homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Required reading (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Required reading
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Imagine that in some improbable future a new polity is being set up - perhaps a space colony or a post-apocalyptic settlement. Imagine that the founding fathers decide that no-one should play a role in the government - either as a citizen-elector or as member of the governing council - without some training for the role. Imagine that the training is to consist of reading and demonstrating comprehension of one or more books. Imagine that it falls to you to select the book or books. Which would you choose ?

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lord of the Flies" would be a good start.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking of Ursula Le Guin's The dispossessed.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Canticle for Leibowitz

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Imagine that the training is to consist of reading and demonstrating comprehension of one or more books."

Interesting criterion. If we skip over the usual "Bible and Shakespeare" ( perfectly good candidates for demonstrating comprehension as well as their other merits), and also just those books I like, I'll throw in some other (very) less obvious choices:

Landau: Foundations of Analysis.

Hume: A Treatise of Human Nature.

Not what I'd advocate as "essential reading" perhaps; I'd add the works of John Rawls, and Eliot's Four Quartets as midway points between books for comprehension, as required by the OP, and imparting ideas that I would recommend.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an American, I find the U.S. Declaration of Independence useful.

You would have to edit out that part that talks about all men having certain unalienable rights, since your society is proposing that those rights be contingent on required reading.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:

Are you hoping they will recreate the government of Anarres, Urras, both, or neither?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--- "The One-Minute Manager"

--- "The Boy Scout Handbook"

--- "Peopleware"

--- a good one-volume summary of the history of almost any nation or town

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah, one of my very favourite novels! On similar lines, in terms of looking at the idea of setting up a new society with a (to some extent) blank slate, I'd suggest the Mars Trilogy. They are a bit lengthy, mind you.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Ah, one of my very favourite novels! On similar lines, in terms of looking at the idea of setting up a new society with a (to some extent) blank slate...
Pending Garasu's answer, I'll put you down as a closet Annaresti then. If so, I have two objections.

Firstly, you don't have a blank slate to start from. My main takeaway from that novel was that anarchism is an ideological luxury that requires a capitalistic counterpart to survive - if the Annaresti had had a blank slate they'd have died off pretty fast.

Secondly, you don't get what you (presumably) hoped for*. In the absence of strong leadership, the place ends up getting run by the ever-expanding bureaucracy.

*Unless of course you are on the B Ark...

[ 11. May 2014, 21:24: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would probably go for:

The Republic by Plato, the Ethics (both of them) and the Politics of Aristotle, the Bible, the works of Lucretius, and Cicero, and Epictetus, and Augustine and Bede, and Benedict, and Boniface and the Beowulf poet, and Anselm, and Aquinas, and Ockham, and Chaucer, and the Pearl and Guwain guy, and Fortescue, and Malory, and Shakespeare, and the Levellers and Milton, and Pope, and Locke, and Hume and Gibbon, and Austen, Byron, Shelley and Blake and Kierkegaard, and Macaulay and Mill and George Eliot and Dickens and Shaw, Ibsen Forster and Woolf, and Barth and Bonhoeffer and T.S Eliot, and De Lubac, and Sartre and Camus and Durrenmatt and Berlin and Popper and Gellner and Habermas and Hill and MacIntyre.

And anyone who thought this was exhaustive and definitive would get an automatic fail.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well yes, I wouldn't question any of those (and I'd add some mathematical and scientific classics), but the the OP said quite explicitly "reading for comprehension" and (it seemed to me) implied one book, or at most a few.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the abuses to which literacy tests have been put within living memory in the U.S., I'd recommend rebellion.

There are 45 folks on my case load right now. All have the right to vote. Only 4 can read beyond second-grade level.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Animal Farm

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dostoyevsky's Demons (or Devils, however one wishes to translate it).
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
I would probably go for:

The Republic by Plato, the Ethics (both of them) and the Politics of Aristotle, the Bible, the works of Lucretius, and Cicero, and Epictetus, and Augustine and Bede, and Benedict, and Boniface and the Beowulf poet, and Anselm, and Aquinas, and Ockham, and Chaucer, and the Pearl and Guwain guy, and Fortescue, and Malory, and Shakespeare, and the Levellers and Milton, and Pope, and Locke, and Hume and Gibbon, and Austen, Byron, Shelley and Blake and Kierkegaard, and Macaulay and Mill and George Eliot and Dickens and Shaw, Ibsen Forster and Woolf, and Barth and Bonhoeffer and T.S Eliot, and De Lubac, and Sartre and Camus and Durrenmatt and Berlin and Popper and Gellner and Habermas and Hill and MacIntyre.

And anyone who thought this was exhaustive and definitive would get an automatic fail.

Hmm, well, the fact that you yourself recognize that it could be seen as "exhaustive and definitive" might indicate that you protest a bit too much when you dismiss the idea that it is.

While I don't doubt that you have gleaned useful stuff from the books you list, to me, it does kinda read like some "Great Books Of Mankind" infommercial, where they tell you that you need to order all these books because they've been declared TGBOM, without actually telling you what the justifying content is.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
"The One-Minute Manager"

This is a postively appalling book measured on any axis.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Magna Carta is a good starting point. I've also found the social commentary contained in Jane Austen's works valuable in looking at how societies function(and they are enjoyable to read).

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, by Emmanuel Goldstein.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:

First book that popped into my mind too [Smile]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree on The Dispossessed
Would add Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban
and The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kafka - The Trial
Proust - Remembrance of Things Past
Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Agree on The Dispossessed

But why? What lessons would you hope they learned?

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:

First book that popped into my mind too [Smile]

Huia

Though if we were only allowed one "children's" book, I'd be making the case for The Tiger Who Came To Tea.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Given the abuses to which literacy tests have been put within living memory in the U.S., I'd recommend rebellion.

There are 45 folks on my case load right now. All have the right to vote. Only 4 can read beyond second-grade level.

What if there were an option to listen to (unabridged) audio versions of the book & demonstrate comprehension that way?
Though I would hope that any place that operated this system would have supports in place to ensure universal literacy or as close as possible to that

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Gildas Why the bible? Wont they have enough problems to deal with as it is?
Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who would be in the governing group, I would require some understanding of the volumes of Richard Feynman's Lectures on Physics.

It seems to me that lack of knowledge of science is something which plagues most current legislatures.

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Eagleman - INCOGNITO

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Machiavelli's The Prince yet...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the Bible (and, George Spigot, its problems are its appeal), I would say (just off the top of my head):

1984 by George Orwell

The Visit, a play by Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Miracles by CS Lewis

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Communist Manifesto
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Silent Acolyte: tongue in cheek. (I assume many of these other answers are also not serious. It is hard to take Gildas's list seriously, for instance.)
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dao De Jing
Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leviathan - Hobbes

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, skipping over some of the suggestions to read the entire Western Canon before you're allowed to vote, I'll make my mark for Darrell Huff's "How to lie with statistics" - it's a slim paperback, doesn't require advanced mathematic or linguistic skills, but if people read and understood it, we'd suffer from far less idiocy.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

What if there were an option to listen to (unabridged) audio versions of the book & demonstrate comprehension that way?
There are still a lot of people who would have trouble comprehending most of the books listed on this thread. I'd be less disturbed if any would-be legislator had to show such ability--even that feels elitist, but less so than the de facto money requirements in the US--but to require it for voting seems very dangerous to me.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. 1 was my 1st. No. 3 I was only rhapsodizing over on Saturday and No. 2, yep.

And Brave New World.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second Brave New World.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
No. 2, yep.

I really liked The Dispossessed too, but despite it being mentioned several times, so far nobody on here has enlightened me as to what our new bunch of Founding Fathers are supposed to learn from it that will be useful for constructing their brave new world. That they need to bring a capitalist one along in tow?

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

The premise for the thread worries me a bit. I might worry more about the character and judgement of a leader than about his or her education. I suppose it is easier to list books than to address such other matters.
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

It had seemed to me that the premise of the thread was not to propose books that would form a basis or canon for a continuation or establishment of a culture, but one or a few books which demanded an understanding to some extent separate from content or even relevance.

Clearly my understanding was absolutely different from the consensus of the thread.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
I would probably go for:

Hmm, well, the fact that you yourself recognize that it could be seen as "exhaustive and definitive" might indicate that you protest a bit too much when you dismiss the idea that it is.

While I don't doubt that you have gleaned useful stuff from the books you list, to me, it does kinda read like some "Great Books Of Mankind" infommercial, where they tell you that you need to order all these books because they've been declared TGBOM, without actually telling you what the justifying content is.

OK, boringly, we're going into space, so our tech means we are taking libraries (E-books and not individual volumes). We don't have an infinite library at our behest but we don't have to agonize infinitely as to whether or not to take "Being and Time" or "Aunts aren't gentlemen". Of course, that doesn't deny that any such element involves an element of parlour game.

Secondly, we ought to take a plurality of volumes, just because. To be well read is to own or to have access to a library, not a book, and your library will not necessarily back you up all the way.

Thirdly, at some point we will come up against the incommensurability of human values and if we have a big library we will at least be aware of that. Whatever happens we won't have a long list of books that all agree with one another, but it doesn't follow from that we ought to dismiss them. My list isn't definitive, but it is varied (albeit challengable) but a purely Marxist, or Thomist or whatever list would be just plain wrong.

Obviously, one's mileage will vary.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Animal Farm

Ditto.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Origin of Species by Darwin.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

In Arthur C. Clarke's Songs of a distant Earth the exiles get to take a broad swathe of literature and cultural artefacts except anything mentioning religion.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Animal Farm

Ditto.
And likewise. Not least because you don't need to be a philosopher king to understand it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Collected Essays, Articles and Reviews of George Orwell

Lampedusa's 'The Leopard'

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
As an American, I find the U.S. Declaration of Independence useful.

You would have to edit out that part that talks about all men having certain unalienable rights, since your society is proposing that those rights be contingent on required reading.

Why? The founding fathers didn't feel the need to edit out that bit, even though they were essentially proposing that those rights be contingent on being white.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catch-22

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - cos you'd need to demonstrate a sense of humour as well as other qualities.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016