homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Death sentence for being Christian

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Death sentence for being Christian
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mariam Yahya a Sudanese was raised as a Christian but with a Muslim father who left when she was young. She is to be executed if she does not renounce her faith by Thursday. As there is little media or international interest would you pass it on please as it might save her. Al Jazera did feature it – thank you - [link removed]

Would you mind passing it on via social media etc it might just save a life. [link removed]

[edited title to fix a typo]

[ 16. May 2014, 12:06: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She is a doctor and married to a USA citizen. One wonders if those factors each contribute to her being viewed as a "traitor."

Christianity Today article

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

How long Lord?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amnesty are also concerned about Meriem. [Votive]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Much as this may be a matter of concern, the Ship is not a place to pass on links to encourage people to support a cause, sign a petition and so on.

If anyone wants to discuss the issues, feel free to do so, but please use links in line with the Ten Commandments and Guidelines.

/hosting

[ 15. May 2014, 10:23: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly don't condone this sort of thing, but how long ago was it that Christians were doing the same to "blasphemous heretics"?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus, with due respect, I think you misinterpreted the link – it was to an article in Al Jazeera describing the case. It was relatively factual and neutral. It did not promote any cause or ask people to sign petitions etc.

It was simply that the article described the case better than I could.

Today there is an article in the Guardian.

Posts on the ship often feature links to articles or other references.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Posting links accompanied by encouragement to others to repost them elsewhere (which you did twice), irrespective of how worthy the cause is felt to be, falls under Commandment 9. Others have simply posted links to the story and there is plenty of room for discussion of it within the rules on that basis.

If you wish to discuss this further, the Styx is the place to do so.

/hosting

[ 15. May 2014, 13:09: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I certainly don't condone this sort of thing, but how long ago was it that Christians were doing the same to "blasphemous heretics"?

Best I can tell the last heretic executed by Christians was in 1826. So, the answer to your question is nearly 200 years ago. For a time when executing heretics was remotely common, go back about 200 years before that.

What does that have to do with the price of bratwurst in Madison?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many Muslims are today facing really tough conversations with their work mates/ friends/ family members over this decision. The situation has shocked and appalled Muslims as well as non Muslims.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What ways can we bless these benighted brothers?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Monstrous.

Still, at least they're going to allow her to give birth first before hanging her. So that's alright then. [Mad]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Qur'an says that there should be no compulsion in religion.

This is a case of bad, man-made, sharia law.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please sign this petition for Meriam and share on Facebook and Twitter. It already has over 144,000 signatures.

[link removed]

Thanks.

XXX

[ 25. May 2014, 19:17: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

hosting/

Scooby-Doo, as has already been pointed out twice on this thread, posting a link to encourage people to sign a petition is a breach of Commandment Nine.

[edited to add]: Plus, I see you were already told to desist in All Saints. Don't do it again.

/hosting

[ 25. May 2014, 19:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was chuffed to get this about my petition.

Dear [name removed] - The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, asked me to write thanking you for your message about Merriam Ibrahim. He has read with sadness and great concern the news about her being sentenced to death in Sudan for her Christian faith, and is being kept informed of developments. He prays that the Government of Sudan will uphold its international obligations on freedom of religion or belief, and to do all it can to get this decision overturned. He trusts that people of goodwill everywhere to join him in calling on the Sudanese authorities do the right and humane thing by releasing Merriam Ibrahim, and asks you to join him in praying for Merriam and her family.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write.

With best wishes
Andrew Nunn Correspondence Secretary to the Archbishop of Canterbury

Lambeth Palace, London SE1 7JU www.archbishopofcanterbury.org [link removed]

[ 25. May 2014, 19:24: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

hosting/

I'll assume that was a cross-post, but please note that your post is not relevant to the subject of the discussion here, either.

Purgatory is not about raising support for any campaign, however important you believe the cause to be.

[Edited to add]: I have also removed your (presumably) real name from the reply you received.

/hosting

[ 25. May 2014, 19:25: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016