homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Conchita

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Conchita
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
- sausage, of course. Isn't she lovely? Is this the place to say so? I never heard the song, only caught a glimps of her, and all the applause.

The fact that thousands of Austrians wanted her banned was a bittersweet discovery later.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been a fair amount of discussion of her on this thread.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um . . . what?

Or is this yet another aspect of European politics that the US news media is ignoring in favor of covering Our Violent Weather / Firenados / oil spills, etc.?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Um . . . what?

Or is this yet another aspect of European politics that the US news media is ignoring in favor of covering Our Violent Weather / Firenados / oil spills, etc.?

It's about the Eurovision Song contest. Americans don't usually follow it because it makes us too smug about our own popular music.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eurovision is really not popular music !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the US doesn't have Eurovision because it has the Tonys instead. I believe each continent has a Maximum Campness Quotient (MCQ) which it is dangerous to exceed. The MCQ of the US it completely filled by the Tonys. [Biased]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
No, the US doesn't have Eurovision because it has the Tonys instead. I believe each continent has a Maximum Campness Quotient (MCQ) which it is dangerous to exceed. The MCQ of the US it completely filled by the Tonys. [Biased]

[Killing me]
Tonys are only one night, though, so are they more intensely camp?

[ 16. May 2014, 22:21: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

Sadly, although the Mumford & Sons type stuff this year was as close to popular music as it's ever got. The Netherlands' entry in particular.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Sadly, although the Mumford & Sons type stuff this year was as close to popular music as it's ever got. The Netherlands' entry in particular.
Netherlands wasn't Mumford & Sons. It was Country and Western.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Um . . . what?

I was in the US last week and Eurovision was covered on NPR.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

I know, but it's a similar style. Country and folk are very closely related.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:
Um . . . what?

I was in the US last week and Eurovision was covered on NPR.
Which proves the point: NPR is hardly "popular" itself (although there is a small set of diehard fans, which the Almighty Market can safely ignore)

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

ISTM Malta were nearer to the Mumfords.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link to the actual performance but it gave this library PC hiccups. I'll have to find a good friend with a spare seat.

But anyway, isn't she just lovely?

Sod going to Hell to say that.

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my opinion, she is more beautiful than most pop stars out there, male or female, and pretty talented too.

She's not even that transgressive of gender norms. Sheesh. If you want nontraditional gender identity and/or role expression to get your knickers in a twist about, do a google image search of "genderqueer."

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
In my opinion, she is more beautiful than most pop stars out there, male or female, and pretty talented too.

I think she is quite beautiful to look at and very attractive, I could look at her for hours. Talented too, it's good to see a deserving winner.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
aunt jane
Shipmate
# 10139

- Posted      Profile for aunt jane         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well I thought Netherlands should have won. Conchita has a good voice, just a shame the song she sang was dreary.
Posts: 97 | From: South East of England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

ISTM Malta were nearer to the Mumfords.
Indeed. The Netherlands sounded nothing like them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016