homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » A misunderstood man? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A misunderstood man?
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that the pros and cons haven't really been debated properly and it would be nice to see the arguments either way put to the test. Some EU-sceptics seem to think everything will be fine and dandy and problem-free outside the EU. Some EU-philes seem to think supplies of claret will dry up if we were to leave. I think both exaggerate their cases and a proper debate is to be welcomed.

While I've long been ambivalent about the EU, I used to think 'on balance we should stay in'. Since the Eurozone crisis, I've noticed that those who champion Britain remaining in the EU are exactly the same people who thought the British economy would be doomed if we didn't join the single currency. In some cases the words are exactly the same except they've substituted 'EU' for 'Euro'. I now reckon we probably wouldn't be that much worse off outside and we should give it a go.

I think the interesting paradox about Farage is that while he has been very successful in putting EU membership on the political agenda, he's really not the man to make the case for withdrawal. If UKIP remains on the political scene until 2017, we could see UKIP help secure a referendum and then be responsible for losing it.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Tempted to vote BNP !?!

Possibly there is not a lot of point in our having a conversation. Because there is no way on God's green earth that was ever your only option for a protest vote.

A protest vote and a rage vote are not the same thing . If you've never experienced the type of rage, which is unique in attracting someone to far right politics, then I agree we'll probably not find any joint understanding of it.

Having said that it is a phenomenon the two main parties will urgently have to get their heads around before next May . I don't somehow think photo shoots on hospital wards, shaking hands with a few pensioners, and patting the odd baby on the head is quite going to cut it next time around.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still don't get why you'd vote for them, or wish to, over any other non-mainstream party. They are one of a great many non-mainstream parties - what are you enraged about ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Don't really want go into my rage DT, past or present, other than say it peaked with the farm protests of 98 or thereabouts.
Why do some angry people gravitate towards Nationalist/semi Nationalist politics ? I don't know, better leave that for the psychologists to answer .

On the broader issue, I'm not sure that decades of trying to demonise British nationalism has been particularly good for the spiritual health of the British people.
It was certainly a foolish tactic to try and brand ordinary, law-abiding folk concerned about mass immigration as foaming-at-the-mouth, Union Jack wrapped racists . Add that to the after effects of a recession and there you have your problem -- that's presuming one believes the growth in support for a far right party is a problem.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What effect of mass immigration ?

The recession is not, and was not, caused by immigration. The idea that some how our jobs are being stolen, is not based on fact. And believe me, enough people have tried looking*.

So what problem is the BNP meant to solve ?

(*If you want, I can provide you sources.)

[ 25. May 2014, 21:14: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Also, what's the issue with suggesting people could be racist - the vast majority of the UK population were until at least the latter part of the twentieth century - its not like you could throw a switch and change the attitudes of centuries overnight.

(I am struggling to understand on what basis you describe yourself as liberal btw.)

[ 25. May 2014, 21:19: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
What effect of mass immigration ?

The recession is not, and was not, caused by immigration.

I know that .

Unfortunately a popular perception is now growing that the effect of mass immigration is detrimental to the UK. It matters not whether it's real or imagined because it's what a growing number of people are coming to believe.
Why the freakin hell else do you think both main parties are now being panicked into muttering about try to reduce it ?!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

When what they should be doing is trying to change the perception not pandering to it - if they know it to be false.

If they knew it to be true, that would be a good reason to try to reduce immigration.

(Especially as there is good evidence that immigration improves economic performance, and we need all the help we can get in that direction.)

[ 26. May 2014, 08:30: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rupert Myers, a Guardian writer who seems to have have been somehow involved with left-of-centre campaigns in the election(though it's not clear in what capacity), argues that racism is of comparitively minor importance among the reasons for UKIP's electoral appeal.

He also makes the related observation that the UKIP's lack of support in London is not because London is more tolerant, but because it is more affluent.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Especially as there is good evidence that immigration improves economic performance, and we need all the help we can get in that direction.)

It wasn't that long ago that there was much wailing about a decreasing workforce that would not be able to sustain the growth in pensioners dependent upon state aid.

The blunt truth is that without the immigrants (be they Polish, Romanian, Pakistani or whoever) coming and working here, the UK would not be able (in the long run) to generate enough tax to pay pensions etc. The economic necessity of immigration is pretty overwhelming.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Rupert Myers, a Guardian writer who seems to have have been somehow involved with left-of-centre campaigns in the election(though it's not clear in what capacity), argues that racism is of comparitively minor importance among the reasons for UKIP's electoral appeal.

He also makes the related observation that the UKIP's lack of support in London is not because London is more tolerant, but because it is more affluent.

Yeah, but my argument would be that jumping to blame immigrants for the housing problem *is* either dumb or racist. Much as it pains me to cite the Dail Mail (I originally got heads up about Cahill's work from BBC radio) this might interest you - the book can be found here. Britain is a long, long, long way from being full. The housing shortage is a choice.

[ 26. May 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(I think this has been updated recently, but I couldn't find the link.)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're at the housing shortage, here are the latest stats from the Empty Homes campaign.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

The blunt truth is that without the immigrants (be they Polish, Romanian, Pakistani or whoever) coming and working here, the UK would not be able (in the long run) to generate enough tax to pay pensions etc. The economic necessity of immigration is pretty overwhelming.

The problem some commentators note, though, is that immigrants themselves grow old and need care. They'll have fewer children, who will in any case become 'assimilated', thus becoming unwilling or unable do the jobs their parents did; so yet more immigrants will be needed. Meanwhile, the basic structural and cultural issues in society that created the shortages in the first place will remain unaddressed. The situation doesn't sound sustainable in the long run.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When what they should be doing is trying to change the perception not pandering to it - if they know it to be false.

If they knew it to be true, that would be a good reason to try to reduce immigration.

The Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration of University College London has just produced this interesting paper entitled "What do we know about migration?" which has a lot of interesting statistical information about the situation in the UK.

A lot of it seems quite contrary to the public perception. I wish the public debate was based more around this kind of information than ill-informed opinion forming a thin veneer over underlying prejudice.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The recession is not, and was not, caused by immigration.

Has anyone actually claimed this to be the case? This is a new one on me.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Research shows that people become more anti-immigration during economic downturns. The "they are nicking scarce jobs" phenomenon.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
The problem some commentators note, though, is that immigrants themselves grow old and need care. They'll have fewer children, who will in any case become 'assimilated', thus becoming unwilling or unable do the jobs their parents did; so yet more immigrants will be needed.

Well, in the case of EU immigrants, they are generally here for shortish periods of time and then return to their home country, especially if they are doing low skilled work. So the above doesn't necessarily apply.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

If people become more anti-immigration during a recession, it doesn't follow that anyone has claimed that immigrants caused the recession, surely?

Also, I thought it was pretty much widely accepted that the vast majority of new jobs created in Britain in the 2000s actually went to immigrants? (Some estimates put the figure at over 90%.) While that's not exactly 'they're nicking our jobs' one can see how it might create some degree of resentment.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It is not a low profile claim.

My problem with current politics on all sides of the political spectrum is the idea that, people think such and such a thing (often because such and such a media outlet is pushing the idea) therefore we will respond as if it were true - regardless of whether we have evidence supporting said opinion. Politicians don't make meaningful arguments for their views anymore.

It is quite literally an example of one definition of bullshit - in that it is a concern over appearances that is indifferent to what reality may actually be.

[ 26. May 2014, 22:51: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

The only relevant, direct quote in that article is this, by the Prime Minister:

quote:
'Remember what we started with in the UK: an economy built on the worst deficit, the most leveraged banks, the most indebted households, the biggest housing boom and unsustainable levels of public spending and immigration.'
While debate can be had as to whether large-scale, uncontrolled immigration is the problem or the solution, I struggle to make the leap from this quote to the claim that 'immigrants caused the recession'.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially as the UK is now emerging from recession, by most accounts. Does this mean then that immigration has slowed down, thus leading to a mild recovery? I don't think anybody believes that.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

Also, I thought it was pretty much widely accepted that the vast majority of new jobs created in Britain in the 2000s actually went to immigrants? (Some estimates put the figure at over 90%.) While that's not exactly 'they're nicking our jobs' one can see how it might create some degree of resentment.

If this claim is true (and I'd like to see more concrete evidence before accepting it)the question still remains of why employers would choose to employ immigrants rather than UK born people. Surely everyone is free to apply for the jobs going? And you would have thought that having English as your first language would be an advantage. So is it that there is a shortage of the necessary skills amongst the UK born population? In which case we'd be in trouble without the immigrants. If it is because employers find they are better workers in some way then those who want to be in competition for these jobs need to up their game. If it is that these jobs don't pay enough to attract UK born people as it is not a living wage, that needs to be addressed through campaigning for better minimum wages and employment standards that must be adhered to by employers regardless of where their employees come from (surely this is already true?).

Anyway, the research briefing paper I linked to in my last post suggests that the evidence does not strongly support the claim that immigrant labour pushes wages down.

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unemployment in the UK is currently just over two million people.

We have had threads on this board in which posters who suggest that those people should go out and get jobs are shouted down on the grounds that there simply aren't enough jobs out there for them all.

And yet the same people saying there aren't enough jobs for all the unemployed people will then turn up on threads such as this one and say that we need more people of working age in the country.

One or other of those arguments must, logically, be false. Either there are plenty of jobs (in which case it's perfectly valid to question why so many people don't want to do them), or there aren't enough jobs (in which case bringing in more immigrants is just going to increase the number of unemployed people in the country).

Which is it?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the farmer next door to me (anecdote coming up), just says that he employs East Europeans on the land, because the local English youths can't be arsed to bend their back picking the sugarbeet.

He also says that they prefer sitting in their bedroom playing X-box. Somehow, I doubt that, since you can't just draw unemployment pay these days, while sitting on your backside.

Still, it's a common opinion in Norfolk.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Unemployment in the UK is currently just over two million people.

We have had threads on this board in which posters who suggest that those people should go out and get jobs are shouted down on the grounds that there simply aren't enough jobs out there for them all.

And yet the same people saying there aren't enough jobs for all the unemployed people will then turn up on threads such as this one and say that we need more people of working age in the country.

One or other of those arguments must, logically, be false. Either there are plenty of jobs (in which case it's perfectly valid to question why so many people don't want to do them), or there aren't enough jobs (in which case bringing in more immigrants is just going to increase the number of unemployed people in the country).

Which is it?

This would be so, were there a fixed number of jobs in the economy. There are not; the larger the population, the more jobs there are in it. Inasmuch as immigration increases the population, it also increases the job pool.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Well, the farmer next door to me (anecdote coming up), just says that he employs East Europeans on the land, because the local English youths can't be arsed to bend their back picking the sugarbeet.

He also says that they prefer sitting in their bedroom playing X-box. Somehow, I doubt that, since you can't just draw unemployment pay these days, while sitting on your backside.

It's probably more a case that it's rather difficult to get to a field ten miles from the nearest bus route somewhere south of Sheringham at 6am, unless you've got a gangmaster filling up a transit van to drive out there.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
It's probably more a case that it's rather difficult to get to a field ten miles from the nearest bus route somewhere south of Sheringham at 6am, unless you've got a gangmaster filling up a transit van to drive out there.

Yes, like I said earlier, in Germany travel passes are often given by the employer. My son had them for all his low paid jobs for tram, bus and train, it's also much much more bike -friendly there. If we gave travel passes to the unemployed we'd be getting somewhere imo. People simply can't afford to travel to minimum wage jobs.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Local observation: Since the weekend, various people seems to feel that they can be as openly verbally racist as they like. Last week this would not have been the case.

Is anyone else finding this?

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

But they've always used vans to bring labour in, as yes, there are no buses. 20 years ago, the field workers were all English. There is an argument that furriners accept lower wages, but I don't know about that. Presumably, they get the minimum wage, although you hear horror stories of lower wages.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

But they've always used vans to bring labour in, as yes, there are no buses. 20 years ago, the field workers were all English. There is an argument that furriners accept lower wages, but I don't know about that. Presumably, they get the minimum wage, although you hear horror stories of lower wages.
Thing is, the farmer can effectively outsource the entire operation, including the van, to the gangmaster.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Karl

So you are saying that it's cheaper for the gangmaster to use foreign labour? Yes, maybe that's correct. Some of them are housed in horrible huts and cabins, which probably English guys would not tolerate.

[ 27. May 2014, 11:11: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Karl

So you are saying that it's cheaper for the gangmaster to use foreign labour? Yes, maybe that's correct. Some of them are housed in horrible huts and cabins, which probably English guys would not tolerate.

Nor would they if they'd known that was what was meant by "accommodation and transport provided" on the ad they answered back in their original country. In some cases, at any rate.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Local observation: Since the weekend, various people seems to feel that they can be as openly verbally racist as they like. Last week this would not have been the case.

Is anyone else finding this?

Yes; not just racist but anti-gay and generally anti-liberal/ progressive. It seems that UKIP have tapped into quite a vein of feeling there....worryingly...

[ETA - just a snapshot of RL and online/ social media conversations.]

[ 27. May 2014, 12:00: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Karl

Nor would they if they'd known that was what was meant by "accommodation and transport provided" on the ad they answered back in their original country. In some cases, at any rate.
I was just thinking - low pay, shit conditions, no union membership, no holiday pay, no sick pay, instant dismissal - it's UKIP heaven, isn't it? O Brave New World.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Karl

I was just thinking - low pay, shit conditions, no union membership, no holiday pay, no sick pay, instant dismissal - it's UKIP heaven, isn't it? O Brave New World.
Why would UKIP want that if it means high immigration?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Karl

I didn't mean that. I mean that low pay and poor conditions etc., is heaven for right-wing employers, whether for the English work force, or the foreign work-force.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There is no necessary correlation between the two issues, and UKIP aren't normally hobbled by such trifling issues as consistency.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doug Saunders argues that the far-right gains are less impressive than they seem at first glance.

Basically, once you sweep away the media hype, most Eurpeans rejected the far-right, no other parties will work with them, and some of the anti-Europe vote actually went to the left. Or so Saunders argues.

[ 27. May 2014, 14:14: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Doug Saunders argues that the far-right gains are less impressive than they seem at first glance.

Basically, once you sweep away the media hype, most Eurpeans rejected the far-right, no other parties will work with them, and some of the anti-Europe vote actually went to the left. Or so Saunders argues.

The BBC coverage of the local elections was simply shameful, and little better for the European. The majority of Europe kept their heads, didn't swing to the far right, and indeed voted for pro-integration parties. If you want to consider the UK only, Eurosceptic parties gained only about half the vote on a low turnout. If you think that the Tories can renegotiate the terms of the treaties (not impossible) and recommend that we stay in, then there's a massive majority in favour of staying in the EU.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Yes, like I said earlier, in Germany travel passes are often given by the employer. My son had them for all his low paid jobs for tram, bus and train, it's also much much more bike -friendly there. If we gave travel passes to the unemployed we'd be getting somewhere imo. People simply can't afford to travel to minimum wage jobs.
It does rather presuppose that there is a bus to use a travel pass on. Without any form of public transport a travel card is a worthless piece of paper.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:

Surely it depends on which Ukippers you speak to...
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Also, what's the issue with suggesting people could be racist - the vast majority of the UK population were until at least the latter part of the twentieth century - its not like you could throw a switch and change the attitudes of centuries overnight.

(I am struggling to understand on what basis you describe yourself as liberal btw.)

Oh look, my lack of surprise is depressing me. But then, I have had a client who moved back to London on the grounds she wasn't willing to live in a place where a five year old child called her a nigger on a public street . And we have had to advise members of the public that referring to one of our staff members as a fucking black bitch is not acceptable.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just seen that reported in the morning news I was just coming here to add a link. I think it almost has to be the case that UKIP gained by tapping into that background of racism, they certainly tapped into the concerns over immigration that the same survey enumerates. I struggle to understand how people can hold racist views, in my mind it just defies all bases of rationalism and I can't get my mind to work in a sufficiently irrational way to understand, but such views are evidently there. We left our last church because of the lack of welcome offered to people who weren't like them - which was hidden when I first arrived because I was sufficiently like them, and I suspect I chose to ignore the signs over several years as others came and didn't get the welcome I'd been offered, the point where it became apparent was when a potential minister preached and people expressed dissatisfaction with his nationality and that his partner is black (the questions about his sexuality were not a surprise, as that's a hot issue in the church ... but I'd expected race to no longer be an issue).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
quote:

It does rather presuppose that there is a bus to use a travel pass on. Without any form of public transport a travel card is a worthless piece of paper.
And since since Thatcher we've been labouring under the misapprehension that the primary purpose of running a bus company is to make money, rather than to provide public transport, most often there isn't one.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC report certainly made depressing news to me too. I think that the issue though is perhaps more nuanced than that: I suspect that people who voted UKIP are more concerned about the (perceived) scale of immigration and (perceived) lack of integration (which, although discrete, are perhaps linked) than they are about the fact of immigration or indeed the race of the immigrants.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And since since Thatcher we've been labouring under the misapprehension that the primary purpose of running a bus company is to make money, rather than to provide public transport, most often there isn't one.
Goes back a wee bit further than that - I refer you to the Reshaping of Britain's Railways (1963); otherwise known around the bazaars as the Beeching Axe.

This was a bit like having a tripartite secondary school system, but never really building the third leg (technical schools).

Concomitant to the line closures was an assumption (on Beeching's part)/promise (on the government's) that all services on all closed lines would be replaced with bus routes.

Which didn't happen.

Even though buses were nationalised at the time.

Hence, whole areas which had rail links suddenly had no links (except private cars).

And the majority of closures happened through 1964, which makes the aftermath (and failure to do anything about it) Harold Wilson's fault. But then he closed more coal mines than Thatcher too....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes back a wee bit further than that - I refer you to the Reshaping of Britain's Railways (1963); otherwise known around the bazaars as the Beeching Axe.

This was a bit like having a tripartite secondary school system, but never really building the third leg (technical schools).

Concomitant to the line closures was an assumption (on Beeching's part)/promise (on the government's) that all services on all closed lines would be replaced with bus routes.

Which didn't happen.

Even though buses were nationalised at the time.

Hence, whole areas which had rail links suddenly had no links (except private cars).

And the majority of closures happened through 1964, which makes the aftermath (and failure to do anything about it) Harold Wilson's fault. But then he closed more coal mines than Thatcher too....

sorry, to clarify, 1964 saw the most closures, 1964 to about 1969 (Waverley Route) saw the majority of closures not 1964 by itself.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I suspect that people who voted UKIP are more concerned about the (perceived) scale of immigration and (perceived) lack of integration (which, although discrete, are perhaps linked) than they are about the fact of immigration or indeed the race of the immigrants.

I think perceptions are very important. The problem is how to dispel perceptions which are not actually based on reality? It's not something the government can easily do, especially not at the moment. A government statement with related research showing that immigrants are not displacing UK born workers (for example) would simply be dismissed as the government trying to knock UKIP back to shore up votes prior to the general election. It could, for that reason, be counter productive and actually increase the perception that "immigrants are nicking our jobs".

I note some of the comments on the BBC article when I read it this morning were pretty much along those lines - the BBC reporting this now as a reaction to UKIP gains in the EP elections, part of the establishment trying to suppress support for a party that threatens the main line parties.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the government had acted properly on the architects of the economic collapse, who have largely got away scot-free with all our money and are still able to pay themselves vast wealth they've neither earned or created, then I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016