What do you mean? How could you not control a realization-- you either get it or you don't. (i.e. that "no one is paying all that much attention")

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Poorly stated by me. I mean that there is no such early realisation for most.

I am odd. And have been called nearly every possible synonym for that. It was not until adulthood that I truly stopped worrying about what others thought and that most people were not paying attention regardless.
Could be that I am not creative enough, I suppose.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Ah, a bit more of the "chop" than the "lamb", then
[Devil]

This is why I love the Ship; you people understand me so well.
[Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think the artists do who give a fuck what people think. The rest of us don't. An artist is someone who believes they have something to say; and there's no point saying it if you know that no one is listening. Most "eccentricities" I've come across are attention seeking rather than anything else. (I'm not saying that artists don't have anything to say; I have a lot of respect for art, but less respect for attention seeking stunts that pass as "eccentricities".)

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
Most "eccentricities" I've come across are attention seeking rather than anything else. (I'm not saying that artists don't have anything to say; I have a lot of respect for art, but less respect for attention seeking stunts that pass as "eccentricities".)

perhaps you and I are seeing "eccentric" differently. Yes, there are a lot of "stunt" types, but IME damn few if any would qualify was truly eccentric.

a few characteristics of some true "eccentrics" that I personally know are as follows:
  • woman has a pet chicken that she makes clothes for and walks on a leash. it wears it's own custom made diapers. all organic cotton. of course.
  • man who built a wall of car tire rims around his 5 acre property because it's some sort of statement about something or other (I forget). he also built an addition onto his house stictly to house a very large painting he was working on. to see the whole painting you needed to be on the other side of his (small) house and standing on his bed. The addition was torn down to remove the painting.
  • relative who writes his books in ultramarathon fashion - meaning for something like 20 hours a day for two weeks or more. then collapses. doesn't eat anything but beans during this time. talks to mice.
  • grown man who has a basement "dungeon" where he watches horror movies and sleeps with a Chucky Doll. can also recite the entire script of Holy Grail, beginning to end. not for a performance. just 'cause. Same man: goes for walks to recite his lines for a show, but often forgets to dress first. so, walking down the road in bathrobe talking to himself. has no idea he isn't dressed. He cried when I dressed as Elvira for halloween.
  • grown (ish) man who owns no bed, but sleeps under the cushions of his couch because then he doesn't have nightmares.
  • man who made a woodstove to look like a rocketship the same winter he built motors for his children's bicycles. Keeps a recliner on skiis in his yard all winter for sledding adventures. also built his house so that his wife had room to hula hoop indoors for the winter. and while they have no indoor plumbing, beer comes out of the kitchen tap.
  • man who shingled his entire (bizarre) house with old CDs. when the sun is out that dang thing is a hazard. but you'll never miss it!

those are a few, and none of them of the attention-getting variety. there are those, too, of course. but when someone is trying to pull a "stunt" that doesn't mean they're eccentric, it means they want attention.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think the artists do who give a fuck what people think. The rest of us don't. An artist is someone who believes they have something to say; and there's no point saying it if you know that no one is listening. Most "eccentricities" I've come across are attention seeking rather than anything else. (I'm not saying that artists don't have anything to say; I have a lot of respect for art, but less respect for attention seeking stunts that pass as "eccentricities".)
I have been a professional artist for almost 30 years and I'll have to disagree. I live in Silicon Valley now and know many super creative eccentrics in tech, art, academics, the maker community, etc and the one thing they have in common is they truly do not care what people (other than a select group of
peers) think about them. If you do start to care your work becomes derivative and you never have the vision or courage to create anything truly new. We care deeply about the work and you can engage around the work but the rest is dross.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I think the artists do who give a fuck what people think. The rest of us don't.

Conformity is very much giving a fuck. And most people try to conform, even the "non-conformists"
Artists are not exempt from this per se. But for those of us who are odd, the odd will out, regardless.
quote:

An artist is someone who believes they have something to say; and there's no point saying it if you know that no one is listening.

Creatives vary, in this. Some people feel the need to create even should no one ever take notice. Most do want others to notice, we are human and humans are social.
quote:

Most "eccentricities" I've come across are attention seeking rather than anything else.

I agree with comet, the most attention-seeking people I know are not eccentric by nature.
Eccentricity varies, not all of it is as big as comet's examples. Eccentrics can be attention seeking, but that is not the point

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most "eccentricities" I've come across are attention seeking rather than anything else. (I'm not saying that artists don't have anything to say; I have a lot of respect for art, but less respect for attention seeking stunts that pass as "eccentricities".)

Not in my case. I completely tone it down in public and still get called 'crazy'. When I'm alone is the only time I'm really myself.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, Comet, I suddenly have this incredible hankering to move to Alaska.

I would look normal there.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things that helps make the barren landscape that comprises our CBD bearable is the creativity and eccentrism of some of the inhabitants.

There is the artist who suggested that on the anniversay of the February quake roadcones be decorated with flowers in memory of those killed

And the cyclist who crochetted a roadcone in wool to fit over her helmet, or the person who put decoy ducks in the remains of the public swimming baths- just in time for the duckshooting season.

As the Art Gallery is still closed, copies of some of the paintings now adorn otherwise blank walls in various parts of the city, causing a tagger whose tag was obliterated to paint under one picture "Get this shit art back in the Gallery".

My favourite is my neighbour 2 doors away who used chicken-wire to sculpt a woman in her bath.

I have been surprised how much my spirts have been lifted by combination of art and eccentricty here and I hope that isn't lost when the city is rebuilt.

Before the quakes Christchurch had the reputation of being rather a staid place, maybe more was shaken up than just the earth.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

[*]man who made a woodstove to look like a rocketship ....... and while they have no indoor plumbing, beer comes out of the kitchen tap.

Man after my own heart

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I eccentric? Shit, I just posted here didn't I?
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I write, in a small way till lately but more intensely as I get older. Most of my friends are likewise, and I'd say we're all quietly askew from life. Conventional day jobs, keeping up appearances to keep paying the bills, but all the while... what? Trying to make sense of nonsense? Exhausting, which is why a pension, a mortgage paid and a free travel pass is so liberating! Real eccentricity is just kicking off the carapace and not giving a flying fuck.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

And I doubt that 'creatives' are alone in that dissonance. They just have that way of dealing with it.
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that folks like us who read the thoughts of strangers as an amusement, and who try to compose comments on those thoughts which we hope will find some audience while having no clue as to whether anyone is actually listening, must be pretty intensely social creatures. This makes me suspect that our 'eccentricities' (and I've been accused of some) are put out there as social signals in much the same way as our conformities. So we might prefer (as I do) not to work in a cubicle, and not to shit in the bath. I really don't know if it's possible to infer much from our individual and apparently arbitrary personal dissociation from a set of apparently equally arbitrary set of social conventions. I'm sure the sense of personal validation (superiority? Pride?) I really feel on 'not taking it from the Man' is something unhelpful, and certainly unconnected from anything Moral. For which I thank Christ for something on which to base a sense of what is Good.

This does not incline me to Take It From The Man [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a novelist, a parlous profession. I am old enough now to do what I am going to do, without caring much about what anybody thinks. And, just to show I am really eccentric, I am in the midst of knitting a life-sized giant squid out of acrylic worsted. It is six feet long and the 8 tentacles will be another six feet, the two feeder palps being 10 feet. Astonishingly, a local store has offered to sell it on consignment.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016