homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Regulation of Sunday schools

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Regulation of Sunday schools
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's about time that we stopped leaving this to churches, don't you think?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churches in the UK generally have very short Sunday school sessions, not comparable to the amount of time Muslim children spend at madrassas or indeed the amount of time Jewish children spend at shul. In the church I was at for the longest time, the children were out of the service for 20 minutes during the sermon, and that was it. Generally all Sunday schools run for a shorter time than the main service.

However I would be for denominations (or maybe for the CoE, strands within the denomination) drawing up their own codes of conduct.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Churches in the UK generally have very short Sunday school sessions, not comparable to the amount of time Muslim children spend at madrassas or indeed the amount of time Jewish children spend at shul.

If they're too short to be effective, maybe we should give up on them entirely?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Churches in the UK generally have very short Sunday school sessions, not comparable to the amount of time Muslim children spend at madrassas or indeed the amount of time Jewish children spend at shul.

If they're too short to be effective, maybe we should give up on them entirely?
But I didn't say they were too short to be effective? I don't think that's the case.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

So don't they need regulation?

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I don't think they need regulation in the way madrassas are perhaps going to be, according to the article. I do think a code of conduct for within the denomination in question is a good thing to have anyway.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The proposals look to me like another bit of Islamophobia in action.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

On the one hand, what is being described is a voluntary code of conduct. On the other hand, I suspect we know all about "voluntary".

If anyone has a convincing argument as to why a madrassah should be subject to more regulation than a children's orchestra, for example, the I'd like to hear it.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Dafyd
quote:
I don't think so, bearing in mind that we're they're talking about places that some children go to 7 days a week, and for long periods of time.

As far back as 2011 it was reported that more than 300 cases of corporal punishment in madrassas had been reported to police in only 3 years: bearing in mind that the reports were from muslim parents it was thought the problem was likely to be greater.

Madrassas in private homes are completely unregulated, whereas the humblest church Sunday School helper (at least in the CofE) has to go through safeguarding checks and CRB. Yes, some madrassas are regulated but the present scheme is voluntary.

For goodness sake, every member of my choir has had to go through checks, notwithstanding that they arrive for services and rehearsals after the children and leave before them and have separate vestries.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

As far back as 2011 it was reported that more than 300 cases of corporal punishment in madrassas had been reported to police in only 3 years: bearing in mind that the reports were from muslim parents it was thought the problem was likely to be greater.

And corporal punishment in private schools, including in madrassahs, has been illegal in England and Wales since 1999.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By 'Sunday schools' do you mean 'madrases' and by 'churches' do you mean 'mosques'? Otherwise, I'm not sure how the article relates to your argument?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That article lists three provisions in the code:

1. Police checks for teachers
2. No corporal punishment
3. No 'extremism' (real quotes, not scare quotes)

Point 1 and 2 are the law of the land anyway. I guess Point 3 has the potential for double standards if there are views that can legitimately be called 'extremist', which can be heard in both madrassas and Sunday schools, but which are only outlawed in madrassas. Quite honestly I don't think this is the case.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the C of E, D & B (formerly CRB) checks are already mandatory.

Corporal punishment is illegal.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So don't they need regulation?

What do you mean by "regulation"? That just means 'organisation and rules'. How can we possibly decide whether we think organising and making rules for religious teaching to children is a good idea unless we know what sort of organisation and rules you have in mind?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
In the C of E, D & B (formerly CRB) checks are already mandatory.

I assume they are for other denominations too, they are certainly carried in our NFI church and we have the usual child safety officers.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
aunt jane
Shipmate
# 10139

- Posted      Profile for aunt jane         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Dafyd
quote:
Madrassas in private homes are completely unregulated, whereas the humblest church Sunday School helper (at least in the CofE) has to go through safeguarding checks and CRB. Yes, some madrassas are regulated but the present scheme is voluntary
In practice, any teaching, religious, Christian, Muslim or otherwise that happens in private homes on a voluntary basis is going to be difficult to regulate, report to the police or legislate about. Trying to portray this as a Muslim versus Christian issue is not helpful.
Posts: 97 | From: South East of England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
aunt jane
Shipmate
# 10139

- Posted      Profile for aunt jane         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spend more time worrying about children who receive no Christian guidance at all than I do about badly - run schools for other faiths.
I have to admit I've never understood the point of "Sunday schools" that just "teach" something with a vaguely Biblical theme. Children work hard enough five days per week in real schools without having to spend Sunday morning learning how to make a doll that's supposed to resemble Noah. Children need to be encouraged to develop a personal relationship with God through prayer, and some Sunday schools don't bother with this at all, but just seem like a strange way to stop noisy children disturbing what is perceived as the real church.

Posts: 97 | From: South East of England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016